A question about the opponents of gay marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:51:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  A question about the opponents of gay marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: A question about the opponents of gay marriage  (Read 12378 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:46:20 PM »

We all know that there are still people in America that don't want gay marriage to be legal.

If people are opposing gay marriage just because the Bible says that it's wrong, how come they aren't trying to shut down Red Lobster for serving shellfish (Leviticus says shellfish is unclean) or trying to stop retailers from selling clothes made from more than one type of fabric?

And how does two guys or two gals being married even affect other people's marriages?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:55:51 PM »

If people are opposing gay marriage just because the Bible says that it's wrong, how come they aren't trying to shut down Red Lobster for serving shellfish (Leviticus says shellfish is unclean) or trying to stop retailers from selling clothes made from more than one type of fabric?

From the perspective of Christianity, there are a couple different types of commands in the Old Testament: those pertaining to morality in general and those pertaining to the Mosaic Law that only apply to Jews. The reason why Christians are okay with eating shellfish is the same as the reason why Christianity doesn't require circumcision. Both are Jewish practices rather than universal moral truths.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »

From the perspective of Christianity, there are a couple different types of commands in the Old Testament: those pertaining to morality in general and those pertaining to the Mosaic Law that only apply to Jews. The reason why Christians are okay with eating shellfish is the same as the reason why Christianity doesn't require circumcision. Both are Jewish practices rather than universal moral truths.

And it's total nonsense, since there is no objective way of saying which belongs to which category. That's literally handpicking what you want and don't want in the Bible.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »

And it's total nonsense, since there is no objective way of saying which belongs to which category. That's literally handpicking what you want and don't want in the Bible.

That was decided before most of the New Testament was written (see the Council of Jerusalem). Christianity decided not to follow the Mosaic Law pertaining to Jewish customs right from the start.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:17:38 PM »

That was decided before most of the New Testament was written (see the Council of Jerusalem). Christianity decided not to follow the Mosaic Law pertaining to Jewish customs right from the start.

If I've gotten this straight, Christians are potentially disobeying God if they don't follow Jewish law.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 10:22:30 PM »

If I've gotten this straight, Christians are potentially disobeying God if they don't follow Jewish law.

Christians believe Jewish law was only for the Jews and that they don't have to follow Jewish law. Granted, a lot of Christ's commands and the others discussed in the New Testament match a lot of parts of Jewish Law. But, no, obviously Christians don't follow Jewish law. I thought everyone knew this... Huh
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »

We all know that there are still people in America that don't want gay marriage to be legal.

The Mosaic Law was repealed in Paul's epistles with the exception of the moral law which Paul affirms. As TJ noted, this issue was settled within the apostles' lifetime.

And how does two guys or two gals being married even affect other people's marriages?

Your problem here is that you are taking a secular moral framework and asking Christianity to justify itself according to the framework. Christianity rejects the framework altogether.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »

This is a silly argument that comes up over and over from people who aren't familiar with the Bible.  That's not to pick on you Arizonan as you aren't being a jerk about this and seem to be asking in good faith.

The claim that Christians are picking and choosing from the Bible because they eat shellfish but oppose gay marriage doesn't make any sense because the prohibition on shellfish was explicitly repealed in Acts 10. Actually, this argument is a pretty good test to see if a critic has no idea what the hell they are talking about.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »

Maybe a better question is why they should expect everyone else to obey Biblical law.

If gay people getting married and those who support their right to do so are condemned to an eternity in Hell, then that sounds like our problem more than it does yours.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »

Maybe a better question is why they should expect everyone else to obey Biblical law.

If gay people getting married and those who support their right to do so are condemned to an eternity in Hell, then that sounds like our problem more than it does yours.

I'm not an Evangelical at all, but I think here's the viewpoint:  fundamentalists think that homosexual acts are sinful according to the moral Biblical law.  Hence, gay marriage is offensive to God.  If they vote for a politician who supports giving legitimacy to this sinful activity by promoting marriage licenses to these couples, they are voting in favor of sin.  Essentially, Evangelicals see pro-gay marriage politicians as people giving "licenses" to sin.  Since Christianity divides people up into "saved" and "unsaved," many people would feel such politicians are "unsaved" because of what they support.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »

Yes, but if I endorsed gay marriage, I would be supporting sin, which is a sin in itself. I draw the line at civil unions not only due to societal tradition and what I feel the purpose of marraige to be, but also out of loyalty to god.

I support some gay marriage supporting politicians (Franken, Braley, Baker, Klobuchar, Heitkamp, Kirkpatrick etc.) because the rest of their platform doesn't suck and because their opposition isn't appealing enough for me. I don't believe I should ruin the world with worse politicians over one issue, and I don't feel that God expects me to do so. But on my views on gay marriage and whether I would vote for a law or referendum allowing it - the bible is clear - I must oppose it, no matter whether I want to or not, or I am going directly against the word of god, which I am always striving to avoid.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »

I must oppose it, no matter whether I want to or not, or I am going directly against the word of god, which I am always striving to avoid.

If you see married same sex couples, some who have been together for years, decades even and they are caring for each other, supporting each other, nursing each other through illness and death, do you see in that 'sinful acts'?

When my husband was in hospital and I held his hand as he went under general anaesthetic and he came out of it, do you think that was a sinful act? When I changed his bandages and washed his scars was that a sinful act? I did these things because I love him more than I've ever known how to love. Was it the result of 'sinful' lust?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »

It's kind of irrelevant.

My religion says so is not a valid public policy reason for anything.

We have secular law in the United States.  You can believe that homosexuality is a sin, eating pork is a sin or that music is a sin.  But, you can't ban music, pork or homosexuality because you think God hates those things.  I think that's pretty clear. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2015, 01:27:01 PM by Governor TDAS04 »

Opponent of SSM:  "Allowing the gay couple next door to get married violates my religious freedom."

Observant Jew:  "Allowing my neighbor to eat shrimp with cheese violates my religious freedom."

Observant Catholic:  "Don't allow my neighbor to eat steak on Friday.  It's against my religion."

All three arguments are equally idiotic.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »

A better question is why aren't the opponents of gay marriage also campaigning to prevent divorced people from marrying again?

There's a pretty strong overlap between denominations that restrict marriage to opposite-sex couples and those that make it difficult for people to have a second marriage. Yet you never, ever hear about businesses demanding the "right" to discriminate against remarried people or judges refusing to marry them or people forcing their views on remarriage onto people who don't share those views.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »

Opponent of SSM:  "Allowing the gay couple next door to get married violates my religious freedom."

Observant Jew:  "Allowing my neighbor to eat shrimp with cheese violates my religious freedom."

Observant Catholic:  "Don't allow my neighbor to eat steak on Friday.  It's against my religion."

All three arguments are equally idiotic.

It's funny that some people that are observant actually think in the manner of those quotes.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 06:29:52 PM »

I must oppose it, no matter whether I want to or not, or I am going directly against the word of god, which I am always striving to avoid.

If you see married same sex couples, some who have been together for years, decades even and they are caring for each other, supporting each other, nursing each other through illness and death, do you see in that 'sinful acts'?

When my husband was in hospital and I held his hand as he went under general anaesthetic and he came out of it, do you think that was a sinful act? When I changed his bandages and washed his scars was that a sinful act? I did these things because I love him more than I've ever known how to love. Was it the result of 'sinful' lust?

Gay Marriage is a sinful act. Now, caring for someone else is fine, and spousal hospital visitation rights are something  I'd be willing to allow under a civil union.

Homosexuals should be able to resist the urge to enter a full fledged marriage. I don't consider being/acting homosexual, or entering into a civil union that has clear differences from a marriage,  a sin. Caring for homos is not a sin, and I don't support conversion therapy or discrimination against homosexuals in education, employment, or provision of non-wedding-related services.

But once you enter into a full fledged gay marriage, or a gay civil union that is indistinguishable from a gay marriage, you are sinning and should be ashamed.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 06:31:37 PM »

Gay Marriage is a sinful act. Now, caring for someone else is fine, and spousal hospital visitation rights are something  I'd be willing to allow under a civil union.

Homosexuals should be able to resist the urge to enter a full fledged marriage. I don't consider being/acting homosexual, or entering into a civil union that has clear differences from a marriage,  a sin. Caring for homos is not a sin, and I don't support conversion therapy or discrimination against homosexuals in education, employment, or provision of non-wedding-related services.

But once you enter into a full fledged gay marriage, or a gay civil union that is indistinguishable from a gay marriage, you are sinning and should be ashamed.

Hilarious!
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 06:38:49 PM »

Hilarious!
Sin is never hilarious. It is filthy and abhorring to the eyes of god and all good christians. No one is perfect and everyone sins sometimes. But it is something that all good christians should strive to avoid.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »

Wulfric has to be trolling at this point
Panda Express

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »

Hilarious!
Sin is never hilarious. It is filthy and abhorring to the eyes of god and all good christians. No one is perfect and everyone sins sometimes. But it is something that all good christians should strive to avoid.

what would you do if your son was gay?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »

Never go full Bushie, dude.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »

Hilarious!

what would you do if your son was gay?

Simply encourage him to submit to god and not enter a gay marriage.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »

Hilarious!

The Bible doesn't mention gay marriage, right?  It talks about sodomy.  So, it seems like your position makes no sense.  If that's the basis, why not ban sodomy, assuming the Supreme Court is ok with banning sodomy?

And, again,
My religion says so is not a valid public policy reason for anything.

We have secular law in the United States.  You can believe that homosexuality is a sin, eating pork is a sin or that music is a sin.  But, you can't ban music, pork or homosexuality because you think God hates those things.  I think that's pretty clear. 
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »

Simply encourage him to submit to god and not enter a gay marriage.

Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies