Griffin for Senate - THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:37:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Griffin for Senate - THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Griffin for Senate - THIRD TIME'S THE CHARM  (Read 6953 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:49:59 AM »
« edited: March 16, 2015, 12:16:02 AM by Lowly Griff »

GRIFFIN FOR AT-LARGE SENATE - CAMPAIGN HQ

CONTINUING THE TRADITION OF RUNNING IN AT-LARGE SENATE SPECIAL ELECTIONS EVERY 54 WEEKS
And hopefully not losing by 1 vote like last time

February 15-17, 2013
February 28-March 2, 2014
March 13-15, 2015

MASON-DIXON LINE, DE - Atlasia is a game that runs in cycles. I recall being amused when I found myself up for confirmation as GM once again last year, with my confirmation hearing being in the exact week that it was one year prior. Similarly, I find myself running for Senate in an at-large special election 54 weeks after a previous run in the same situation, which too was 54 weeks after my first at-large Senate special election campaign. Perhaps it is the brisk winter climate that always ensures that a Senate seat opens up this time of the year, every year.

I enjoy a good challenge, and my past two at-large Senate races were hard-fought campaigns against some of the best politicians in the game, with plenty of political operative prowess backing them. I don't expect any less this time, and because of that, I don't feel as if your vote is obliged to me: I know I will need to earn it.

I believe that the experiences I have had in this game will allow me to serve you, the great people of this country, effectively from day one. In the past, I have served as a/an:

·         At-Large Senator

·         Regional legislator, across six terms in the South and Northeast

·         Imperial Speaker in the South

·         Northeast Lieutenant Governor

·         Party Chairman for seventeen months

·         Game Moderator (twice), for a total of eight months

·         Vice-President

But it’s not just about experience, because at the end of the day, it is about what that experience gets you. Whether you love me or disagree with me on key issues, the fact that I deliver results for those I represent and protect cannot be debated. As an at-large Senator, it will be my duty to look after the interests of all Atlasians. I can rub elbows, grease wheels, fill rooms with smoke and roll up my sleeves, all of which mean that I know how to get things done.

The critics in this election will try to make it solely about which party has a certain number of seats or will use buzz words to paint a picture they’d prefer you see, but those claims are not what the democratic process is about nor how we should pick our representatives.

I've proven time and time again that I will stand up to ridiculous economic excess like inflation-inducing minimum wages, as well as the automatic demonizing of those with whom we may have strong policy disagreements on the social front. A healthy debate about the issues is needed, for sure, but we cannot threaten the economic course of our country nor can we automatically shut out large segments of the game from participating because of our own passions and convictions.

I have always been a strong proponent of focusing on game-related mechanics to enhance the experience for all of us, and I see that continuing to be a focus of mine if elected to the Senate once again. I am passionate about maximizing our development of energies here at home and in renewable ways (and we have made considerable progress on this front already), then ensuring they are available to our citizens in the most cost-effective ways possible. I applaud the efforts of individuals such as Speaker Maxwell to enhance NASA funding, as we have to consider what the inevitability of the future has in store for us as well. There is much more to discuss, support and oppose in the coming days, but I won’t overwhelm everyone just yet.

And now, I will be more than happy to take questions and will do my best to shed light on key subjects of interest. Ask away! Smiley
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 05:38:38 AM »

Fully Endorsed.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 06:15:47 AM »

you have my vote
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »

Endorsed, of course!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »

Obviously endorsed
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »

Endorsed!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »

Thank you all for the support!
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »

Endorsed again! 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »

You got my vote, endorsed, good luck!
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »

What do you believe is the best way to stimulate and grow the economy?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 07:29:35 PM »

You've got my vote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »

Do you support banning limited liability companies?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »

You got my vote, endorsed, good luck!

Thank you so much!

I appreciate the questions and will answer them later this evening, once I've wrapped up my real-life work for the day.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »

Do you support banning limited liability companies?

I can't see myself supporting outright abolition, no. I am, however, weary of some of the current benefits that are allocated to them.

For instance, I do not like the notion that an LLC can effectively "select" its own tax rate by choosing to be one of many different entities. I may draw some ire here, but I also think it a bit silly to allow LLCs when we're only dealing with one person as well. When you have large companies and the liability is in fact many times not attributable to any one person, then that is a different story entirely.

I don't believe we have any federal regulation passed at the moment governing LLCs, which makes me think that there is a patchwork series of laws at the state or regional level governing how they function in each jurisdiction. As such, it makes it difficult for me to assess the current situation, but I do not think banning them outright is the ideal answer.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 10:33:55 PM »

What do you think about Thomas Piketty and his piece Capital in the 21st Century?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 11:00:39 PM »

What do you think about Thomas Piketty and his piece Capital in the 21st Century?

I'll be honest and say that I haven't read the book, but I've picked up bits and pieces of his broader theory over time. For the most part, I believe them to be true or at the very least, more relevant to capital and production today than the writings from the past. His broader formula of "r>g" I think really sums up why defense of unions, fair pay, and concepts such as inheritance taxes are always going to be necessary, rather than temporary "ebb and flow" reactions to a changing set of economic conditions. I do disagree with the notion that unequal access to skill sets is becoming a greater problem, if only on a technicality; I would say that access to learning skill sets is unprecedented in terms of availability, but rather the way in which we validate the obtainment of those skill sets is what is hurting us.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 11:02:49 PM »

Ja Wohl!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 02:09:06 AM »

What do you believe is the best way to stimulate and grow the economy?

I firmly believe that a bottom-up approach with the full backing of our public institutions is necessary to keep income inequality at bay and ensure we reach full employment. Ultimately, it comes down to needing as many people as possible spending as much money as possible within our economy, and what policies must be enacted to ensure that.

The government cannot in perpetuity employ a majority of the workers in this country, but it can ensure that a perpetual program is in place to make the most of those who are willing to do so. We have plenty of people in this country who want to work and who want to learn new skills but who cannot due to life's circumstances. I support programs that do the following:

• Find long-term unemployed individuals who are ready to improve their lives
  • Find businesses that would like to hire more workers but are uneasy about doing so currently
  • Stimulate local economies through the creation of more liquidity and naturally increased demand
  • Train workers in under-staffed fields that Atlasia needs to compete
  • Profit Huh

The individuals in question would need to meet three criteria:

• Be unemployed for more than six months
  • Be ready to go to work full-time
  • Be ready to go back to school full-time

We the public then ensure that the costs of going back to school and their wages both are covered for one to two-year periods. The individuals would work during the day and go to school (vocational training, predominantly) during the evening (or vice-versa in some cases). As long as they're enrolled in school and in an eligible field of study, their wages and school costs are covered.

Some of these jobs can be created in the public sector, but I envision that vast majority will be generated by pairing these workers with private businesses for a pre-determined period of time (3-6 months). We pay the wages, the workers develop resumes and get back into the work force, and if at the end of the period the business chooses not to hire the worker full-time, then we find them employment elsewhere. I believe, however, that a large chunk of businesses may choose to hire these people, in which case we continue to pay their school costs for the remainder of their training. Workers benefit, businesses benefit, local economies benefit, and the benefits will be both short-term and long-term in nature.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 02:32:33 AM »

FORMER VP GRIFFIN: COMMITTED TO ATLASIA FOR 10 YEARS

It is worth pointing out that my dedication to public service is guaranteed. While my opponents' reliability can be questioned, I am on record as being an Atlasian voter going back all the way to 2005. As such, you can rely on me to get the job done.

THE ONLY CANDIDATE WHO ENJOYS IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY

Can we really trust a Senator who doesn't know who Sweet Dee is, or just why she dropped the box of kittens? I, for one, don't even want to find out the answer to that question.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »

Endorsed, of course!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »

Thank you so much for the support, and Snowguy, I'm taking that as an endorsement. Wink

Please, keep the questions coming!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »

Endorsed, of course.

I would never consider voting for anyone that doesn't watch Sunny.

Are you also the only TPB fan in the race?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »

Endorsed, of course.

I would never consider voting for anyone that doesn't watch Sunny.

Are you also the only TPB fan in the race?

Thank you, and in regards to TPB: it's very, very likely so! I've heard rumors that Foucaulf doesn't even know what a television is.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »

You were an At-Large Senator when I first came to Atlasia. Oh, I'm nostalgic now Tongue

We're in different sides of this race, but I still expect you to build a great campaign, so good luck with that Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 02:04:42 AM »

You were an At-Large Senator when I first came to Atlasia. Oh, I'm nostalgic now Tongue

We're in different sides of this race, but I still expect you to build a great campaign, so good luck with that Smiley

Thank you for the kind words.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies