NE2: Stand with the Kurds Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:25:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Stand with the Kurds Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Stand with the Kurds Act (Passed)  (Read 1298 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« on: March 03, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »

I don't wish to interrupt as I am not a Northeast citizen, but should a regional assembly really concern itself with foreign policy? (Especially by trying to lobby the pass of the Kurdish Solidarity Act) It's a mostly symbolic effort, yes, but it is quite unorthodox.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »

I don't wish to interrupt as I am not a Northeast citizen, but should a regional assembly really concern itself with foreign policy? (Especially by trying to lobby the pass of the Kurdish Solidarity Act) It's a mostly symbolic effort, yes, but it is quite unorthodox.

Mr President, I said at the beginning that I knew this bill was close to line but I feel that it doesn't bridge the gap into foreign policy. I believe it fits into the 1980's model, and that recently where many local councils, and authorities flew the Palestinian Flag and opposed Apartheid despite the weak actions of their National Government. The line between foreign and domestic is increasingly blurred

The motion is simply showing the Kurdish people in the Northeast that the Assembly stands beside them,and supports their dream fro state. I knew when I proposed it that it was unorthodox, but I felt something needed to be done in light of the slow action of our own government.

I do think actions like that have the potential to undermine the foreign policy of an administration (doesn't really matter who's in the White House), but yes, I can understand the motivation behind the bill.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »

I believe Winfield is right, and I reject the claim from the Speaker that I would presume to dictate to the assembly, just as I reject the claim of my lack of support for the Kurds.

I should point out that my original efforts with Potus and Dr. Cynic involved helping the Kurds whenever possible, and I have amended the Kurdish Solidarity Act to deliver a part of the help they need in order to fight against ISIS. The original bill by Senator TNF is unrealistic no matter how one sees is, and I would rather prevent Turkey going into war and creating an even bigger mess.

But yes, I believe the current amended version will be fine given its symbolic statement.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies