NE3: Graduate Protection Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:03:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE3: Graduate Protection Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE3: Graduate Protection Act (Passed)  (Read 1640 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2015, 04:26:00 AM »
« edited: March 07, 2015, 02:47:41 AM by Speaker Blair »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Blair, I have 36 hours to begin to advocate this bill
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »

Even though similar legislation is being proposed in the Senate, this legislation was proposed by me a while back and I feel it's a good thing to have in the Northeast, as TNF's amendment could fail and Bore's bill may not get voted through. For that reason I will continue to advocate for this bill to be passed through the senate.

The scholarship scheme is also of vital importance, along with ensuring that all have an equal chance in entering the workplace-I feel this bill simply gives everybody equal footing. If anybody has concerns about interships I will be happy to expand on why unpaid internships are awful and should be banned. The scholarships aim to get highly skilled young people into public service, and to promote a better civic society in turn. I believe this bill will make public service honorable again.

The Green Graduate scheme also helps the NE expand in the future, as the green sector or Quaternary sector is of growing importance, and I want the NE to be a hub for this which will provide jobs and investment for all. The public-private partnership is also vital to ensure that funding isn't a major issue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »

In principle, I support this proposed legislation.

However, students should understand that if they are to be paid for internships, that their wage or salary will be at the entry level for that particular position.

This bill also discusses scholarships.  In my view, the part of the bill discussing scholarships should be separated from the part of the bill that discusses internships.  I believe that both parts of this bill will have more clarity if they are separated.

Also, the bill designates two fields in which scholarships would be established, public service and the environment.  While these are both noble endeavors, there are as well many other fields of study that would warrant scholarships to assist students.  I'm thinking of careers in the field of medical research for example.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:41:03 PM »

In principle, I support this proposed legislation.

However, students should understand that if they are to be paid for internships, that their wage or salary will be at the entry level for that particular position.

This bill also discusses scholarships.  In my view, the part of the bill discussing scholarships should be separated from the part of the bill that discusses internships.  I believe that both parts of this bill will have more clarity if they are separated.

Also, the bill designates two fields in which scholarships would be established, public service and the environment.  While these are both noble endeavors, there are as well many other fields of study that would warrant scholarships to assist students.  I'm thinking of careers in the field of medical research for example.

Yeah students should accept that it will be an entry level job, I'm fine with the basis of them working there way up, as others have said in the Senate bill the idea is just to give interns the same rights as all workers.

I'd be open to splitting the bill through an amendment, but we differ on scholarships. As I understand tuition is free to all NE residents right?

For this reason I want scholarships to be used to encourage unsubscribed services such as the Green Energy Sector, and public service. Basically saying to people we want more people to get involved, and we know it's tough so here's some support. I'm not convinced that medical students need this support, and if they did get it I'd want it to be tied to certain conditions (serving in urban ER, community outreach, public health risks)
pikachu
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »

I'm fine with the internship part of the bill, but I have some questions on the scholarship part. At least for government jobs in public service, such as teaching, it might be simpler to increase pay scales or something like that. Regardless, I do support the bill in principle, as long as the cost isn't outrageously high.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »

That's true.  We do not have unlimited funds to spend on scholarships.

We open up public service and environmental studies scholarships, where does it stop?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:37 PM »

Yeah, I'd like to see the cost of the scholarships before going through with it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 01:48:05 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2015, 01:51:59 AM by Speaker Blair »

Yeah, I'd like to see the cost of the scholarships before going through with it.

That's true.  We do not have unlimited funds to spend on scholarships.

We open up public service and environmental studies scholarships, where does it stop?

I'm fine with the internship part of the bill, but I have some questions on the scholarship part. At least for government jobs in public service, such as teaching, it might be simpler to increase pay scales or something like that. Regardless, I do support the bill in principle, as long as the cost isn't outrageously high.

The whole point of a scholarship is to help pay the start up costs, because the hardest thing about starting a job is paying for rent, training, living costs etc. Increasing pay won't make a difference because that's long term financing. I should of been clearer in public service jobs because I didn't mean teaching-I wanted government service jobs to be encouraged

I don't understand your opposition Winfield? You were the one who wanted to expand the scheme, and now you're saying that it's a 'black hole'. It's not going to open up to every area if we legislate it correctly-hence why I only put two areas of debate in there. I provided a private-public scheme to try, and bridge the gap. As I said before I also want the internships to act as a boost for the economy, especially in the green energy sector where the Northeast can become a powerhouse which will create jobs and investment

there are as well many other fields of study that would warrant scholarships to assist students.  I'm thinking of careers in the field of medical research for example.

But for the purpose of passing the bill, and for clarity. I offer this amendment

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »

I think perhaps I did not make myself clear.  When I mentioned medical research scholarships, I was not necessarily advocating scholarships in this field, I was simply using it as one example where scholarships might as well be warranted, as you had advocated two fields in particular where scholarships are warranted.

By pointing out two fields where scholarships  would be granted under this bill, my concern is that perhaps other students in other fields would believe that they too are studying in fields that  warrant scholarships.

But yes, by all means, let's separate the bill, as you have done with the amendment, and deal with scholarships as a separate issue.  I am hopeful that we can come to some kind of a consensus on scholarships for public service and environmental work.   
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »

I think Section 3 could work as a separate bill. I feel that we can discuss which sectors should be offered grants and the size of the grants more easily this way.

While I remember, do we need to decide a budget during this term? This could help decide how we can fund this or any future bill.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »

I think Section 3 could work as a separate bill. I feel that we can discuss which sectors should be offered grants and the size of the grants more easily this way.

While I remember, do we need to decide a budget during this term? This could help decide how we can fund this or any future bill.

I'll PM Governor Sawx to discuss this. I understand Winfield's concern with the scholarship and will draft a bill that has wide approval.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »

I put forward the above amendment (in blue) to the Graduate Protection Act for consideration.

Mr. Speaker, since you are the author of this bill, does this proposed amendment meet with your approval? 
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »

Yeah. I'm taking suggestions right now - we've got all the time in the world to propose one
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »

I put forward the above amendment (in blue) to the Graduate Protection Act for consideration.

Mr. Speaker, since you are the author of this bill, does this proposed amendment meet with your approval? 

Amendment is unclear, I want it to specify that interns get the minimum wage
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »

Does this look better?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »

Does this look better?

Amendment is friendly
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »

Voting is now open on this bill, all members have 48 hours to vote Aye, Nay or Abstain

This is the final bill

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »

Aye
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 10:45:12 AM »

Aye
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

Abstain

(I would vote in favor, however, I believe that if a company wants to pay an intern above the minimum wage they should absolutely have that right.)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:56 PM »

Aye
pikachu
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 07:23:36 PM »

Abstain for the same reason as Matt.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 02:17:51 AM »

With 3-0, and 2 abstentions I declare that this law has passed, and will now be sent to the Governor to sign
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »

After the first bill was vetoed, this is the re-drafted bill that I want to send to the Governor. Does everyone approve of it?

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »

Yes. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies