Sunday Rest Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:49:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Sunday Rest Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Sunday Rest Act (Failed)  (Read 3351 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »
« edited: March 16, 2015, 02:54:44 PM by President bore »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor: Windjammer
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »

I'm obviously supportive of people practising their religion, but a blanket permission that extends only to Christians is a bit counter-productive.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »

I'm obviously supportive of people practising their religion, but a blanket permission that extends only to Christians is a bit counter-productive.
What do you mean Polnut?
If you want to extend to every religion, well, I would of course be supportive of that.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »

I think this is problematic for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is that it designates specifically a day of rest on a day traditionally observed as such by Christians only. If we are going to go down this road, we should make exemptions for Muslims not to work on Friday and Jews not to work on Saturday, no?

Or, alternatively, we might propose the following:

Quote from: Restricted

All of the numbers here reflect the fact that we have a 32 hour workweek in Atlasia.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »

I obviously see no problem with that. Considering we have a 32 hour work week legislation, I don't think it would be difficult to implement that.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:21:53 PM »

TNF, especially section 1, clause 1 could become very problematic in fields like seasonal tourism, where it often it is just not manageable to have times off for 72 hours in a row, this for all employees. This might not be a problem with a 9-5 job or some sorts of industrial job, but I'd guess this would really be problematic in the service industry...
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »

TNF, especially section 1, clause 1 could become very problematic in fields like seasonal tourism, where it often it is just not manageable to have times off for 72 hours in a row, this for all employees. This might not be a problem with a 9-5 job or some sorts of industrial job, but I'd guess this would really be problematic in the service industry...

The service industry can adapt by hiring more workers to fill those spots that would necessarily be vacant or automate functions.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:27:05 PM »

The service industry can adapt by hiring more workers to fill those spots that would necessarily be vacant or automate functions.

Such will in the vast majority of cases not be possible, at least not to the extent needed, I suspect.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »

I object.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »

Such will in the vast majority of cases not be possible, at least not to the extent needed, I suspect.

There are lots of people out of work right now that could be put to work. I don't see what the issue is. If we need more workers, open up the borders and invite them to come here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »

I don't really see the need for this legislation, considering that we already have a 32-hour work week, strong unions, and guaranteed vacation laws (I think?). This is an area where it's better to leave it to up to workers and business owners to negotiate their time off based on what best fits their schedules.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »

There are lots of people out of work right now that could be put to work. I don't see what the issue is. If we need more workers, open up the borders and invite them to come here.

Mostly because one employer cannot sustain an infinite number of employees? I obviously don't speak of big chains, but local restaurants, local non-chain hotels, etc. etc.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »

That doesn't make any sense. Employing more people means more money in circulation which means more spending on services which means more employment. Sure, there are cases in which there will be some employers unable to operate under the proposed legislation. I don't particularly care about those employers. They can go under for all its worth, given that the people we should actually be most concerned about (the workers) will be more or less fine with our extended welfare state that includes expansive unemployment insurance and a universal basic income program.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »

So you are content with letting the last bit of middle class employers and small businesses that are still left in this country die, and let their place be taken by big chains?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 02:59:43 PM »

Senators a vote is now open on TNF's amendment, please vote aye nay or abstain
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »

Nay
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »

NAY
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »

NAY

3.3 is positively terrible. "No person shall...unless everyone is recieving at least 32". If a worker is less productive, then the employer shouldn't be forced to have them work the same amount of hours. Also if the task they are allowed to do required a less amount whilst, another task by nature requires more hours to complete. It is just too heavy handed and would hurt productivity.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 08:27:34 PM »

Nay

We should empower workers, through their unions, to bargain for the breaks and holidays that make the most sense for them and their employers. These new restrictions would be unnecessary.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »

Nay
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »

So you are content with letting the last bit of middle class employers and small businesses that are still left in this country die, and let their place be taken by big chains?

I don't give a sh#t about the 'middle class'

my constituency is the working class

AYE
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »

Nay

This has enough votes to fail, senators have 24 hours to change their votes
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 10:53:24 AM »

Nay

I don't give a sh#t about the 'middle class'

my constituency is the working class

I reiterate - do you rather see all workplaces being offered by big corporations than by small businesses?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 03:26:51 PM »

My general opinion when it comes to any type of freedom of conscience (and religion is obviously included in that) is that a two tier system should apply. There are some issues where the conscience right is secondary, for instance an A and E doctor who does not believe he can work on a sunday. In this case the patient's right to be treated overrides his conscience and if the doctor can't meet the requirements he should not be hired. That side, if it's possible, it should be encouraged for the work schedule, say, to take into account this belief and mean he never has to work on sundays.

In other cases the conscience right is of primary importance, for instance the right not to join the army. No matter the circumstances we should not force people to join the army.

I think it's pretty clear this is a secondary type of conscience issue, which means I think this bill is a good idea, but is probably slightly too vaguely worded. Perhaps the focus should instead be on how we can encourage employers to take this sort of thing into account.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »

Also Part V is pretty awful...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies