Sunday Rest Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:20:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Sunday Rest Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Sunday Rest Act (Failed)  (Read 3335 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 04:41:27 PM »

Well,
I have listened to every concern made by Senators about this current bill. If you have any amendment to propose, I will of course give my consideration to it. My bill obviously needs to be improved.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »

So you are content with letting the last bit of middle class employers and small businesses that are still left in this country die, and let their place be taken by big chains?

I don't give a sh#t about the 'middle class'

my constituency is the working class

AYE

The middle and working class are the backbone of the Atlasian economy and are as much a constituituency of free market folks like me as they are for state controlled activist senators like you. This bill is about protecting the religious freedoms of all Atlasians. If I were still in this body, I'd fail this amendment to protect Windjammers intent for the bill.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 12:34:01 AM »

I find it outrageous for a Senator to essentially tell a portion of his constituency that he doesn't care about them. I did my best to serve all Southerners in the Senate and I think I did a pretty damn good job and balancing that with my other obligations (RPP and Fed Chair), despite certain falsehoods being purposely spread about on the matter by people I expected better from.

The middle class are rather important to the economy and whilst working classes haven't been forgotten it is foolish to forsake one for the other. When it comes to the economy, working and middle class people are like wings on a plane, and I prefer both to be solid before we "take off".
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 06:45:43 AM »

Aye
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 11:30:05 AM »

Nay

So you are content with letting the last bit of middle class employers and small businesses that are still left in this country die, and let their place be taken by big chains?

I reiterate - do you rather see all workplaces being offered by big corporations than by small businesses?

big corporations are better for workers because they bring more of them under the same roof and give them more potential power as a result. small businesses are backwards and inefficient, so yes. Ideally i'd prefer massive industrial cooperatives, but I'd take big business over small business any day of the week.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

By a vote of 7-2 TNF's amendment has failed

Aye: TNF, SWE

Nay: Yankee, Cris, Polnut, Bore, Windjammer, Lief, Cranberry

Not Voting: BK
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »

Nay

I reiterate - do you rather see all workplaces being offered by big corporations than by small businesses?

big corporations are better for workers because they bring more of them under the same roof and give them more potential power as a result. small businesses are backwards and inefficient, so yes. Ideally i'd prefer massive industrial cooperatives, but I'd take big business over small business any day of the week.

I see, thank you for your answer, Senator.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Just to say I agree with TNF and Polnut's concerns. This bill shouldn't only be focused on christianity.

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 01:54:56 AM »

I object.
I can't support this. If a worker will refuse to work more than one day for "religious reasons", using this rule as an excuse?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 02:11:59 AM »

I object.
I can't support this. If a worker will refuse to work more than one day for "religious reasons", using this rule as an excuse?

I disagree that the workers of Atlasia are dishonest, but more that this is just fundamentally unnecessary.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 04:14:25 AM »

Not everyone is perfect though and thus some will probably lie about their religion without ensuring some adequate safe guards.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »

I object.

I disagree that the workers of Atlasia are dishonest, but more that this is just fundamentally unnecessary.

Dear Senator, I'm not saying that the workers of Atlasia are dishonest.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 08:16:13 AM »

I object.
Well, I don't believe it would be problematic. Simply, if he wants to have a pay, he still needs to work Tongue.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »

I object.

Dear Senator, I'm not saying that the workers of Atlasia are dishonest.

I should be clearer, I think there are better reasons to disagree with this beyond some vague suggestions that it could be abused, when I doubt the vast majority of Atlasian workers would be that dishonest for that to be a primary reason to reject this.

My view is that I believe the reasonable provisions for religious expression and practice already exist in law.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 10:18:56 AM »

I support Windjammer's proposed amendment in the interest of not violating the separation of church and state.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »

Nay

I have never seen a small business buy its way into power the way a big corporation can.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »

I'm compelled by Lief's argument that this bill is unnecessary. I can't see myself supporting it.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:56 PM »

I'm compelled by Lief's argument that this bill is unnecessary. I can't see myself supporting it.

While I totally support the intent of this bill, considering the generous vacation days and working hours we already have, there is definitely enough flexibility for us not to pass this bill, so I'm with both Lief and Hagrid here.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »

Nay

I have never seen a small business buy its way into power the way a big corporation can.

Irrelevant, because big business is always going to be in control under capitalism. You can't separate that from bourgeois democracy. It's part of the system.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2015, 07:06:04 AM »

Well,
I understand Hagrid, Lief and Talleyrand's concerns, but, even if unions are powerful, why not an additional protection? Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »

This law wouldn't protect anything. It would give people a blank cheque to skip work whenever they want. Basically it makes every job a one-day contract job that gets continuously reoffered without stipulation.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »

Who will run the Senate in the next days? Dean TNF?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2015, 09:54:14 AM »

Yes, with no VP, he will have to do everything yes.

This law wouldn't protect anything. It would give people a blank cheque to skip work whenever they want. Basically it makes every job a one-day contract job that gets continuously reoffered without stipulation.
I don't see how it would give a blank cheque to skip work whenever they want???
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »

Someone could just decide they need to skip work to pray all day. No one would dare ask questions because if the religious aspect. The employer sure wouldn't, because she or he wouldn't want to be accused of discrimination.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2015, 10:02:25 AM »

Yes, with no VP, he will have to do everything yes.

I don't see how it would give a blank cheque to skip work whenever they want???

Well, this is your amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

As said, with your amendment a worker can refuse to work more than one day for "religious reasons", using this as an excuse.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies