Which type of VP should Jeb Bush pick?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:23:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which type of VP should Jeb Bush pick?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which type of VP should Jeb Bush pick?
Safe choice

Bold choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Which type of VP should Jeb Bush pick?  (Read 4471 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »

If nominated, which type of vice presidential choice should Jeb Bush pick? A safe, bland running mate who won't be in the headlines after the RNC and even the veep debate?, or should he pick a bold, risker choice that will balance his record?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:12:36 PM »

Female. Hispanic. So, Martinez.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 09:56:47 PM »

I would like Bush to make a bold choice and pick someone experienced and dignified who can contribute on foriegn policy regardless of their race, gender, or state of residence.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 10:10:38 PM »

I think it'll help him to go bold.

It'll have been nearly a decade since he was last in office, and his brother went with a safe pick that didn't quite work out very well.

An advantage for Jeb is that there are several potential picks that are bold without being too inexperienced. Nikki Haley, Susanna Martinez and Brian Sandoval are reelected Governors. Kelly Ayotte will be finishing her first term as Senator. There's also the possibility that a primary rival will be able to sufficiently distinguish themselves.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »

Enough of the pretending that it's not a dynasty. George P. Bush.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »

An advantage for Jeb is that there are several potential picks that are bold without being too inexperienced. Nikki Haley, Susanna Martinez and Brian Sandoval are reelected Governors. Kelly Ayotte will be finishing her first term as Senator. There's also the possibility that a primary rival will be able to sufficiently distinguish themselves.

Regardless of whether the presidential nominee is Bush or Walker or whoever, I think Ayotte is a lock to be included on the running mate short list if she agrees to be vetted.  That's the tricky part.  Nowadays, it's awfully hard to hide the fact that you've agreed to participate in the vetting process, because things inevitably leak out.  And if she's in a tough reelection battle for her Senate seat, can she afford to have one foot in and one foot out of the race by toying with the option of a VP run?  Or would that be at all damaging to her reelection prospects?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:24:58 PM »

Safe guy like Tim Pawlenty or Mitch Daniels.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 02:20:58 AM »

Brian Sandoval would be a solid choice, but he'd have to appease the Tea Party after a difficult primary
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »

I don't think Jeb will want to rub in the fact that he likes Hispanics to his base.

Probably a boring mid-westerner. Republicans tend to like those.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »

Clearly, he should pick Dick Cheney's brother, Rick Cheney.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:06:05 AM »

Bold choice: Liz Cheney.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 09:15:22 AM »

Susanna Martinez.
bobloblaw
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »

He wont be the nominee, it wont matter
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »

Mike Pence
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 03:53:35 PM »

I doubt Kelly Ayotte would agree to be considered unless it was a certainty that (1.) The ticket would win or (2.) that she could have that insurance policy of being able to run for reelection as well as Lyndon Johnson was in 1960, Lloyd Bentsen in 1988, Joseph Limber man in 2000 or Joe Biden in 2008. However I don't think that's doable in New Hampshire is it.
.don't think they have provisions that allow "dual mandate". Could be wrong, Ayotte just won't do it unless she has a "get out jail free card"
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 07:33:10 PM »

Safe picks like John Thune, Mitch Daniels, Tim Pawlenty, Tom Cotton, Deb Fischer, and even Bobby Jindal would provide competence for Bush and it won't overshadow him at all.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 08:24:13 PM »

Safe picks like John Thune, Mitch Daniels, Tim Pawlenty, Tom Cotton, Deb Fischer, and even Bobby Jindal would provide competence for Bush and it won't overshadow him at all.
Cotton and Fischer are probably not safe choices, given they weren't in Congress before 2012.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 10:26:50 PM »

Someone safe,...I mean look at what happened to the last old guy who went bold.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »

He needs a "safe" pick to overwhelm the electorate with experience and competence, especially given that Hillary Clinton will probably pick a younger "rock star"-type flavor-of-the-month VP open to attack.

If I were Jeb Bush, I'd pick Condoleeza Rice and tell everyone else to stick it.  This would combine diversity with qualifications, and the people who'd pick this to death won't vote GOP anyway.  The Tea Baggers aren't going to bolt the GOP and they're not going to sit on their hands in 2016.  They want it all, and if they have to swallow the Jebster to pull it off, well, so be it.  Rice has experience, credentials, and is not an Old White Guy.  Indeed, the "safe" picks are bolder than the "bold" picks (e.g. Susanna Martinez).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 01:21:08 AM »

He needs a "safe" pick to overwhelm the electorate with experience and competence, especially given that Hillary Clinton will probably pick a younger "rock star"-type flavor-of-the-month VP open to attack.

If I were Jeb Bush, I'd pick Condoleeza Rice and tell everyone else to stick it.  This would combine diversity with qualifications, and the people who'd pick this to death won't vote GOP anyway.  The Tea Baggers aren't going to bolt the GOP and they're not going to sit on their hands in 2016.  They want it all, and if they have to swallow the Jebster to pull it off, well, so be it.  Rice has experience, credentials, and is not an Old White Guy.  Indeed, the "safe" picks are bolder than the "bold" picks (e.g. Susanna Martinez).
Rice would be a good pick for anyone BUT Jeb. Having both on the ticket basically reminds everyone of the Bush administration way too much.

Sometimes you choose a ticket where the 2 members are similar. In 1992, it was 2 southern moderates. In 2000, it was 2 Texas oil men. And in this case, it'd be 2 lying warmongers.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »

How is Jeb Bush a lying warmonger?  Didn't know Florida was an independent country...you mean being Governor of Florida,  means you get to serve in your brother's administration (nepotism rules) and you get to run foreign policy?  Wow! I didn't know that, guess being Governor of Florida or Texas means a lot more,  than just being Chief Executive of one of 50 states. Thanks for letting me know, guess it shows me that living kin England means you know so much more about separation of powers. On the other hand, that Condoleezza Rice was Secretary of State, Donald Rumsfeld was Secretary of Defense etc. , etc., however didn't get that memo about Jeb being a policy maker in his brother's administration;  Dubya didn't much listen to his dad,  he commented once, "I answer to a higher power"....you don't mean Jeb?  Not listening much to his dad, but to his brother?  wow again...should listen to you conspiracy theorists a lot more. Other wise I'd be lost....not!
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »

How is Jeb Bush a lying warmonger?  Didn't know Florida was an independent country...you mean being Governor of Florida,  means you get to serve in your brother's administration (nepotism rules) and you get to run foreign policy?  Wow! I didn't know that, guess being Governor of Florida or Texas means a lot more,  than just being Chief Executive of one of 50 states. Thanks for letting me know, guess it shows me that living kin England means you know so much more about separation of powers. On the other hand, that Condoleezza Rice was Secretary of State, Donald Rumsfeld was Secretary of Defense etc. , etc., however didn't get that memo about Jeb being a policy maker in his brother's administration;  Dubya didn't much listen to his dad,  he commented once, "I answer to a higher power"....you don't mean Jeb?  Not listening much to his dad, but to his brother?  wow again...should listen to you conspiracy theorists a lot more. Other wise I'd be lost....not!
Obviously, Jeb should have endorsed the Kerry/ Edwards ticket. His failure to do so makes him unfit for the presidency.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »

The shame of it! Imagine how could Jeb not have supported the Kerry/Edwards ticket? It's so obvious why he is a lying war monger. Guess I didn't get that memo either. But who could support a guy who voted for the Iraq war, before he voted against it? Guess some Democrats or indo's for that matter have a double standard!
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:19 PM »

I think Jeb should go safe. He may not need a flashy choice. A Thune or a Cotton may be safest choices for him.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »

I think Jeb should go safe. He may not need a flashy choice. A Thune or a Cotton may be safest choices for him.
How would Cotton be safe? He just got into Congress, and he's best known for something controversial (the Iran letter.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies