What do you think about your representation in Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:38:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What do you think about your representation in Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What do you think about your representation in Congress?  (Read 1990 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:02 AM »

Scott Rigell is the most overrated, faux-moderate obnoxious Congressman in this country. The car salesman has zero experience or talent apart from getting elected.

I'll go ahead and disagree with MormDem, I like Kaine more than Warner as he seems to be a more issues-orientated Senator who has been outspoken about foreign policy (and I agree with him!), whereas Warner's schtick is that he was a popular governor; there's a reason he's not running on his senate record and that's because he hasn't really done much.
Hmm...Tim Kaine, from what I understand, he's a bit more liberal than Warner, and therefore more in line with your beliefs.  Am I correct?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 02:52:25 AM »

Bob Brady - He votes the right way, but he's kind of sketchy. Then again, what do you really expect from the head of the Philly Dem machine?

Bob Casey - Tilt favorable, but at times his moderate heroism can get annoying.

Pat Toomey - Dislike, though not vehemently. It could be worse.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 03:02:03 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2015, 03:06:14 AM by TimTurner »

Bob Brady - He votes the right way, but he's kind of sketchy. Then again, what do you really expect from the head of the Philly Dem machine?

Bob Casey - Tilt favorable, but at times his moderate heroism can get annoying.

Pat Toomey - Dislike, though not vehemently. It could be worse.
Pennsylvania, a moderate state, represented by two moderates, one of each party.  Actually I'm kidding, Toomey is a bit more of a conservative, but not of the scary types.  Remember, he voted for the shutdown - the only Northeastern senator to do so.
I personally long for the day Stinky Pete (a.k.a Pete Sessions) exits Congress, preferably through a defeat in the general by a Democrat.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 03:19:50 AM »

I'll go ahead and disagree with MormDem, I like Kaine more than Warner as he seems to be a more issues-orientated Senator who has been outspoken about foreign policy (and I agree with him!), whereas Warner's schtick is that he was a popular governor; there's a reason he's not running on his senate record and that's because he hasn't really done much.

This could not be more true.
You know, come to think about it, Warner's political brand does rely a lot on his governorship.  Kaine does come across as more outspoken.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 06:36:42 AM »

Guinta's a corrupt prick who believes that if you're against NSA spying you stand with the terrorists and Joe Pitts literally gave money to Ugandans to burn condoms.
Why mention those two Republican Congressmen in particular?
Because those are the two that have represented him i.e. the point of this thread
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »

Cathy McMorris Rodgers is pretty good.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »

My MP is a social conservative Tory and quite arrogant to boot.

The other one is deputy prime minister.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:44 PM »

Well, I'm a staunch progressive represented by Mia Love, so I'm not too happy. She represents the national Tea Party, not UT-04. I can only hope that she tries and fails to upgrade to statewide so I don't have to deal with her.

I dislike Mike Lee's reflexive ultra-conservatism and anti-governmentism, and his transformation into Ted Cruz's hand puppet is especially grating. About the only good thing he's done is team up with Rand Paul on a (failed) criminal justice bill a while back.

Orrin Hatch is a fossil whose corruption is completely ignored by most of Utah because he's a Republican. He's never met a pharmaceutical company he didn't shill for, and he really just needs to retire already.

I am similarly annoyed with my state legislators.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »

If I were to use my old avvie/ Summer residence

CA-13: Barbara Lee speaks for me* (hence why I worded the stooge for VA-6)

Boxer is excellent.

Feinstein is a Moderate Hero of the worst kind. She's bad enough and secure enough that it's far saner just to vote Green or Peace & Freedom [whichever one offers the more economically progressive platform or has the better candidate]
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »

My Canadian Tory MP (Royal Galipeau) is a moron and the dictionary definition of deadwood. He has literally never done anything substantive despite being my riding's MP for 9 years now.

My French UMP deputy in North America (Frédéric 'Fredo' Lefebvre) is an idiot, party hack and failed politician, although I must say that he has been surprisingly decent so far, although it's really kind of hard to f-up as an opposition backbencher.

Where I currently live (South America), my French deputy would be Sergio Coronado (EELV), who I suppose is fairly decent and a real left-winger.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »

Created a 'what do you think of your local mp' thread.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 04:51:55 PM »

Brooks isn't great, but given that I live in Indiana, it could be a lot worse.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:14 PM »

Mike Pompeo is nuts. It's not like he even brings money back to the district like Tiahrt did. I strongly dislike both, but I'd rather have the loon who brings pork back home than the loon who does nothing for us!!
pikachu
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 10:27:41 PM »

Bonnie Watson Coleman's a freshman, and I'm not sure if she's done anything yet notable yet. She is a solid Democrat vote, so my opinion's positive. I actually really like Booker, and for a New Jersey politician, he's definitely above average and a good successor to Lautenburg. I wouldn't be surprised if Menendez is corrupt and his rhetoric on Iran has been less than encouraging, so I don't particularly like him.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 11:36:20 PM »

I'm represented in the House by Marcy Kaptur in OH-9. Personally, I don't think she represents Cleveland all that well, particularly because she fights for the interests of Toledo before Cleveland, and has a better connection with Toledo Democrats.

Granted, she does at least oppose the gerrymandering mess OH-9 - "the snake" was put in by Ohio Republicans that connects Toledo to Cleveland, and she would much rather prefer just representing Toledo.

This is a safe Democratic district to (D+15), and she's simply not liberal enough either. She voted for the joke of a spending bill that was the Cromnibus, is a sell-out to Wall Street, is pro-life, supports the Keystone XL (which matters greatly considering how vital clean water is to this district), voted against granting children of illegal immigrants legal rights, supports capital punishment, among other things.

I mean, she's far better than being represented by any House Republican or any of the Bluedog's, but I definitely preferred Kucinich over her.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2015, 12:15:58 AM by Sawx, King in the North »

Guinta's a corrupt prick who believes that if you're against NSA spying you stand with the terrorists and Joe Pitts literally gave money to Ugandans to burn condoms.
Why mention those two Republican Congressmen in particular?

Frank Guinta represents me at home, Joe Pitts represents me at college. Let's grade them through Hogwarts's style, since Wulfric had a great idea:

Frank Guinta: Troll
Jeanne Shaheen: Exceeds Expectations
Kelly Ayotte: Troll

Joe Pitts: Troll
Bob Casey: Acceptable
Pat Toomey: Poor
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 12:41:58 PM »

Rodney Davis is tea party scum.

Mark Kirk is okay. Not appreciative of most of his foreign policy but I would say he has represented the state with distinction.

Durbin is an obvious FF.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »

Not thrilled about Jim Himes' Wall St. ties but whatevs, he's a nice guy. He invited me to his house once and barbequed me a pretty nice cheeseburger.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »

If we're going with Hogwarts grades (I spend half my day in FL-13 and the other half in FL-14)

Rep. David Jolly (R): Acceptable
Rep. Kathy Castor (D): Exceeds Expectations
Sen. Bill Nelson (D): Exceeds Expectations (by virtue of being a Democrat elected statewide in Florida)
Sen. Marco Rubio: Dreadful
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:35 PM »

Cathy McMorris Rodgers is average conservative Republican. While there are some worse politicians out there, she isn't someone I support and I tend to vote third party in that race. She basically has a free pass to the elections since the district is conservative.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »

Chuck Grassley (R) - Exceeds expectations
David Young - Exceeds Expectations for now
Joni Ernst - Acceptable on Policy, Troll on Beliefs
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »

Chuck Grassley (R) - Exceeds expectations
David Young - Exceeds Expectations for now
Joni Ernst - Acceptable on Policy, Troll on Beliefs
Considering you sound like you are right-leaning, i am a bit surprised you mark Ernst as a Troll in terms of beliefs.  I suppose you are a bit of a moderate?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »

Rodney Davis is tea party scum.

Mark Kirk is okay. Not appreciative of most of his foreign policy but I would say he has represented the state with distinction.

Durbin is an obvious FF.
I'd probably rank Kirk as the most moderate Republican in the Senate today (after Susan Collins) - considering he knew he'd certainly serve one term if he voted and acted like, say, Ted Cruz.  For him to be a viable candidate for re-election he'd have to look as moderate and likable as possible - just like he was when he got re-elected to his congressional district when Obama won it by 25 points.  Rick Santorum didn't behave like a moderate - and he lost his 2006 re-election by 17.3 points.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2015, 04:29:39 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 05:29:01 AM by Pacific Speaker Türkisblau »

I might as well do New Mexico as well.

Michelle Lujan Grisham: Good, but there's betters reps out there.  Definitely more to be desired. Ben Ray Lujan beats her any day of the week. I actually donated $10 to her Republican opponent last cycle as he's a family friend from my hometown (Corrales).

Tom Udall: Total FF, amazing senator who does his absolute best and pays attention to his state (ie. great constituent service)

Martin Heinrich: Good, but I think he still needs time to distinguish himself and find an area that he can devote himself too, although he's gotten some plum committee spots so far.

Overall, NM is a great state to live in if you want good representatives, just don't move to the south!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:04 PM »

I might as well do New Mexico as well.

Michelle Lujan Grisham: Good, but there's betters reps out there.  Definitely more to be desired. Ben Ray Lujan beats her any day of the week. I actually donated $10 to her Republican opponent last cycle as he's a family friend from my hometown (Corrales).

Tom Udall: Total FF, amazing senator who does his absolute best and pays attention to his state (ie. great constituent service)

Martin Heinrich: Good, but I think he still needs time to distinguish himself and find an area that he can devote himself too, although he's gotten some plum committee spots so far.

Overall, NM is a great state to live in if you want good representatives, just don't move to the south!
Thankfully the NM delegation (excluding Pearce) is made up of environmentalists.
Of course I wouldn't be saying that if Heather Wilson won in 2012...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies