MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:07:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire  (Read 21365 times)
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:23 PM »

And Atlas cried out in collective joy.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »

Excellent news!!!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2015, 09:06:17 PM »

Van Hollen would be better, but she'd be my second choice.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »

Endorsed!
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »

Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:38 PM »

I truly hope she can overcome the odds and beat Van Hollen in the primary. She'd be a terrific Senator.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »

Great news!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2015, 12:24:05 AM »

Still prefer Van Hollen. But - we will see.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2015, 05:35:24 AM »

I think blacks were a little burned by the Ben Cardin and Mfume candidacies when Cardin said he was against Iraq War and voted to fund the troops. I wasnt a Cardin supporter but I welcome Donna Edwards and I am switching my endorsement to Edwards, eventhough she isnt a Mfume.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2015, 06:39:39 PM »

Updated look.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2015, 10:29:57 PM »

Here's an article from The Hill on how Pelosi tried to discourage Van Hollen from running. I do agree that if he were to win, it'd be a shame to lose his talent in the House. I could definitely see him as a potential Speaker some day...

...hopefully he'll be available to take advantage of that opportunity when it comes around. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »

Here's an article from The Hill on how Pelosi tried to discourage Van Hollen from running. I do agree that if he were to win, it'd be a shame to lose his talent in the House. I could definitely see him as a potential Speaker some day...

...hopefully he'll be available to take advantage of that opportunity when it comes around. Tongue

Pelosi most likely wants him as her successor. At the moment she's just waiting out Hoyer. It's kind of mystifying that he's choosing to give that up. Even if you're one of those silly people that think Democrats won't regain the House a single time in 20+ years, even minority leader is arguably a more important/powerful position than a Senator.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2015, 10:45:17 PM »

Pelosi most likely wants him as her successor. At the moment she's just waiting out Hoyer. It's kind of mystifying that he's choosing to give that up. Even if you're one of those silly people that think Democrats won't regain the House a single time in 20+ years, even minority leader is arguably a more important/powerful position than a Senator.

Good points. Maybe Van Hollen thinks (assuming he wins) he could climb up Senate leadership?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2015, 10:50:19 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2015, 10:51:54 PM by Brewer »

Good points. Maybe Van Hollen thinks (assuming he wins) he could climb up Senate leadership?

He's only in his mid-50's, so I suppose it's not too crazy of a prospect. He seems pretty ambitious, though, so I'd think a strong chance of potentially becoming SotH (or even Minority Leader) would be more enticing than a chance at Senate leadership...

Perhaps he has national ambitions and sees the Senate as a better platform?

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »

Yeah, either that or presidential ambitions would be a good explanation.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2015, 01:28:44 AM »

Potentially interesting Republican candidate: Chrysovalantis Kefalas. He's a former aide to both US AG Eric Holder (D) and Governor Ehrlich.

Currently, he's the VP of Executive Communications at the National Association of Manufacturers.

He's gay, and he signed onto Project Rightside’s amicus brief in support of the freedom to marry.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2015, 01:59:02 AM »

Potentially interesting Republican candidate: Chrysovalantis Kefalas. He's a former aide to both US AG Eric Holder (D) and Governor Ehrlich.

Currently, he's the VP of Executive Communications at the National Association of Manufacturers.

He's gay, and he signed onto Project Rightside’s amicus brief in support of the freedom to marry.

Pity, but no chances in conservative Republican primary. As i said many times -  i consider former Senator Charles Mathias to be  my political "mentor", but after Morella i don't see moderate Republicans with good chances anymore in Maryland... Those, that exist, are simply unable to win primaries..
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2015, 02:02:27 AM »

Again, Baker is running for Governor in 2018.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2015, 02:09:29 AM »

I would love to see him run. I could also see Allan Kittleman (Howard County Executive) being a decent choice in case the Democrats nominate Anthony Brown or something equally absurd. Rutherford seems he wouldn't be a great campaigner, though I guess he could be good insurance too considering everything I've heard about him is that he's a "trains run on time" kind of a guy, and that has been a receptive message for Republicans running in Heavily Democratic States.

Andy Harris seems way too conservative to win statewide and should stick to his nice district carved out for him, and Dan Bongino should just run for Delaney's seat again, especially if it's an open seat.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2015, 02:16:21 AM »

I would love to see him run. I could also see Allan Kittleman (Howard County Executive) being a decent choice in case the Democrats nominate Anthony Brown or something equally absurd. Rutherford seems he wouldn't be a great campaigner, though I guess he could be good insurance too considering everything I've heard about him is that he's a "trains run on time" kind of a guy, and that has been a receptive message for Republicans running in Heavily Democratic States.

Andy Harris seems way too conservative to win statewide and should stick to his nice district carved out for him, and Dan Bongino should just run for Delaney's seat again, especially if it's an open seat.

He is. He's a hard-core social conservative. Not a great statewide candidate.

As for Kittleman, I think he could be a good statewide candidate, but probably for Governor. I can't say I'm overly impressed with Rutherford, but admittedly, I don't know all that much about him.

Bongino said he's going to run again, either for House or Senate. If Delaney runs for Mikulski's seat, which I don't think he'll do, then Bongino will probably run for the open MD-06.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »

Cummings wants to run but worried about the risks.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »

EMILY's List endorsed Edwards too. They apparently preferred Rawlings-Blake over Edwards initially, and their endorsement suggests that Rawlings-Blake is likely out.

Apparently, Mikulski was furious that Reid endorsed Van Hollen.

According to this article, Mikulski likes Edwards, and they've worked together on a few things. Not really the case with Van Hollen, and Mikulski wants to be replaced by another woman. She won't endorse, but it sounds like she prefers Edwards...
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2015, 10:18:10 PM »

Hopefully Barb gives dingy Harry a good verbal thrashing for that.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »

Hopefully she'll get VOLCANIC one last time
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2015, 07:48:11 AM »

Hopefully she'll get VOLCANIC one last time

That was one of her best moments in the past few years. Senator Mikulski will be dearly missed from the U.S. Senate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies