MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:29:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire  (Read 21330 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »

I really do hope Van Hollen doesn't run. I want him to be Speaker or Majority Leader. Not a junior Senator.

Same. Edwards, Sarbanes, or Mizeur would all be good.

It would have been nice, but 2014 changed things and the GoP cemented their majority for rest of decade. Time is now, where Dems have a clear shot at majority and he will have a future chairmanship of a subcommittee. And he may serve on Judicial committee to help select a future SCOTUS pick for Ginsberg.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 07:34:57 PM »

I imagine a certain amount of the base would want Mikulski replaced by another woman.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »

Rushern Baker is planning to run for Governor in 2018.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »

Dan Bongino will announce something tomorrow. If he were running for the House, I'd assume he'd wait to see what Delaney was doing. He could always drop down to MD-06 if it ends up open, but it would risk any bad optics that go with that.

Republicans would still be best here with an Orman type (e.g Sobhani), IMO.
Panda Express

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 10:35:26 PM »

Probably leaving the path open for Pelosi to be succeeded by Xavier Becerra as soon as Hoyer retires, since Clyburn doesn't look likely to go for it.

So, why would Van Hollen do this? Is it that his House career looks like a dead end? Pure boredom, like with Markey? Or ambitions for an office that is easier to aspire to from the Senate than the House?

Unless you're speaker or minority/majority leader, being a senator is always an upgrade to being a congressman.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 11:05:29 PM »

Probably leaving the path open for Pelosi to be succeeded by Xavier Becerra as soon as Hoyer retires, since Clyburn doesn't look likely to go for it.

So, why would Van Hollen do this? Is it that his House career looks like a dead end? Pure boredom, like with Markey? Or ambitions for an office that is easier to aspire to from the Senate than the House?

Unless you're speaker or minority/majority leader, being a senator is always an upgrade to being a congressman.

Van Hollen has devoted his life, since 2003, to Democratic congressional leadership, and it is very likely that when Pelosi and Hoyer step aside either him or Xavier Becerra, of California, will become Speaker. I'm inclined to think he has more power in the House than the Senate, but he might be anticipating it being removed. My tweet was oblique future presidential speculation.

There is, I realized the other day, another way for O'Malley to stay relevant after 2016 if his presidential run doesn't get him notoriety or an appointment: Maryland only has a consecutive gubernatorial term limit, so he could be the candidate against Hogan in 2018.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »

Dan Bongino will announce something tomorrow. If he were running for the House, I'd assume he'd wait to see what Delaney was doing. He could always drop down to MD-06 if it ends up open, but it would risk any bad optics that go with that.

Why does Bongino keep trying?  He got really close last year but that was the best possible of circumstances.......he seems so doomed for 2016.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 12:06:53 AM »

Why does Bongino keep trying?  He got really close last year but that was the best possible of circumstances.......he seems so doomed for 2016.

I mean, the Maryland GOP could run Former State Senator David Brinkley, but beyond him and maybe blank slate Lieutenant Governor Boyd Rutherford, the bench in Maryland is terrible. Bongino seems to perform okay enough for a guy who is an Allen West-endorsed candidate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 02:56:31 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 02:58:14 AM by OC »

OMalley is keeping his options open when he deferred to Van Hollen, should Clinton opt out of presidential run.
Timothy87
Rookie

P P

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »

I don't think Republicans have even a remote chance of contesting this seriously, but if we were to, the answer would not be a retread like Michael Steele, but someone newer: Boyd Rutherford comes to mind instantly, and a run here, even if he (as is very likely) loses would be fantastic set-up to another race down the line (probably for Governor in 2022 as Hogan's heir, whether Hogan wins reelection or not).

As for Democrats, O'Malley seems to me to start off as an obvious favorite. Mikulski is the longest-serving woman in the Senate and is well-known for creating an organized bipartisan "club" of Senate women; she may want another woman to replace her. The two most obvious candidates, in that case, seem to be Donna Edwards and Heather Mizeur.

Edwards and Mizeur are both extremely left wing. They'd not be useful for making the Senate more bipartisan and workable.  I'd rather see Mayor Rawlings-Blake of any of the three potential women
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2015, 09:34:34 AM »

Bit harsh. Probably better to call him Sarbanes Jr., too.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:07 PM »

Apparently KKT (!!!) is exploring a run.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »

She has my backing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »

Kathleen or Van Hollen or Sarbanes. This gets better and better each candidate that announcez.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »

Bongino's announcement was that he's forming a PAC, though still not sure what he's running for.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »

My bets are still on John Sarbanes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »

Why?  She proved to be a really weak candidate when she ran for Governor in 2002.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:51 PM »

But this is a lot more sure of a bet than the 2002 race was, and she'd actually be a good Senator.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 03:03:35 PM by X »

But this is a lot more sure of a bet than the 2002 race was, and she'd actually be a good Senator.

Chris Van Hollen would be much better and would be less likely to become more than a generic backbencher in the Senate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »

Chris Van Hollen would be much better and would be more likely to become more than a generic backbencher in the Senate.

Really? I feel like he'd be a rising in power type. Isn't he rather high in Democrat leadership? Also, why would he leave to run for the Senate? I can see him as Speaker of the House someday.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »

Chris Van Hollen would be much better and would be more likely to become more than a generic backbencher in the Senate.

Really? I feel like he'd be a rising in power type. Isn't he rather high in Democrat leadership? Also, why would he leave to run for the Senate? I can see him as Speaker of the House someday.

Whoops, I meant to say less likely, my bad Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »

At this rate this could end up being the Democratic clowncar everyone was thinking California would be.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »

Van Hollen's in.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States