MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MD-Senate - Sources: Mikulski expected to retire  (Read 21418 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: March 02, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »

O'Malley would be pretty dumb to pass this up. Everyone knows that he isn't going to beat Hillary. He's still relatively young and a Senate seat would keep him relevant while still leaving open the possibility of running for President in 2020/2024.

He'd be running for VP. The question is if he thinks the chance of getting selected as VP is a better gamble than a safe Senate seat.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:14:29 PM »

I really do hope Van Hollen doesn't run. I want him to be Speaker or Majority Leader. Not a junior Senator.

Same. Edwards, Sarbanes, or Mizeur would all be good.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »

At this rate this could end up being the Democratic clowncar everyone was thinking California would be.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »

Considering that she actually seems interested in running, this is a much better use of time and resources than tilting at windmills with the futile draft Warren effort.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:42:42 PM »

Looks like Van Hollen is using the Harris strategy, announce before everyone knows what hits them and lock up donors/endorsements early. Will it pay off for him as well? Jeb also used a modified strategy like this back in December, and it seemed to work until Romney blunted his momentum.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »

Harry Reid just endorsed Van Hollen. This could get boring pretty quickly.

Good, hopefully Van Hollen gets in without a messy primary!

we have primaries for a reason, the people of Maryland should get to chose their representatives not some  man from Nevada.

Sure, but I'd rather they be herded into choosing the person I want to win Tongue

But I thought primaries were good! Nobody should get a coronation. Wink
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »

Great news!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »

Here's an article from The Hill on how Pelosi tried to discourage Van Hollen from running. I do agree that if he were to win, it'd be a shame to lose his talent in the House. I could definitely see him as a potential Speaker some day...

...hopefully he'll be available to take advantage of that opportunity when it comes around. Tongue

Pelosi most likely wants him as her successor. At the moment she's just waiting out Hoyer. It's kind of mystifying that he's choosing to give that up. Even if you're one of those silly people that think Democrats won't regain the House a single time in 20+ years, even minority leader is arguably a more important/powerful position than a Senator.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »

Pelosi most likely wants him as her successor. At the moment she's just waiting out Hoyer. It's kind of mystifying that he's choosing to give that up. Even if you're one of those silly people that think Democrats won't regain the House a single time in 20+ years, even minority leader is arguably a more important/powerful position than a Senator.

Good points. Maybe Van Hollen thinks (assuming he wins) he could climb up Senate leadership?

Yeah, either that or presidential ambitions would be a good explanation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies