If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:53:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: ??
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

No (D)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 127

Author Topic: If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?  (Read 9471 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »

pls respond
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »

No. I'd point out that Netanyahu is not Israel, and that he tends to try to influence elections here. If what he's doing is encouraged, then Obama or any Congressional leader could meet with the Israeli opposition if we felt like it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:41:21 PM »

Hell no (D)

Good to see more and more are backing out.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:52:38 PM »

Of course. Unlike the President, I support keeping Iran from getting a nuclear weapon. If Obama has in fact abandoned that effort, as his plan for no rollback and a ten-year limit before they can advance to a bomb indicates, then it's time for the rest of the US government and our allies to take charge and push back this lame duck.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »

No. Netanyahu is a fascist.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »

Definitely.  It's like asking if Ho Chi Minh or Robert Mugabe were coming to make speeches, in their respective epochs.  How could miss that?  In all seriousness, I think that if you're a member of the US congress, you should make it your business to listen to all speeches from all potentially influential people in the world.  I wouldn't hold it against my congressmember if he didn't make it, but I'd not miss it for the world.  I would consider it part of my education as a statesman to observe, first hand, the substance of what Netanyahu is putting out there for public consumption.  
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:02:47 PM »

No. I'd point out that Netanyahu is not Israel, and that he tends to try to influence elections here. If what he's doing is encouraged, then Obama or any Congressional leader could meet with the Israeli opposition if we felt like it.

They already have.

Clinton actively helped to topple Netanyahu's previous administration in the 90s.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:04:36 PM »

Yes (R ), and I would aggressively lobby my colleagues to do the same using whatever influence I might have.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:43:36 PM »

Definitely.  It's like asking if Ho Chi Minh or Robert Mugabe were coming to make speeches, in their respective epochs.  How could miss that?  In all seriousness, I think that if you're a member of the US congress, you should make it your business to listen to all speeches from all potentially influential people in the world.  I wouldn't hold it against my congressmember if he didn't make it, but I'd not miss it for the world.  I would consider it part of my education as a statesman to observe, first hand, the substance of what Netanyahu is putting out there for public consumption.  

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:52:24 PM »

Yes (R ), and I would aggressively lobby my colleagues to do the same using whatever influence I might have.

Hopefully you wouldn't be a member of Congress, since you repeatedly demonstrate in your postings on here that you are a foreigner who places your allegiance to Israel above your allegiance to America.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »

No.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:57 PM »

Hopefully you wouldn't be a member of Congress, since you repeatedly demonstrate in your postings on here that you are a foreigner who places your allegiance to Israel above your allegiance to America.

Nor he cares much about Israel, since he is supporting them having an awful PM.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 10:07:52 PM »

depends on whether or not I could find a plausible "prior commitment."
Asherzeleg
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -3.39

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 10:22:54 PM »

Please stop. This idea that Jews are foreigners who care more about Israel than their own nation is very common anti-Semitic rhetoric.

Anyway, No (D)
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »

Yes, just to boo him out.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »

Please stop. This idea that Jews are foreigners who care more about Israel than their own nation is very common anti-Semitic rhetoric.

Anyway, No (D)

I don't think all Jews are foreigners who care more about Israel than their own country. I just think that specific one does. Rather ironic considering that were it not for American generosity and benevolence, his family would probably have starved to death in some post-apocalyptic Eastern Bloc hellhole sometime during Yeltsin's first term.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 10:31:34 PM »

Yes (R).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »

Anyway, No (D)

I think it's rather antisemitic to assume there aren't any American Jews who feel just that way. There are many American Jews who value Israel above America certainly not the majority, but many. And there are also millions upon millions of Evangelical Christians who value Israel more than they value America America. Pointing this out and criticizing it is not antisemitic, it's pro-American.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:56 PM »

Hell no (D)

Good to see more and more are backing out.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:02 PM »

Anyway, No (D)

I think it's rather antisemitic to assume there aren't any American Jews who feel just that way. There are many American Jews who value Israel above America certainly not the majority, but many. And there are also millions upon millions of Evangelical Christians who value Israel more than they value America America. Pointing this out and criticizing it is not antisemitic, it's pro-American.

How in the hell could that be anti-semitic?

It doesn't matter whether American Jews support Israel or not. Calling an American Jew a "Foreigner" is not only anti-semitic, it is one of the oldest tropes in the anti-semitic playbook. Accuse the Jew of disloyalty as precedent for stripping them of their citizenship for real.

The mask slips more and more each day.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 11:29:24 PM »

Anyway, No (D)

It doesn't matter whether American Jews support Israel or not. Calling an American Jew a "Foreigner" is not only anti-semitic, it is one of the oldest tropes in the anti-semitic playbook. Accuse the Jew of disloyalty as precedent for stripping them of their citizenship for real.

So you believe every single American Jew puts America before Israel?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 11:33:06 PM »

I'm pro-Israel and a zionist, but I would not.

Netanyahu is flagrantly interfering with US politics as he has for some time.  He acts like the Republican governor of Israel.  During the 2012 election, he essentially endorsed Romney and now he's trying to punk our President, by trying to play Congress against Obama.  It's ridiculous.  We defend Israel, not the other way around.  You can't strong-arm the President of the United States, even if you're our closest ally.  Bibi needs to follow the sage advice of professional wrestler Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, "Know your role and shut your mouth."
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 11:34:29 PM »

I certainly would by no stretch of the imagination consider it part of my duty as a legislator to attend, but if I didn't have anything more important to do I might go.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 11:36:29 PM »

Anyway, No (D)

This is really weird and I have no idea how you could possibly be misconstruing the conversation this much.

1. America and Israel's interests do not differ in this situation. The President - a lame duck who was repudiated by the voters in the last midterm election - has different interests from Israel. This is the equivalent of claiming that anyone opposed to the Iraq war in 2007 was un-American.

2. Claiming that American Jews - whether they value Israel's security highly or not - are foreigners is ALWAYS anti-semitic.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 11:41:55 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2015, 11:45:34 PM by Horus »

Anyway, No (D)

This is really weird and I have no idea how you could possibly be misconstruing the conversation this much.

1. America and Israel's interests do not differ in this situation. The President - a lame duck who was repudiated by the voters in the last midterm election - has different interests from Israel. This is the equivalent of claiming that anyone opposed to the Iraq war in 2007 was un-American.

2. Claiming that American Jews - whether they value Israel's security highly or not - are foreigners is ALWAYS anti-semitic.

There are a American Jews with dual citizenship who serve in the IDF. They value Israel more than America, they've made it clear, they'll sometimes even freely admit it, and calling a spade a spade is not antisemitic. That word used to mean something. Now anytime certain Zionists are even slightly offended they scream that term and expect the world to flock to their aid and give them sympathy.

You also still didn't answer the question.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies