If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ??
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

No (D)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 127

Author Topic: If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?  (Read 9434 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 05:42:20 PM »

Obviously not.
There is nothing worse than this Boehner's petty attack.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »

No. If Loretta Lynch locks the traitor up, I can forgive her stances on liberties/drugs.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »

Probably I would, even though I agree with what's being said about Netanyahu above.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »

No. If Loretta Lynch locks the traitor up, I can forgive her stances on liberties/drugs.

Good lord. You want a war?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 07:38:02 PM »

It's a curious double dubious interference isn't it? Bibi getting involved in the American political process, and the Congressional Republicans getting involved in the Israeli election.

It is intriguing, but I suspect you'd attend as well.  You're such a junkie for this stuff.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 07:43:28 PM »

Yes, but just to pull a Joe Wilson.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 08:37:30 PM »

Of course, no. I would have been in Israel, helping Labor campaign Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 08:55:04 PM »

heckled him, Joe Wilson style.  assuming I'd be in a safe-D district, who else would elect me?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 09:33:31 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2015, 09:57:19 PM by Clarko95 »

No (I/R). I don't support needlessly antagonizing a country that has been mistreated to the point of war just because Israel has decided to become a little b*tch about everything and demands their way or the highway.

Israel has been creating more problems for us than solving them for the past 40 years. I actually do hope Obama fulfills conservative's fears and puts them in their place. There is no solid evidence that Iran is actually trying to build a nuclear weapon, and Israel has been claiming that "Iran is only a few months/years away from having one" for the past 20 years.

Israel has the right to exist, but not to fearmonger and ask us to be their lapdog for every war they want. I'm sick of all the Israel apologism for their destructive behavior.

"In their place"?  What place is that?  
Their place is not to tell us how to conduct our foreign policy, not to interfere in our elections, not to sabotage our deals, not to run roughshod over the Middle East and do nothing but create hatred for them that turns into terrorist attacks, and not to come here to the U.S. and think you can lecture us on all of the above
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Actually, I will tell you that. Because if that were the case, the global political landscape would be radically different to the point of unrecognizable. I cannot seem to recall a time when an American President went over to a country whose help we desperately needed and did nothing but insult and condescend them for electoral gain.

The last time Netanyahu advised us on foreign policy was in September of 2002 when he told us that invading Iraq would have nothing but good reverberations, and 4,500 Americans died, 100K+ Iraqi civilians, and the region was destabilized with Iran filling in the vacuum and the rise of ISIS.

So if Israel wants to antagonize Iran and go to war with them, then Israelis can die this time.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2015, 11:38:38 PM »

If America were facing a hostile power possibly gaining nuclear weapons a stone's throw away from us, there is no way we would hesitate to exploit political divisions in another country if it would help our perceived interest. 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2015, 11:52:58 PM »

I don't know whether I'd attend or not.  Normally I would as a Congressman feel obliged to listen to messages brought by leaders of other nations regardless of what they were.  This obviously however has the whole air of gimmick to it, and I hate gimmicks.  But, regardless of whether or not I'd go, I'd have the same position.  A binding agreement with Iran on its nuclear development will make Israelis safer than a war will.  And besides, I'm a believer in what I'm told is a Swedish diplomatic saying: "It's better for old people to get ulcers arguing around a table than it is for young people to die in a field."
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 12:20:06 AM »

If America were facing a hostile power possibly gaining nuclear weapons a stone's throw away from us, there is no way we would hesitate to exploit political divisions in another country if it would help our perceived interest. 
Except this possibility is very small, and arguing that they would obtain it requires you to delve into paranoia based on stretched evidence. There is still virtually no evidence Iran is trying to obtain a nuclear weapon outright, and even you admit Israel's tactics are counterproductive to the goal of preventing them from getting one in the first place.

On top of this, your argument of "well, if America was in this position, we'd do it too!" is stupid because 1.) we don't actually know that the US would recklessly torpedo a relationship with a crucial ally, 2.) the circumstances would be totally different, and most importantly 3.) it's not actually happening in reality, it's a theory created by your mind. What is happening is Israel's PM is lecturing us about how we should totally bend our foreign policy to their paranoid will so Netanyahu can win an election in two weeks.

Doesn't matter about what would happen in some alternate reality. Netanyahu is in the wrong here. End of story.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2015, 02:20:43 AM »

I believe he is talking about Traitor Boehner.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »

Iran isn't trying to exploit divisions in America Huh
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2015, 06:49:38 AM »

No (Pro-R)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2015, 07:39:02 AM »

Haha Israel will fight the US? Lol bring it on!
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2015, 07:45:28 AM »

No (James Traficant)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 08:24:53 AM by bedstuy »

How is Israel threatening Iran?  Let's be real here.  Israel has justifiable defense concerns about Iran, who already have a proxy army on Israel's border and supply Hamas with rockets.  Not to mention that fact that they have literally said they want to destroy Israel.  Israel, on the other hand, only wants peace and defends itself.  But, I guess facts don't matter to you anyway.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »

How is Israel threatening Iran?  Let's be real here.  Israel has justifiable defense concerns about Iran, who already have a proxy army on Israel's border and supply Hamas with rockets.  Not to mention that fact that they have literally said they want to destroy Israel.  Israel, on the other hand, only wants peace and defends itself.  But, I guess facts don't matter to you anyway.

You remember the old joke Uri Avneri? About the Jewish mother seeing her son off to war?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:10 AM »

Roll Eyes
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »

It also wants a sizable portion of the West Bank. Are you suggesting that rabid settler fundies burning mosques and vandalizing and demolishing Palestinian homes and lands is done in self defense?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 10:30:26 AM by bedstuy »

It also wants a sizable portion of the West Bank. Are you suggesting that rabid settler fundies burning mosques and vandalizing and demolishing Palestinian homes and lands is done in self defense?

Those are separate issues, mostly because the West Bank does not include Iran. 

But, as long as there is a conflict over the West Bank, it's apparently open season to kill Jews and threaten mass genocide.  I guess that's the logic.  And, if you think Iran or any Arab country cares about the plight of the Palestinian people, you're incredibly naive. 

But, let's agree to disagree because this is not an issue that leads to productive rational discussion.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2015, 10:28:57 AM »

I'm uncomfortable missing work, so I guess I'd go.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »

I'm uncomfortable missing work, so I guess I'd go.

Yeah, this.

It would be super easy then to hit CNN, MSNBC or C-SPAN and denounce the speech completely and call Netanyahu a dangerous neo-con (which he is).
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2015, 12:12:41 PM »

Absolutely not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: