If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:02:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: ??
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

No (D)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 127

Author Topic: If you were a member of Congress, would you attend Netanyahu's speech?  (Read 9478 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »

Of course.  And I'd clap when appropriate.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2015, 01:47:51 PM »

If America were facing a hostile power possibly gaining nuclear weapons a stone's throw away from us, there is no way we would hesitate to exploit political divisions in another country if it would help our perceived interest. 
Iran isn't trying to exploit divisions in America Huh

How is Israel threatening Iran?  Let's be real here.  Israel has justifiable defense concerns about Iran, who already have a proxy army on Israel's border and supply Hamas with rockets.  Not to mention that fact that they have literally said they want to destroy Israel.  Israel, on the other hand, only wants peace and defends itself.  But, I guess facts don't matter to you anyway.

It also wants a sizable portion of the West Bank. Are you suggesting that rabid settler fundies burning mosques and vandalizing and demolishing Palestinian homes and lands is done in self defense?

Those are separate issues, mostly because the West Bank does not include Iran. 

But, as long as there is a conflict over the West Bank, it's apparently open season to kill Jews and threaten mass genocide.  I guess that's the logic.  And, if you think Iran or any Arab country cares about the plight of the Palestinian people, you're incredibly naive. 

But, let's agree to disagree because this is not an issue that leads to productive rational discussion.

Why are those separate issues but somehow the Charlie Hebdo killings, the Gaza War, and Iran's tasteless but impotent "omg death to teh Jewz" rube-baiting are all evidence of Monolithic Islamism?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »

No. If Loretta Lynch locks the traitor up, I can forgive her stances on liberties/drugs.

Good lord. You want a war?

Haha Israel will fight the US? Lol bring it on!

If they kidnapped the Israeli prime minister while he was a guest on American soil? Absolutely.

Israel wouldn't win, but there might very well be no winner. Anywhere.

That's why Obama would never do this. Because he's not insane.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »

No. If Loretta Lynch locks the traitor up, I can forgive her stances on liberties/drugs.

If they kidnapped the Israeli prime minister while he was a guest on American soil? Absolutely.

How is Netanyahu a traitor? He's the PM of Israel - he's supposed to have their best interests at heart, not America's. I personally don't think what he's doing is in Israel's best interest either, but I hope you're not one of those people who think Israel is our de facto 51st state like AIPAC does.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »

If America were facing a hostile power possibly gaining nuclear weapons a stone's throw away from us, there is no way we would hesitate to exploit political divisions in another country if it would help our perceived interest. 

How is Israel threatening Iran?  Let's be real here.  Israel has justifiable defense concerns about Iran, who already have a proxy army on Israel's border and supply Hamas with rockets.  Not to mention that fact that they have literally said they want to destroy Israel.  Israel, on the other hand, only wants peace and defends itself.  But, I guess facts don't matter to you anyway.

It also wants a sizable portion of the West Bank. Are you suggesting that rabid settler fundies burning mosques and vandalizing and demolishing Palestinian homes and lands is done in self defense?

But, as long as there is a conflict over the West Bank, it's apparently open season to kill Jews and threaten mass genocide.  I guess that's the logic.  And, if you think Iran or any Arab country cares about the plight of the Palestinian people, you're incredibly naive. 

But, let's agree to disagree because this is not an issue that leads to productive rational discussion.

Why are those separate issues but somehow the Charlie Hebdo killings, the Gaza War, and Iran's tasteless but impotent "omg death to teh Jewz" rube-baiting are all evidence of Monolithic Islamism?

Those are separate issues.  Get a map, Israel does not border Iran.  

As for that Islamism comment, what are you referring to?  Are you making an analogy to something  I said or just a stupid idea in general?  I'm confused.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2015, 01:58:31 PM »

How is Netanyahu a traitor? He's the PM of Israel - he's supposed to have their best interests at heart, not America's. I personally don't think what he's doing is in Israel's best interest either, but I hope you're not one of those people who think Israel is our de facto 51st state like AIPAC does.

Apparently he MAY have been referring to Boehner - which is just as silly. The violation Boehner made was of protocol, not law. If the AG arrested the Speaker of the House over this, either she'd be fired or Obama would be impeached within the day.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »

Those are separate issues.  Get a map, Israel does not border Iran.  

As for that Islamism comment, what are you referring to?  Are you making an analogy to something  I said or just a stupid idea in general?  I'm confused.

Number of Times Iran has Attacked Israel: Zero

And it's been over thirty years since their relations became denormalized. Israel has been crying wolf about nuclear Iran since at least the 1980s and has nothing to show for it.

What exactly are they defending themselves against then? What are they so upset about?

I assumed that Charlie Hebdo was what you referred to with your "open season" comment, and if that's what they're upset about, I still don't see how Iran has any relevance.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2015, 10:34:32 PM »

I would (L) for those who are baffled why I don't have an R by my name I'm gonna say it straight. The Republicans have to make things right with me.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2015, 11:02:24 PM »

I'm uncomfortable missing work, so I guess I'd go.

Yeah, this.

It would be super easy then to hit CNN, MSNBC or C-SPAN and denounce the speech completely and call Netanyahu a dangerous neo-con (which he is).

I have to ask, is the term "neo-con" applicable in any sense to a non-American politician?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2015, 01:03:17 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 01:06:23 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Yeah, this.

It would be super easy then to hit CNN, MSNBC or C-SPAN and denounce the speech completely and call Netanyahu a dangerous neo-con (which he is).

I have to ask, is the term "neo-con" applicable in any sense to a non-American politician?

Yes, in the sense that a former left winger turns conservative (often provoked by a single issue - in Europe typically Islam) and then adjust other positions to become a more coherent Conservative, while being more hawkish on defence, foreing policy and immigration than most tradtional Conservatives.

Using it for Netanyahu makes no sense. He is a generic right winger, not a neo-con.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2015, 02:52:45 AM »

I assumed that Charlie Hebdo was what you referred to with your "open season" comment, and if that's what they're upset about, I still don't see how Iran has any relevance.

Yes I too fail to see how attack by Sunni fundamentalist on diaspora Jews really have anything to do with Iran. I would look to the other side of the Gulf.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2015, 03:26:39 AM »

Not true. Iran operates by proxy - using Hizbollah as a permanent threat to northern Israel and supplying Hamas with rockets.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2015, 03:32:54 AM »

Not true. Iran operates by proxy - using Hizbollah as a permanent threat to northern Israel and supplying Hamas with rockets.

But Hizbollah is fighting against Islamic State, too. It's complicated.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »

It would be more accurate to describe Bibi as a Churchill fetishist.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »

There are figures in Israel I think "neocon" would better fit. Natan Sharansky is pretty much the dictionary definition of a neoconservative (complete with growing up in the USSR in a leftist environment, becoming a major public intellectual, and moving to an ultrahawkish right wing posture) and was idolized by ones in the US in the last two decades.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »

Yeah, this.

Yes, in the sense that a former left winger turns conservative (often provoked by a single issue - in Europe typically Islam) and then adjust other positions to become a more coherent Conservative, while being more hawkish on defence, foreing policy and immigration than most tradtional Conservatives.

Using it for Netanyahu makes no sense. He is a generic right winger, not a neo-con.

All true, but in the US the term is also slang for any Republican Jew.  Keep that in mind.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2015, 03:51:27 PM »

No, but I probably wouldn't attend many speeches, like the one Pope Francis will give.  I don't like sitting in and watching them, they are such an unnecessary thing.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »

Yeah, this.

All true, but in the US the term is also slang for any Republican Jew.  Keep that in mind.

Not really, plenty of neocons are evangelical christians or Atheists also.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2015, 04:25:47 PM »

plenty of neocons are evangelical christians or Atheists also.

My statement neither contradicts this observation nor attempts to subsume it.  
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:48 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 05:29:00 PM by DemPGH »

I'm actually sympathetic to Israel for secular reasons, but really, no. I think I would have had other things to do that would have been more pressing, and if not, I would have found them. To me, he is trying to exert influence here with regard to policy, elections, public reaction (that's a big one), etc., and he's another politician. So no.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »

Except this possibility is very small, and arguing that they would obtain it requires you to delve into paranoia based on stretched evidence. There is still virtually no evidence Iran is trying to obtain a nuclear weapon outright, and even you admit Israel's tactics are counterproductive to the goal of preventing them from getting one in the first place.

On top of this, your argument of "well, if America was in this position, we'd do it too!" is stupid because 1.) we don't actually know that the US would recklessly torpedo a relationship with a crucial ally, 2.) the circumstances would be totally different, and most importantly 3.) it's not actually happening in reality, it's a theory created by your mind. What is happening is Israel's PM is lecturing us about how we should totally bend our foreign policy to their paranoid will so Netanyahu can win an election in two weeks.

Doesn't matter about what would happen in some alternate reality. Netanyahu is in the wrong here. End of story.

The point of this hypothetical is to demonstrate how meaningless the accusation that "Israel has decided to become a little b*tch about everything and demands their way or the highway" actually is. It's so easy to condemn another nation as distinctly awful if you aren't willing to imagine their situation.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2015, 10:37:16 PM »

I do not hold him or his political agenda in high regard, so I likely would decline to attend any speech by him.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies