Ben Carson: Prison makes people go gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:50:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ben Carson: Prison makes people go gay
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ben Carson: Prison makes people go gay  (Read 5850 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
« edited: March 04, 2015, 01:16:21 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Personally once I found out what Ben Carson's track record was I found him to be a flamethrower and firebrand that is unelectable.
Ben & Jerrys ice cream, if it were a candidate, would do a better job gaining votes.

Ben & Jerrys for president.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »

Personally once I found out what Ben Carson's track record was I found him to be a flamethrower and firebrand that is unelectable.
Ben & Jerrys ice cream, if it were a candidate, would do a better job gaining votes.

Ben & Jerrys for president.

Enthusiastically endorsed!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »

I'd vote for Ben & Jerrys or Bernie any day over Ben Carson - they're from Vermont.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 02:50:21 PM »

Am I the only person alarmed that this man has cut people's skulls open and operated on their brains???
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »

Guns, taxes, excessive spending and the AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL leadership are all that's keeping me away
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »

Thanks Ben for sharing. Now I know why I am gay. I spent a night in jail on a DUI rap! Who knew?

Without alcohol, you wouldn't have been driving under influence, spent a night in jail and, consequently, turn gay.

Conclusion: alcohol makes you gay.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »

Thanks Ben for sharing. Now I know why I am gay. I spent a night in jail on a DUI rap! Who knew?

Without alcohol, you wouldn't have been driving under influence, spent a night in jail and, consequently, turn gay.

Conclusion: alcohol makes you gay.

Finally! A perfect slogan for a nationwide temperance campaign.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:46 PM »

Am I the only person alarmed that this man has cut people's skulls open and operated on their brains???

To be fair, doctors and surgeons are very smart, but most of them know about as much about politics and government as the typical Atlas Forum poster knows about Brain Surgery.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »

Carson will carry the SF Bay Area in his Reaganesque landslide thanks to this comment.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

precisely because it is anti-freedom, from the party that claims to be freedom's champion. It's disgusting really.

Republicans onnly want freedom for wealthy, straight white people, you know. You just don't notice it because you are wealthy and white.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 04:58:46 PM »

precisely because it is anti-freedom, from the party that claims to be freedom's champion. It's disgusting really.

Republicans onnly want freedom for wealthy, straight white people, you know. You just don't notice it because you are wealthy and white.

That is a rather uncharitable characterization of me. Sad
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »

That is a rather uncharitable characterization of me. Sad
Well, it's unfortunately the party leadership and representation who are pushing for this. The party leadership also embraces moronic, anti-intellectuals like Cruz and Carson. It's not your fault they have become a party led by clowns.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »

After listening to that, I think the more urgent question is whether Carson was born stupid or stupidity is his choice.  Fortunately, freedom still wins in the end, since we don't have to elect him to anything.  

He's only stupid when talking about politics. If a fish can't climb a tree, is the fish stupid?

Fair enough.  But it looks like he is planning a campaign and asking us to judge him on the basis of his political views in that endeavor.  if a fish is not capable of climbing a tree, it shouldn't try.

And Carson is not capable of getting elected, so he shouldn't try.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »

Not really.  It's called compartmentalization.

Carson's wacky beliefs have nothing to do with how he performs brain surgery.  Depending on your point of view, Carson is normally rational but crazy when it comes to politics/religion or is normally insane but has a normal part of his brain when it comes to work-related activities.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »

It isn't a choice. To think it could be a choice makes absolutely no sense.
Some people may do an action like a kiss or pretend to be gay or attention, but they aren't actually attracted so that isn't the same thing.

I don't know much about it enough to say if it is genetic, environmental factors, or a combination of things, but I am pretty certain there is no choice in who or what one is attracted to. The only choice is how you act.

And I agree that even if it were a choice that that wouldn't warrant discrimination being acceptable. Religion IS a choice, but we don't allow discrimination on that.

Social conservatism can be good on a personal level. You may believe certain things are wrong even if no one is harmed and thus refrain from them. The problem comes when you want to put these views into law. There generally is no good argument for making them into law and thus no matter how intelligent one may be in general they come off sounding rather stupid when they advocate social conservative policy. Carson is no doubt an intelligent person in general, I don't think one can really become a doctor, especially one of his standing, if they aren't. However, he comes off sounding dumb do to advocating social conservative policy. Unfortunately a lot of social conservatives don't realize this because they share the desire of wanted such views legislated and therefore a lot of strange comments can be made when running in a party full of social conservatives.

I can go back to when I first got in politics and when I was politically socially conservative. I know I made a lot of strange comments back then that look quite stupid to me now. This kind of stuff is unfortunate because it makes a lot of people who are general good people look pretty bad.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 09:01:29 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 01:22:01 PM by pbrower2a »

Prison sex is often assault... I can't imagine assaultive behavior, whatever the orientation, sexy.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 02:48:10 AM »

After listening to that, I think the more urgent question is whether Carson was born stupid or stupidity is his choice.  Fortunately, freedom still wins in the end, since we don't have to elect him to anything.  
He's a neurosurgeon.....he can't be naturally stupid.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 03:07:36 AM »

He's a neurosurgeon.....he can't be naturally stupid.

Yeah.  But the fact that he is a neurosurgeon should equip him with at least some understanding of biology.  Anyway, no amount or kind of education guarantees protection to any of us against harboring absurd biases, I guess.  That too is part of the human inheritance. 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »

I must say, I usually scroll over these news stories, but I actually read this one.  And all I am going to say is LMFAO.

And I am going to break it down.

If what I am reading is correct, Dr. Ben Carson is saying that when men go to prison they are likely to come out gay because while they are in there they might have taken it in the ass, is that right?  You see, this is why I can't take social conservatives seriously, they are arguing that homosexual acts are "unnatural" yet people want to do them!  I mean seriously, what the blue hell is this sort of logic?!  Anyways, he has somehow managed to make an argument in favor of both a) gay sex, and b) prison reform without realizing it.  Which is even funnier.

What Dr. Carson also really fails at here is applying a universal societal gauge to guys who go to prison.  No, guys who rape other dudes in prison are not gay (hell many dudes who rape boys and sh*t probably aren't gay either, given that rape is not generally done solely to satisfy sexual urges), they are merely forcing their dominance and control over other dudes so that they don't end up waking up with a unwanted dick in their own ass or a shiv in their liver (and to fulfill some sexual needs that would otherwise be served by a woman, or in a few cases a man)!  And really, maybe this is just my bias as a straight dude who finds the idea of receiving anal disgusting, but I would much rather be the one doing the shafting than the one getting turned into the prison bitch here, because at least the former has as it's end goal the pole inside someone else's hole.  I would bet a good wooden nickel that a lot of male prisoners agree with this, and that includes the bitches.
Being in prison is not going to suddenly make the overwhelmingly straight population there suddenly go gay.  It might make them have a newfound love for anal sex, but women have asses too, you dumbsh*ts.  They can also buy strapons too, in case a man suddenly discovers his G-Spot.  Just because a man likes taking it in the ass doesn't mean he wants a man to do it (one of the many assumptions that many make about human sexuality, ie that sexual orientation is about how one does it instead of who they are doing it with).

So wow, this is probably a lot more R-Rated than I was intending, but really the amazing failure of Dr. Carson's analysis was kind of begging for it.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 08:38:05 AM »

Another observation:

You would think that conservatives would much rather homosexuality not be a choice and that gays are "born that way" because that would imply that homosexuality is not something somebody can just "catch".  The "it's a choice" argument seems very weird, especially considering that they could just as easily argue against gay rights because "only a very small portion of the population is born with gay urges and they need to convert."

Oh sh*t, I hope I didn't just give them their next anti-gay talking points.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:43 PM »

Another observation:

You would think that conservatives would much rather homosexuality not be a choice and that gays are "born that way" because that would imply that homosexuality is not something somebody can just "catch".  The "it's a choice" argument seems very weird, especially considering that they could just as easily argue against gay rights because "only a very small portion of the population is born with gay urges and they need to convert."

Oh sh*t, I hope I didn't just give them their next anti-gay talking points.

I watched a documentary about Norwegian academics. One of the things that came up that I found interesting was that sociologists argued that homosexuality was a choice and one of them found himself under fire from his colleagues when he tried to conduct research into the possibility that it was genetic. The rationale was that if homosexuality were genetic, it might be possible to eliminate it (I think, it has been a while since I watched it).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 10:15:17 PM »

According to Aaron Schock's father, we may soon find out...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2015, 07:43:58 AM »

I must say, I usually scroll over these news stories, but I actually read this one.  And all I am going to say is LMFAO.

And I am going to break it down.

If what I am reading is correct, Dr. Ben Carson is saying that when men go to prison they are likely to come out gay because while they are in there they might have taken it in the ass, is that right?  You see, this is why I can't take social conservatives seriously, they are arguing that homosexual acts are "unnatural" yet people want to do them!  I mean seriously, what the blue hell is this sort of logic?!  Anyways, he has somehow managed to make an argument in favor of both a) gay sex, and b) prison reform without realizing it.  Which is even funnier.

Someone would become a homosexual under those circumstances would do so only if he came to like anal sex. Considering what prisoners usually are in prison for, it is unlikely that anal sex in prison is a tender, loving act. If the recipient of assaultive, selfish, and even hateful sex (that is, rape) hates it, he would not leave prison 'gay'. Wrecked, of course, but not 'gay'.

On the other hand I remember some homosexual men in my college dormitory who described homosexuality as tender, loving, and respectful. They could even say "f-- you" to each other in a way in which one could interpret as the antithesis of fighting words. It just wasn't for me -- and they accepted that. One of those fellows played many recordings of Bach keyboard works on his stereo. That's not the sort of culture that one would expect in prison. Those gays were probably born to be gay... just as one of those guys and I were born to love the music of J S Bach. One gay male actually succeeded in turning me into a Bach-lover. Not gay, though.

As for prison rape -- sex among prisoners or sex between prisoners and prison staff is rightly prohibited.     

(explicit material expunged)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Highly educated people can be extremely unwise outside of the areas of their professional expertise. Ben Carson is no exception.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »

LOL...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2015, 08:33:51 AM »

If Ben & Jerry's were a candidate, it would easily surpass 500 electoral votes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies