Ben Carson: Prison makes people go gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:30:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ben Carson: Prison makes people go gay
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Ben Carson: Prison makes people go gay  (Read 5855 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »

is he wrong?  otherwise self-styled heterosexuals will find sexual release with other men if no women are available.  I'm sure my solution to this "problem" would be quite different from Carson.

there's also a problem with categorizing people into groups based on their sexuality.  I identify as a heterosexual but can find men attractive, in certain ways at certain times.  a gay friend of mine has had positive sexual experiences with women.  and so on.

'homosexual' and 'heterosexual' are not static identities, strictly speaking.

Carson I think is suggesting that after prison, where women are again available, ex-cons continue to do men, when they had not prior to being incarcerated.

it's not impossible that that's true.  however, if this constitutes a problem, wouldn't the best path to take be a massive reduction in prison populaion?  or at least an expansion of furloughs/conjugal visits?

Corrected.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »

Not that Ben Carson isn't completely wrong, but I do imagine that a decent number of prisoners go in thinking they are completely straight and, without access to women, eventually bend their own rules enough to realize they are bisexual without actually outwardly saying so. I'm sure a lot of heterosexual men and women are actually open sexually/romantically to the same sex, they just don't have any need to realize it. Nevertheless - Bisexuality: It Exists™ and is probably way more common than most care to admit.

I do wonder how much of the sexual and romantic activity within prison has a basis in coercion. It's probably impossible to attain accurate statistics on it, of course.

Anyway, even if it is a choice, or ones orientation can be changed by force - why does that make homosexuality a wrong or bad thing, exactly? If it is a choice, is all sexuality a choice? Can I choose, through coercion, to be sexually stimulated by the Newton's cradle on my desk? Should this be legislated against? What if I were brainwashed to be sexually aroused by the idea of my sexual arousal being illegal? What if conservatives afraid of catching teh gay are actually sexually aroused by the idea of turning gay? Oh, wait, that fetish totally exists already.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »

is he wrong?  otherwise self-styled heterosexuals will find sexual release with other men if no women are available.  I'm sure my solution to this "problem" would be quite different from Carson.

there's also a problem with categorizing people into groups based on their sexuality.  I identify as a heterosexual but can find men attractive, in certain ways at certain times.  a gay friend of mine has had positive sexual experiences with women.  and so on.

'homosexual' and 'heterosexual' are not static identities, strictly speaking.

Carson I think is suggesting that after prison, where women are again available, ex-cons continue to do men, when they had not prior to being incarcerated.

it's not impossible that that's true.  however, if this constitutes a problem, wouldn't the best path to take be a massive reduction in prison populaion?  or at least an expansion of furloughs/conjugal visits?

Corrected.

you support current levels of incarceration?  it is good for your particular business, no doubt.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies