Cris and Windjammer Senate tracker (now a more qualitative analysis of activity)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:16:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cris and Windjammer Senate tracker (now a more qualitative analysis of activity)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Cris and Windjammer Senate tracker (now a more qualitative analysis of activity)  (Read 3966 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
« edited: March 06, 2015, 09:22:34 AM by Mideast Senator windjammer »

Good day everyone!
Just to tell you that I will start doing analysis of the senate votes:
- a foreign score ranking the senators according to their vote on foreign issues: a 0% score would mean that the senator is hawkish (by atlasian standards), and a 100% score would mean that the senator is dovish.
-an economic score: 0%= economically progressive, 100%= pro free market
- a social score: 0%= socially progressive 100%= socially conservative
- an activity score: 0%= the senate has missed every vote. 100%= the senator hasn't missed a single vote.

I believe that the current problem with the senate as an institution is that the people doesn't know really how the senators vote. I would like to improve the relations between the senators and the People.

I plan to do that monthly. For February, I will just post the activity scores of the senators:

ACTIVITY SCORE (February):
Bore: 100%
Windjammer: 100%
Cris: 100%
TNF: 96%
Yankee: 92%
Lief: 84%
Cranberry: 80%
SWE: 80%
Polnut: 36%
Bacon King: 12%

3 senators never missed a vote in February.
5 senators missed less than 10% of the votes.
2 senators missed more than half of the votes.
25 votes were casted in February.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »

Oh and it appears that Cris was doing something similar too and he will publish soon.
So, I'm renaming "Windjammer Senate tracker" "Cris and Windjammer senate tracker" Tongue.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:08:41 PM »

Do you count just final votes or also amendment votes / motions and so on?

80% definitely needs improvement from my side, though I believe this comes from a four-day leave of absence, I recall that I did not miss a vote outside this period.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:13:03 PM »

80% definitely needs improvement from my side, though I believe this comes from a four-day leave of absence, I recall that I did not miss a vote outside this period.

I count every vote, final and amendments Tongue.

Oh yes, I totally forgot you were on leave of absence during 4 days. I won't change your score it would be a total mess for me if I have to count every leave of absence. But 80% isn't a too bad score tbh
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »

Oh yes, I totally forgot you were on leave of absence during 4 days. I won't change your score it would be a total mess for me if I have to count every leave of absence. But 80% isn't a too bad score tbh

Okay thank you.

Such would be hard, yes, but I guess if you really want objective comparisons, this would be the way to go. See for example the case of Polnut, who objectively is one of the most active Senators in the chamber, but in this case just has a score of 40 - which is, if you take in account his leave of absences, not so much a thing, but if you do not, distorts the picture heavily.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »

Okay thank you.

Such would be hard, yes, but I guess if you really want objective comparisons, this would be the way to go. See for example the case of Polnut, who objectively is one of the most active Senators in the chamber, but in this case just has a score of 40 - which is, if you take in account his leave of absences, not so much a thing, but if you do not, distorts the picture heavily.

Well, Cris has the active scores with the LOA counted. So I guess that solves the problem Tongue. Publishing the 2 scores would be a good balance yes.

I won't reveal the scores because Cris wants to do that at the end of the week. But there is only one senator whose score is significantly improved, and this is you. So except you, it didn't change a lot counting LOA or not Tongue.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »

Okay thank you.

Well, Cris has the active scores with the LOA counted. So I guess that solves the problem Tongue. Publishing the 2 scores would be a good balance yes.

I won't reveal the scores because Cris wants to do that at the end of the week. But there is only one senator whose score is significantly improved, and this is you. So except you, it didn't change a lot counting LOA or not Tongue.

Ah okay, I see. This really is the optimal situation, the publishing of both scores with and scores without LOAs simultaneously.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »

I'm really shocked by a couple of these, on both ends of the activity spectrum.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »

Expulsions forthcoming, jambles?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »

Not really, you're not in the senate, so at least every senator has posted something in the senate threads during the last month.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 05:08:50 PM »

Wow. Polnut.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2015, 05:41:22 PM by Senator Polnut »

Wait... what?! I'd like an explanation as to the determinations made by this group.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »

Activity level by Party:

Federalist: 96%
Labor: 92%
TPP: 44%

Hm...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:38 AM »

I just realized I made a mistake. Polnut's activity score isn't 40%; but 36%.

My apology, this has been corrected.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:19 AM »

As others have said, these aren't really useful or accurate scores if you count votes which occurred during LOAs.  I also think that counting amendment votes isn't the best idea, but that's obviously your call.  How do you count "abstain" votes, btw.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 09:50:43 AM by Mideast Senator windjammer »

As others have said, these aren't really useful or accurate scores if you count votes which occurred during LOAs.  I also think that counting amendment votes isn't the best idea, but that's obviously your call.  How do you count "abstain" votes, btw.
Abstain votes??? Well, they voted so I don't see why I shouldn't count their vote???

And FTR: the only persons that hves taken a leave of absence in February were Cranberry and SWE. So except for them, the voting score wouldn't change.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 09:59:02 AM »

As others have said, these aren't really useful or accurate scores if you count votes which occurred during LOAs.  I also think that counting amendment votes isn't the best idea, but that's obviously your call.  How do you count "abstain" votes, btw.
Abstain votes??? Well, they voted so I don't see why I shouldn't count their vote???

And FTR: the only persons that hves taken a leave of absence in February were Cranberry and SWE. So except for them, the voting score wouldn't change.

I agree about abstain votes, I just wanted to make sure you were counting them.  I didn't realize at first that this was just for February, so it might be good to emphasize that a little more (maybe bold it rather than just putting it in the opening post in parentheses).  Just a thought.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 09:59:45 AM »

I agree about abstain votes, I just wanted to make sure you were counting them.  I didn't realize at first that this was just for February, so it might be good to emphasize that a little more (maybe bold it rather than just putting it in the opening post in parentheses).  Just a thought.
Well, good idea. Tongue
Foucaulf
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 04:33:45 PM »

There is a bizarre fascination with the Atlasian elite and "activity" measured by presence at votes. Is someone who votes on everything but does not contribute to debate any better than someone who contributes to debate and skips the procedural stuff? Those in the second category, of course, are more like real leaders than the former.

I'm sure we could replace SWE, e.g. with a robot that votes yes or no with equal proability and no one would notice the difference. That's a sign that Windjammer's measure is flawed.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 04:41:18 PM »

There is a bizarre fascination with the Atlasian elite and "activity" measured by presence at votes. Is someone who votes on everything but does not contribute to debate any better than someone who contributes to debate and skips the procedural stuff? Those in the second category, of course, are more like real leaders than the former.

I'm sure we could replace SWE, e.g. with a robot that votes yes or no with equal proability and no one would notice the difference. That's a sign that Windjammer's measure is flawed.
Well, Foucaulf, I just counted how many votes every senator missed, I don't understand why it is a problem???

(Yes, your attempt of getting more votes at the People's convention isn't fooling anyone)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »

Guys... this a political game and I remember that things as these are present in the US politics. I remember of an article that I read 2 weeks ago about votes missed by the Senators. Tongue

This is only information. We won't have only activity scores, but a lot of other interesting data about how the Senator vote, how is close to another Senator and how he is conservative/progressive. Smiley
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »

Look, this isn't anything new...whichever party or group has inactive officeholders is going to duck and dodge claims that it matters, attempt to splice any data-points provided by claiming exceptions and disagreements in how it is presented, and even ultimately try to portray themselves as victims who are being unfairly criticized; everyone else is going to have a problem with it. Get over it.

Don't try to dress inactivity up as some sort of noble achievement or otherwise excuse it because you like the person, and surely don't try to paint yourself as a victim. This game doesn't work when people don't show up - period. The notion that if you call this sort of stuff out that people won't want to play anymore is akin to saying that a tree will die if a strong storm blows through and knocks off all the dead branches. There will always be others who are willing to do the job diligence waiting in the wings.

I wonder how my campaign would go if I promised to vote just half the time - would that be an issue for anyone? Huh It's really embarrassing to watch people get up-in-arms about a simple set of scores being posted to the forum.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 05:10:01 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 05:11:56 PM by Senator Cris »

It's not our intention to judge the Senators. And also is not the first time (https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=166950.msg3568897#msg3568897).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »

I would urge Senator Windjammer to calm down. We know what happens when you get over-excited.

You've clarified the basis of your determinations. Again, I reject the notion that I'm inactive, strongly. However, the Senators have every right to make these rankings on whatever quality of data they use or standard they apply.

As I said, I apologise for the substantive votes I missed, Februrary was a very busy month for me but the next few months will not be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies