The Poor Kids of Silicon Valley (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Poor Kids of Silicon Valley (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Poor Kids of Silicon Valley  (Read 3208 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 05, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »

Poverty hurts. Extreme wealth no more enriches the lives of those who are poor near the super-rich  than the shower that my neighbor takes cleans me.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »

Besides the awful way of presenting the content, I did think the message was pretty good. 

I am no fan of direct cash payments, but I definitely support expanding the Earned Income Tax credit, an incremental increase in the minimum wage (not a big fan of a sudden increase due to decrease in employment as seen here: http://www.nber.org/papers/w12663.pdf ). 

But I think the key is education, education, education!      In particular, while raising education spending in and of itself doesn't necessarily help, what would help (in my opinion) is a significant increase in teacher pay and a big, big increase in qualifications required to teach.  School education departments need to have engineering-like GPA averages and majoring in the specific subject should be required to teach math or science. 

On a side note, I think it would be much, much worse to be poor in Silicon Valley than say, Appalachia.  At least in poorer areas the cost of living is lower and people don't have to compete against geniuses if they do manage to climb the upward ladder and get a degree (an upward-climbing poor child living in Silicon Valley has to compete against hordes of well-educated, privileged kids with laser-like academic focus on academics, whereas in Appalachia a degree can situate one relatively high on the economic hierarchy).

But California is toward the bottom in educational achievement. K-12 education has been bad in California since Proposition 13 gutted property taxes.  California education prepares one to live in Alabama -- not California.

I was looking at getting a teaching credential in California... until I found that California teachers typically qualify for subsidized housing!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies