Korean War: Win, lose, or Draw for America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:11:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Korean War: Win, lose, or Draw for America?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The other debatable war
AmericanWin

American Draw

American Loss

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Korean War: Win, lose, or Draw for America?  (Read 3869 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:49:13 PM »

America's other war that could be considered either way. Vote!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »

Obvious draw is obvious.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »

Loss for the United Nations
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »

Well, the stated objective was to repel North Korean aggression...however, the objectives obviously changed and annexing North Korea under South Korea became the goal, and the Chinese intervention prevented that from happening.

Draw.

Fun question: in the event of no UN intervention in Korea, could we have a scenario where the South Korean government exists in exile on Jeju Island as another Taiwan-style state in exile?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »

Fun question: in the event of no UN intervention in Korea, could we have a scenario where the South Korean government exists in exile on Jeju Island as another Taiwan-style state in exile?

Doubtful.  Jeju had been a hotbed of Communist activity before the war and it isn't very large.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 07:24:46 PM »

Partial American victory, the initial goal of beating North Korea back across the 38th Parallel was fulfilled.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 01:28:28 AM »

Partial American victory, the initial goal of beating North Korea back across the 38th Parallel was fulfilled.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:00:39 AM »

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 10:26:16 AM »

I'd say loss, given that the conflict had zero popular support at home for pretty much its entirety, failed to achieve its stated goal of rolling back the communists on the peninsula, and propping up a right-wing dictatorship at the expense of the Korean people.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »

A loss for both sides.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »

I'd say loss, given that the conflict had zero popular support at home for pretty much its entirety, failed to achieve its stated goal of rolling back the communists on the peninsula, and propping up a right-wing dictatorship at the expense of the Korean people.

Is that a fact?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/7741/gallup-brain-americans-korean-war.aspx

The war was divisive for its time (nothing compared with the Vietnam War, though), but it's not like no one supported it. 
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »

Depends on how you define objectives, but I said US win because quite simply it was a NK loss, they lost their sovereignty to China, and failed at their goal of conquering and annexing the South. The US bailed SK out from the Pusan perimeter, and then managed to stop the bleeding after getting pushed back by the Chinese too
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »

Considering the difference in quality of life, culture, and basically everything in South Korea as compared to North Korea, I'd say the war was a short-term draw or minor loss, long-term win.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »

Pretty much the definition of a draw. That might change in the next 50 years, though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 01:01:35 AM »

Considering the difference in quality of life, culture, and basically everything in South Korea as compared to North Korea, I'd say the war was a short-term draw or minor loss, long-term win.
Indeed.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:09:28 AM »

You have to wonder if the people living in North Korea would have been better off if the communists had taken the entire peninsula. Was North Korea devolving into the dystopian hermit kingdom it currently is inevitable without a hostile South Korea right at its border? (this is not a rhetorical question, I'm hardly an expert on Korea) Probably the people living in South Korea would have been a little worse off, but those living in North Korea would have been many, many times better off if unified communist Korea just evolved into a miniature version of China or something.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »

You have to wonder if the people living in North Korea would have been better off if the communists had taken the entire peninsula. Was North Korea devolving into the dystopian hermit kingdom it currently is inevitable without a hostile South Korea right at its border? (this is not a rhetorical question, I'm hardly an expert on Korea) Probably the people living in South Korea would have been a little worse off, but those living in North Korea would have been many, many times better off if unified communist Korea just evolved into a miniature version of China or something.

Well by this sort of reasoning, a Central Powers victory in World War I resulting in German domination of continental Europe would have been quite desirable without the Holocaust, World War 2. Soviet totalitarianism, and so forth. And East Germany never developed into a "Hermit Kingdom" despite being bordered by West Germany.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2015, 10:00:47 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Indeed.

I would say short-term draw, long-term win for much this reason.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »

You have to wonder if the people living in North Korea would have been better off if the communists had taken the entire peninsula. Was North Korea devolving into the dystopian hermit kingdom it currently is inevitable without a hostile South Korea right at its border? (this is not a rhetorical question, I'm hardly an expert on Korea)

Yes, the Orwellianism was from day one. Nonetheless, the North had the better standard of living of the sides until about the 1970s, mostly because it had the convenience of neighboring the two largest communist powers on earth.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 11:47:25 PM »

I believe it was the industrial heart of the country before the split too.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 02:58:53 AM »

You have to wonder if the people living in North Korea would have been better off if the communists had taken the entire peninsula. Was North Korea devolving into the dystopian hermit kingdom it currently is inevitable without a hostile South Korea right at its border? (this is not a rhetorical question, I'm hardly an expert on Korea)

Yes, the Orwellianism was from day one. Nonetheless, the North had the better standard of living of the sides until about the 1970s, mostly because it had the convenience of neighboring the two largest communist powers on earth.

South Korea was a horrible dictatorship until around 1990.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 10:53:53 PM »

A win in my opinion. I mean there was 11 seasons of M.A.S.H.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies