Vietnam War: Win, Lose, or Draw for America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:47:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Vietnam War: Win, Lose, or Draw for America?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Vietnam War
American win

American draw

American loss

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Vietnam War: Win, Lose, or Draw for America?  (Read 8232 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »

How do you guys think America did in the Vietnam War?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:59 PM »

All around a pretty embarrassing loss.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:09:15 PM »

Yeah, there was no real need.  We pretty much abandoned the Saigon government.  We wouldn't have had to recommit ground troops to get the desired result but we were just too war weary to even provide what we had said we would.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:08:10 AM »

When I was younger, I was taught that it was the only war the united states ever lost. I stand by that.
KingCountyRepublican
Cougars fan for life
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 01:55:28 AM »

A pretty dismal defeat.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 03:16:25 AM »

Defeat, and a pointless and murderous one at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvA1bKLQtbM
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:08:36 AM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2015, 03:58:13 PM by IDS Judicial Overlord PiT »

A win for the US population's ability to make themselves heard, a defeat for the Pentagon.

You could probably characterize it as a win for America in the sense that it helped break public trust in the government (though Watergate had a much bigger role in that) and introduced a healthy dose of skepticism towards the actions of officials. That's really changing the meaning of victory and defeat compared to how they are understood in these contexts though.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »

You could probably make a case for draw...that the government in Saigon was still standing when the war ended and that its fall two years later is outside of the timeframe of the war and is irrelevant.

That case is stupid, however. Loss.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 08:57:08 PM »

A win for the US population's ability to make themselves heard, a defeat for the Pentagon.
The "Pentagon" is a tool the politicians use.  Blaming the "Pentagon" for Vietnam is like blaming the gun for murder.

We won every major battle, had a very good kill:death ratio despite the sh**tty conditions (the military was designed, at the point the war started, to fight on the open fields of Europe, not the jungles of southeast Asia) and left on our own terms.  A win?  well no, obviously not as we didn't reach our goals, but I've got a hard time calling it a loss.
HankW501
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »

I was just talking with my best friend today about how bad the treatment of the American soldiers returning from Vietnam by a large portion of the public totally sucked, considering that a great majority of them did not voluntarily join the army; if their number came up, they either went to Vietnam, went to jail, or sneaked across the Canadian border.

Considering that the primary objective was to keep communism from spreading, particularly in that case to keep it from spreading to South Vietnam, how could anyone possibly deny that we lost?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »

The "Pentagon" is a tool the politicians use.  Blaming the "Pentagon" for Vietnam is like blaming the gun for murder.

We won every major battle, had a very good kill:death ratio despite the sh**tty conditions (the military was designed, at the point the war started, to fight on the open fields of Europe, not the jungles of southeast Asia) and left on our own terms.  A win?  well no, obviously not as we didn't reach our goals, but I've got a hard time calling it a loss.

It doesn't matter if the US had tactical success. Wars are military means to political goals, and North Vietnam achieved its political goal (unification of Vietnam under Hanoi) while the US failed to achieve its goal (survival of the Saigon government).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 01:25:29 AM »

I'm assuming Deadman was one of the two tie votes, but who the hell voted "win"? And why oh why? Huh
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »

The "Pentagon" is a tool the politicians use.  Blaming the "Pentagon" for Vietnam is like blaming the gun for murder.

We won every major battle, had a very good kill:death ratio despite the sh**tty conditions (the military was designed, at the point the war started, to fight on the open fields of Europe, not the jungles of southeast Asia) and left on our own terms.  A win?  well no, obviously not as we didn't reach our goals, but I've got a hard time calling it a loss.

You didn't win every major battle http://www.g2mil.com/lost_vietnam.htm

By your logic the war of independence was a draw for the UK right? We weren't trained to fight there, we had a good kill:death ratio despite the sh**tty conditions (no-one likes Boston) and we left on our own terms?

If your claiming Vietnam, I'm claiming the WOI
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 12:59:13 AM »

I'm assuming Deadman was one of the two tie votes, but who the hell voted "win"? And why oh why? Huh
I didn't vote.

By your logic the war of independence was a draw for the UK right? We weren't trained to fight there, we had a good kill:death ratio despite the sh**tty conditions (no-one likes Boston) and we left on our own terms?

I said "major".  I didn't read every line from your link, but the 20ish I read were all fairly minor (at best).  You seemed to also miss the part where I said we didn't win.

I totally understand why it's considered a loss, it's just not a clean loss.

(and besides the points you made, the UK "lost" that war for some of the same reasons the US "lost" Vietnam, the people at home lost the will to fight a war that they didn't see much point in fighting and it was managed poorly by politicos an ocean away)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:24:00 AM »

I didn't vote.

I said "major".  I didn't read every line from your link, but the 20ish I read were all fairly minor (at best).  You seemed to also miss the part where I said we didn't win.

I totally understand why it's considered a loss, it's just not a clean loss.

(and besides the points you made, the UK "lost" that war for some of the same reasons the US "lost" Vietnam, the people at home lost the will to fight a war that they didn't see much point in fighting and it was managed poorly by politicos an ocean away)

So then the war of Independence wasn't a clean loss? Wicked.

Does this look like anything but a loss?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies