FiveThirtyEight: NYT Wrong. Don't Dismiss Walker: Electoral Record is Impressive
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:47:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  FiveThirtyEight: NYT Wrong. Don't Dismiss Walker: Electoral Record is Impressive
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FiveThirtyEight: NYT Wrong. Don't Dismiss Walker: Electoral Record is Impressive  (Read 2301 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/scott-walkers-electoral-record-is-just-as-impressive-as-it-looks/
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »

52% in a wave year is not impressive. He didn't even match Obama's 2012 percentage in the state.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:13:12 AM »

Basically he does better than Mitt Romney. Part of the difference may be that Mitt Romney is a below-average candidate for the Presidency due to personal flaws (namely, pathological narcissism, something difficult to quantify).

Walker certainly knows how to throw red meat to the usual constituencies of Movement Conservatism -- people who trust guns, the Bible, and corporate power than formal education or well-meaning 'government bureaucrats'. But most current right-wingers know that -- and the more that they make liberals gnash their teeth, the happier their constituents get. Oh, they don't like having Young Earth Creationism taught as unqualified truth? Maybe they can go to

If I were young enough to do so, a Walker Presidency would encourage me to emigrate. A Walker America would be the sort of place in which I would find plenty to shake my fist at.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »

If your not impressed that walker has won 3 elections in a democratic state in four years, your a hater lol. Simple as that.

52% of the vote in Wisconsin for a Republican that is despised by democrats is VERY impressive!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:43:21 AM »

If your not impressed that walker has won 3 elections in a democratic state in four years, your a hater lol. Simple as that.

Really? We've devolved into this logic? "If you disagree, you're a hater!" is what people usually say when they have no defense of their own position, and are out of ideas.

Mr. Enten's analysis doesn't factor in quality of opponents, or the idea that in some years, it's just good to have an R next to your name, no matter how conservative you are.

If you're going to use Mr. Enten's analysis as evidence that Walker is "battle-tested," you can't ignore the last part, where he argues that Bush still has Walker beat in terms of electability. A gubernatorial race, however "high-profile," is not at all the same as a national race.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:53:35 AM »

How electable is Jeb in a Bubba/Dubya referendum again?
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:57:53 PM »

If WI wasn't on a midterm cycle he would be at best a one term governor, it's as simple as that. I also think that if the union bill was put to a referendum like in Ohio, it would've been voted down. There were Obama voters that didn't vote in the recall because they were against the idea of a recall.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »

I'm impressed with his electoral success, but I hate his inhuman agenda.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »

As I said before, 2010/2014 weren't really impressive since a ham sandwich with an (R) after its name would've won in most places in those years. The recall was much more impressive because it was high turnout and focused solely on him, rather than a nationwide political climate.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »

52% in a wave year is not impressive. He didn't even match Obama's 2012 percentage in the state.

Wisconsin leans Democratic. A Republican getting 52% is about as 'impressive' as a Democrat getting 54%
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 05:32:32 PM »

People still take 538 seriously?! LOL
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »

All Walker has to do is show he's more electable than Jeb.

Not much of a challenge. Tongue
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »

How electable is Jeb in a Bubba/Dubya referendum again?

Yup.  Relative electability is what counts. 

If you want "bang for your buck" (electability times conservatism), you get a horrible outcome with Jeb, but a pretty dang good one with Walker
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 02:54:29 AM »

Oh damn, looks like we're all haters
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »

As I said before, 2010/2014 weren't really impressive since a ham sandwich with an (R) after its name would've won in most places in those years. The recall was much more impressive because it was high turnout and focused solely on him, rather than a nationwide political climate.

I can't help but wonder how the recall would have gone if the D candidate had been someone other than Barrett.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »

The fact that Harry Enten's name is on this piece is cause enough not to read it. He has the most shallow and worst analysis I've seen on the site and I'm surprised Silver hired him.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 11:16:57 PM »

There were Obama voters that didn't vote in the recall because they were against the idea of a recall.

Are these voters also against the idea of challenging an incumbent in a subsequent election? 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 12:13:47 AM »

Walker isn't underestimated, but he is polarizing compared to Marco Rubio or Jeb, because of the teacher's union being stronger against him, and Jeb and Rubio's appeal towards hispanics.  I think that the electorate will turn to Hillary as the reasonable alternative to Walker.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 12:19:22 AM »

I absolutely agree with this article.  Walker is a dangerous man and needs to be prevented from winning the presidency at all costs.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »

The unhinged nature of his opposition has been a massive boon to Walker compared to Rubio or Jeb. He's had an early taste of Presidential-level scrutiny, faced far-tougher battles, and shown he can keep his cool under pressure.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies