More fat, more Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:42:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  More fat, more Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More fat, more Republican  (Read 1322 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »

In this text, Paul Krugman showed that Romney had more votes in the states where obesity is higher. Even if you consider the whole population of the states. Minorities are more obese and vote Democratic.
If you consider only the non-Hispanic white population, the correlation between fat and Republican vote become even clearer.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/heavy-politics/?module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog Main&contentCollection=Opinion&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body

moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »

*Waits for joke about Bushie's weight and his recent avatar change*
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »

Old and middle aged, white Americans of virtually all economic classes are overweight/obese, you can tell that just by leaving your house Tongue And since white people make up 63% of the country, that's not terribly surprising.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:10:32 PM »

Old and middle aged, white Americans of virtually all economic classes are overweight/obese, you can tell that just by leaving your house Tongue And since white people make up 63% of the country, that's not terribly surprising.

Not really. White people can vary considerably in size and roundness depending on how nice of a neighborhood you're in. Go to the ritzy part of town and the men might have a slight paunch at best and the women tend to be bird-like and Botox-filled. Go out to a cheap exurb and suddenly everyone's the size of a small garden shed.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 10:04:27 PM »

I think there are clearly some lifestyle choices contributing to obesity that correlate with voting preferences such as driving everywhere vs living in a walkable urban neighborhood. I think there's also some generational divide on what it means to take care of yourself, and something of working class whites vs. the gentrifying liberal elite divide on it.

There was a study a couple years ago that correlated religiosity with being overweight. I think we've slid the sin of gluttony under the table long enough and could use a frank conversation about it within churches and social organizations as well. This country could use a good fast.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:08:05 PM »

I think there are clearly some lifestyle choices contributing to obesity that correlate with voting preferences such as driving everywhere vs living in a walkable urban neighborhood. I think there's also some generational divide on what it means to take care of yourself, and something of working class whites vs. the gentrifying liberal elite divide on it.

There was a study a couple years ago that correlated religiosity with being overweight. I think we've slid the sin of gluttony under the table long enough and could use a frank conversation about it within churches and social organizations as well. This country could use a good fast.

Preach, brother!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies