NE3: Restoration of the Arts Amendment (Signed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:55:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE3: Restoration of the Arts Amendment (Signed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE3: Restoration of the Arts Amendment (Signed)  (Read 1342 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2015, 02:51:07 AM »
« edited: March 14, 2015, 01:33:05 AM by Speaker Blair »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor: Governor Sawx, you have 36 hours to advocate for this bill
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:01:44 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2015, 03:08:29 AM by Sawx, King in the North »

This needed to be fixed. It has quite a bit of constitutional concerns to it - though not the ones that windjammer mentioned in his suit. It violates religious freedoms, forcing, say, students in our few madrassas to dress up in Mormon garb, and obviously violates freedom of speech by throwing people in jail for playing censored songs. Not only that, I wanted to base this off of peace, liberty, and brotherhood. For the fourth, I just decided to commemorate our struggles against SirNick, Scourge of the North. For the fifth, I've simply taken out the whole Parental Advisory thing, as it seems unnecessarily edgy to me.

As I said, I don't believe that every bill should be automatically repealed or vetoed if I regret it. If I f**k up like I did here, I'll fix it myself.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2015, 05:44:06 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The first bill was obscene, disgusting, revolting, legislating obscene lyrics by obscene performers, to be listened to by 5 year olds on a daily basis, threatening Nazi gestapo retaliation against school administrators, teachers, parents.

It was a clear violation of human rights, constitutional rights, and ridiculed a particular religion.

How on earth could such a monstrosity even be considered by the Assembly, let alone passed and written into law.

That is quite possibly the stupidest bill I have ever seen.

How any legislative body could even consider this let alone passing this is beyond me.

I will tell you what would happen IRL if any legislative body brought that kind of legislation in, the entire education system would come to a grinding halt within 24 hours.

This bill,  though changing the tone and the songs is just stupid.

No matter what songs are picked, there will always be something that will be offensive or objectionable, or in violation of someone's beliefs.

Students in school should be taught educational subjects, not be subjected to a barrage of stupid songs every school day.  A complete waste of time and a complete waste of taxpayers money is what this is.  

It simply deserves to be thrown out along with the original obscenity.

pikachu
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »

The original text was kind of idiotic and although this is an improvement, I still don't see the point of this...like I'd rather our anthem not be some internet meme from the 2000s which was sung by a man from the country which so valiantly fought against almost 250 years ago. If we really wanted to protect the arts, we might as well just guarantee funds for arts programs in public schools...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 03:24:44 AM »

This act is an improvement, that's clear. And I think it actually adds something rather than just repealing the Act altogether
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2015, 01:19:32 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

This act is an improvement, that's clear. And I think it actually adds something rather than just repealing the Act altogether

Yeah, that's my point. It's been my belief that no bill is a stupid bill. If a bill is failing, we fix it. If it's still failing, we repeal it. While reflecting on Winfield's term, I reflected and realized my philosophy. Specifically, my philosophy as governor is that we should work to make something out of nothing, not just simply say "this bill sucks, so let's repeal it". Even during the Days of Repeal, we managed to shepherd good public policy through this, and I proposed this to help make this bill decent public policy.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 02:57:58 PM »

Yes, this bill is an improvement over the original obscene monstrosity.

But has anyone ever stopped to consider that perhaps some of these songs may be offensive or objectionable to say certain faiths or to certain ethnicities or cultures?

The Northeast is multi cultural, multi ethnic, and a area of countless different faiths.

By forcing school children to be bombarded day after day after day by certain songs, we are stepping on their freedom not to be forced to be subjected to something that may be anathema to their faith or to their culture or to their ethnicity.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »

Yes, this bill is an improvement over the original obscene monstrosity.

But has anyone ever stopped to consider that perhaps some of these songs may be offensive or objectionable to say certain faiths or to certain ethnicities or cultures?

The Northeast is multi cultural, multi ethnic, and a area of countless different faiths.

By forcing school children to be bombarded day after day after day by certain songs, we are stepping on their freedom not to be forced to be subjected to something that may be anathema to their faith or to their culture or to their ethnicity.

That's a bit of a strawman, don't you think? Two of these songs are about peace and unity, values that we all can agree with. It's also worth noting that we don't usually see people vocally protesting about people taking away our liberties either (for the only political statement that could be remotely controversial).
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »

Why purposely go wading into a swamp that we simply do not know the potential for danger?

I see no rationale or legitimate reason for legislation such as this to be even necessary or to be introduced.

Pounding the words of these songs into young ears day after day after day after day after day is in fact a form of indoctrination.

Any thinking parent would certainly object to this tactic.

The original obscene monstrosity has to be obviously overturned, but it does not have to be replaced by another bill. 

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »

By that logic isn't all schooling indoctrination? We got the same christian songs pumped into us every day,yet I'm a devout atheist
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »

I call on the Northeast Legislature to repeal this nonsensical bill in its entirety, lest we turn our region, and its once fine education system, into a complete laughing stock.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »

Maybe we should include a fund to protect the arts from cuts in public schools? I think that'd be a more concrete way to achieve the (presumed) goals of this bill.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »

By that logic isn't all schooling indoctrination? We got the same christian songs pumped into us every day,yet I'm a devout atheist

Mr. Speaker, you can hardly compare the legitimate teaching of mathematics, biology, chemistry, history, political science, legitimate music classes, physical education, computer classes, English, French, Spanish, geography, health and wellness,  mechanics, home economics, etc., etc., etc., to songs hand picked by politicians to be blasted at students even though their parents may have, and many no doubt will find objectionable for their children to be forced to listen to.

As a matter of fact, this bill is just begging for children's parents to take legal action against the government for infringing on their ethnic or religious beliefs.

The original bill should obviously be overturned and this bill should be tabled.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 02:00:53 AM »

Mr. Speaker, you can hardly compare the legitimate teaching of mathematics, biology, chemistry, history, political science, legitimate music classes, physical education, computer classes, English, French, Spanish, geography, health and wellness,  mechanics, home economics, etc., etc., etc., to songs hand picked by politicians to be blasted at students even though their parents may have, and many no doubt will find objectionable for their children to be forced to listen to.

As a matter of fact, this bill is just begging for children's parents to take legal action against the government for infringing on their ethnic or religious beliefs.

The original bill should obviously be overturned and this bill should be tabled.

It's not going to be blasted at them-that's pure rhetoric. It's just the same as any other school music situation. It already exists in schools.

Which song infringes on ethnic or religious beliefs? Schools are already a cesspit of murky legal action based on rather weak claims
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »

Playing of the same songs over and over and over and over and over to students is in fact a form of propaganda indoctrination.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 02:17:43 PM by Speaker Blair »

Playing of the same songs over and over and over and over and over to students is in fact a form of propaganda indoctrination.

So you'd support a bill to ban all songs from school?

I don't see anything wrong with preaching equality, peace and progress in school. Do you?
pikachu
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 04:06:15 PM »

I also really don't think that the regional government should be commanding to schools what they should be playing over their intercoms. That's probably one of the places where local control makes more sense.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 04:18:09 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with preaching equality, peace and progress in school. Do you?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »

Mr. Speaker, get your mind beyond the songs themselves.  Although, as I have said, no matter what songs you have, they will be offensive or objectionable to certain ethnicities or faiths.

The real issue here is the high handed manner and the arrogant attitude that the Northeast government has that they presumably have the right and the authority to dictate to our schools the music they have to, indeed they are forced to listen to.

This whole concept is bizarre and just plain silly.

And by the way, we have to get rid of the original obscene monstrosity.

How anyone could dream up such an offensive bill, let alone pass it is beyond me.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »

Mr. Speaker, get your mind beyond the songs themselves.  Although, as I have said, no matter what songs you have, they will be offensive or objectionable to certain ethnicities or faiths.

The real issue here is the high handed manner and the arrogant attitude that the Northeast government has that they presumably have the right and the authority to dictate to our schools the music they have to, indeed they are forced to listen to.

How anyone could dream up such an offensive bill, let alone pass it is beyond me.

The Assembly understands your passion, and resolves for repealing the original bill.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »

That's why I'm changing the songs to something less offensive. I'll do some consultations with actual teachers and administrators, and if people are up in arms, we repeal it. But overall, I like the idea behind it and I'd like to see the general reactions to different songs before going blindly into repeal.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »

That's why I'm changing the songs to something less offensive. I'll do some consultations with actual teachers and administrators, and if people are up in arms, we repeal it. But overall, I like the idea behind it and I'd like to see the general reactions to different songs before going blindly into repeal.

Governor, please clarify your statement.  You talk about repeal.  By this do you mean the original bill for repeal?  Of course, if the amended bill is passed, it will replace the original bill.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 09:20:33 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Governor, please clarify your statement.  You talk about repeal.  By this do you mean the original bill for repeal?  Of course, if the amended bill is passed, it will replace the original bill.

Consider it more of a trial. I am having a consultation with teachers and administrators to see their input, and I'll be reporting that input back to y'all. Obviously the original bill cannot stand as is, so I'm going to get a consultation from professionals to see whether the general community would be okay with these songs. If it succeeds, we try it for a year. If it fails at any time, we just scrap it and move on.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »

The Assembly understands your passion, and resolves for repealing the original bill.

Thank you Mr. Speaker for your support in this matter.  I believe we should all be united to repeal the original bill.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:28 AM »

We've appeared to reach an blocking point here, unless anybody wants to extend the debate should we open it up for a vote?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies