Is Last Week Tonight the biggest example of "Better Than It Sounds" ever?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:08:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is Last Week Tonight the biggest example of "Better Than It Sounds" ever?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Last Week Tonight the biggest example of "Better Than It Sounds" ever?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Is Last Week Tonight the biggest example of "Better Than It Sounds" ever?  (Read 637 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »

Just came to me. Imagine describing the show to someone who has never heard of it before:

"So the show is basically just this British guy who sits at a desk and he gives long in depth monologues about certain topics."
"Why kind of topics?"
"Oh things like misleading labeling of vitamin supplements, infrastructure funding, pharmaceutical marketing practices, special immigrant visas, short term loans...."

Yeah describing the show makes it sound like the most boring thing imaginable.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »

No, because just mentioning that John Oliver is involved in it should make it sound really great.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »

Well, it would be very hard to do it justice describing one of the best shows on television.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »

Literally everything that's even remotely good can be the biggest example of 'Better Than It Sounds' ever because it depends solely on how poorly you're able to describe it. That's the entire point of the concept.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »

Well, you incorrectly left out that the British guy is John Oliver and it is a comedy show.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »

Well, you incorrectly left out that the British guy is John Oliver and it is a comedy show.

John Oliver doesn't quite have the name recognition of Stewart or Colbert, he's gaining it thanks to how great the show is, but when it started I doubt many would recognize his name, I'm sure many just thought of him as "the British guy from The Daily Show". As for it being a comedy show, well yeah that's kind of the point. Imagine telling someone about a 20 minute monologue on the need to increase funding for infrastructure maintenance...and that it's a comedy piece.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:16:11 PM »

The name of the show doesn't really make any sense, as it's not really a roundup of the previous week's news.  They just pick a single topic of discussion and talk about it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:58:25 PM »

The name of the show doesn't really make any sense, as it's not really a roundup of the previous week's news.  They just pick a single topic of discussion and talk about it.

Nah he usually spends about half the show talking about some news stories from the last week, and then the other half talking about his big topic that episode.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 12:09:18 AM »

Fair enough.  I've never watched the show as broadcast; just the extended monologues when they start appearing on the internet.  I'd thought that was the whole show.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 12:13:52 AM »

I really hope they don't increase the show's runtime to an hour. I think it's so awesome being condensed as it is.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 08:04:59 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2015, 08:07:40 AM by Tik »

Anything can be described in such a way that is sounds worse than it actually is. If I were to describe Last Week Tonight, it would be that one of the Daily Show's best has his own program where, every episode, he takes somewhat random topics and highlights the ridiculous way modern society approaches them in an intelligent and entertaining form.

Still kinda boring to a lot of people? Absolutely. But is that "the biggest example of 'Better Than It Sounds' ever?" No. I can think of plenty of things I can make sound worse. One example? Eating: (Mostly) organic matter is exposed to heat until relatively safe for consumption. The matter is typically masticated before being sent downwards by a tube of synchronized muscles towards the stomach. It is a prelude to digestion. It is necessary to undertake this endeavor regularly to prevent starvation. This will never change, and surely one would expect to grow weary of it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies