Do you support full congressional representation for D.C.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:08:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support full congressional representation for D.C.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you support full congressional representation for D.C.?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Do you support full congressional representation for D.C.?  (Read 1337 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:33:11 AM »

Do you support full congressional representation for D.C.? Meaning they would get a Representative and two Senators.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »

support (i like democracy)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

There is literally no rational reason to oppose this
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 11:03:49 AM »

Of course, the status quo is outrageously unfair.   However, the best solution would be to give DC to Maryland.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 11:13:08 AM »

Of course.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »

There is literally no rational reason to oppose this
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:24:05 AM »

My preferred solution would either be full retrocession to Maryland or at least to allow DC it's own Congressman in the Maryland delegation and to allow it to vote for Maryland's Senators. Statehood for Washington is a hard sell nationally, but Washington voting with the Maryland delegation would give it a real voice in federal politics.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »

I would like them to be represented by one Senator from Virginia and one Senator from Maryland (moderate hero). I have this weird OCD hangup about their being only 100 Senators for some reason.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 01:14:17 PM »

No, they should be folded into a state and be classified as a protected Congressional district. Essentially, they would get to elect their own representative and have full voting rights for Maryland's Senators.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »

Yes, and give every metropolitan area with a population higher than that of the smallest state by population size representatives in proportion to their population and two Senators.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »

My compromise:

(1) Treat DC as a state for purposes of House district apportionment. Their US representative(s) would be full voting members.

(2) Treat DC as part of Maryland for purposes of Senate representation. DC residents would vote in Maryland Senate elections and could run in Maryland Senate elections. The senators themselves would be styled as "United States Senator for Maryland and the District of Columbia."

(3) Strip the United States Congress of any authority to vote on or make local laws for the District of Columbia. (i.e. a handgun ban in DC should be decided by its mayor and city council, not by a bunch of people from other parts of the country).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »

DC deserves full voting rights in the House.  But otherwise no change is needed.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »

My compromise:

(1) Treat DC as a state for purposes of House district apportionment. Their US representative(s) would be full voting members.

(2) Treat DC as part of Maryland for purposes of Senate representation. DC residents would vote in Maryland Senate elections and could run in Maryland Senate elections. The senators themselves would be styled as "United States Senator for Maryland and the District of Columbia."

(3) Strip the United States Congress of any authority to vote on or make local laws for the District of Columbia. (i.e. a handgun ban in DC should be decided by its mayor and city council, not by a bunch of people from other parts of the country).
I was pretty much going to say something like this.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »

DC statehood seems like the most sensible option (it's what the residents want, before we go putting them under the less progressive control of Maryland or Virginia).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »

Yes, if Wyoming gets full representation, so should one of our country's greatest cities.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »

No, they should be folded into a state and be classified as a protected Congressional district. Essentially, they would get to elect their own representative and have full voting rights for Maryland's Senators.

This, though I would support granting them full representation over the status quo.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »

This, though I would support granting them full representation over the status quo.

Yeah, the current status quo is untenable, and statehood will likely be pushed under the next period of Democratic control. Thus, I would say some sort of reform should be a priority of the next GOP admin.

A sacrifice of one Congressional seat and pushing Maryland further into the blue should be a reasonable price to pay for settling the issue for good.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 05:55:34 PM »

DC residents don't want to join Maryland though--that should be addressed before we pass some law adding them to it.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 08:49:46 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2015, 07:30:38 PM by Pacific Speaker Türkisblau »

Of course. The only reason that this hasn't happened is because the Republicans will obviously block 2 additional Democratic Senators.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »

My compromise:

I was pretty much going to say something like this.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »

Yes, through full retrocession to Maryland, though this is an intriguing alternative:

My compromise:

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 01:36:41 AM »

Yes, through full retrocession to Maryland, though this is an intriguing alternative:

My compromise:

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies