Well, look what HE's doing to US now...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:35:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Well, look what HE's doing to US now...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Well, look what HE's doing to US now...  (Read 26444 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2005, 06:33:57 AM »

TEXAS (no, don't hold your breath, not done yet)
20,852 mio inhabitants
209 seats.

The following counties entitled to seats of their own:
1 Angelina, 80K
Victoria, 84K
Orange, 85K
Parker, 88K
Bowie, 89K
Guadalupe, 89K
Hays, 98K
Randall, 104K
Tom Green, 104K
Ellis, 111K
Grayson, 111K
Gregg, 111K
Potter, 114K
Midland, 116K
1+1 Ector, 121K
Johnson, 127K
Wichita, 132K
Brazos, 152K
2 Smith, 175K
Webb, 193K
McLennan, 214K
Bell, 238K
2+1 Brazoria, 242K
Lubbock, 243K
Williamson, 250K
3 Galveston, 250K
Jefferson, 252K
Montgomery, 294K
Nueces, 314K
Cameron, 335K
4 Fort Bend, 354K
Denton, 433K
5 Collin, 491K
6 Hidalgo, 569K
7 El Paso, 680K
8 Travis, 812K
14 Bexar, 1,393 mio
Tarrant, 1,446 mio
22 Dallas, 2,219 mio
34 Harris, 3,401 mio
...leaving 4,012 mio in the remaining 213 counties for 35 seats and part of 8. I've checked whether any of the +1 counties might be combined with other major counties, and will probably combine Galveston and Brazoria (492K, 5 seats, leaving 36+7) and Bell and Williamson (488K, 5 seats, leaving 35+6).
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2005, 12:50:42 PM »

Changed some seat names in the Mountains.
I'll have to transfer Sierra County out of the Alamogordo seat, it's divided from the remainder of the seat by a missile range. Probably exchange it for Socorro.
Edit: Done.

Interesting. What 'building blocks' are you using to create the districts, anyway? Counties and...?
the next level down. Basically after I've created and, in most cases, posted, the districts I'm looking at another, offline, more goegraphical map to see if what I've written makes any sense at all. In some of the worst cases, I've made changes afterwards.

Btw, when I wrote "that means you" in the NM article, I meant you.

OK, got it. And I figured you were referring to me, I've just been (and likely will be for much of the next month) too busy to give this the attention it deserves. Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2005, 11:58:48 PM »

whilst I appreciate you doing this, the prblem with naming seats after twons is that it doesn't cover the whole seat. For example, when it was created Kalgoorlie was just the town, which was bigger as a % back in 1901 then it is now. It now spreads throughout practically th whole WA outback. It's probably the only case of this problem in Australia. But you look at seats in Canada like that Kenowa-something one-what about all the other areas? Calling the seat "Rural Ontario Central West" would be more accurate, but rather boring. Naming it after a community leader in the area, or a river, etc., is much better imho.

I live in a relativekly boringly-named seat, Melbourne Ports, which sorta kinda suffers the smae probelms as Kalgoorlie. When it was created, it basically only covered Port Melbourne, the dockyards, South Melbourne and Albert Park-the area the port's workers lived in, basically, and where the Port asolutely dominated life. Now it spreads right along the bay, although it is still a reasonable name because it is basically the whole inner city shorline. Anyway, names that are based on locations generally=bad.

Um... Kelowna is in British Columbia not Ontario. And naming districts after people is just dumb for the geographers at heart.
He was probably thinking of Kenora.
Anyways, Australians are doing that all the time.

Hmm, well Kenora is named for Kenora District, not Kenora the town. However, kelowna would make sense in his analogy - sorta.

Anyways, this is really no fun without maps. Why go through all the trouble without trying to visually entertain us. I'm not American, I have trouble envisioning this without maps.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2005, 04:17:02 AM »

Yeah, me too. It's just that I don't know how to make them. And am not always working from the same computer.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2005, 05:12:54 AM »

...leaving 4,012 mio in the remaining 213 counties for 35 seats and part of 8. I've checked whether any of the +1 counties might be combined with other major counties, and will probably combine Galveston and Brazoria (492K, 5 seats, leaving 36+7) and Bell and Williamson (488K, 5 seats, leaving 35+6).
I would pair Ector-Midland and Ellis-Johnson.  An overwhelming part of the population of Ector and Midland are in the cities of Odessa and Midland.  If you don't pair them, you will have part of the city of Odessa in a district with a bunch of counties with small towns between them.  Pair the two and you might have to stick part of one city with its neighbor.

Pairing Ellis and Johnson and you can pick cities on either side of the county line, and avoid having to go outside the DFW metro area for the second Johnson district.

The Williamson population is concentrate along the southern edge near Austin, while the Bell population is around Temple, and Killeen/Fort Hood.
On the other hand, it may not be reak easy to find a county to go with Williamson.  Can it be given a 3rd district?

The population centers in Galveston and Brazoria are split apart except for the Houston suburbs.

Another possiblity pairing would be Jefferson-Orange.  Beaumont will be a problem for 3 small seats, but OK for 3 large seats.  You could include Port Neches-Groves-Nederland area with Orange, and then have a Beaumont seat and a Port Arthur and everything else seat.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2005, 05:35:18 AM »

I would pair Ector-Midland and Ellis-Johnson.  An overwhelming part of the population of Ector and Midland are in the cities of Odessa and Midland.  If you don't pair them, you will have part of the city of Odessa in a district with a bunch of counties with small towns between them.  Pair the two and you might have to stick part of one city with its neighbor.
Pairing Ellis and Johnson and you can pick cities on either side of the county line, and avoid having to go outside the DFW metro area for the second Johnson district.

Problem is...in both cases that'd mean shifting just a tiny part of the county into another district so that both districts are just about inside the population limit. (I actually thought about doing this.) 
I've paired Johnson County with areas to the West now - Hood (which would appear to be exurban in population structure), Somervell (which is tiny anyways), and Erath counties.
Then, it's not actually necessary to split the city of Odessa. Odessa CDP has 101K and seems to include all of the city. Of course, most of the remaining 20K is just outside city limits in an unincorporated place called West Odessa ...anyways these 20K serve me well to create a "rural Permian Basin" district... which brings me to one naming question: How far North does the "Permian Basin" extend? How far North and South does the Llano Estacado extend?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yes, I noticed that. However, one Killeen seat, one Temple seat, two Just-outside-Austin seats, and one seat for the remainder works out reasonably well, except that I had to include Belton in it to bring it to just over 80K.

which is where I located the boundary-crossing district. However, there is an alternative. Haven't checked how well it works out yet (I'll do it if you tell me to.) That would be to pair Brazoria and Fort Bend, let Galveston have three districts of its own.

I'd also have to create another rural district. Smiley
Going by CCD's Beaumont has 113K, E Jefferson has 116K, and three or four smaller ones have 22K. If pairing that with Orange was what you proposed, yeah, everything neat numberswise. It's not, though. The area you're pairing with Orange is the NWern part of "East Jefferson"...indeed it would have to be that area as those rural areas are SW of it. So I'd basically have to include them in the Port Arthur seat, then.
That's still somewhat neater then the best I could come up with with three seats* and Orange County its own seat, but not really neat enough to warrant violating the "rules" - especially as I don't need another district for rural Texas.

* A Beaumont North seat, a Port Arthur seat, and a Beaumont South - Texas Point seat to include the Southern fourth of Beaumont, the Nederland etc area SE of it, and the rural areas in the South and West of the county.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2005, 05:53:07 AM »

TEXAS
first enstalment - East Texas outside the metros.
20,852 mio
209 seats
TEXARKANA (& NEW BOSTON)
Bowie County. 89K
PARIS & SULPHUR SPRINGS
Lamar, Delta, Hopkins, Franklin, Red River. 108K
MOUNT PLEASANT (grateful for better name)
Titus, Morris, Camp, Upshur. 93K
MARSHALL
Harrison, Marion, Cass. 103K
LONGVIEW
Gregg. 111K
VAN ZANDT & UPPER SABINE
Van Zandt, Rains, Wood. 94K
TYLER
Tyler CDP. 88K (but just 69K of the city's 84K, oddly)
WHITEHOUSE & LINDALE (though the largest city is actually...Tyler. Numbers were to good to resist, though.)
Remainder of Smith County. 87K
SABINE RIVER
Panola, Shelby, San Augustine, Sabine, Jasper, Newton. 118K
NACOGDOCHES
Nacogdoches, Rusk. 106K
LUFKIN (or ANGELINA)
Angelina. 80K
BIG THICKET
Tyler, Polk, Hardin. 110K
HUNTSVILLE
Walker, San Jacinto, Trinity. 98K

Just noticed I forgot something. I decided to split Anderson County, pair part with Henderson, part with Cherokee and Houston. I haven't worked out yet where the split goes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2005, 06:25:07 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2005, 06:49:24 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

TEXAS
part two
CROCKETT, PALESTINE & JACKSONVILLE
Cherokee, Houston counties; Elkhart and Palestine CCDs of Anderson couny. 102K
ATHENS
Henderson county; Cayuga, Montalba - Tennessee Colony, and Frankston CCDs of Anderson county. 96K
HILLSBORO & CORSICANA
Navarro, Hill, Freestone. 95K
(MARLIN &) NAVASOTA RIVER
Falls, Limestone, Robertson, Leon, Madison, Grimes. 109K
COLLEGE STATION
North East Brazos, South Brazos CCDs, part of Bryan - College Station CCD in College Station. 89K
BRYAN & CAMERON
Part of Bryan - College Station CCD in Bryan, West Brazos CCD, Burleson, Milam counties. 103K
BRENHAM, HEMPSTEAD & BELLVILLE
Austin, Waller, Washington. 87K
ORANGE
Orange County. 85K
PORT ARTHUR
SW Part of East Jefferson CCD (116K)
BEAUMONT NORTH
Part of Beaumont CCD (113K)
BEAUMONT SOUTH & NEDERLAND
Remainder of both CCDs
Remainder of Jefferson County (22K) to be distributed shortly.
LOWER TRINITY
Liberty, Chambers. 96K
THE WOODLANDS
CONROE
South East Montgomery CCD. 208K
LAKE CONROE
Remainder of Montgomery county. 86K
BAYTOWN
Baytown, North East Harris CCDs. 113K
PASADENA EAST & LAPORTE
South East Harris CCD (82K), part of Pasadena CCD (136K)
PASADENA WEST
Remainder of Pasadena CCD.
HOUSTON 1-27 (would have to be named afer neighborhoods. Obviously.)
1,907 mio of this area's 2,665 mio are officially within city limits. There are no really major suburban towns.
NORTH WEST HARRIS 1-4 (place names, not cardinal points, obviously)
405 K together. Many very small suburban cities, much unincorporated land.

Plan A for Galveston/Brazoria/Fort Bend area. Plan B will be made if Jim tells me to.
GALVESTON
Galveston, Bolivar Peninsula, La Marque - Hitchcock CCDs. 87K
TEXAS CITY
Part of Texas City - League City CCD (163K). If possible, all but Friendswood and League City (66K together)
LEAGUE CITY - PEARLAND
Remainder of Texas City - League City CCD (and thus of Galveston county). city of Pearland from Alvin - Pearland CCD (109K) of Brazoria County.
This should be as close as coterminously possible to just Pearland, Friendswood, and League City (102K)
ANGLETON & ALVIN
Remainder of Alvin - Pearland CCD, Angleton - Rosharon CCD (40K)
LAKE JACKSON
Brazosport, Brazoria - West Columbia CCDs. 93K
MISSOURI CITY
Stafford - Missouri City CCD of Fort Bend county. 89K
SUGAR LAND (EAST)
Part of Sugar Land CCD (167K)
PECAN GROVE & MISSION BEND (or SUGAR LAND WEST, or PECAN GROVE & SUGAR LAND WEST)
Remainder.
ROSENBERG & RICHMOND. What's the county named for anyway?)
Remainder of the county. 98K
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2005, 07:40:50 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2005, 06:54:12 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

TEXAS
Part three

MATAGORDA BAY
Matagorda, Jackson, Calhoun, Aransas, Regugio. 103K
WHARTON, EAGLE LAKE & HALLETTSVILLE
Wharton, Colorado, Lavaca. 80K
BASTROP, GIDDINGS & LAGRANGE
Bastrop, Fayette, Lee. 96K
GONZALES & FLORESVILLE
Kramer, DeWitt, Wilson, Gonzales. 103K
VICTORIA
Victoria. 84K
SINTON & BEEVILLE
San Patricio, Bee, Goliad. 106K
CORPUS CHRISTI CENTRAL
CORPUS CHRISTI EAST & PORT ARANSAS
CORPUS CHRISTI WEST & ROBSTOWN
Nueces County. Corpus Christi CCD 269K is in all three districts. Port Aransas CCD 10K is in the eastern district. Remainder of county 35K is in the western district.
KINGSVILLE & ALICE
Duval, Jim Wells, Kleberg. 85K
ATASCOSA & NUECES RIVERS
Frio, La Salle, McMullen, Live Oak, Atascosa, Karnes. 88K
LAREDO NORTH
LAREDO SOUTH (& RIO BRAVO)
Webb County. 193K. Parts of Laredo CCD (143K) in both districts. South includes Bruni - Mirando CCD (40K, of which 25K actually in Laredo), North includes Webb CCD (10K)
RIO GRANDE CITY & RAYMONDSVILLE
Starr, Zapata, Jim Hogg, Brooks, Kenedy, Willacy. 99K
McALLEN
PHARR & SAN JUAN
McAllen - Pharr CCD of Hidalgo county. 208K
EDINBURG
Edinburg CCD. 98K or somewhat less (see below)
WESLACO & DONNA
South East Hidalgo CCD. 102K or somewhat less (see below)
MISSION
About 90K of Mission CCD (110K), the Alton area missing.
ELSA & SULLIVAN CITY
Remaining CCDs of Hidalgo County (52K), about 20K from Mission CCD, at least about 10K from either Edinburg or South East Hidalgo CCD. SE makes more sense numberswise, Edinburg geographically. Should be only from one of the two - no need to split both
HARLINGEN
Part of Harlingen - San Benito CCD (129K) of Cameron County
BROWNSVILLE (SOUTH)
Part of Brownsville city (136K) and CCD (164K).
BROWNSVILLE NORTH & SOUTH PADRE ISLAND
Remainder of both, remaining CCDs (42K)

I'm trapped! Smiley I'll have to restart from the North!

WICHITA FALLS
Wichita Falls CCD. 108K
GAINESVILLE & BURKBURNETT
Remainder of Wichita county, Archer, Clay, Montague, Cooke counties. 99K
GRAHAM & MINERAL WELLS
Palo Pinto, Jack, Wise, Young. 103K
SHERMAN & DENISON
Grayson. 111K
GREENVILLE & BONHAM
Hunt, Fannin. 108K
ROCKWALL & KAUFMAN
Rockwall, Kaufman. 114K
PLANO NORTH
PLANO SOUTH
PLANO EAST & ALLEN (geographical points might be off due to population distribution inside Plano)
Parts of Plano CCD (361K) - mostly cities of Plano (222K) and Allen (45K)
LAKE LAVON
Remainder of Plano CCD, Princeton, Farmersville, Nevada, Blue Ridge CCDs (29K)
McKINNEY
McKinney, Celina, Anna CCDs. 101K
HEBRON (or CARROLTON NORTH) - THE COLONY
Denton County CCDs of these names. 119K
Most of Hebron CCD is in Carrolton city, which crosses the county line.
LEWISVILLE
FLOWER MOUND
Lewisville (170K) and Justin - Roanoke (28K) CCDs. 198K together
DENTON
Denton, Pilot Point - Aubrey, Sanger CCDs. 117K
DALLAS 1-22 (neighborhood and suburb names)
CCDs are Northeast (14 seats) and Southwest (8 seats) and are not particularly helpful or anything. I think they split the county along the Trinity River. Northeast would have at least 8 Dallas seats, 2 Garland seats, 1 or 2 Mesquite seats, a Richardson seat, perhaps a Carrolton seat.
Southwest would have 4 Dallas seats, 2 Irving seats, 1 Grand Prairie seat, one seat combining two names from smaller Southern suburbs.
ARLINGTON 1-4 (city: 332/404K)
FORT WORTH 1-6 (city: 501/639K)
NORTH EAST TARRANT 1-4
Yeah well, those are the Tarrant County CCDs. NE has 403K. Possible name components in NE include Bedford, Euless, North Richland Hills, Grapevine, Haltom City, Hurst.
ENNIS & WAXAHACHIE
Ellis county. 111K
BURLESON - ALVARADO
Part of Johnson County: Alvarado, Burleson - Joshua, Grandview CCDs, Keene area of Cleburne CCD. 82K plus Keene area (>5K, both because of size of next seat and because that's the population of the town of Keene)
CLEBURNE & STEPHENVILLE
remainder of Cleburne CCD, Godley CCD, Hood, Somervell and Erath counties. 125K - at least 5K (see above)
WEATHERFORD
Parker. 88K
GATESVILLE & (? I thought of LOAN MOUNTAIN)
Bosque, Coryell, Hamilton, Comanche. 114K
BROWNWOOD & LAMPASAS
Brown, Mills, Lampasas, Burnet. 95K
WACO
Area included in both the city (129K) and the CCD (164K). 112K
HEWITT & CRAWFORD
Remainder of McLennan county. 102K
KILLEEN
Killeen CCD. 112K
TEMPLE
Temple, East Bell, North West Bell, Fort Hood CCDs. 90K
BELTON & TAYLOR
Belton, Rogers, South Bell, South West Bell CCDs; Florence, Granger, Jarrell, Taylor CCDs. 83K
GEORGETOWN & ROUND ROCK EAST
Part of Georgetown - Round Rock CCD (150K)
CEDAR PARK & ROUND ROCK WEST
Liberty Hill - Cedar Park CCD (53K), remainder of Georgetown - Round Rock CCD.
AUSTIN NORTH WEST & LAKEWAY
North West Travis and South West Travis CCDs. 99K (of which 47K are inside Austin city)
7 more AUSTIN seats
Austin CCD (668K, of which 593K inside city), North East Travis CCD (46K)
SAN MARCOS
Hays. 98K
NEW BRAUNFELS
Comal, Kendall. 102K
SEGUIN
Guadalupe. 89K
14 BEXAR / SAN ANTONIO seats.
San Antonio city has 1,144 mio. San Antonio CCD has 1,341 mio. Bexar SE and W CCDs have just 52K together.
KERRVILLE & HONDO (I actually thought of calling it HILL COUNTRY, but that's a wider area I think)
Kerr, Bandera, Medina. 101K
EAGLE PASS
Maverick, Dimmit, Zavala, Kinney, Uvalde. 98K
FREDERICKSBURG & SAN SABA RIVER
Concho, McCulloch, San Saba, Mason, Llano, Menard, Kimble, Schleicher, Sutton, Gillespie, Blanco, Edwards, Real. 86K
SAN ANGELO
Tom Green. 104K
ABILENE
Abilene CCD. 115K
COLEMAN & SWEETWATER
Remainder of Taylor; Mitchell, Nolan, Callahan, Coke, Runnels, Coleman, Eastland. 93K
VERNON, BRECKINRIDGE & SNYDER (or geographical term)
Scurry, Kent, Stonewall, Haskell, Fisher, Jones, Shackelford, Throckmorton, Stephens, Hardeman, Foard, Knox, Wilbarger, Baylor. 95K
UPPER CANADIAN (for want of better name, suggestions?)
First two tiers of Panhandle; Oldham, Deaf Smith. 101K
AMARILLO NORTH
Potter. 114K
AMARILLO SOUTH
Randall. 104K
PAMPA & PRAIRIE DOG TOWN FORK (for want of better name, suggestions?)
Carson, Gray, Wheeler, Armstrong, Donley, Collingsworth; entire fifth tier of Panhandle; Bailey, Motley, Cottle, Dickens, King. 97K
LUBBOCK WEST
LUBBOCK EAST
Lubbock CCD. 223K together
PLAINVIEW
Remainder of Lubbock county; Lamb, Hale, Floyd. 80K
LLANO ESTACADO SOUTH (is this even remotely correct? suggestions welcome)
Cochran, Hockley, Crosby, Yoakum, Terry, Lynn, Garza, Borden, Dawson, Gaines. 96K
MIDLAND
Midland county. 116K
ODESSA
Odessa CCD. 101K
PERMIAN BASIN (does the term extend this far?)
Remainder of Ector; Winkler, Loving, Ward, Crane, Upton, Glasscock, Reagan, Sterling, Howard, Martin, Andrews. 102K
DEL RIO & TRANS PECOS
Val Verde, Crockett, Irion, and all counties entirely west of the Pecos except El Paso. 106K
SOCORRO
El Paso East CCD. 104K
EL PASO NORTH EAST & FORT BLISS
Part of El Paso CCD (519K), El Paso NW and North Central CCDs (56K)
5 more EL PASO seats, cardinal points or neighborhoods. Remainder.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2005, 11:03:04 AM »

I've just noticed a serious error with this...plus another minor oversight. I'll post it anyways, for now, and get back to you.

LOUISIANA
4,469 mio. 45 seats

For some reasons, Louisiana's parishes are subdivided into numbered (or sometimes lettered) Districts. These presumably were of roughly equal size two or three decades ago, and are still in most cases roughly equal-ish now.
Anyways, I've used them as CCD's, except in Jefferson Parish where they got really ugly - but places worked very well.

A number of parishes entitled to seats of their own (you'll get to those). Rapides and Ouachita entitled to a seat plus part of one, combined with other parishes. Washington Parish cought between a rock (two of them actually - Tangipahoa and St Tammany Parishes) and a hard place (the State of Mississippi). Shares a district with part of St Tammany now.

SHREVEPORT NORTH
Caddo districts 3, 4, 5, 7. 82K
SHREVEPORT SOUTH
Districts 6, 8, 9, 10. 85K
SHREVEPORT WEST & CADDO LAKE
Districts 1, 2, 11, 12. 85K
BOSSIER
Bossier. 98K
NATCHITOCHES
De Soto, Red River, Sabine, Natchitoches. 97K
MINDEN & RUSTON
Webster, Claiborne, Lincoln. 101K
MONROE
Ouachita districts C, D, E, F. 91K
BASTROP & WEST MONROE
Districts A, B; Morehouse, Union parishes. 110K
WINNFIELD (only town of any note at all in this vast rural district, and in the center. They'd have picked that name in 1970's England. Nowadays? I'm not so sure)
Bienville, Jackson, Kramer, Winn, Grant, LaSalle, Catahoula. 103K
TENSAS RIVER
Richland, East Carroll, West Carroll, Madison, Franklin, Tensas, Concordia. 104K
ALEXANDRIA & LEESVILLE
Vernon Parish; Rapides districts D, E, F, G, I. 119K
MARKSVILLE & PINEVILLE
Avoyelles Parish; Rapides districts A, B, C, H. 102K. A, B, C is part of parish northeast of Red River. H is a vast rural district in the southern part.
VILLE PLATTE & DE RIDDER
Evangeline, Allen, Beauregard. 93K
LAKE CHARLES (or CALCASIEU) WEST
Calcasieu districts 1, 3, 5, 11-15. 17K of city's population. Outside the city, Calcasieu River is constituency boundary. 95K
LAKE CHARLES (or CALCASIEU) EAST
Districts 2, 4, 6-10. 89K (of which 54K inside city)
ABBEVILLE & JENNINGS
Vermilion, Jefferson Davis, Cameron. 95K
LAFAYETTE NORTH WEST
Districts A, B, E. 88K (including 40K of city)
LAFAYETTE SOUTH EAST
Districts C, D, F, G. 103K (including 70K of city)
OPELOUSAS
Saint Landry. 88K
NEW IBERIA
Iberia, Saint Martin. 123K
MORGAN CITY
Saint Mary, Assumption. 77K
This was the minor oversight: The separate Southern part of St Martin has to go into Morgan City. I didn't check whether it has the required population, though, or whether I have to eat into Iberia parish as well.
I have checked now and it's only about 1,600 people there (not yet included in pop. totals)
PLAQUEMINES & DONALDSONVILLE
Iberville, Ascension. 110K
LAC DES ALLEMANDS
Saint Charles, Saint James, Saint John the Baptist. 113K
HOUMA
Terrebonne. 105K
BAYOU LAFOURCHE
Lafourche. 90K
MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI
Plaquemines, Saint Bernard. 94K
NEW ORLEANS 1-5
Yeah, well, five seats. No districts offered here. I hope one can be called Algiers.
GRETNA
Gretna, Harvey, Timberland, Terrytown, Woodrose cities and CDPs. Hope I can still read my screed. 88K plus some unincorporated areas (16K across Jefferson parish, almost all of it here and in the next district)
MARRERO & JEAN LAFFITTE
Remaining cities and CDPs south of the Mississippi. 109K minus some unassigned areas.
KENNER
Kenner, River Ridge. 86K
METAIRIE NORTH
METAIRIE SOUTH & HARAHAN
Metairie (146K), Jefferson, Elmwood, Harahan (26K) in South district. 172K together (plus a sliver of unassigned land)
NEW ROADS & FELICIANA
West Baton Rouge, Pointe Coupee, West Feliciana, East Feliciana, Saint Helena. 92K
BATON ROUGE NORTH & BAKER
East Baton Rouge districts 1, 2, and 4. 100K (20K of Baton Rouge city)
BATON ROUGE CENTRAL (more properly North Central, but that's a wee bit confusing)
Districts 5, 6, 7. Industrial Complex unorganized territory. 97K (84 inside city)
BATON ROUGE SOUTH WEST
Districts 3, 10, 12. 103K (70K inside city)
BATON ROUGE SOUTH EAST
Districts 8, 9, 11. 112K (53K inside city)
LIVINGSTON
Livingston Parish. 92K
TANGIPAHOA
Tangipahoa. 101K
SLIDELL
St Tammany districts 1, 6-9, 11-14. 117K
MANDEVILLE & BOGALUSA
Districts 2-5, 10; Washington parish. 118K

And the major error is...I forgot a parish. A biggish one. Acadia. With 59K inhabitants.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2005, 11:27:09 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2005, 02:31:48 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

I've just noticed a serious error with this...plus another minor oversight. I'll post it anyways, for now, and get back to you.
Okay, I've found a solution. Instead of:
read:

CROWLEY & VILLE PLATTE
Evangeline, Allen, Acadia. 119K
SULPHUR & DE RIDDER
Calcasieu districts 1, 11-15; Beauregard parish. 104K
LAKE CHARLES
Calcasieu districts 2-10. 113K. Includes all of Lake Charles. Except for small area just outside the city, Calcasieu River is the boundary.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2005, 04:37:26 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2005, 04:11:35 PM by muon2 »

For decades Chicago has been divided into community areas that now coincide with groups of census tracts that have summary data collected for them. In terms of census data they area at an equivalent level to townships. The Chicago Community Area Data can be found at the City of Chicago's Department of Planning and Development.

The url for the page with the map is map page

The population data can be looked up on this page: pop page

If you want my suggestions on the division into 100 K units I'll be happy to oblige.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2005, 02:38:03 AM »

Thanks. Very nice.
When I get to Chicago I'll come back to you. Or maybe I'll just make a map and ask you for corrections.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2005, 05:07:08 AM »

ARK & SAW
2,673 mio. 27 seats

Benton
153K, 1+1
Washington
157K, 1+1. These two paired for 3.
Craighead
82K, 1
Faulkner
86K, 1
Garland
88K, 1
Jefferson
84K, 1
Pulaski
361K, 4
Saline
84K, 1
Sebastian
115K, 1
Remainder of the state
1,463 mio but only 14 seats left.

ROGERS & BENTONVILLE
The following Benton county townships: Esculapia, Osage, Mount Vernon, Brightwater, Sugar Creek, Garfield, Walnut, War Eagle, Roller Ridge, Dickson, Garland, Wallace, Sulphur Springs. 107K
SPRINGDALE
Remainder of Benton county; the following Washington county townships: Springdale, Elm Springs, Tontitown, Johnson, Harmon, Brush Creek. 102K
FAYETTEVILLE
Remainder of Washington county. 101K
CLARKSVILLE & WHITE ROCK
Crawford, Franklin, Johnson. 94K
FORT SMITH
Sebastian. 115K
HARRISON & BUFFALO RIVER
Madison, Carroll, Newton, Boone, Searcy, Marion. 106K
RUSSELLVILLE & MORRILTON
Pope, Van Buren, Conway, Perry. 100K
CONWAY
Faulkner. 86K
MOUNTAIN HOME & HEBER SPRINGS
Baxter, Fulton, Izard, Stone, Cleburne. 98K
SEARCY & BATESVILLE
White, Independence. 101K
PARAGOULD & POCAHONTAS
Clay, Green, Randolph, Lawrence, Sharp
JONESBORO
Craighead. 82K
BLYTHEVILLE & NEWPORT
Mississippi, Poinsett, Jackson. 96K
WEST MEMPHIS & FORREST CITY
Crittenden, Cross, Saint Francis, Lee. 113K
STUTTGART
Lonoke, Prairie, Monroe, Arkansas, Woodruff. 103K
HELENA & MONTICELLO
Phillips, Desha, Chicot, Lincoln, Drew, Ashley. 112K
PINE BLUFF
Jefferson. 84K
LITTLE ROCK EAST
LITTLE ROCK WEST
Cities of Little Rock and Cammack Village, College Station CDP, that part of Alexander town that is inside Pulaski county (ie, Little Rock and areas enclosed by it). 185K
NORTH LITTLE ROCK & MAUMELLE
cities of North Little Rock and Maumelle, unincorporated areas to the west of the county on both sides of the Arkansas river. 71K + unincorporated areas. Might have to include part of Greenwood city as well.
JACKSONVILLE & TOLTEC MOUNDS
Remaining cities, towns, and CDPs, unincorporated areas to the east of the county on both sides of the river. 70K + unincorporated areas (looks like most inhabited unincorporated areas are here)
SALINE
Saline. 84K
HOT SPRINGS
Garland. 88K
MENA & MAGAZINE MOUNTAIN
Logan, Yell, Scott, Montgomery, Polk, Howard, Sevier. 113K
ARKADELPHIA
Cleveland, Grant, Dallas, Hot Spring, Clark, Pike, Nevada. 109K
TEXARKANA (AR) & HOPE
Little River, Miller, Lafayxette, Columbia, Hempstead
EL DORADO & CAMDEN
Union, Bradley, Calhoun, Ouachita. 94K
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2005, 05:59:23 AM »

ATHENS & TENNESSEE COLONY
Henderson county; Cayuga, Montalba - Tennessee Colony, and Frankston CCDs of Anderson county. 96K
I think most of the population of Tennessee Colony is a prison.  I'd probably just leave it as Athens.

Bellville, Hempstead.

I had never heard of Texas Point.  If the area were to be included in the name,
it would be Sabine Pass.   Couldn't this be in the Port Arthur seat?   There is nothing to the
SW of Port Arthur.

I would include both Richmond and Rosenberg in the name, and skip Cinco Ranch.

It was a Fort at at a bend in the Brazos River.   I think it is the big loop north of Richmond.

Fort Bend

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2005, 06:24:20 AM »

WHARTON & YOAKUM (bad name)
Wharton, Colorado, Lavaca. 80K
Wharton, Hallettsville, Eagle Lake

Bastrop, La Grange, & Giddings.

La Grange is the site of the the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

Pharr-San Juan-Alamo?

Elsa-Edcouch

BROWNSVILLE NORTH & SAN BENITO (or & MOUTH OF RIO GRANDE or something like that if San Benito city is in Harlingen constituency or split)
South Padre Island

Crawford

Cedar Park
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2005, 06:35:31 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2005, 06:55:11 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

BEAUMONT SOUTH & TEXAS POINT
Remainder of both CCDs, remainder of Jefferson county (22K)
it would be Sabine Pass.   Couldn't this be in the Port Arthur seat?   There is nothing to the
SW of Port Arthur.
Texas Point is the Southeastern tip of Texas, that's obviously what it's named for. It's also a NWR. It's not a town. Sabine Pass is the town nearest to it. I don't think it's the largest place in rural Jefferson county, though (I'd have to check). It's certainly not the second largest place in the constituency, that's likely to be Nederland. If I go with a place name rather than a geographical term, that's what I'd go with. If you've never heard of Texas Point, it's probably not a good name. I just liked the sound of it, I reckon.
Oh, yes, and obviously the rural Beaumont areas could just as well be in the Port Arthur seat, or split between the Beaumont South and the Port Arthur seat. Depends on where you split the East Jefferson CCD.

I'll look over the other name suggestions, probably incorporate all of them.
What about Brazos County? And what about the Panhandle seats?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2005, 06:42:00 AM »

I don't think all three are really needed. Pharr & San Juan maybe.
Elsa-Edcouch[/quote] But they're right next to each other...and there's a considerable part of the population over on the other side of the county (although this side has more.)
Crawford[/quote] The highest pop. densities are just outside Waco. Is that Bush's Crawford? Hewitt & Crawford maybe.

Cedar Park
[/quote]The city of Round Rock would almost certainly be split between the two seats, and it's the largest in the county. Cedar Park & Round Rock West.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2005, 09:47:20 PM »

BEAUMONT SOUTH & TEXAS POINT
Remainder of both CCDs, remainder of Jefferson county (22K)
SW of Port Arthur.
Texas Point is the Southeastern tip of Texas, that's obviously what it's named for. It's also a NWR. It's not a town. Sabine Pass is the town nearest to it. I don't think it's the largest place in rural Jefferson county, though (I'd have to check). It's certainly not the second largest place in the constituency, that's likely to be Nederland. If I go with a place name rather than a geographical term, that's what I'd go with. If you've never heard of Texas Point, it's probably not a good name. I just liked the sound of it, I reckon.
It's not even the largest National Wildlife Reserve in the district Smiley

How about Spindletop?

What about Brazos County?

I'd drop Cameron, so one seat should have Bryan and the other College Station.  Or you could include
Texas A&M in the name (that is the college that the station is named for).  If you do that, you probably should
name one of the Austin seats after UT.  (Both schools are pretty close to 50,000).

If I were dividing the Panhandle and South Plains, I'd probably divide them NS rather than EW, separating the
areas above and below the Caprock.  The area above the Caprock is over the Ogallala Aquifer and crops are
grown.  The area below is ranch land.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2005, 09:55:21 PM »

I was going by the name of the school district, which is normally just listed as PSJA.

Elsa-Edcouch[/quote] But they're right next to each other...and there's a considerable part of the population over on the other side of the county (although this side has more.)[/quote]
Same here.

Crawford[/quote] The highest pop. densities are just outside Waco. Is that Bush's Crawford? Hewitt & Crawford maybe.
[/quote]
Yes.  I don't think any of the towns are significant enough.  I'd probably go with Waco and McLennan
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2005, 06:04:17 AM »

I'd drop Cameron, so one seat should have Bryan and the other College Station.
Yeah, but it extend pretty far from Bryan on the one side, but ends right on city limits (Inside city limits in one direction IIRC, actually). That's basically why I add second name components offen: to state the fact that it's not just an urban seat.
Difference being that it's not necessary in this case as you'll find College Station on the map, but it may be necessary in Austin (in which case I wouldn't call it "UT" though. "Austin UT" or, since that's a bit ugly as a name, "Austin University" - which sounds confusing seen like that, bt probably doesn't when there's several "Austin Generic Neighborhood" constituencies.)

What's the Caprock? Could you just do it maybe? That'd be nice.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2005, 12:43:15 PM »

Mississippi
(done on the quick)
2,843 mio
28 seats

DeSoto - 107K, 1
Harrison - 190K, 2
Hinds - 251K, 3
Jackson - 131K, 1+1
Rankin - 115K, 1

PICAYUNE - PEARL RIVER
Hancock, Pearl River. 92K
GULFPORT
Harrison County's Districts 3 and 4 (MS has the same thing as LA), and part of Gulfport in 2, 103K
BILOXI
Remainder. 87K
PASCAGOULA
Jackson County's Districts 2 to 5. 106K
CHICKASAWHAY RIVER
District 1; George, Stone, Perry, Greene, Wayne. 104K
HATTIESBURG
Forrest, Lamar. 112K
NATCHEZ
Claiborne, Jefferson, Franklin, Adams, Wilkinson, Amite. 88K
CRYSTAL SPRINGS, BROOKHAVEN & McCOMB
Copiah, Lincoln, Pike. 100K
COLUMBIA & (add second name here, MENDENHALL?)
Marion, Walthall, Lawrence, Jefferson Davis, Simpson. 115K
LAUREL
Covington, Jones, Smith. 100K
FOREST & PHILADELPHIA
Scott, Jasper, Newton, Neshoba, Winston. 117K
MERIDIAN
Clarke, Lauderdale, Kemper. 106K
RANKIN
Rankin. 115K
JACKSON NORTH
Hinds District 1, part of 2 inside city. 87K
JACKSON SOUTH
District 3, part of 5 inside city. 80K
JACKSON SOUTH WEST & CLINTON
District 4, remainder of 2 and 5. 84K
CANTON & MADISON
Madison, Leake. 96K
VICKSBURG & YAZOO CITY
Warren, Issaquena, Yazoo, Humphreys, Sharkey
GREENVILLE & BOLIVAR
Washington, Bolivar. 104K
GREENWOOD & INDIANOLA
Sunflower, Leflore, Carroll, Holmes. 104K
CLARKSDALE
Coahoma, Tunica, Quitman, Tallahatchie, Panola. 99K
DE SOTO
De Soto. 107K
OXFORD & HOLLY SPRINGS
Tate, Marshall, Lafayette. 99K
CORINTH & RIPLEY
Benton, Tippah, Alcorn, Tishomingo, Prentiss. 109K
TUPELO
Lee, Itawamba. 99K
NEW ALBANY & (feature from Southern part of district)
Union, Pontotoc, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Yalobusha. 99K
STARKVILLE & GRENADA
Oktibbeha, Clay, Choctaw, Webster, Montgomery, Grenada. 119K. I should check maybe whether I can divide these two North-South rather than East-West.
COLUMBUS
Lowndes, Monroe, Noxubee. 113K
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2005, 03:05:34 PM »

What's the Caprock? Could you just do it maybe? That'd be nice.
Caprock
Llano Estacado

It's pretty interesting from on top since it can be sensed but not seen.  Because the Llano is
so flat, the horizons fade away in ground haze.   But when you are 10 or so miles from the Caprock
it looks clearer because the ground drops away.

Another memorable moment was driving down off the Caprock into Post on a Friday afternoon (real
football is played on Friday night).  Outside of town a car caravan was forming, with the cars streamered
in the school colors.  I kept thinking of the valley people getting reading to attack the mountain
people.

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2005, 12:25:30 PM »

New Mexico.
1,819 Mio inhabitants.
18 seats.

Theoretical entitlements:
Bernalillo 557K - 6 seats. I ended up pairing this with Valencia (66K) however.
Dona Ana - 175K - 2 seats.
Sandoval - 90K. 1 seat.
San Juan - 114K. 1 seat.
Santa Fe - 129K. 1 seat & part of one.
Left me with 756K (or 690K after Valencia) for 6 seats and a (large) part of one.

I'm not comfy with a few of the pairings below, and if someone (yes, looking at you) can produce a better outline you're totally welcome to post it.

SHIPROCK & FARMINGTON
San Juan County. 114K.
GALLUP & ZUNI
McKinley & Cibola counties. 101K.
SANDOVAL
Sandoval County. 90K
SANTA FE
Santa Fe and Santa Fe South CCDs of Santa Fe County. 112K.
TAOS & LOS ALAMOS
Santa Fe North CCD; Los Alamos, Rio Arriba, and Taos counties. 106K
LAS VEGAS & TUCUMCARI
Colfax, Mora, San Miguel, Harding, Union, Quay, Guadalupe, Torrance, and DeBaca counties. 88K.
CLOVIS & HOBBS
Curry, Roosevelt, Lea counties. 119K
ROSWELL & CARLSBAD
Chaves, Eddy. 113K.
ALAMOGORDO & SOCORRO
Otero, Lincoln, and Socorro counties. 99K.
LAS CRUCES
Las Cruces CCD of Dona Ana County. 87K.
DONA ANA
Remainder of Dona Ana County. 88K.
SILVER CITY
Sierra, Catron, Grant, Luna, Hidalgo counties. 84K.
VALENCIA & ISLETA
Valencia County; Isleta Pueblo, Bernalillo East, Bernalillo West CCDs of Bernalillo County. 88K.
ALBUQUERQUE 1-5 (cardinal points)
Albuquerque CCD. 535K.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2005, 12:47:09 PM »

Cool. Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to: