Well, look what HE's doing to US now...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:03:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Well, look what HE's doing to US now...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Well, look what HE's doing to US now...  (Read 26437 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2005, 07:32:12 AM »

One thing that always struck me when I redistricted all of the US way back was that I just plain didn't like my seats to be this large.
So...I've started to redistrict the US into seats about the size of British or French constituencies (or for the state House of Hessen)...roughly 100,000 inhabitants.
Obviously this would make for an impractically large House of Reps, so don't tell me that. I already know. Smiley

Okay, some rules:
1. Each state is apportioned a number of seats based on its population divided by 100,000, rounded up or down. This number will not be deviated from under any circumstances. No seat will straddle two states under any circumstances.
2. This is then distributed to the counties. Each county is apportioned (etc to) down. However, seats will not be allowed to deviate by more than 20% from 100,000 except in special circumstances. (I decide what a special circumstance is. There won't be many. There might not be any.)
As a result of this rule, any county of 80,000-120,000 inhabitants is awarded one seat. Any county of 160,000-240,000 inhabitants is awarded two seats. (Any county of 250,000-350,000 inhabitants is awarded three seats and so forth after that.)
3. Smaller counties will be grouped together to create the remaining districts.
4. A county of 120,000-160,000 inhabitants will be granted one whole seat that will only include part of the county. The remainder of the county will be paired with smaller counties.
Similarly, a county of 240,000-250,000 inhabitants will be granted two whole seats plus a remainder.
5. If challenging geography requires it, minor deviations from all rules but rule 1 are allowable.
6. If a county is to be split, I'll line out which townships/Census Bureau subdivisions/whatever go into which district. In the larger counties, these things will be awarded seats just like counties are, except I'll be somewhat more lenient with the rules.
7. I won't carve up large subdivisions into detailed seats, although I may sometimes provide a rough outline of what seats might look like.
8. I'll try and produce fancy names for the seats, rather along the lines of the British ones. These go by their own subset of rules:
a. Place, river and mountain names, but mostly place names. The disgusting and Australian habit of naming seats after people will be frowned upon.
b. Names composed of one to three parts, plus cardinal points where necessary.
c. County and County subdivision names used only when they are reasonably uncommon (this is to avoid having two dozen Jefferson constituencies)
However, I'll probably leave quite a lot of these blank - especially in the cities, where I won't actually have lined out where the seats are exactly.
Plus I'll sometimes give alternative suggestions.
9. Because I've usually always worked my way through the US East to West, I'll begin on the Pacific this time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:52:15 AM »

HAWAII
1,211 mio inhabitants
12 seats

Honolulu County - 876K inhabitants
9 seats
Hawaii County - 149K inhabitants
1+1 seats
Maui County - 128K inhabitants
1+1 seats.

As that leaves no representation to Kauai (58K) and Kalawao (basically 0) counties, Kauai will share one of the Honolulu county seats while Kalawao will share the Maui seat. Hawaii and Maui will share a seat.

In Honolulu County, Honolulu CCD (372K) is entitled to 4 seats, Ewa CCD (272K) to 3 seats and Koolaupoko CCD (118K) to 1 seat. Since this leaves a horribly oversized (171K) North Oahu-Kauai seat, I have decided that Honolulu and Ewa will have 3 and 2 whole seats respectively, and share a sixth.

Seats:
HILO
Hawaii County CCD's of Hilo, Keaau - Mountain View, North Hilo, Pahoa - Kalapana, Papaikau - Wailea, and Kau. Population 87K.
HAWAII WEST (or: KONA) - MAUI (NORTH) EAST
Remaining Hawaii County CCDs; Maui County CCD's of Hailu - Pauela, Hana, Makewao - Paia. Hope I spelled these right. Population 91K.
MAUI WEST (& MOLOKAI)
Remaining Maui County CCDs; Kalawao County. Population 100K.
HONOLULU 1-3
No details available, but likely to be arranged east to west.
EWA 1 & 2
No details available, but one seat on the Northern & Western shores of Pearl Harbor (perhaps named Pearl Harbor) and one seat combining the center of the island around Mililani Town with the areas immediately northeast of Pearl Harbor appears likely.
HONOLULU / EWA
No details available, but would obviously include the (north?-)westernmost part of Honolulu and southeastern Ewa around Aiea, and might well be named Aiea.
KOOLAUPOKO
CCD of that name (island's Eastern coast.) Population 118K.
OAHU NORTH WEST
Waianae, Waialua and Wahiawa CCDs. Population 94K.
KAUAI & KOOLAULOA
Koolauloa CCD; Kauai County. Population 77K.
I have not been able to split the area into two districts of over 80K population without splitting a CCD. Given that this seat is already disadvantaged due to the large distance betwwn its Oahu part and Kauai, I have decided to let it be.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 07:59:52 AM »

ALASKA
627K inhabitants
6 seats

Anchorage Municipality - 260K inhabitants
3 seats
Fairbanks North Star Borough - 83K inhabitants
1 seat

As that leaves the remainder of the state with 284K inhabitants and just 2 seats, I have grouped Kenai Peninsula Borough (50K) with Anchorage. (I tried Matanuska-Susitna Borough with 60K at first, but it made for a very ugly split between the two vast rural constituencies.)

ANCHORAGE WEST (or NORTH)
ANCHORAGE EAST (or SOUTH)
KENAI PENINSULA & ANCHORAGE SOUTH (or EAST)
no details available
FAIRBANKS
Fairbanks North Star Borough, 83K
PANHANDLE & ALASKA SOUTH (or some such name)
Bristol Bay, Aleutians East, Lake & Peninsula, Kodiak Island, Yakutat boroughs, Aleutians West, Valdez-Cordova, Southeast Fairbanks census areas, and all boroughs and census areas south of Yakutat. 115K inhabitants.
ALASKA NORTH (or maybe something more colourful...BERING STRAIT perhaps?)
All other boroughs and census areas. 120K inhabitants (half of them in Mat-Su, and most of the rest Inuit from the West coast...should make for interesting elections Smiley )
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 08:22:38 AM »

I likes this idea
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 08:37:43 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2005, 03:03:43 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

now for the first real test...
WASHINGTON
5,894 mio inhabitants
59 seats

Whatcom - 167K inhabitants
2 seats
Skagit - 103K inhabitants
1 seat
Snohomish - 606K inhabitants
6 seats
King - 1737K inhabitants
18 seats, for reasons I'll make clear in a minute
Kitsap - 231K inhabitants
2 seats
Pierce - 701K inhabitants
7 seats
Thurston - 207K inhabitants
2 seats
Clark - 345K inhabitants
3 seats
Cowlitz - 93K inhabitants
1 seat
Yakima - 223K inhabitants
2 seats
Benton - 142K inhabitants
1+1 seat
Spokane - 417K inhabitants
4 seats

Due to unfortunate rounding, that leaves just 922K inhabitants but 10+1 seats, in areas that, for the most part, are not fast growing. Moreover, the distribution of the population in King County was such that I had to distribute 9 seats to Seattle CCD (897K) and 5 seats to East Seattle CCD (480K) and was left with three seats for 360K people in for the most part very fast growing regions. Therefore I gave that extra seat mentioned above to (outer) King County, and just 9+1 seats to rural Washington.

JUAN DE FUCA
San Juan, Island counties. 85K inhabitants
OLYMPIC PENINSULA
Clallam, Jefferson counties. 91K inhabitants
GRAYS HARBOR (& HOOD CANAL)
Grays Harbor, Mason counties. 117K inhabitants
BREMERTON & PORT ORCHARD
Port Orchard CCD (61K) and part of Bremerton CCD (102K) mostly centered on the city of Bremerton (37K) which is situated in the southern part of Bremerton CCD.
KITSAP NORTH
Remainder of Kitsap County.
BELLINGHAM
Bellingham CCD (92K), minus the Sudden Valley area
WHATCOM
Remainder of Whatcom County. 74K inhabitants, plus at least 6,000 people from the Sudden Valley area
SKAGIT
Skagit County. 103K inhabitants
MARYSVILLE & STANWOOD (or SNOHOMISH NORTH WEST)
Stanwood, Tulalip, Marysville, Arlington CCDs of Snohomish County. 115K inhabitants
SNOHOMISH (EAST)
Darrington, Granite Falls, Skykomish, Monroe, Lake Stevens, Snohomish CCDs. 100K inhabitants
EVERETT
City of Everett (88K) and probably some areas that would otherwise be noncoterminous with the next district
MALTBY & PAINE FIELD (or MALTBY & LAKE STICKNEY)
Remainder of Everett CCD (total pop: 146K) and Maltby CCD (37K)
EDMONDS; LYNNWOOD
(two seats) Edmonds CCD. 207K inhabitants
SEATTLE 1-9
Yeah, well, nine seats
EAST SEATTLE 1-5
Yeah, well, five more seats. Names probably won't include any reference to Seattle. Bellevue, Redmond, Renton and Kirkland come to mind as possible names.
FEDERAL WAY & VASHON ISLAND
Vashon Island CCD; City of Federal Way (from Auburn CCD), 83K inhabitants, probably some areas otherwise noncoterminous with the next district. 93K inhabitants +x
AUBURN & ENUMCLAW SOUTH (perhaps)
Remainder of Auburn CCD (73K -x), part of Enumclaw Plateau CCD (54K)
TAHOMA & ENUMCLAW NORTH (perhaps)
Tahoma-Maple Valley CCD (53K); remainder of Enumclaw Plateau CCD
ISSAQUAH PLATEAU & SNOQUALMIE VALLEY
CCD's of said names. 87K inhabitants
TACOMA 1-4
Tacoma CCD. No details available, although two seats would include the city (190K or something) and some inner suburbs to the northeast (and likely be named Tacoma West and Tacoma East or Tacoma North and Tacoma South), while two seats would include the Southern suburbs (and not be named Tacoma). Population 399K
PUYALLUP
Most of Puyallup CCD (123K inhabitants)
MOUNT RAINIER
Buckley, Eatonville, Graham-Thrift, Mount Rainier CCDs, remainder of Puyallup CCD. 84K inhabitants without Puyallup
GIG HARBOR & FORT LEWIS
Gig Harbor Peninsula, Lower Peninsula, Fort Lewis - DuPont, and Roy CCDs. 96K inhabitants
OLYMPIA
Part of Olympia CCD (137K) including all of the city (just 43K)
NISQUALLY
Remainder of Thurston County. Named after river.
CHEHALIS & WILLAPA BAY
Lewis, Pacific and Wahkiakum counties. 98K inhabitants
COWLITZ (or LONGVIEW. The Cowlitz River is mostly in Lewis County.)
Cowlitz County. 93K inhabitants
VANCOUVER WEST
Part of Vancouver CCD (191K inhabitants) in Clark County
VANCOUVER EAST - ORCHARDS
Remainder of Vancouver CCD; Orchards CCD (53K inhabitants)
244K inhabitants together. Slightly above 120K inhabitants per seat. Alternatives include much uglier looking districts or splitting Orchards CCD. I'd prefer the latter.
BATTLE GROUND & CAMAS
Remainder of Clark County. 101K (plus any part of Orchards CCD added)
RICHLAND & KENNEWICK
Most of the Richland-Kennewick CCD (pop: 124K) of Benton County, including all of the two cities (combined population 94K). Total population should be in excess of 100K.
PASCO & COLUMBIA GORGE
Skamania, Klickitat, Franklin Counties. Remainder of Benton County. 220K inhabitants in the two seats.
YAKIMA
Most of Yakima CCD (129K)
SUNNYSIDE & LOST HORSE
Remainder of Yakima County. 94K plus whatever is added from Yakima CCD.
WALLA WALLA & LOWER SNAKE
Walla Walla, Columbia, Garfield, Asotin Counties. 82K
MIDDLE COLUMBIA & MOSES LAKE
Grant, Douglas Counties. 108K
ELLENSBURG, WENATCHEE & LAKE CHELAN (or leave out either Wenatchee or Lake Chelan)
Kittitas, Chelan Countis. 100K
PALOUSE- LAKE ROOSEVELT was the best I could do
Whitman, Adams, Lincoln Counties; Spokane Reservation, Loon Lake, Columbia and Springdale CCDs of Stevens County. 84K
GRAND COULEE DAM
Okanogan, Ferry, Pend Oreille Counties; Kettle Falls, Colville, Chenelah (hope I spelt that right) CCDs of Stevens County. 82K
SPOKANE 1-3
Spokane CCD of Spokane County. No details available. 322K together (inc. 195K inside city limits)
CHENEY & MOUNT SPOKANE
Remaining CCDs of Spokane County. 95K inhabitants
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 08:45:26 AM »

That's good to hear. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 09:16:45 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2005, 03:07:19 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

OREGON
3,421 Mio inhabitants
34 seats

Multnomah 660K
7 seats
Washington 445K
4 seats
Clackamas 338K
3 seats
Had the Census been held just a year later, Washington would have 5 seats, Clackamas might have 4 and Multnomah might have only 6...tough luck for the suburbs in this case.
Marion 285K
3 seats
Linn 103K
1 seat
Yamhill 85K
1 seat
Lane 322K
3 seats
Douglas 100K
1 seat (actually, 1+1, for reasons that will be made clear)
Jackson 181K
2 seats
Deschutes 115K
1 seat

That leaves 786K and 8 seats. Interestingly the remaining counties are split into three noncoterminous regions...NW: 288K, 3 seats. SW: 160K, 2 seats. East: 338K, 3 seats.
A problem arose in the SW which led to me distributing part of Douglas County to one of these seats.

ASTORIA
Clatsop, Columbia and Tillamook Counties. 104K
PORTLAND 1-5 (cardinal points)
GRESHAM
MULTNOMAH EAST
Multnomah County. Details not available. Except for two mini CCD's (Skyline and Corbett) at the county's outer ends, all of it is in Portland CCD. 526K are within Portland city limits. The city of Gresham has 90K inhabitants and would likely get its own seat.
BEAVERTON
HILLSBORO
TIGARD (probably)
Beaverton-Hillsboro CCD of Washington County. 340K. Seats tentatively named after largest towns of 67K, 61K and 41K.
CHEHALEM
Remaining CCD's of Washington County. 105K
CLACKAMAS 1 & 2
Northwest Clackamas CCD of Clackamas County. No really dominant town. 224K. The County Town is here and is called Oregon City. I might use that name.
MOLALLA & MOUNT HOOD
Remaining CCD's of Clackamas County. 114K
YAMHILL
Yamhill County. 85K
SALEM NORTH
SALEM SOUTH
Salem CCD of Marion County. 204K, of which 119K within city limits. The city of Salem is split between Marion and Polk Counties.
WOODBURN & SILVERTON
Remaining CCD's of Marion County. 81 K
SALEM WEST & SILETZ
Polk County; All of Lincoln County except Waldport and Eddysville CCD's. 98K
CORVALLIS & WALDPORT
Benton County; Waldport and Eddysville CCD's of Lincoln County. 86K
SANTIAM RIVER
Linn County. 103K
EUGENE WEST
Part of city of Eugene (138K), plus any enclaves within it
EUGENE EAST & SPRINGFIELD
Remainder of Eugene - Springfield CCD (pop of 230K)
SIUSLAW & UPPER WILLAMETTE
Remainder of Lane County. 93K. Totally surrounds the two Eugene constituencies.
ROSEBURG & REEDSPORT
Douglas County except North Umpqua and South Umpqua CCD's (that's pretty exactly half the area of Douglas County, actually, but very thinly inhabited) 91K
COOS BAY & CURRY
Coos and Curry counties. 84 K
GRANTS PASS & UMPQUA
Josephine County (which has 76K and couldn't be combined with anything, hence the split of Douglas County); Douglas County's North Umpqua and South Umpqua CCD's. 85K
MEDFORD
Most of Medford CCD of Jackson County (112K) including all of the city (63K) of same name.
ASHLAND & UPPER ROGUE
Remainder of Jackson County (pop: 181K)
BEND
Deschutes County (115K)
KLAMATH & MALHEUR
Klamath, Lake, Harvey, Malheur Counties. 111K.
PENDLETON
Morrow, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa. 114K.
JOHN DAY RIVER & THE DALLES. Best I could do.
All the remainder - Baker, Grant, Crook, Jefferson, Hood River, Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam and Wheeler in a vast townless district (except for some holidaying exurbs in Hood River in the district's far NW corner) of 113K.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 10:59:28 AM »

CALIFORNIA
General outline only for today.
33,872 Mio. 339 seats. (Hey - if California ever declared her independence this could well be her parliament's size.)

According to the rules...
Humboldt 1+1
Mendocino 1
Sonoma 5
Marin 2+1
Napa 1+1
Solano 4
Yolo 2
Sacramento 12
Shasta 2
Butte 2
Nevada 1
Placer 2+1
El Dorado 1+1
San Francisco 8
San Mateo 7
Santa Clara 17
Santa Cruz 3
Contra Costa 9
Alameda 14
San Joaquin 6
Stanislaus 4
Merced 2
Madera 1+1
Fresno 8
Kings 1+1
Tulare 4
Kern 7
Monterey 4
San Luis Obispo 2+1
Santa Barbara 4
Ventura 8
Los Angeles 95 (yes)
Orange 28
San Bernardino 17
Riverside 15
Imperial 1+1
San Diego 28
...or 329 plus parts of 9, leaving one and parts of 9 to the 21 remaining counties (with a population of 684,000). Oh, and many of these parts are nowhere near minor counties.

Anyways, this is the final list. Every group of counties is of the right size for its number of seats.
Humboldt, Trinity, Del Norte 2
Mendocino 1
Sonoma, Marin 7
Napa, Lake 2
Solano 4
Yolo 2
Sacramento 12
Siskiyou, Modoc, Lassen, Plumas 1
Shasta 2
Butte 2
Tehama, Glenn 1
Sutter, Colusa 1
Nevada, Sierra 1
Placer, Yuba 3
El Dorado, Amador 2
Calaveras, Tuolumne 1
San Francisco 8
San Mateo 7
Santa Clara 17
Santa Cruz 3
Contra Costa 9
Alameda 14
San Joaquin 6
Stanislaus 4
Merced 2
Madera, Mariposa, Mono, Alpine, Inyo (ugly that last one, but needed to cross 160,000 people) 2
Fresno 8
Kings, Tulare 5
Kern 7
Monterey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo 7
Santa Barbara 4
Ventura 8
Los Angeles 95
Orange 28
San Bernardino 17
Riverside, Imperial 17
San Diego 28
Except that that's one seat too many. I will therefore distribute only 94 seats to Los Angeles County, pushing the average population of an LA County seat from 100,200 to 101,300.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 11:13:44 AM »

The population of 100,000 is very close to the size of a representative seat in the IL General Assembly. States are more akin to European countries in size. So, the size of these districts doesn't match well for the US as a whole.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 01:13:08 PM »

Very interesting Lewis. Smiley But where's the maps?! Angry
Lt. Gov. Immy
Immy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 02:37:15 PM »

Very interesting Lewis. Smiley But where's the maps?! Angry

Yes, and where is Idaho? Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 02:38:41 AM »

Muon: See the first post. Just before the smilie. Smiley
Immy: Coming soon.
WMS: Your job. Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 03:07:38 AM »

Updated Oregon and Washington constituency names.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 07:08:44 AM »

This message exceeds the maximum allowed length, and shall be split.
CALIFORNIA
Still very vague in urban areas.
33,872 Mio. 339 seats.

EUREKA (or HUMBOLDT BAY)
Eureka, North Coastal and most of Arcata CCDs. Arcata CCD's population is mostly right by Eureka, but the CCD stretches up some valley to the county line. Population 89K minus whatever is chopped off Arcata
CRESCENT CITY, TRINITY & EEL RIVER
Remainder of Humboldt County, Trinity County, Del Norte County. Population 78K plus what's gained in Arcata.
MENDOCINO
County of same name. 86K.
SANTA ROSA EAST (or NORTH)
SANTA ROSA WEST (or SOUTH)
Santa Rosa CCD of Sonoma County. 190K together.
PETALUMA EAST & SONOMA
Sonoma CCD, part of Petaluma CCD
PETALUMA WEST & SEBASTOPOL
Sebastopol CCD, remainder of Petaluma CCD. 189K together.
RUSSIAN RIVER & POINT REYES
Remainder of Sonoma County; Northwest Marin and Southwest Marin CCDs, and a bit part of Northeast Marin CCD. 91K plus said bit part.
SAN RAFAEL & NOVATO
San Rafael CCD, remainder of Northeast Marin CCD. 124K minus said bit part.
SAUSALITO & ROSS VALLEY
Southeast Marin and Ross Valley CCDs. 112K.
NAPA
Napa CCD of Napa County. 102K
CLEAR LAKE
Remainder of Napa County. Lake County. 80K
VACAVILLE
Vacaville CCD of Solano County. 96K
FAIRFIELD
Just the city (and perhaps anything enclosed by it, didn't see anything though) 96K
VALLEJO
City of Vallejo, unincorporated area to the west of it. 117K plus that unincorporated area. This might be over 120K, but I think it's better than splitting the city.
GRIZZLY BAY
Remainder of Fairfield-Suisun City and Vallejo CCDs, all of Dixon and Rio Vista CCDs, ie: remainder of Solano County. 88K minus that incorporated area in Fairfield constituency.

Yolo 2. Darn it. I knew I'd forget something. Will get back to you on this one.

FOLSOM
Folsom CCD of Sacramento County (pop:52K). Part of Sacramento CCD (960K)
SACRAMENTO 1-9
Remainder of Sacramento CCD. Delta CCD (5K).
MATHER
Mather CCD. 97K.
ELK GROVE - GALT
Elk Grove, Galt and Sloughhouse CCDs. 110K.
YREKA - SUSANVILLE
Siskiyou, Modoc, Lassen, Plumas counties.99K.
REDDING
City of Redding. 81K. Plus any enclaves.
SHASTA
Remainder of Shasta County. 82K. Minus any enclaves.
CHICO
Chico, Durham, Biggs and Gridley CCDs of Butte County. 109K.
OROVILLE & PARADISE
Oroville, Paradise, Palermo and Feather Falls CCDs of Butte County. 94K. This represents a pretty even East-West split of Butte County. Along a river, too. Wisht all counties were like that.
TEHAMA - GLENN.
I guess Glenn is just about stomachable in the combination of names. Counties of said names. 82K.
SUTTER - COLUSA
Counties of said names. 98K.
SIERRA NEVADA
Counties of said names. Couldn't resist the constituency name. 96K.
YUBA - WEST VALLEY (obviously that name can't be allowed to stand. Open to suggestions)
Yuba County; West Valley CCD of Placer County. 82K
ROSEVILLE
Roseville CCD of Placer County. 81K
AUBURN & NORTH LAKE TAHOE
Lake Tahoe, Foresthill - Back Country, Colfax - Summit, and Auburn CCDs. 78K.
And, in case you were wondering: Loomis Basin - Folsom Lake CCD (67K) will have to be split up between the three.
PLACERVILLE & SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
Placerville, North El Dorado, South Lake Tahoe CCDs. And probably (eastern) part of South El Dorado CCD, the western part of which is Sacramento outer suburbs. 78K plus whatever's added.
SOUTH EL DORADO - AMADOR
South El Dorado CCD (or most of it). Amador County. 113K minus x.
CALAVERAS - TUOLUMNE
Counties of said name. 96K.
SAN FRANCISCO 1-8
Yeah, well, eight seats.
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO 1-3
The Daly City, Oceanside etc area of San Mateo County.
SAN MATEO 1-4
San Mateo CCD stretches from Hillsborough on south. South Coastside CCD (29K) around Half Moon Bay will for population balance reasons be included in one of these seats.
SANTA CLARA 1-17
Santa Clara County includes a big, heavily populated basin with coastal strip attached in the NW. And Mountains around on three sides. The Census Bureau's CCDs are nothing less than helpful here. San Jose CCD is entitled to 16 seats. All the others together are not entitled to a single seat. Obviously I could have done better than not doing anything at all. Obviously others who actually know the area could do much better than me.
SANTA CRUZ
WATSONVILLE
MONTEREY BAY NORTH
Santa Cruz County. 255K, so these should be about 85K each. Santa Cruz CCD is 151K, although the city is just 40-odd K. Watsonville CCD is 72K, so some outer Santa Cruz territory should be added. Seaside and San Lorenzo Valley CCDs in the northern part of the county are just 33K and will be combined with outer parts of Santa Cruz CCD in the Monterey Bay North seat.
WEST CONTRA COSTA 1 & 2.
The Richmond area. 236K
CENTRAL CONTRA COSTA 1-5
The Livermore Valley area (as far as it's not in Alameda County). 459K. Mountainous Briones (6K, to the West) and Tassajara (27K, to the Southeast) CCDs should be included in Central seats.
ANTIOCH - PITTSBURG - CONTRA COSTA EAST 1 & 2
Antioch - Pittsburg and East Contra Costa CCDs. 221K. Basically one seat is in Antioch-Pittsburg and the other is mostly in East Contra Costa but has a considerable portion of eastern Antioch-Pittsburg as welll.
BERKELEY
City and CCD of Berkely. 119K
OAKLAND 1-4; ALAMEDA
Oakland CCD has 417K (the city has 399K). Alameda City & CCD has 72K and is totally surrounded by Oakland and water. 5 seats with 489 K together.
FREMONT 1-3
Fremont CCD. 311K together
HAYWARD 1-3
LIVERMORE
PLEASANTON
Hayward CCD has 351K. Livermore-Pleasanton CCD has 172K. I had to combine them to stay at 14 seats, thence one seat will cross the boundary.
STOCKTON 1-3
Stockton CCD of San Joaquin County. 307K. The city has 242K.
LODI
Lodi, Thornton, and Lockeford CCDs. 87K
TRACY
Tracy CCD. 70K. Plus part of Manteca CCD, 71K, staying as clear of the city as possible.
MANTECA & ESCALON
Remainder of Manteca CCD. Ripon, Linden-Farmington, and Escalon CCDs. Population of these last three:29K. Population of the two constituencies: 170K.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 07:10:08 AM »

MODESTO NORTH
MODESTO SOUTH
STANISLAUS EAST
Modesto CCD (282K). And Oakdale, Waterford, and Hughson CCDs, 47K, which will be in the Stanislaus East seat, together with part of Modesto CCD (but as little as possible of the city proper. The city has 186K inhabitants, but there's quite a few other areas that will probably have to go into Modesto N or Modesto S.)
TURLOCK
Remainder of Stanislaus County. 118K.
MERCED & LOS BANOS (or MERCED SOUTH)
Merced, Dos Palos, and Los Banos CCDs. 119 K.
ATWATER (or MERCED NORTH)
Remainder of Merced County. 92K.
YOSEMITE & DEATH VALLEY
Mariposa, Alpine, Mono and Inyo Counties. Oakburst-North Fork CCD of Madera County. Just 75K. Given the constituency's vast size and nonexistent road linkage (you'll have to drive through Tuolumne), noone can complain.
MADERA
Remainder of Madera County. 97K.
FRESNO 1-6
Fresno CCD. 570K.
SELMA & KERMAN
Firebaugh, Mendota, San Joaquin - Tranquility, Coalinga, Huron, Kerman, Caruthers - Raisin City, Riverdale, Laton, Selma CCDs. 115K. Western part of county.
REEDLEY & SANGER
Remainder of Fresno County. 114K. Eastern part of county.
HANFORD & AVENAL
Kings County except for Corcoran CCD. 112K.
VISALIA
Tulare County CCD of said name. 105K.
TULARE & CORCORAN
Corcoran CCD of Kings County. Tulare, Tipton, Pridley and Earlimart CCDs of Tulare County. 91K.
PORTERVILLE
Porterville, Terra Bella, Lindsay and Strathmore CCDs. 90K.
EXETER - THREE RIVERS
Remainder of Tulare County. 93K.
BAKERSFIELD 1-4.
Bakersfield, Arvin - Lamont, and Greenfield - Panama CCDs of Kern County. 387K
ROSEDALE - KERN RIVER
Rosedale, Wasco, Buttonwillow, and Westside CCDs. 91K
DELANO - SHAFTER
McFarland - Delano, Lake Isabella, and Shafter CCDs. 86K.
TEHACHAPI - EAST KERN
CCDs of said name (ie, remainder of county). 98K.
MONTEREY
Seaside-Monterey CCD. 113K. Seaside is such a generic name. Everybody knows where Monterey is.
SALINAS NORTH & CASTROVILLE
SALINAS SOUTH
198K. Salinas CCD has 163K. IIRC there were two small CCDs to the north of Salinas that I added, but I didn't put down the name of the other one.
SAN BENITO & SOLEDAD
San Benito County. Gonzales, Toro, Soledad & Greenfield CCDs of Monterey County. "Of Mice and Men" set here. 101K.
PASO ROBLES - CARMEL VALLEY
Remainder of Monterey County. Paso Robles CCD of San Luis Obispo County. 81K.
SAN LUIS OBISPO (& ATASCADERO, if that isn't too big a mouthful)
San Luis Obispo CCD minus small coastal strip, Atascadero CCD. 101K minus x.
ARROYO GRANDE & MORRO BAY.
Arroyo Grande and North Coast CCDs. 106K plus x.
SANTA MARIA VALLEY
Santa Barbara County CCD of that name. 111K.
LOMPOC
All of Santa Barbara County except Santa Maria Valley, Santa Barbara and Carpinteria Valley CCDs. 87K.
SANTA BARBARA WEST & GOLETA
SANTA BARBARA EAST & CARPINTERIA
201K together. At first I thought of a district based on Santa Barbara city (which will now be split; 92K) and a Goleta-Carpinteria district, but that would be purely nominally coterminous.
VENTURA
Ventura CCD. 106K.
OXNARD EAST
OXNARD WEST
208K together.
SIMI VALLEY & THOUSAND OAKS 1-3.
Simi Valley CCD, 116K. Thousand Oaks CCD, 149K. And Triunfo Pass - Coastal CCD, 2K.
CAMARILLO
Camarillo, Moorpark, and Las Posas CCDs. 94K
SANTA PAULA - LOS PADRES
Remainder (north) of Ventura County. 81K.
LA County...the following CCD's, in alphabetical order.
BURBANK. 1 seat.
CALABASAS. 1 seat.
COMPTON. 3 seats. Likely to be named Compton, Carson, and Lynwood.
DOWNEY - NORWALK. 4 seats.
EAST SAN GABRIEL VALLEY. 9 seats. This is the Pomona, West Covina etc area.
GLENDALE. 2 seats.
INGLEWOOD. 4 seats. Also includes Hawthorne, Gardena.
LONG BEACH - LAKEWOOD. 6 seats.
LOS ANGELES. Theoretically entitled to 39 seats, but see below. The city and all the enclaves too small to be chopped off, basically - such as those of the Hollywood area, except Santa Monica. Some tiny specks of the city are elsewhere. This area still spans from BelAir to San Pedro, though.
NEWHALL. 2 seats. Main town is Santa Clarita.
NORTH ANTELOPE VALLEY. Entitled to 1+1 seat. Solved by pairing with SOUTH ANTELOPE VALLEY, also entitled to 1+1 seat, making three seats. Probably urban seats based on Lancaster (in North) and Palmdale (in South) and a large rural remnant, probably named Antelope Valley.
PALOS VERDES. 1 seat.
PASADENA. Entitled to 2+1 seat.Couldn't be paired with any of its other neighbors, thence paired with Los Angeles to create an area entitled to 41 seats.
SOUTH BAY CITIES. Entitled to 1+1 seat. White, mixed-voting area around Redondo Beach. Solved by pairing with TORRANCE, also entitled to 1+1 seat, making three seats. That won't please them. Grin
SANTA MONICA. 1 seat.
SOUTHEAST. Quintessential East LA, this. 5 seats.
SOUTHWEST SAN GABRIEL VALLEY. 3 seats. Alhambra, Monterey Park etc.
UPPER SAN GABRIEL VALLEY. 3 seats. El Monte etc.
WHITTIER. 3 seats. East LA beyond East LA. Becoming more similar to East LA hourly. Richard Nixon once represented the area.
And because that's still 95 seats (see above), LA/Pasadena will only get 40 seats. The average size will still be just 102,500.
ANAHEIM - SANTA ANA - GARDENGROVE 1-16.
See San Jose.
NORTH COAST 1-4
Area around Huntington Beach etc.
NEWPORT BEACH
COSTA MESA
These two seats make up the Central Coast CCD.
SOUTHERN PART OF COUNTY 1-6.
El Toro, Trabuco and South Coast CCDs. Entitled to 7 CCDs individually, but 6 when taken together. There would be an El Toro (Irvine) seat, a Trabuco (Mission Viejo) seat, two South Coast seats (names to be determined), and two holdover seats combining parts of at least two of the CCDs each.
ONTARIO 1-5
SAN BERNARDINO 1-7.
San Bernardino County CCD's of these names. As you can see, I got bored.
YUCAIPA - ARROWHEAD
Yucaipa, Big Bear, Arrowhead and Mount Baldy - Wrightwood CCDs. 98K
HESPERIA
Hesperia city, part of Apple Valley city.
VICTORVILLE
Victorville city, Adelanto city, remainder of Apple Valley city. 199K together.
BARSTOW
Remainder of Barstow-Victorville CCD. Quite vast. 86K.
TWENTYNINE PALMS - MOHAVE DESERT
Very vast remainder of San Bernardino County. 89K.
JURUPA.
Riverside County CCD of that name (as are the next 15 seats). 85K
CORONA NORTH
CORONA SOUTH - NORCO
169K together.
ELSINORE VALLEY - LAKE MATHEWS
87K. Two CCDs.
3 MURRIETA and PARRIS VALLEY seats. 291K together.
4 RIVERSIDE seats, one of them also including the SAN GORGONIO PASS area. 442K together.
HEMET - SAN JACINTO
115K. One CCD.
CATHEDRAL CITY
Part of Cathedral City - Palm Desert CCD (121K)
PALM SPRINGS
Remainder, plus Palm Springs and Idyllwild CCDs. 176K together.
COACHELLA VALLEY
119K.
SALTON SEA
Desert Hot Springs, Chuckwalla and Palo Verde CCDs of Riverside County. Four CCDs of Imperial County that I didn't write down the names for (though one was simply called East Imperial and another West Imperial). 109K together.
IMPERIAL VALLEY
Brawley, Imperial, El Centro, Holtville, and Calexico CCDs of Imperial County. 118K
OCEANSIDE - ESCONDIDO. 6 seats. Oceanside - Escondido CCD has 555K. I had to add Pendleton and Fallbrook CCDs though, pushing the total to 635K. Oceanside, Escondido, Vista, San Marcos, and Pendleton might make 5 of the 6 constituency names. Or 6...Oceanside or Escondido getting an East and a West constituency.
SAN DIEGO. 21 seats for this CCD. Includes most suburbs as well.
RAMONA (stand-in name, after largest town. Should be replaced by a geographical term, though.)
All the remaining, eastern San Diego County, CCDs. 100K.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 09:07:09 AM »

Okay, IDAHO.
1,294 Mio inhabitants. 13 seats.

Ada County, 301K inhabitants, 3 seats.
Canyon County, 131K inhabitants, 1 seat and part of 1. Has been paired with Payette, Owyhee and Elmore Counties.
Kootenai County, 109K inhabitants, 1 seat.
Bonneville County, 83K inhabitants, 1 seat.
Remainder of the state to make six seats.

KOOTENAI (or, COEUR D'ALENE)
Kootenai County. 109K.
MOSCOW & BOUNDARY (or something like that)
Boundary, Bonner, Shoshone, Benewah and Latah Counties. 105K.
NEZ PERCE & HELLS CANYON
Nez Perce, Lewis, Clearwater, Idaho, Valley, Adams, Washington, Gem, Boise. 109K.
NAMPA - CALDWELL
Nampa & Kramer CCDs of Canyon County. 105K.
OWYHEE & (add something here)
Remainder of Canyon County; Payette, Owyhee, Elmore. 87K
BOISE WEST
BOISE EAST
City of Boise, perhaps some enclaves. 186K+x together.
ADA
Remainder of Ada County, 115K -x.
TWIN FALLS
Twin Falls, Cassia, Jerome. 103K
IDAHO CENTRAL
Power, Minidoka, Lincoln, Camas, Blaine, Gooding, Custer, Lemhi, Butte, Clarke. 90K
IDAHO FALLS
Bonneville County. 83K
(still looking for name)
Bingham, Jefferson, Madison, Fremont, Teton. 106K.
POCATELLO
Bannock, Caribou, Franklin, Bear Lake, Oneida. 104K.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 01:29:57 PM »

Yeah, I'll get to those...in 2006... Tongue
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 01:48:30 PM »

My point was that your exercise might be more useful if assigned to the state legislatures, rather than to the federal government. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 07:33:54 AM »

My point was that your exercise might be more useful if assigned to the state legislatures, rather than to the federal government. Smiley
...in the large states. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 08:10:37 AM »

Okay, IDAHO.
IDAHO FALLS
Bonneville County. 83K
(still looking for name)
Bingham, Jefferson, Madison, Fremont, Teton. 106K.
I've looked these over on a map again and they're unacceptable. I'll have to split Bonneville, pairing the larger part (likely around the city of Idaho Falls) with Bingham County (42K) and the remainder with the counties to the north.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 08:24:16 AM »

Yolo County and NE Idaho (mopping up as you might say)

Yolo County:
DAVIS
Davis, Winters, Esparto and Knights Landing CCDs. 85K.
WOODLAND & WEST SACRAMENTO
Woodland, East Yolo and Clarksburg CCDs. 85K.
Districts are somewhat Yin and Yang shaped, to prevent splitting any of the county's three urban areas.

NE Idaho:
Idaho Falls CCD has 75K of Bonneville County's 82K inhabitants. I'll have to split the area. (52K are within the city itself, which is situated pretty much at the center of the CCD and will probably have to be split as well.)
IDAHO FALLS SOUTH & BLACKFOOT
Bingham County (42K), approximately 53K of Idaho Falls CCD of Bonneville County.
IDAHO FALLS NORTH & REXBURG
Remainder of Bonneville County (app. 30K) and Jefferson, Madison, Fremont, Teton Counties (64K).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 05:55:46 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2005, 03:53:01 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

MONTANA

902K inhabitants. 9 seats.

Cascade - 80K
Missoula - 96K entitled to one seat each.
Yellowstone - 129K entitled to one seat plus overspill

A problem arises in the NW of the state because Flathead County, with 74K inhabitants, and Missoula County together separate 4 more counties (with over 46K inhabitants) from the rest of the state. This could only be solved by putting some more counties in with Missoula, or by splitting Flathead County. I went with the first option. Names I chose are more than just a bit dull, btw.

MISSOULA
Missoula, Mineral, and Sanders Counties. 110K
KALISPELL
Flathead, Lake, and Lincoln Counties. 120K
BUTTE
Silver Bow, Deer Lodge, Granite, Ravalli, Beaverhead, and Madison Counties. 99K
HELENA
Lewis and Clark, Powell, Jefferson, Broadwater, Meagher, Teton, Pondera, and Glacier Counties. 104K
BOZEMAN
Gallatin, Park, Sweet Grass, Stillwater, and Carbon Counties. 106K
GREAT FALLS
Cascade County. 80K
BILLINGS
Billings CCD of Yellowstone County. 97K
YELLOWSTONE RIVER
Remainder of Yellowstone County; Fallon, Carter, Powder River, Custer, Rosebud, Treasure, Big Horn, Musselshell, Golden Valley, Wheatland, Fergus, Petroleum, and Judith Basin Counties. 94K
UPPER MISSOURI
Toole, Liberty, Hill, Chouteau, Blaine, Philips, Valley, Daniels, Sheridan, Roosevelt, Richland, Dawson, McCone, Wibaux, Prairie, and Garfield Counties. 91K
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 05:58:15 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2005, 03:53:13 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

WYOMING
494K inhabitants.
5 seats.

Laramie County, 82K inhabitants, entitled to a seat of its own. No problems of any kind arose.

YELLOWSTONE PARK
Teton, Park, Lincoln, Sublette, Fremont, and Hot Springs Counties. 106K
LARAMIE & ROCK SPRINGS
Uinta, Sweetwater, Carbon, Albany Counties. 106K
CHEYENNE
Laramie County. 82K
CASPER
Natrona, Converse, Goshen, Platte, and Niobrara Counties. 103K
GILLETTE & SHERIDAN
Big Horn, Campbell, Crook, Johnson, Sheridan, Washakie, and Weston Counties. 100K
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 06:54:01 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2005, 03:53:37 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

Nevada - 1,998 mio inhabitants. 20 seats.
Clark County has 1,376 mio inhabitants and gets 14 seats.
Washoe County has 339K inhabitants and gets three seats.
The remainder of the state has 283K inhabitants and gets three seats.

SPARKS (& PYRAMID LAKE, or & WASHOE NORTH)
High Desert, Pyramid Lake, Warm Springs - Truckee Canyon, Sun Valley, Sparks CCDs of Washoe County. 102 K. Perhaps plus 3K of Reno North CCD that are outside Reno city limits, including 2K that are inside Sparks city limits.
RENO EAST
Bulk of Reno North and Reno South East CCDs. 126K -x.
RENO WEST
Not nearly as urban as Reno East. Incline Village, Washoe Valley, Reno South West, Verdi and North Valleys CCDs. Plus a bit of either Reno North or Reno South East probably. 112K plus x.
CARSON CITY
Carson City, Douglas County. 93K.
PAHRUMP & NEVADA WEST
Lyon, Storey, Mineral, Churchill, Esmeralda and Nye Counties. 100K. This district includes 30% of the surface area of Nevada. Pahrump is a Las Vegas exurb of 24K inhabitants that is just over the county line in Nye.
ELKO & NEVADA NORTH EAST
Elko, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Pershing and White Pine Counties. 89K. This district includes 56% of the surface area of Nevada. Half the population is in Elko County.
CLARK COUNTY
CCD's are no use as they include Clark (50K) and Las Vegas (1,326mio).
However, city boundaries are in parts quite sane:
Henderson, 176K - 2 seats
Las Vegas, 478K, and Winchester, 27K - 5 seats together
North Las Vegas, 115K - 1 seat
Paradise, 186K - 2 seats
Spring Valley, 117K - 1 seat
Sunrise Manor, 156K, Nellis AFB, 9K, and Whitney, 18K - 2 seats together
That leaves 94K for an outer Clark County seat with a geographical name (MOAPA VALLEY & HOOVER DAM perhaps). However, there are some enclaves to iron out to make districts contiguous. If this pushes population below 80K, the remaining population will have to be gained by splitting either North Las Vegas or Spring Valley (as both are oversized and on the edge of the urbanized area.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 07:23:16 AM »

Utah
2,233 mio inhabitants
22 seats

Wasatch Front counties have 18 seats together (Cache 1, Weber 2, Davis 2, Salt Lake 9, Utah 4.) Washington County in the far SW of the state has another seat. That leaves three seats for rural Utah.

LOGAN
Cache County. 91K
OGDEN
Part of Ogden CCD (180K) of Weber County (197K), including all the city of Ogden (77K).
WEBER
Remainder of Weber County. Though it's not a geographical name actually, it's unique as a county name.
LAYTON
Most of North Davis CCD (150K) of Davis County (239K)
BOUNTIFUL
Remainder of North Davis CCD; South Davis CCD (89K).
SALT LAKE 1-9
CCD's are not helpful as four minor CCD's, two to the West, two to the East, have just 59K together.
Major places that would likely be included in constituency names are Salt Lake City (182K, two or perhaps more constituencies would bear this name), West Valley City (109K), Sandy (86K), Taylorsville (57K), West Jordan (54K).
PROVO
OREM
Provo-Orem CCD of Utah County. 190K (Provo city has 105K, Orem city 84K. Obviously part of Provo would have to be in the Orem seat.)
LEHI & AMERICAN FORK
American Fork - Pleasant Grove and Lehi CCDs. 98K.
SPRINGVILLE & SPANISH FORK
Goshe, Spanish Fork - Payson, and Springville - Mapleton CCDs, ie remainder of Utah County. 81K.
GREAT SALT LAKE
Box Elder, Tooele, Juab and Sanpete Counties. 115K. This district includes 22% of Utah's surface area. Sanpete included (creating an ugly boundary line) to avoid splitting a county.
WASATCH MOUNTAINS
Rich, Morgan, Summit, Wasatch, Duchesne, Daggett, Uintah and Carbon Counties. 114K. This district includes 17% of Utah's surface area.
UTAH SOUTH
Remainder of state except for Washington County. 120K. This district includes 52% of Utah's surface area.
SAINT GEORGE
Washington County. 90K.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies