Well, look what HE's doing to US now... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:34:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Well, look what HE's doing to US now... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Well, look what HE's doing to US now...  (Read 26642 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: April 26, 2005, 11:13:44 AM »

The population of 100,000 is very close to the size of a representative seat in the IL General Assembly. States are more akin to European countries in size. So, the size of these districts doesn't match well for the US as a whole.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 01:48:30 PM »

Muon: See the first post. Just before the smilie. Smiley
Immy: Coming soon.
WMS: Your job. Grin

My point was that your exercise might be more useful if assigned to the state legislatures, rather than to the federal government. Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 01:31:56 PM »

Your system makes a case for a single state of Dakota (pop 1397 K, 14 seats).  Smiley

NORTH DAKOTA
642K inhabitants, 6 seats

FARGO
Fargo and West Fargo cities of Cass County. 106K
Leave as is - 106 K

You must be logged in to read this quote.
JAMESTOWN & DEVILS LAKE
Add McHenry, Rolette, Pierce, Benson, Ramsey, remove Nelson, Richland, Ransom, Sargent, Dickey, LaMoure, remainder of Cass - 98 K

GRAND FORKS
Add Nelson, remove Ramsey - 99 K

Remove Benson, Pierce - 97 K

Remove Rolette and McHenry - 100 K

Add (from SD) Corson, Dewey, Ziebach - 102 K
This puts together the Standing Rock Reservation.

SOUTH DAKOTA
8 seats

RAPID CITY
Rapid City, Box Elder cities, Keytone town, Central Pennington, Rapid City East, Mount Rushmore CCDs (not everywhere in South Dakota is split completely into townships...many counties in the western part of the state are not) 83K
Use all of Pennington, add Custer, Fall River - 104 K

SPEARFISH
Add Haakon, Stanley, Jones, Shannon, Jackson, Bennett, Todd, Mellette, remove Pennington, Custer, Fall River - 94 K

MITCHELL & HURON
Add Beadle, Jerauld, Aurora, Sanborn, Davison, Douglas, Hanson, Miner, Kingsbury, remove Corson, Dewey, Ziebach, Haakon, Stanley, Jones, Shannon, Jackson, Bennett, Todd, Mellette - 90 K

Add (from ND) Dickey, LaMoure - 97 K

WATERTOWN
Add (from ND) Richland, Ransom, Sargent, remainder of Cass, remove Brookings, Kingsbury, Hamlin, Deuel, Clark - 101 K

BROOKINGS
Add Brookings, Hamlin, Deuel, Clark, remove Beadle, Jerauld, Aurora, Sanborn, Davison, Douglas, Hanson, Miner  - 97 K

Leave as is - 117 K

Leave as is - 97 K
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 06:06:33 PM »

When you get to IL, within Chicago the easiest subdivisions are for "Community Areas". These are equivalent to groups of census tracts and are all named by their neighborhood. If you don't have the data, I can get it to you.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 04:37:26 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2005, 04:11:35 PM by muon2 »

For decades Chicago has been divided into community areas that now coincide with groups of census tracts that have summary data collected for them. In terms of census data they area at an equivalent level to townships. The Chicago Community Area Data can be found at the City of Chicago's Department of Planning and Development.

The url for the page with the map is map page

The population data can be looked up on this page: pop page

If you want my suggestions on the division into 100 K units I'll be happy to oblige.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 03:59:36 PM »

Thanks. Kiki I had some idle moments at work so I took care of this, using my unfair advantages of a decent connection, lots o' storage space, and good Arc programs (although it is possible for anyone to do this with free software such as ArcExplorer). I have no idea how I'm going to divvy up Albuquerque's 5 seats, since the precinct lines don't necessarily follow the boundary between Bernalillo West CCD and Albuquerque CCD (don't get me started on the precinct boundaries...).

And to Muon2: please, condense those links - they're stretching the screen. Easiest way is to do it like this:

{[}url=http://{whatever the link is}]{text in place of the link such as Neighborhoods}{[}/url{]} And remove the {}. Smiley

I thought that URLs couldn't be embedded if they contained an = character. Tongue That used to be true on the site, but if it's changed let me know and I'll make the necessary corrections.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 04:13:57 PM »

Thanks. Kiki I had some idle moments at work so I took care of this, using my unfair advantages of a decent connection, lots o' storage space, and good Arc programs (although it is possible for anyone to do this with free software such as ArcExplorer). I have no idea how I'm going to divvy up Albuquerque's 5 seats, since the precinct lines don't necessarily follow the boundary between Bernalillo West CCD and Albuquerque CCD (don't get me started on the precinct boundaries...).

And to Muon2: please, condense those links - they're stretching the screen. Easiest way is to do it like this:

{[}url=http://{whatever the link is}]{text in place of the link such as Neighborhoods}{[}/url{]} And remove the {}. Smiley

I thought that URLs couldn't be embedded if they contained an = character. Tongue That used to be true on the site, but if it's changed let me know and I'll make the necessary corrections.

It's worked pretty well for me having the url= the link - in fact, I think the code requires the = to be there for this to work. Smiley

I've fixed it now. One of the upgrades must have fixed this from a year ago. The problem was not with the url=, but with an url that have an = within it. In any case, it's no longer a problem. Cheesy
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 02:08:56 PM »

Tap, tap, tap, ...

Must be IL next. I've spent some time in anticipation thinking how I would do it. But, I'd like to see your view first.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 03:53:59 PM »

Not too far off my split. I'll highlight some differences with my comments in my next post.

My big picture split goes along these lines:
Chicago (except O'Hare) + Norwood Park: 2908 K, 29 seats.
N. Cook (except Maine Twp) + Lake + McHenry: 1816 K, 18 seats.
W. Cook (with O'Hare and Maine Twp) + DuPage + Kane: 2076 K, 21 seats.
S. Cook + Will: 1291 K, 13 seats.
Rest of the state: 4328 K, 43 seats.

I kept Boone outside of the Chicago collar counties. McHenry + Lake add up to almost exactly 9 seats, and Winnebago + Boone + DeKalb add up to 409 K for 4 seats.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 12:17:40 AM »

My thoughts in color. The districts are rearranged in order as well.

NORTHERN REGION, 998 K, 10 seats

DeKalb, Boone and Winnebago add up to 409 K for four seats, most of the population of Boone in the Rockford metro area.

IL-82 DE KALB
De Kalb. 89K add Boone except for Belvidere and Caledonia Twp. 101K

IL-83 BELVIDERE MACHESNEY PARK & SOUTH BELOIT
Remainder of Winnebago county. 81K add Belvidere and Caledonia Twp from Boone. 111K

IL-84 ROCKFORD NORTH
Part of Rockford township (179K)
IL-85 ROCKFORD SOUTH
Remainder of Rockford township; Cherry Valley township (18K). 197K together.

IL-86 FREEPORT
Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Carroll. 89K

IL-87 DIXON DIXON & ROCHELLE
Ogle, Lee. 87K

IL-88 ROCK FALLS STERLING & EAST MOLINE
Whiteside county; Cordova, Coe, Canoe Creek, Zuma, Hampton townships of Rock Island county; part of East Moline city in South Moline township. 100K
IL-89 ROCK ISLAND & MOLINE
Remainder of Rock Island county. 110K
I had grouped Moline, S. Moline, Rock Island and S. Rock Island Twps for 97K, leaving a thin connect between the north and south half of the other district 113K. Yours works as well.

IL-90 KEWAUNEE PRINCETON & KEWANEE (?)
Henry, Bureau, Stark, Putnam, Marshall. 112K drop Marshall. 93K.

IL-91 OTTAWA, LA SALLE & PERU
La Salle. 112K

EAST CENTRAL REGION, 910 K, 9 seats

IL-92 OSWEGOMORRIS & PLANO (?)
Kendall, Grundy. 93K

IL-93 KANKAKEE
Kankakee. 104K

IL-94 PONTIACWATSEKA & PONTIAC
Iroquois, Ford, Livingston. 85K Ford, Livingston, Woodford. 89K

IL-95 DANVILLE
Vermilion. 84K add Iroquois. 115K

Champaign and Piatt together have 197K. There a number of ways to split them.
IL-96 CHAMPAIGN
Champaign City, Champaign, Hensley, Mahomet, Scott townships. 92K Champaign City, Champaign, Scott Twp, plus Piatt County. 97K
IL-97 URBANA URBANA & RENTOUL
Remainder of Champaign county. 88K 100K

IL-98 DECATUR
Macon. 115K

McLean must be split, but I'd combine it with DeWitt and Logan. 198K

IL-99 BLOOMINGTON & NORMAL
Bloomington City, Bloomington, Normal townships. 114K drop Bloomington Twp for 110K
IL-100 LINCOLN CLINTON & (?, two more names might do well)
Remainder of McLean county; Piatt, DeWitt, Moultrie. 83K Remainder of McLean, DeWitt, Logan. 88K

WEST CENTRAL REGION, 986 K, 10 seats

Tazewell, Morgan, Mason and Cass equal 195K
IL-101 EAST PEORIA PEKIN & EAST PEORIA
Washington, Fondulac, Pekin, Groveland, Elm Grove, Cincinnati, Spring Lake, Dillon, Sand Praire townships of Tazewell county. 97K Fondulac, Groveland, Morton, Pekin, Washington Twp. 98K
IL-102 JACKSONVILLE LINCOLN & (?)
Remainder of Tazewell county; Woodford, Mason, Logan counties. 113K Remainder of Tazewell, Cass, Mason, Morgan. 97K

Peoria, Stark and Marshall equal 203K.
IL-103 PEORIA CITYPEORIA SOUTH
West Peoria, Hollis, Timber, Limestone, Logan, Trivoli townships (33K), part of Peoria City township (113K), possibly Richwoods township (7K) depending on distribution of population inside city of Peoria. Just Peoria City Twp. 113K
IL-104 PEORIA HEIGHTS PEORIA NORTH
Remainder of Peoria county. 183K together. Remainder of Peoria, Stark, Marshall. 90K

IL-105 GALESBURG
Knox, Fulton. 94K Try Knox, Henderson, Mercer, Warren. 100K

IL-106 MACOMB MACOMB & MONMOUTH
Mercer, Warren, Henderson, McDonough, Hancock. 97K Fulron, Hancock, McDonough, Schuyler. 98K

IL-107 QUINCY
Adams, Brown, Schuyler, Pike, Calhoun. 104K drop Schuyler. 98K

IL-108 CARLINVILLE BEARDSTOWN & JERSEYVILLE (or LOWER ILLINOIS RIVER)
Menard, Cass, Morgan, Scott, Greene, Jersey. 106K Greene, Jersey, Macoupin, Scott. 91K

Sangamon and Menard together equal 202K.
IL-109 SPRINGFIELD SPRINGFIELD NORTH EAST
Fancy Creek, Williams, Clear Lake, Mechanicsburg, Buffalo Hart, Lanesville, Iliopolis, Rochester, Cooper townships (23K); part of Capital township (111K), all or part of Springfield township (7K), possibly part of Woodside township (13K) - these latter depending on contiguity and on the Capital split. just Springfield City (Capital Twp). 111K
IL-110 SANGAMON SPRINGFIELD SOUTH WEST
Remainder of Sangamon county. 189K together. Remainder of Sangamon, Menard. 90K

METRO EAST REGION, 515 K, 5 seats

Madison and St Clair together make very close to 5 seats, and the surrounding counties are much more rural and "southern", unlike the urban and suburban areas in the Metro East.

IL-111 ALTON
Alton, Godfrey, Foster, Wood River, Fort Russell, Moro townships of Madison county. 94K. Adding Oumphghent and Hamel might be an option, bringing the population to 98K, but also weirding the shape of the Edwardsville district. Add Alhambra, Leef, New Douglas, Olive. 104K.

IL-112 EDWARDSVILLE & GRANITE CITY GRANITE CITY & COLLINSVILLE
Granite City, Chouteau, Venice, Nameoki, Collinsville, Jarvis townships. 102K drop Collinsville and Jarvis, add Edwardsville, Marine, Pin Oak, Saline. 100K

IL-113 COLLINSVILLE & O'FALLON EDWARDSVILLE & MACOUPIN
Remainder of Madison county; Macoupin county. 112K (or 108K without Oumphghent and Hamel.) Madison: Collinsville, Helvetia, Jarvis, St Jacob; St Clair: Caseyville, O'Fallon. 103K

IL-114 EAST ST LOUIS EAST SAINT LOUIS & CAHOKIA
East Saint Louis, Stites, Canteen, Centreville, Caseyville townships of Saint Clair county. 100K drop Caseyville and add Millstadt, Prairie du Long, Smithton, Stookey, Sugar Loaf. 100K

IL-115 BELLEVILLE
Belleville, Stookey, Saint Clair, Shiloh Valley, O'Fallon townships. 115K Belleville, Englemann, Fayetteville, Freeburg, Lebanon, Lenzburg, Marissa, Mascoutah, New Athens, St Clair, Shiloh Valley. 108K

SOUTHERN REGION, 918 K, 9 seats

IL-116 KASKASKIA CHESTER & WATERLOO
Remainder of Saint Clair county; Monroe, Randolph counties. 103K Monroe, Perry, Randolph, Washington. 100K

IL-117 LITCHFIELD & VANDALIA TAYLORSVILLE & LITCHFIELD (?)
Christian, Montgomery, Shelby, Bond. 106K Bond, Clinton, Fayette, Montgomery. 106K

IL-118 CHARLESTON CHARLESTON & PARIS (?)
Douglas, Coles, Cumberland, Edgar. 104K I swapped Clark for Cumberland. 110K

IL-119 EFFINGHAM EFFINGHAM & VANDALIA
Effingham, Fayette, Marion, Clay. 113K Christian, Effingham, Moultrie, Shelby. 107K

IL-120 LITTLE WABASH LOWER WABASH (?)
Clark, Crawford, Jasper, Lawrence, Richland, Wabash, Edwards. 98K Drop Clark and add Clay and Cumberland. 108K

IL-121 MT VERNON MOUNT VERNON & DU QUOIN (? one more name for NE part perhaps)
Clinton, Washington, Perry, Jefferson. 114K Jefferson, Marion, Wayne. 99K

IL-122 SALINE RIVER FAIRFIELD & HARRISBURG
Wayne, Hamilton, White, Saline, Gallatin, Pope, Hardin, Johnson. 96K Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Saline, White. 96K

IL-123 MARION BENTON & MARION
Franklin, Williamson. 100K Hardin, Johnson, Massac, Pope, Williamson. 99K

IL-124 CARBONDALE CARBONDALE & CAIRO
Jackson, Union, Alexander, Pulaski, Massac. 110K Drop Massac. 95K

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies