China immediately bans awesome documentary about its massive pollution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:59:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  China immediately bans awesome documentary about its massive pollution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China immediately bans awesome documentary about its massive pollution  (Read 948 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2015, 02:30:24 PM »

China takes Under the Dome anti-pollution film offline

The authorities in China have a removed from websites a popular documentary which highlights the country's severe pollution problem.

Under the Dome explains the social and health costs of pollution, and was watched by more than 100 million people online, sparking debates.

It was removed just two days after Premier Li Keqiang called pollution a blight on people's lives.

Standing in front of an audience in a simple white shirt and jeans, Ms Chai speaks plainly throughout the 103-minute video, which features a year-long investigation of China's noxious pollution problem.

At times, the documentary is deeply personal. Near the start of the documentary, Ms Chai interviews a six-year-old living in the coal-mining province of Shanxi, one of the most polluted places on earth.

"Have you ever seen stars?" Ms Chai asks. "No," replies the girl.

"Have you ever seen a blue sky?" "I have seen a sky that's a little bit blue," the girl tells her.

"But have you ever seen white clouds?" "No," the girl sighs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31778115

You can watch the documentary with full English subtitles here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6X2uwlQGQM

Would be good if the people of China would finally wake up and start to think Green.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:14:19 PM »

Would be good if the people of China would finally wake up and start to think Green.

It doesn't matter what the people thinks in China.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »

Senator Ernst approves of their lack of an EPA.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »

I thought they had a token environmental board with no actual authority?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »

Disgusting.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:43:13 PM »

I just actually watched this, and you are correct. Also, how anyone could think such a documentary is ban-worthy is beyond me.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »

I just actually watched this, and you are correct. Also, how anyone could think such a documentary is ban-worthy is beyond me.

To my knowledge, they've banned several other environmental films over the years. Apparently, they're not risking a possible demand that something be done.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 12:21:20 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 11:34:00 PM by Storebought »

I have the view that every country that undergoes an industrial expansion will have unconscionable levels of pollution, especially in the early stages. The problem is that China has been polluting at a rate consistent with this "takeoff' stage for the past 40 years, and will need to keep doing so for another generation or two more.

The presenter mentions two postindustrial economies that lowered their pollution levels only after sizable reorganization (demolition) of their respective heavy industries, namely the US (automobile manufacturing) and the UK (coal mining). She even says that the British experience proves that "The government shouldn't subsidize backward-thinking, polluting, and unprofitable industries."

During the documentary, Ms Chai mentions in passing the documentary (advertisement for British Gas) Guilty Chimneys. It's three newsreels split in two videos:

Part 1
Part 2 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 03:15:04 AM »

I have the view that every country that undergoes an industrial expansion will have unconscionable levels of pollution, especially in the early stages. The problem is that China has been polluting at a rate consistent with this "takeoff' stage for the past 40 years, and will need to keep doing so for another generation or two more.

The technological level is higher today. We know far more about how to prevent pollution than during earlier bouts of mass industrialisation, so that sort of sweeping generalisation is not valid.

The Chinese leadership made a choice: pollute now, clean up in the (distant) future, and their population is paying the price.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »

China is making an effort to clear up. It really has no option but to help itself. Already coal imports are collapsing - which is really starting to mess with countries that have sunk tons of infrastructure under the belief China's coal use was always going to stay constant (hello Australia)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies