Webb vs Walker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Webb vs Walker
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Webb vs Walker  (Read 930 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »

I know, I know but I seriously think that Webb's one of the few Democrat that would actually have a reasonable shot at states like West Virginia and Arkansas
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »

I really doubt WV and AR, and I'm a Webb fan...
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »

I really doubt WV and AR, and I'm a Webb fan...

I think that his whole Scotts-Irish identity politics schtick would play well there. Then again to get the Democratic nomination in this day and age he'd have to tone it down in the primaries.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:31:45 PM »

By Wednesday (3/11/2015) we shall see whether Scott Walker has won Wisconsin over to his right-wing, Corporatist model of government. We can see whether he is the new Ronald Reagan or the new Barry Goldwater.  The test will be whether he is more popular than other Republicans as potential nominees for President in Wisconsin.

The Favorite Son effect is real for someone well received in his own state -- maybe better understood there than elsewhere (think of George McGovern in South Dakota, one of his strongest states in 1972 or Goldwater in Arizona in 1964) or seen as more competent in his home state (Carter in 1980) than almost everywhere else. It could be weak in a max-out situation (Kerry in 2004 in Massachusetts, Obama in Illinois in 2008 and 2012). It is the difference between Gerald Ford winning Michigan and losing Ohio in 1976.

It does not help someone seen derogatorily in his own state -- let us say Santourm in Pennsylvania.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:43:31 PM »

I know, I know but I seriously think that Webb's one of the few Democrat that would actually have a reasonable shot at states like West Virginia and Arkansas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:13:44 PM »

If this happened, he'd win Missouri and North Carolina too.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »

No Democrat will win WV in any circumstance.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 04:42:29 PM »

Hillary has a much better chance at WV (and AR), and yes because her husband won them two decades ago. Webb is a joke presidential candidate.

She even polled competitively until recently. We all knew it was coming. But Webb would not even be competitive.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »

This is not the 90s anymore. AR, KY and WV are gone for the Dems (especially after Obama).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »

Well, currently Webb's entire campaign consists of tweets and low budget Youtube videos, so that's not a very good indicator of strength.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »

AR and WV would LITERALLY vote for a deadly virus with an R next to its name over ANY democrat, no matter how conservative that democrat happens to be. The midterms made this very clear.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »

This is not the 90s anymore. AR, KY and WV are gone for the Dems (especially after Obama).

Yep. The sands have shifted and I think some are slow to realize it.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »

Webb is one of the few Democrats I am confident would beat Walker. He's qualified, experienced, and rather hard to attack.

He'll also never be nominated, but I agree with the above map except for AR and WV.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »

Webb is one of the few Democrats I am confident would beat Walker. He's qualified, experienced, and rather hard to attack.

He'll also never be nominated, but I agree with the above map except for AR and WV.

This.  I'd be thrilled to vote for Jim Webb.  A Jim Webb/Joe Manchin ticket would be just great.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 07:52:52 PM »

This.  I'd be thrilled to vote for Jim Webb.  A Jim Webb/Joe Manchin ticket would be just great.

He'd stand a good chance of getting my vote as well. I'm only confident of voting for Walker, Rubio, or the not-running Haslam and Sandoval over Webb.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »

Huh. I would not expect a libertarian type to say something like this but I heartily agree.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 08:50:44 PM »

Huh. I would not expect a libertarian type to say something like this but I heartily agree.

Manchin is very good on most economic issues......pro-balanced budget amendment, Keystone XL, against cap-and-trade, and supportive of reducing Obamacare mandates.  He also supports comprehensive entitlement reform and is an opponent of wasteful spending.

Jim Webb is a leading advocate for criminal-justice reform (which I greatly support) and is for the most part a fairly moderate, reasonable Democrat as far as I'm aware.

Webb vs. Walker would be a tough choice, but I think I'd vote Webb.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »

Manchin is very good on most economic issues......pro-balanced budget amendment, Keystone XL, against cap-and-trade, and supportive of reducing Obamacare mandates.  He also supports comprehensive entitlement reform and is an opponent of wasteful spending.

Jim Webb is a leading advocate for criminal-justice reform (which I greatly support) and is for the most part a fairly moderate, reasonable Democrat as far as I'm aware.

He's also really strong and smart on defense, which is key for my vote.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »

He's also really strong and smart on defense, which is key for my vote.

Indeed.  He actually embodies "Peace through strength," unlike some craven warmongering charlatans who use that motto as a means to go to war.

Webb would be a terrific president.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies