Daylight Savings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:06:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Daylight Savings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should we keep it?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Daylight Savings  (Read 3465 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 12:28:48 PM »

Daylight savings time should be kept. Standard time should of course be abolished.

Then, wouldn't that in effect abolish Daylight time by it becoming the standard time?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »

Simple solution: set the clock 1/2 hour ahead at DST. Then leave it that way forever.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »

Permanently.  My body never adjusts to Standard Time
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 01:27:57 AM »

Daylight savings time should be kept. Standard time should of course be abolished.

Yeah, this.

Certainly better than changing clocks twice a year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 02:23:06 AM »

Yeah, this.

Again, rather than moving the clocks forward and leaving them there, why not just change people's working hours to later in the day?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »

Yeah, this.

Again, rather than moving the clocks forward and leaving them there, why not just change people's working hours to later in the day?

That would be anti-savings time.  To get the same effect without changing clocks, you'd move schedules to be earlier in the day.  But as already pointed out, it generally is the case that people hate mornings, hence the itch to move daylight hours from morning to afternoon.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »

Yeah, this.

Reported for Anti-American trolling.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »

Then, wouldn't that in effect abolish Daylight time by it becoming the standard time?

Yes, it is completely irrational.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »

Still would be preferable to the stupid clock switching. Isn't that what Saskatchewan does too?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 10:25:37 AM »

Yes, it is completely irrational.

I would very much like the new standard.  (Irrational normal)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »

It really messed me up this time around.

I have for a long time been rather hostile to it.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »

Yeah, this.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 08:54:52 PM »

Yeah, this.

That would be anti-savings time.  To get the same effect without changing clocks, you'd move schedules to be earlier in the day.  But as already pointed out, it generally is the case that people hate mornings, hence the itch to move daylight hours from morning to afternoon.

Sorry, yes, I meant an hour earlier in the day.

But I don't get "people hate mornings", because these two options are equivalent:

1) Keep standard time year round, but have everyone shift their schedules one hour earlier.
2) Have daylight time year round, but have everyone work at the same time they do now.

Those are exactly the same re: the actual hours people are awake, except that what you call "9am" in one case is called "10am" in another case, and so on.  The one difference is that in the standard time option, there's an actual astronomical correspondence to the clock (the Sun transiting at about noon).  So why mess with that?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »

No, and let's get rid of separate time zones while we're at it.

Wait, what? Is this serious, or subtle dry trolling?

It would make a lot of analysis and scheduling much simpler if everyone were measuring time consistently and recording the same time stamps regardless of location. DST just makes the entire situation even worse, because it undermines the one reason that time zones are convenient. What's the point in having separate time zones if they aren't even oriented around solar noon?

Suppose I want to call someone on the phone in Australia. Right now, before doing so, I check what time it is there. If it's 8 pm in Australia, it's a reasonable time to call. If it's 3 am there, it's not a reasonable time to call.

Now suppose there are no time zones, so when it's 8:00 world time in Wisconsin, it's 8:00 world time in Australia. But that tells me nothing about whether it's the day or the middle of the night there. In order to know whether I'd wake them up, I'd have to convert 8:00 to some measure of how long it's been day or night. Wouldn't this measure just be essentially a time zone?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 10:04:50 PM »

Yes, I like having more sunlight in the evening, when I'm actually up. Though the change is pretty rough. I'm about to take some NyQuil to drug me to sleep, so I should be adjusted by Friday morning.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »

Yeah, this.
This would mean: No light for me in my part of the world in the winter before 9 am. THAT's just insane.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 10:29:03 AM »

That wouldn't bother me. I'm usually sleeping at 9 anyway.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »

The one difference is that in the standard time option, there's an actual astronomical correspondence to the clock (the Sun transiting at about noon).  So why mess with that?

What's so important about having 12 noon on the clock be near solar noon?  After all, the principle behind Daylight Savings Time is essentially about trying to keep 6 am on the clock to be near solar dawn while having the benefit of hours of constant duration.  In a real sense both are equally arbitrary preferences.

Still, the whole history of time zones and standard time confirms that there is a real bias on the part of most humans in favor of having more hours of afternoon than of forenoon.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies