Getting on the ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:50:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Getting on the ballot
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Getting on the ballot  (Read 1106 times)
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2004, 07:43:03 PM »

Nader seems to be having major trouble getting on the ballot.  With the GOP convention in September this year, Bush may have some problems too.  I know Alabama passed a law to give Bush a waver to get on the ballot.  Does anyone have any idea as to whether Bush has a chance of even being on the ballot in places like MD, NJ, or CA?  Or even in West Virginia?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 08:18:04 PM »

www.votenader.org has all the rules in every state, including deadlines, number of signatures needed, and the like.  You should be able to determine from that.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 10:40:22 AM »

Nader seems to be having major trouble getting on the ballot.  With the GOP convention in September this year, Bush may have some problems too.  I know Alabama passed a law to give Bush a waver to get on the ballot.  Does anyone have any idea as to whether Bush has a chance of even being on the ballot in places like MD, NJ, or CA?  Or even in West Virginia?

Why would Bush need a waiver?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 11:36:58 AM »

Why would Bush need a waiver?

He won't. I thought the only state which presented a potential problem was Illinois and they passed a bill to take the late GOP convention into account. I doubt any state legislature would be so accomodating to Nader or any minor parties.

More evidence that these two parties own the process.  That was one of Nader's complaints, and a legitimate one in my opinion.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 12:17:36 PM »

Bush needed a waiver because the GOP convention is like two weeks after the official cut off for ballot access in Alabama.  Alaska is due the day before Alabama but considering the GOP's hold in state I doubt it will be an issue.  The GOP convention is like two months after the cutoff in Arizona, but they probably have a waiver in place since neither of the two major parties would make the cut otherwise.  I think that Arkansas has automatic access for parties that got a certain % or more.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies