Is there any democrat who could defeat Cruz in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:30:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is there any democrat who could defeat Cruz in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is there any democrat who could defeat Cruz in 2018?  (Read 4787 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 05:49:47 AM »

The only way Cruz could lose would be if he were to say that the president should be assassinated, and even then, it'd still be Likely Safe R.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »

No.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »

Assuming Hillary wins the W.H. and Dems have 51-49 senate: OH,WI,NH,PA,CO, NV, IL  wins in senate races: here is the breakdown of another site's early prognosticators. 2017-2018 senate breakdown.

http://danielsattelberger.blogspot.com/p/2017-2018-senate-yes-im-serious-general.html
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 04:31:39 PM »

Assuming Hillary wins the W.H. and Dems have 51-49 senate: OH,WI,NH,PA,CO, NV, IL  wins in senate races: here is the breakdown of another site's early prognosticators. 2017-2018 senate breakdown.

http://danielsattelberger.blogspot.com/p/2017-2018-senate-yes-im-serious-general.html
Their 2018 don't look too off overall IMO, though I do feel that West Virginia should be either moved into the lean D/tossup category and that Indiana and Montana should be moved to the lean R category.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 12:27:37 AM »

Probably not on their abilities alone. However, it is wouldn't surprise me if Ted Cruz made some fatal gaffe and ended his own career.
No Cruz is a good campaigner he doesn't make unforced errors. I have seen him speak to audiences on TV he is pretty good  but tactical errors hurt him(i.e. 2013 Government Shutdown.)

"I wish we had 99 senators like Jesse Helms" - Ted Cruz.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 12:45:53 AM »

Probably not on their abilities alone. However, it is wouldn't surprise me if Ted Cruz made some fatal gaffe and ended his own career.
No Cruz is a good campaigner he doesn't make unforced errors. I have seen him speak to audiences on TV he is pretty good  but tactical errors hurt him(i.e. 2013 Government Shutdown.)

"I wish we had 99 senators like Jesse Helms" - Ted Cruz.

That's not a mistake. Cruz knows who he's talking to.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2015, 07:10:23 AM by OC »

It is clear that Dems may have a slim majority heading into 2018 and Donnelly, Tester and Heitkemp are vulnerable.

The Dems will have eiher a 51-49 majority or a 51-50, since conservatives will target Democratic 3, Dems must target Flake, Heller and 1 more conservative.  Although, it will be a tremendous upset, Hatch or Cruz will be targetted as well. But, must be done to ensure that Dems can have a majority still in 2018.

Dems have positives going in IL, WI, ME, MA, MD, MI, NJ governors going into the 2017-2018 cycle as well.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »

It is clear that Dems may have a slim majority heading into 2018 and Donnelly, Tester and Heitkemp are vulnerable.

The Dems will have eiher a 51-49 majority or a 51-50, since conservatives will target Democratic 3, Dems must target Flake, Heller and 1 more conservative.  Although, it will be a tremendous upset, Hatch or Cruz will be targetted as well. But, must be done to ensure that Dems can have a majority still in 2018.

Dems have positives going in IL, WI, ME, MA, MD, MI, NJ governors going into the 2017-2018 cycle as well.

Hatch will be targeted? I mean, he will retire, but I can't see his seat flipping to the Dems. Also, Cruz losing seems to be very, very unlikely.
If the Dems regain the Senate majority in 2016 (let's say 50-50 with the Democratic VP breaking the tie), they will amost certainly lose it in 2018 because the map is even worse for them than it was in 2014. Another problem is that those states are not the typical "base turnout" states (IN, WV, MT, ND, MO, to a lesser extent AZ). What makes it a bit difficult for the GOP is the fact that the incumbent Democratic senators in 2018 will presumably be much more popular than those in 2014 (Manchin, Heitkamp, Brown, Nelson).
[/b][/i]

That's why having 52 senators including FL is essential, as well, with Murphy winning. I wasn't trying to say that those GOPers will lose  except for maybe Flake or Heller, is that if Immigration Reform passes or Keystone Passes, the possiblly of a Castro or Matheson upset makes it more of a probability, which Hilary has more of cbance passing it, due to triangulation, than Obama.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 09:52:48 AM »

Obviously yes because Texas will be blue in a few years

Yes, eventually Democrats will win everywhere and they don't even have to try because muh demographics.

Yes, but will we all be alive 25 years from now to see Democratic victories in Texas?))

I'll be in my 50s by then, so going by actuarial tables, I should still be alive. But as to the relevant question, no, Cruz probably won't lose to a Democrat in 2018. If it's a midterm with an unpopular Republican president, he's in danger, but he can probably raise enough money to pull through anyway. His real danger is in the Republican primary.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »

2024 maybe, but not in a midterm
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »

My view is that Ted Cruz only ran for the U.S Senate as a platform to run for President and if he doesn't become the President he won't run for reelection to the U.S Senate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »

Realistically, unless 2016 ends up being a Democratic tsunami, Democrats will not control the Senate in 2019.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »

Realistically, unless 2016 ends up being a Democratic tsunami, Democrats will not control the Senate in 2019.
This. As much as I like Heitkamp, McCaskill, Donnelly, and Tester, I realize that they likely won't survive 2018. And if the republicans can find someone competent to challenge Brown in OH, he'll be gone as well. And then there's Nelson, Kaine, Casey, Baldwin, Stabenow, Cantwell, and Heinrich at various levels of vulnerability. If Klobuchar retires, her seat will have some vulnerability as well.

For the democrats, Nevada is the only realistic pickup. Arizona is not realistic in a midterm unless Sinema runs.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 06:33:30 PM »

^ I think it was more than luck.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 10:21:49 PM »

Agreed. She was a former Attorney General going up against a sitting Congressman who outspent her in North Dakota, but she still won. She also didn't have a strong Libertarian candidate like Tester, or a rape-gaffe-prone Republican emerge from a primary like McCaskill or Donnelly. 2018 will be a midterm, but now she'll be an incumbent.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »

Agreed. She was a former Attorney General going up against a sitting Congressman who outspent her in North Dakota, but she still won. She also didn't have a strong Libertarian candidate like Tester, or a rape-gaffe-prone Republican emerge from a primary like McCaskill or Donnelly. 2018 will be a midterm, but now she'll be an incumbent.
Miles's comment was referring to McCaskill, not to Heitkamp.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 12:20:40 AM »

This. As much as I like Heitkamp, McCaskill, Donnelly, and Tester, I realize that they likely won't survive 2018. And if the republicans can find someone competent to challenge Brown in OH, he'll be gone as well. And then there's Nelson, Kaine, Casey, Baldwin, Stabenow, Cantwell, and Heinrich at various levels of vulnerability. If Klobuchar retires, her seat will have some vulnerability as well.

For the democrats, Nevada is the only realistic pickup. Arizona is not realistic in a midterm unless Sinema runs.

I think McCaskill and Donnelly are 100% goners. Heitkamp and Tester are fantastic campaigners, who do have the ability to win in small states, but it'll be rough.

Cantwell, Heinrich, and Stabenow are safe. New Mexico and Michigan both ended up being sleepers in 2014, they'll be fine in 2018.

If Kaine and Casey actually campaign, they'll be fine. Casey and Warner didn't know they were running for reelection, and if Kaine actually tries, they can win without sweating too much in their respective states.

Baldwin and Brown are interesting. Both are very liberal, but I see them both not being as expensive as their 2012 races because Republicans will still have to sink money into lower hanging fruit like ND, MO, MT, and IN. Completely depends on the nature of their challengers, but both are fantastic candidates.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 12:31:29 AM »

Miles's comment was referring to McCaskill, not to Heitkamp.

Hmm, no idea why I misread McCaskill as Heitkamp...oops.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »

I'm thinking no, given midterm turnout patterns. Gallego might make it close, but I don't think he'd actually take the plunge.
President Cruz won't be running for senate re-election in 2018.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 01:31:46 AM »

I'm thinking no, given midterm turnout patterns. Gallego might make it close, but I don't think he'd actually take the plunge.
President Cruz won't be running for senate re-election in 2018.
Jon Huntsman has a better chance of becoming president than Cruz.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies