Your Sexuality and Gender Identity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your Sexuality and Gender Identity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Choose two:
Heterosexual

Homosexual

Bisexual

Asexual

Other

Unsure

Cisgender

Transgender

Other

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 191

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Your Sexuality and Gender Identity?  (Read 12605 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2015, 02:22:07 PM »

I find it fascinating that in a forum where a majority of users prescribe to a "progressive", "pro-science" attitude that terms like "cis" are flung about in a completely unscientific and inappropriate way. Academically, they are absolutely meaningless in this context.

They are more meaningful than Slovakian democracy though
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »

Gay male.

I find it fascinating that in a forum where a majority of users prescribe to a "progressive", "pro-science" attitude that terms like "cis" are flung about in a completely unscientific and inappropriate way. Academically, they are absolutely meaningless in this context.

Our resident genius from Oxford weighs in!

Do you have anything at all relevant to say?

Ask yourself that.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2015, 03:24:49 PM »

As usual, hifly wants to illustrate us with his despicable views. Nothing concerning the divine and the human is alien to our illustrous Oxonian. And memphis wants his starring role, too. I think discussions related with sexuality should be better banned from Atlas, in order to save ourselves from the inconvenience and expense of reading the imputs from such forum geniuses.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 03:41:34 PM »

Cis gay.

I don't quite understand why people have problems with the word cisgender--why do they object to that term and not to terms like heterosexual?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2015, 04:16:55 PM by Hifly »

What do you mean by this? In the only times I've ever communicated with you, you've inferred that my family were Nazis and/or your posts have been dubious.

For the others concerned, the word "cisgender" does not and never has had any scientific ground to it. A simple search on the internet can even reveal this.
And it is worrying that individuals with "progressive" mindsets use unscientific terms to label sexuality, even if almost nobody else here actually pays attention to scientific study.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 04:21:55 PM »

I find it fascinating you expect any posts on the US Election Atlas Forum's Forum Community board to be made in a completely scientific and  appropriate way. If you think about it, maybe this internet board isn't academia!

And whoa, maybe even scientists just make up terms for things all the bloody time using Greek and Latin when they need a way to refer to something. Maybe that's, like, how languages work?? 

Cisgender is a cumbersome word that many people don't understand and isn't always helpful, but it is used in academia, and it's easy to discover what it means (jfgi). It's also the current best choice when given the alternatives. I'm sure if you can come up with a new label, it will spread far and wide in the wake of the tidal wave of your genius.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2015, 04:24:53 PM »

What do you mean by this? In the only times I've ever communicated with you, you've inferred that my family were Nazis and/or your posts have been dubious.

For the others concerned, the word "cisgender" does not and never has had any scientific ground to it. A simple search on the internet can even reveal this.
And it is worrying that individuals with "progressive" mindsets use unscientific terms to label sexuality, even if almost nobody else here actually pays attention to scientific study.

this medical textbook makes frequent use of the word cisgender. the earliest precursor to the word was invented by a medical doctor.

etc. etc. etc.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »

I don't personally care about this "issue" at all but I think cis-gender is objectively an aesthetically displeasing word and carries unpleasant Tumblrista connotations here.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »

I think part of the objection to the use of cis stems from trans still officially being pathologized as a disorder. AFAIK, we don't usually have specific terms for not having specific disorders. There is no word for not schizophrenic or not bulimic or so on. Having a word for the opposite of trans suggests that it's not a psychiatric problem.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »

I think part of the objection to the use of cis stems from trans still officially being pathologized as a disorder. AFAIK, we don't usually have specific terms for not having specific disorders. There is no word for not schizophrenic or not bulimic or so on. Having a word for the opposite of trans suggests that it's not a psychiatric problem.

This is a good point. I can get using cis-gender in a discussion about transgenderism but otherwise? Eh.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2015, 04:38:38 PM »

My objection to using the term is not only that it's frequently superfluous (which it is, of course) but rather that, if gender identity is immaterial to how you should treat individuals, why the obsession with using a term that by it's nature divides people into "true" gender or "trans" gender? If you identify as a man I'll perceive you as a man and that's all that matters, and vice versa. I don't really think it matters in practice how you arrived at that point as far as my personal treatment toward you goes. The use of the term is incredibly pedantic academic, and in academia is where it should remain.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »

this medical textbook makes frequent use of the word cisgender. the earliest precursor to the word was invented by a medical doctor.

etc. etc. etc.

Maybe you've mistranslated something from German or your native language, but what you appear to be stating is that a "health guide for transgender men" is a medical textbook. Apart from other issues re the principle of your point, but your source only amplifies my point.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »

what you appear to be stating is that a "health guide for transgender men" is a medical textbook.

the healthcare is for transgender men; the guide is for healthcare providers. do try to read at least the whole cover next time.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »

Why people think that can give categorical opinions on issues they ignore? Given the importance attributed to 'scientific' terms and definitions in this thread, I'm forced to correct our illustrious contributor resorting to an easily accessible document of the American Psychiatric Organisation.

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Gender%20Dysphoria%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »

what you appear to be stating is that a "health guide for transgender men" is a medical textbook.

the healthcare is for transgender men; the guide is for healthcare providers. do try to read at least the whole cover next time.
Further inspection reveals it's a virtually unused and obscure "free" (even to modify!) book, published by an organisation  which provides standard of care to "LGBTQ" individuals, and it has been written in affiliation with another organisation whose aim is to "work to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine their gender identity and expression".

That probably explains the misuse of the term in this unknown publication.

I may self-identify as cisgender, but it's not an appropriate medical or scientific term to describe my condition.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »

transgirl. my orientation is kinda weird i mean i have turn ons but i have to have more than a few drinks before having sex with anyone sounds not-terrible so went with asexual there. proof i really should have been born with a vagina i guess
Are you under the impression that women require alcohol to want or enjoy sex? That's very much not true.

Careful now, it almost sounds as if the feminazis have put you under mind-control.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »

Further inspection reveals it's a virtually unused and obscure "free" (even to modify!) book, published by an organisation  which provides standard of care to "LGBTQ" individuals, and it has been written in affiliation with another organisation whose aim is to "work to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine their gender identity and expression".

That probably explains the misuse of the term in this unknown publication.

I may self-identify as cisgender, but it's not an appropriate medical or scientific term to describe my condition.
the kinsey institute uses it as well.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »

When I hear cis-trans, I immediately think of cis-trans isomers from AP Bio.......nerd power. Tongue

Anyways cis/hetero
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2015, 06:58:07 PM »

Can someone please explain to me why we are supposed to care about the "science" of a word that is meant to describe social, not scientific, phenomena? The word has taken on a meaning outside the realm of science, but I understand why certain individuals are harping on the details. Outing oneself as a bigot instead isn't exactly popular. The word is real and in use. That's what matters.

Anyway, I'm not trans and not straight. That's about all I can confidently say on the matter.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »

This also relates to Velasco's post regarding using the use of unscientific language by associations in public in order to wash away "stigma". Dubious individuals may use that term to describe themselves, but it is not scientific language.

What???!!! If terms like "transgender", "cisgender" or "gender dysphoria" are used in scientific texts or in official documents, they must belong to the "scientific language" category. Also, the motivation to use "dysphoria" instead of "disorder" is not only to wash away the stigma associated to transgender people, it implies that such people isn't actually suffering a mental disease or disorder. Your "dubious individuals" use such terminology because it's the best available that describes their situation. As simple like that. Also, the document of the APO makes clear that psychiatric diagnosis is a necessary procedure in order that transgender people can access to care and treatment options, in neither case it implies that they are mentally ill or "disordered". I'll abstain myself to describe your weird obsession with the issue resorting to the DSM.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2015, 09:02:34 PM »

Trans lesbian.

I actually agree that 'cisgender' is an aesthetically displeasing word and prefer to use 'non-trans' unless somebody has already introduced 'cisgender' into the conversation.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »

transgirl. my orientation is kinda weird i mean i have turn ons but i have to have more than a few drinks before having sex with anyone sounds not-terrible so went with asexual there. proof i really should have been born with a vagina i guess
Are you under the impression that women require alcohol to want or enjoy sex? That's very much not true.

Careful now, it almost sounds as if the feminazis have put you under mind-control.
SHHH! The mind control things supposed to be a secret!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2015, 01:53:04 AM »

re: hifly

let me just leave this here

Given that gender dysphoria is either a physical or mental disorder (as in the mental gender and physical sex being opposite), is cisgender really necessary as a word?

Cisgender is a nonsense word invented by the Jewish Left-Wing Press to help spread neoliberal ideals and recruit young children into homosexualism.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 04:16:44 AM »

Totally masculine, totally homo.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70