Tony's Back in Town: University Choice (Attention Whoring) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:33:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Tony's Back in Town: University Choice (Attention Whoring) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tony's Back in Town: University Choice (Attention Whoring)  (Read 5827 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: March 09, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »

I walked away from a PhD in poli sci after 6 months. Make sure, really, really sure, beyond your advisors and the Uni's atmosphere (I also did poli sci (undergrad) at UIUC and recommend the place highly) that it's not just something you 'see' for yourself - but it's something you really want to do.

Beyond that, look at the resources, the support structures and the outcomes from previous and current students.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »

I guess the academics aspect is the most complex one, and as you guys have pointed our I'm probably the only one who can figure out what is the best fit for me. I will be questioning professors, and possibly students, about that.

At the same time, you guys can definitely help me out on the "quality of life" aspect. Which university is located in the best city/neighborhood? Which campus is more beautiful, or more comfortable? Which place has the nicest people? The most vibrant community? The most interesting cultural features? Etc.

I'm obviously biased toward UIUC, but it's limited. It's Chambana... but you do have to travel to see or do much beyond campus culture.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:10:14 AM »

But seriously... LA is a pit. Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:34:05 AM »

UCLA it is. I'm not fully convinced that it's the best choice, but anyway, there was no bad choice.

Extremely poor choice. Los Angeles?! You could've come to any of the amazing universities in Chicago, with the city's superior and unrivaled culture and anemities. You could've hung out with me, man.

Too bad Ian, looks like he's going to be hanging out with me! Cheesy

^

RIP Antonio, FF. It was nice knowing you. Cry

mmmm - Chicago is an amazing city. LA is a glorified parking lot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies