Tony's Back in Town: University Choice (Attention Whoring) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:41:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Tony's Back in Town: University Choice (Attention Whoring) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tony's Back in Town: University Choice (Attention Whoring)  (Read 5838 times)
retromike22
United States

« on: March 12, 2015, 08:07:55 PM »

Come to UCLA so you can go skiing, surfing, and Disneyland in one day!
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »

- Drawbacks: 1-The city might be not very easy to navigate into, especially without a car. 2-It's really, really big and perhaps a bit impersonal.

L.A. does have a decent public transportation system, despite what others may say. The Metro Rail isn't extensive, but it does go to further places like Santa Monica (starting this year), Long Beach, Pasadena, Hollywood, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Rail_%28Los_Angeles_County%29

But seeing how you'll be at UCLA., I'd imagine the Metro Rapid would be more useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Rapid

http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/rapid_system.pdf

It's a bus system that has a bus every 20 min, Mon-Fri 5am to 9pm, and every 10 min during rush hour.

I visit the city of L.A. probably about once or twice a month, but I haven't actually driven into L.A. for almost 5 years. I just drive to a suburb east of L.A., park at a rail station, and take the Metro Rail or Metro Rapid everywhere. As long as you find a place near a Metro Rail or Metro Rapid station, you should be fine. Actually, you can benefit by not having a car since you won't have to pay for auto insurance or deal with demonic freeways.

Yes, L.A. is a big city, but I wouldn't say it's impersonal. There's a lot of individuals in your area who come from different places around the world, so it's very cosmopolitan. You'd actually be in a very good location, halfway between Santa Monica and downtown L.A.

Out of curiosity, have you been to any of these areas (L.A., UC Davis, Duke) before? I've been to Sacramento once back in 1993, and San Francisco a few times, but most of my northern California experience has been in the Sierra Nevada. I've driven in San Francisco, and that was a nightmare.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »

I love Los Angeles, and I love Hollywood. They're beautiful. Everybody's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic.

-Andy Warhol

Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.

-Frank Lloyd Wright
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »

Definitely Duke.
Then you could be an alumnus of the same university as Richard Nixon.

Why go to the same college as Richard Nixon when you can visit the house where Nixon was born? Smiley
retromike22
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »

YAYYYYYYYYY!
retromike22
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 12:18:44 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2015, 12:22:12 AM by retromike22 »

UCLA it is. I'm not fully convinced that it's the best choice, but anyway, there was no bad choice.

Extremely poor choice. Los Angeles?! You could've come to any of the amazing universities in Chicago, with the city's superior and unrivaled culture and anemities. You could've hung out with me, man.

Too bad Ian, looks like he's going to be hanging out with me! Cheesy

Also Chicago has evil snow.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies