How much attention would Graham's sexuality receive during the general?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How much attention would Graham's sexuality receive during the general?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
None

Very Little

A moderate amount

A lot

It would be the main story

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: How much attention would Graham's sexuality receive during the general?  (Read 2067 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »

There has been speculation over whether he may be gay. Ignoring the GOP primary and whatever impact it would have there, it would certainly receive substantial attention in a general election, would it not? Especially as a social conservative in the era of gay rights.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2015, 08:51:33 PM by Brewer »

In this modern era of social media and personal mudslinging, I don't see how it doesn't get subtly brought up quite a bit.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »

Very little. Unless the GE is Graham vs. Schweitzer, the only one to bring it up will be a rogue member of the media who will be lambasted for it except by folks on the interwebs who continue to discuss it like us. Unless the current SCOTUS case is somehow pushed back significantly or results in a non-definitive decision. Then it might be a tick higher.

As of today, we learned he never sent an e-mail so there is going to be even less possibility of finding a definitive proof, I'd imagine. Surely there must be some evidence if true, but no one is going to go digging.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »

I doubt there would be anything overt, especially from the other candidates. However I am sure there could be a sort of whispering campaign (ala McCain's "black baby"). Just look at how Tom Schweich (who was running for GOP gov nomination in MO) recently committed suicide over a whisper campaign (orchestrated by the GOP chair of MO) about how he was secretly Jewish. These dark instincts are still within elements the GOP.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 03:02:55 AM »

If these are the types of threads we're having then we need to rethink the whole purpose of this board.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:46 AM »

Is there any real indication that he is gay or is it just useless internet speculation?
AelroseB

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »

Is there any real indication that he is gay or is it just useless internet speculation?

People equate having a high pitched voice with being gay.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »

Moderate amount, slightly. It may in the media, but we'll see.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »

I'm 90% sure he's not gay.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:20:11 AM »

Very little. Unless the GE is Graham vs. Schweitzer, the only one to bring it up will be a rogue member of the media who will be lambasted for it except by folks on the interwebs who continue to discuss it like us. Unless the current SCOTUS case is somehow pushed back significantly or results in a non-definitive decision. Then it might be a tick higher.

Seen from a pure entertainment perspective Graham vs. Schweitzer would be awesome.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »

He's never been married and has fey mannerisms.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Whispering campaigns are less effective in an internet age where everything can be recorded, and any rumor posted on a blog can go viral.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »

Quite a bit on the internet and behind the scenes, but nothing publicly.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 04:29:03 AM »

So what if he's gay or not gay; if people are so worried about who you do, rather than what you do. He's entitled to serve his country in whatever capacity he can serve. It's time to grow up America and wake up to one certainty, that the world is inhabited by all sorts. Is his crime about being gay or that fact people know about it? In my humble opinion,  it's a non issue,  so now can I have the sports section.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 04:54:58 AM »

So what if he's gay or not gay; if people are so worried about who you do, rather than what you do. He's entitled to serve his country in whatever capacity he can serve. It's time to grow up America and wake up to one certainty, that the world is inhabited by all sorts. Is his crime about being gay or that fact people know about it? In my humble opinion,  it's a non issue,  so now can I have the sports section.

Lol, you're aware he's a Republican.

But we know he wouldn't survive the primary on that issue alone...
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 07:31:17 AM »

He's almost certainly not gay, though, in the sense that he is not sleeping with men, and has not at least since he entered public life. I think the presidential run should be the end of the "rumors," since there's no way he'd run if he thought it could expose something he's trying to hide, especially since he clearly wants to remain in the senate for years to come.

Given the dual hatred from the left and the hard right, he would have been outed already if there was anything to find. He lives in SC, which unquestionably has the most openly dirty politics in the US. One of his primary opponents this past race said Graham was gay, but obviously couldn't substantiate it (it was just said to inject the idea into voter's minds). People make fun of the way he speaks, but if you're from the Carolinas then his accent and mannerisms wouldn't be unfamiliar to you.

A NYT profile of him a couple years back seemed to suggest that his getting married once his political career got off the ground was hopeless because he literally worked non-stop.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 08:24:21 AM »

My only concern would be, if folks are so hung about his sexuality, and not actually be discussing the issues that really affect the world or the United States,  e.g. is he going to take out ISIS once and for all, clean up Obama's messes & be competent enough not be using private email accounts for government business  like a certain individual we all know of...but will not be mentioned & is not as sexist or hypocritical as that same individual is, as to have paid female members of his Senate staff, less than there male counterparts? Hey Clinton looks like the perfect Democratic nominee in my book.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »

I doubt it, those things aren't as big of an issue anymore and are pretty much accepted. If he is gay (IF) I don't think it will be a big deal at all, anyone that trys to bring it up in a negative way will be harshly criticized.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »

If he is gay there would be an issue considering he is anti-gay marriage and anti-gay on alot of other things.

At least, however, he hasn't been as vocal as some on gay issues.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 10:56:20 AM »

I think the gay issue,  I'm glad to say can't be defined as a lifestyle choice; it's a human sexuality concept, just like heterosexuality is. What ever his positions are on anti - gay marriage,  well that's a political & social issues: he'd have to defend his position on that,  in the same way Hillary will have to justify paying female employees on her Senate staff,  a lower rate than there male counterparts. If it turns out that Graham & Clinton are facing off in the general, both issues would be neutralized, if Hillary raised the anti gay marriage position that Graham holds, he could raise the gender inequality issue as it related to Hillary's hiring practices.  She wouldn't like to be effectively muzzled on one of my issues, whereas Lindsey Graham can use his homosexuality in the same way Jack Kennedy used his Roman Catholic faith as a protective shield,  by going for tolerance vs. Intolerance.  Yep I love it☺ Republicans have the best of both worlds.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »

Who's snooping? But please there are more important issues than if Graham is gay or not; the issue was brought up; but when a Republican contributor to forum; poses the view its a none issue or even adds a commentary on the issue,  it becomes snooping,  personally couldn't give a crap if Lindsey Graham is bisexual,  heterosexual or homosexual, it's his business.  So if you like apples,  hope you like those apples 😎
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »

It'd be a favorite punchline among late night television hosts, but very little attention will be paid to it by the mainstream media.

Perhaps Lindsey Graham is using a 2016 presidential campaign as a way to bring high visibility to GLBT Republicans?  Maybe he's planning on coming-out after SCOTUS strikes down all statewide bans this summer?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »

He's almost certainly not gay, though, in the sense that he is not sleeping with men, and has not at least since he entered public life.

How can you say that with any confidence? Plenty of men do so without ever being exposed. We can say neither that he almost certainly is sleeping with men or isn't. I resent the idea that it's a slur or insult to say he may be.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 07:55:32 AM »

He's almost certainly not gay, though, in the sense that he is not sleeping with men, and has not at least since he entered public life.

How can you say that with any confidence? Plenty of men do so without ever being exposed. We can say neither that he almost certainly is sleeping with men or isn't.

How can you say it with confidence about anyone, by that standard?

I can say it with a reasonable amount of confidence given the information I provided in my post. He lives in a state and is in a party where his homosexuality would have been exposed, particularly since both the left and hard-right hate him. There has been no credible source pointing to Graham being gay; the only thing people point to is the fact that he's unmarried and they think his accent is effeminate. I don't think his accent is particularly effeminate and I know plenty of men who speak like he does and they're straight. The reasons he and those who know him give for his being unmarried are also reasonable.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »

Non-issue unless he shows extreme homophobia and gets exposed as gay.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »

How can you say it with confidence about anyone, by that standard?

Based on whether they are married to a woman, whether they have had biological children, whether their marriage is known to be affectionate and passionate (which can be demonstrated many ways outside the bedroom); if they are single, whether they have had relationships with women, and the women aren't notorious for being beards for closeted gay men.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies