Senate Republicans write a letter to Iran
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:19:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate Republicans write a letter to Iran
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Senate Republicans write a letter to Iran  (Read 8531 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 12:11:59 AM »
« edited: March 11, 2015, 12:15:14 AM by Speaker of the South Maxwell »

What a bunch of knuckleheads.

And god damn it Rand Paul. Get your ish together.

At the rate he's going he'll be a punchline for a epic fumble candidate BEFORE IOWA.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 12:50:48 AM »

I think what the Senators are so confused about isn't where ratification powers lie...

It's that what the Iran talks are discussing is not a treaty and does not involve a treaty and never will require Congressional ratification.

Obama may ask Congress to drop sanctions depending on how the deal turns out, but that isn't a treaty.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Republicans admit that Iran letter was a dumb idea.

Trolls.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »

If they are now trying to say they sent the letter as a joke, sending joke letters to foreign diplomats is even more scandalous than sending serious letters.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »

If they are now trying to say they sent the letter as a joke, sending joke letters to foreign diplomats is even more scandalous than sending serious letters.

Republicans are only humorous unintentionally,  anyway.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »

It says everything you need to know about the GOP that they are trying to defend themselves from accusations of treason by pleading immaturity and incompetence.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »

Republicans are only humorous unintentionally,  anyway.

Disingenuously claiming that something was a joke is generally the Republican line of defense when one of them says something horrible about race or gender, and it works more often than not. Considering that the purpose of this letter and the Netanyahu speech is to turn Israel into yet another Culture War wedge issue to be wielded against Democrats, that they would fall back on this isn't at all surprising.

Of course, the very real danger here is that it will undermine Democratic support for Israel in the long run, leading future Democratic administrations and congresses to assert more pressure on Israel on issues like settlements and Arab Israeli civil rights. Paradoxically, this may push Israel to reach a peace agreement that will guarantee its long-term survival, though almost certainly not on terms that the current Israeli government or its Christian Zionist supporters would like.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »

"lol we were trying to undermine peace talks as a joke Smiley"

And they wonder why liberals are the only ones who are good at political humor.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »

Rubio thinks that we're going easy on ISIS to not upset Iran. Idiot warmongers shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Senate.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/kerry-teaches-rubio-the-basics-about-the-middle-east
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »

And god damn it Rand Paul. Get your ish together.

So much for Paul not being a warmonger.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »

Hardly a shock, though.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:03 PM »

Rubio thinks that we're going easy on ISIS to not upset Iran. Idiot warmongers shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Senate.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/kerry-teaches-rubio-the-basics-about-the-middle-east

I want to give Rubio the benefit of the doubt and say that he only said that because millions of dumb conservatives will believe it. There's no way he's actually that stupid.

"Is this person a liar or his he stupid" is something I have to ask myself a lot when hearing GOP members speak.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2015, 08:31:19 PM »

I give nobody the benefit of the doubt on this scandal. Not the politicians involved, not their financial backers, and certainly not the PR people who hide the brutal agenda of right-wing pols.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »

I'm starting to give up on the idea that he actually has a spine. Shameful.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2015, 09:58:32 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2015, 10:11:04 PM by anvi »

Ok, well, it seems that Cotton has been the source of even weirder things from the House.  Apparently others have heard of this, but I didn't before today, so I'm posting it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/03/11/for-tom-cotton-letter-to-iran-is-anything-but-a-fiasco/

"While in the House in 2013, Cotton introduced an amendment to prosecute the relatives of those who violated sanctions on Iran, saying that his proposed penalties of up to 20 years in prison would 'include a spouse and any relative to the third degree,' including 'parents, children, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, grandparents, great grandparents, grandkids, great grandkids.' Forget about the fact that the Constitution expressly prohibits 'corruption of blood' penalties — just consider that Cotton wanted to take someone who had violated sanctions and imprison their grandchildren. Needless to say, this deranged piece of legislation was too much even for Republicans to stomach, and it went nowhere."
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »

Ok, well, it seems that Cotton has been the source of even weirder things from the House.  Apparently others have heard of this, but I didn't before today, so I'm posting it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/03/11/for-tom-cotton-letter-to-iran-is-anything-but-a-fiasco/

"While in the House in 2013, Cotton introduced an amendment to prosecute the relatives of those who violated sanctions on Iran, saying that his proposed penalties of up to 20 years in prison would 'include a spouse and any relative to the third degree,' including 'parents, children, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, grandparents, great grandparents, grandkids, great grandkids.' Forget about the fact that the Constitution expressly prohibits 'corruption of blood' penalties — just consider that Cotton wanted to take someone who had violated sanctions and imprison their grandchildren. Needless to say, this deranged piece of legislation was too much even for Republicans to stomach, and it went nowhere."

Dear god.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »

I mean, don't people get reputations on the Hill after proposing "blood guilt" amendments like that?  Even if they win elections and all, shouldn't 40+ Senators at least think twice before signing onto a letter authored by someone who has proven himself an absolute crackpot? 

I dunno, folks.  I've read two political stories today.  One was this one.  The other was about Zhu Weiqun, a Chinese Communist Party official with some oversight regarding Tibet issues, authoring a statement declaring that the next reincarnation of the Dalai Lama would be decided by China's central government.  It's the kind of day that makes me think all political reporting should be done only by the Daily Show and the Onion, because the world is just too bizarre for anything else now.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2015, 12:11:52 AM »

Cotton's amendment was intended that the relatives of the Iranian officials under sanctions to be under financial sanctions also, not that any family member would be imprisoned. Considering the US has at times placed entire countries under harsh sanctions for the sins of a few it's hardly unprecedented even if morally problematic.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2015, 12:46:01 AM »

As I understand it, the text of Cotton's proposed amendment included prison sentences, which would presumably be given to non-citizen relatives of those found violating sanctions living in the U.S., as such sentences couldn't be imposed in Iran.  The sentences would be imposed "automatically" without investigation and extended to relatives of the third degree.  The text thus violated several provisions of the Constitution and SCOTUS decisions dating back to the late 19th century, which assure due process even to non-citizens.  This was pointed out to Cotton by fellow committee members at the markup meeting before he withdrew the amendment. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2015, 01:30:23 AM »

As I understand it, the text of Cotton's proposed amendment included prison sentences, which would presumably be given to non-citizen relatives of those found violating sanctions living in the U.S., as such sentences couldn't be imposed in Iran.  The sentences would be imposed "automatically" without investigation and extended to relatives of the third degree.  The text thus violated several provisions of the Constitution and SCOTUS decisions dating back to the late 19th century, which assure due process even to non-citizens.  This was pointed out to Cotton by fellow committee members at the markup meeting before he withdrew the amendment. 

Cotton claimed it did not establish any prison sentences, but I can't say for sure as I have not seen the text of the amendment.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 03:11:20 AM »

Thank you Senate Republicans.  You sure help Iran recognize the power of the American military and know that the best path forward is giving in to the US' every demand.  Even hardliners in Iran are giving in.
Okay, that was sarcasm.  My takeaways from this fiasco is (1) the Senate GOP still wants to meddle in the Iran talks, (2) their constant efforts to scuttle talks show that their will to disregard President Obama is reaching new heights, and (3) they seem to be energizing those who want no deal back in Iran.

This behavior is embarrassing the US.  These 47 Senate Republicans are being treated like little children - and deservedly so.  Netanyahu said in his speech that "if Iran wants to be treated like a normal country, let it be treated like a normal country"; now, does this chime with their childish behavior on their part?  Do you treat a normal country like that?  Oh, let's send Russia a letter warning it over human rights violations - that's a great idea!  I don't agree with those words or the overall theme of his speech, but this stands as an example for the brinkmanship of the GOP Senate majority on the Iran issue.  Of course, from their worldview, such stunts are justified, so thankfully we don't have to look far for answers as to why they would take such an extreme step as to send a letter to Iran.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 03:15:49 AM »

Dear god.

I try not to use the word "literally" lightly. This is literally something that North Korea would do and in fact does on a regular basis.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2015, 12:55:31 AM »

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted here.

A retired general rips Cotton to shreds:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
t_host1

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »

One of the unfortunate outcomes of pen mates these days is that there is no postage due. Imagine the value of a few purple heart forever stamps, postmarked envelope, with the written contents pointing out that their partner Obama has failed; a historic capitalist ideal.  When I first heard of the letter, that was what I was thinking of, route of postmarks-handling-Islam telling the world how the US says how it is going to work, I don’t think so. When Obama sends letters to his leaders we are only told of it, the contents are that of interpreter’s.   

John Kerry tells too us that it is responsible to make a deal, a written political deal on Irans’ nuclear bomb making. The signatories of agreement being Russia, China, Obama and other adversaries’ of the USA are challenged by the republic order. Deemed unprecedented by the WH, said to be an unconstitutional act by John Kerry, with, the progressed to the left Democrat fears of war, is, being lettered back by Islam as mutual destruction of America(n) politics. Clearly, if only possible, more republic letters of order are necessary; it’s just that I can only recall one talk that walked back mass murder and conquest being resolved, the Ronaldo Maximus star war deployment. 

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies