Do you feel sorry for the white liberals in Birmingham, Alabama? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:45:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you feel sorry for the white liberals in Birmingham, Alabama? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you feel sorry for the white liberals in Birmingham, Alabama?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Do you feel sorry for the white liberals in Birmingham, Alabama?  (Read 2622 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:47:42 AM »

God Yes. There's enough pockets of them but they all still must be miserable. It's not even like Atlanta or Austin where they still dominate the immediate area. Just all around miserable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »

I live in Minneapolis so I'm very used to everyone around me having the same political views. It'd feel weird to not have that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:47:15 PM »

I live in Minneapolis so I'm very used to everyone around me having the same political views. It'd feel weird to not have that.
Wait, you don't live in the former Bachman's district???

No I never had her represent me thankfully.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:39:52 PM »

Is BRTD suggesting white liberals can't be friends with black liberals Huh

Black liberals sure, but this is Alabama, they might vote Democratic but that doesn't make most of the blacks there liberal. Although to be fair you're probably a lot more likely to find them in Birmingham than in the rural black parts of Alabama.

1. Do you commonly discuss politics with "everybody?"
2. Life is all about steping outside your comfort zone and trying new things and meeting new sorts of people. I can't imagine insisting that all your neighbors think just like you.

I don't discuss it with everyone, but you can glean info easily in this age. Bumper stickers and what people post on Facebook. I see only liberal stuff on Facebook (some of it pretty stupid in all fairness, but nowhere near as stupid as the right wing nonsense I hear about), and can kind of safely assume every person I meet is some generic liberal type. It came up at my work a bunch in 2012 especially when the debates were on in the break room and everyone was cheering on for Obama and laughing at Romney. Also it's quite nice to be able to safely assume that people aren't Birthers or think the Tea Party is anything but f[inks]ing idiotic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 12:59:13 AM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

Actually I'm now convinced the exit poll that showed Obama in 2008 with just 10% of the white vote in Alabama had to be way off. I can't see that as possible with the county breakdown and even statewide numbers.

Obama had to get around just under 20% of the white vote each time, like about 18%. It's actually possible to draw a majority white (around 52% is what I got) state house district that voted over 71% for Obama in Birmingham. I was also able to draw a 60% Obama majority white district in Huntsville. And wow I found a >90% white precinct in Huntsville that Obama won! (granted with just 50% but still it's just 3% black!)

So how about Montgomery and Mobile? In Mobile I was able to get an over 53% Obama district that was also over 53% white and in Montgomery a just barely majority white district that gave Obama 54%. But these numbers are more consistent with Obama winning only about 10% of the white vote. Also worth noting the Mobile district had a generic R average, implying it would probably vote Republican in any non-presidential year. I should also point neither district would likely withstand VRA scrutiny since they are based around what's best described as "rather conservative but with a non-neglible white Democratic population" supermajority white precincts and then padded with very heavily black areas nearby.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »

Of course, I doubt BRTD feels sorry for conservatives in San Francisco (white or otherwise) despite an almost identical situation.

Not really. I do sometimes wonder who the 162 people who voted for Romney in my precinct are (who make up only 8.15% of 2012 voters and are outnumbered more than 10:1 by Obama voters) and how they feel about living here, but "feeling sorry for them" is not something I'd say I feel.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 01:06:11 AM »

On that note, I do actually feel sorry for Doug Jones. Or rather I did before he became a Senator, he came out well on that, but in the years running up to that it had to be pretty rough for him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 12:38:17 PM »

Well now my answer is no because they're so close to such a killer f[inks]ing fest and can easily attend!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies