WI: Walker signs "right-to-work" legislation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:36:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WI: Walker signs "right-to-work" legislation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WI: Walker signs "right-to-work" legislation  (Read 1711 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »

The next step is a national Duty-to-Starve law. Then legislation to allow employers to avoid having to deal with unions.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 11:19:10 PM »

Walker is the wind beneath my wings.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 11:41:41 PM »

K. I must ask. What is wrong with RTW?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 12:27:47 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 01:25:13 AM by Wulfric »

I think RTW is okay if we do it the right way. Here's my ideal RTW bill:

1. Paying Union Dues is optional to work at a given business, but it is required to receive union-negotiated pay, benefits, etc. (It's unfair for people who pay Union dues to receive the exact same package as people who don't bother to pay such dues. Those who don't pay dues must negotiate directly with the business for which they work. People shouldn't be forced to join unions as a condition of employment, and by the same token, Unions shouldn't be forced to provide any union-negotiated benefits to those not paying union dues.)
2. Yellow Dog Contracts, or any other contract which prohibits workers from forming or joining unions, would not be allowed (this would help ensure that Unions available yet optional, which I believe should be the goal of RTW.)
3. A statement along the lines of "In no way shall this bill be construed to say that Unions are generally bad or should be prohibited. It just allows people to choose whether they want to be a part of them and the benefits they may include, nothing more and nothing less."

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 12:29:15 AM »

1. Paying Union Dues is optional to work at a given business, but it is required to receive union-negotiated pay, benefits, etc. (It's unfair for people who pay Union dues to receive the exact same package as people who don't bother to pay such dues. Those who don't pay dues must negotiate directly with the business for which they work. People shouldn't be forced to join unions as a condition of employment, and by the same token, Unions shouldn't be forced to provide any union-negotiated benefits to those not paying union dues.)
2. Yellow Dog Contracts, which prohibit workers from forming or joining unions, would not be allowed (this would help ensure that Unions available yet optional, which I believe should be the goal of RTW.)
3. A statement along the lines of "In no way shall this bill be construed to say that Unions are generally bad or should be prohibited. It just allows people to choose whether they want to be a part of them and the benefits they may include, nothing more and nothing less."

Or you could just do nothing. The whole necessity of laws like this is a false dilemma.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:23 AM »

2. Yellow Dog Contracts, which prohibit workers from forming or joining unions, would not be allowed (this would help ensure that Unions available yet optional, which I believe should be the goal of RTW.)

Or you could just do nothing. The whole necessity of laws like this is a false dilemma.

The current culture is one where people are often told "Join the Union, or you can't work here." Why should people be required to join unions as a condition of employment?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 01:12:33 AM »

Yellow dog contracts are already illegal in private employment and have been since 1932.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 01:24:33 AM »

Yellow dog contracts are already illegal in private employment and have been since 1932.
Doesn't Walmart prohibit unionization? They may not call it a yellow dog contract, but it's effectively the same thing.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »

Yellow dog contracts are already illegal, but the law isn't enforced.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »

Yellow dog contracts are already illegal, but the law isn't enforced.
Then ban all similar contracts and enforce the law.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »

The current culture is one where people are often told "Join the Union, or you can't work here." Why should people be required to join unions as a condition of employment?

I work for a company where people are often told "wear business casual attire, or you can't work here." Why should be required to dress a certain way as a condition of employment? I don't know. It's the company policy. If you don't like it, don't work there.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »

Also, if a company has a union, it's because most workers there voted for it.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »

Good stuff
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »

I work for a company where people are often told "wear business casual attire, or you can't work here." Why should be required to dress a certain way as a condition of employment? I don't know. It's the company policy. If you don't like it, don't work there.
Monarch, is there anything you agree with your party on? You come off as more of a mainstream democrat than a republican.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »

There's nothing conservative or capitalistic about right to work. The system as is works just fine.

I don't want to join a union, so I don't work for a union company. I don't see why I need this law protecting me.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »

There's nothing conservative or capitalistic about right to work. The system as is works just fine.

I don't want to join a union, so I don't work for a union company. I don't see why I need this law protecting me.
So you don't have to abruptly change jobs if your workplace ever becomes unionized.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 07:37:33 PM »

So you don't have to abruptly change jobs if your workplace ever becomes unionized.

So, when Obama became President, Republicans voters should have been allowed to get McCain as president? The majority of the workers voted for an union, so, workers get an union. It's called democracy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:44 PM »

Wulfric, why should employers be forced deal with employees one at a time?  I tend to be small-l libertarian, but I see no problem with allowing closed shops, let alone the agency shops that right-to-work laws ban.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies