Hungarian shopping ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:10:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hungarian shopping ban
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hungarian shopping ban  (Read 2142 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/hungarians-face-ban-shopping-most-sundays-nights-182159188.html

What the hell is up with that?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »

A mixture of fake Christianity with some sort of a South Pacific cargo cult. You know, they have had this in many European countries as a holdover from the times when Sunday was for going to Church. Naturally, Hungary, having been Communist, lost this endearing bit of insanity. So, as the government is dismantling the modernity, trying to recreate the country as the fascist paradise from the 1930s, they discovered this. Naturally, this will make the other Europeans (busy trying to get rid of this legacy) think of Hungary as the properly European nation. Or so thinketh Victor Orban.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »

I see the unions oppose this, but generally it has been unions wanting a closing law to protect their members from having to work on odd hours, which ruins family life.

There is nothing odd about this.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 01:27:12 PM »

You realize that there are many European countries in which Sunday shopping either is mostly prohibited or was until fairly recently?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:17 PM »

And when where the bans have been repealed there are still restrictions in some cases; in England and Wales shops larger than 3000 square foot can only open for six hours on a Sunday.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »

You realize that there are many European countries in which Sunday shopping either is mostly prohibited or was until fairly recently?

He does not. Indeed, no sane human being can imagine this, unless he has had a personal experience Smiley I will never forget the first full day of my year in Madrid. Landed on Saturday night with family, into a prearranged furnished apartment with an empty fridge. And then there was Sunday morning Smiley
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:08:50 PM »

In the United States, some localities won't allow the sale of alcohol on Sundays but that's it. Even with that though, it's the law but basically every single person thinks it's stupid except for bar owners.

Never would we imagine closing stores on Sunday. Hell, hypothetically that's when people are supposed to be off work and have a chance to actually go shopping. Why would you inconvenience people on 50% of their days off?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 02:10:30 PM »

In the United States, some localities won't allow the sale of alcohol on Sundays but that's it. Even with that though, it's the law but basically every single person thinks it's stupid except for bar owners.

Never would we imagine closing stores on Sunday. Hell, hypothetically that's when people are supposed to be off work and have a chance to actually go shopping. Why would you inconvenience people on 50% of their days off?

Sure, but why would you imagine Hungary to be anything like the US?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »

Sure, but why would you imagine Hungary to be anything like the US?

I wouldn't assume anyone would ban shopping on Sunday because it's universally stupid.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:41:29 PM »

Good.

Sunday and night shopping needs to be banned and thankfully I live in a country were it is.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »

Good.

Sunday and night shopping needs to be banned and thankfully I live in a country were it is.
A backwards and unnecessary way to do things.  It was a serious major drawback of Germany and Austria...how much the church encroaches on your life
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »

This isn't particularly out of the ordinary. I'm relatively neutral on it. It can be an inconvenience, but it is nice to have a universal day of the week where almost everyone is off work.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 02:51:39 PM »

Good.

A backwards and unnecessary way to do things.  It was a serious major drawback of Germany and Austria...how much the church encroaches on your life

I don't see what the church has to do with it.

Take me for example, someone who hates the church and still wants Sunday shopping banned.

A) Like Charlotte said, it ruins family life because with the Sunday ban families have at least 1 common day off each week where they can do something together. Also, with Sunday work it would be almost impossible to do something with friends as we would all have other days off from work and not a common one.

B) people can shop for 6 days, so a 7th is not needed.

C) In the case of Austria, an employer would have to pay 200% the wage to an employee working on Sundays, much like someone who works on a public holiday ("Feiertagszuschlag"), making Sunday work basically a zero-sum game for the employers with virtually more losses than revenue.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »

Good.

A backwards and unnecessary way to do things.  It was a serious major drawback of Germany and Austria...how much the church encroaches on your life

I don't see what the church has to do with it.

Take me for example, someone who hates the church and still wants Sunday shopping banned.

A) Like Charlotte said, it ruins family life because with the Sunday ban families have at least 1 common day off each week where they can do something together. Also, with Sunday work it would be almost impossible to do something with friends as we would all have other days off from work and not a common one.

B) people can shop for 6 days, so a 7th is not needed.

C) In the case of Austria, an employer would have to pay 200% the wage to an employee working on Sundays, much like someone who works on a public holiday ("Feiertagszuschlag"), making Sunday work basically a zero-sum game for the employers with virtually more losses than revenue.

A) I think if you're going to have family time, it should be organic, not just "oh well, everything is closed, I guess we have to talk to each other"

B) 5 of those 6 days, they are working, so it's mucher harder to shop. Also, just the idea that you can ban a harmless activity one day of the week because it's legal "for 6 days" is ridiculous logic you wouldn't apply to any other issue. Let's ban public protests one day of the week. It's okay, you can have freedom of assembly 6 other days.

C) That's a pretty harsh law. You could 1) get rid of it 2) keep it but still give people the freedom to stay open. Plus, they'll make plenty of money if they're on the few places open.

Seriously, this is a crazy law. I can't believe people are defending this. I assume it's just a knee jerk defense of their own local traditions.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »

Seriously, this is a crazy law. I can't believe people are defending this. I assume it's just a knee jerk defense of their own local traditions.

It's not so much a defense on the merit of the law (although only saying there are actual arguments in favor) as drawing attention to the fact that it isn't a particularly radical thing in Europe. Orban has done quite a few radical things, but this isn't one of them.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »

Sunday shopping has been legal in my province for only a decade. This isn't that odd.

I prefer Sunday as a day of rest for obvious reason, but there are plenty of non-religious reasons to close shops one day a week.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:58:48 PM »

Sunday shopping has been legal in my province for only a decade. This isn't that odd.

I prefer Sunday as a day of rest for obvious reason, but there are plenty of non-religious reasons to close shops one day a week.

There might be reasons businesses choose not to open their stores on Sunday, is that a reason to mandate closing by law?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »

There might be reasons businesses choose not to open their stores on Sunday, is that a reason to mandate closing by law?

You could say the same thing about paid sick leave and health insurance. Not having to work odd hours is a benefit to workers.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 05:22:31 PM »

You could say the same thing about paid sick leave and health insurance. Not having to work odd hours is a benefit to workers.

Working Sunday isn't anymore odd than working any other day. Why not mandate no one work after 5? I agree people in the service industry have it rough, their schedules get moved around too much but it's the nature of the industry that the hours have to be SOMEWHAT odd. Stores need to be open when people aren't working and have time to shop. Sunday is one of those times.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »

Working Sunday isn't anymore odd than working any other day. Why not mandate no one work after 5? I agree people in the service industry have it rough, their schedules get moved around too much but it's the nature of the industry that the hours have to be SOMEWHAT odd. Stores need to be open when people aren't working and have time to shop. Sunday is one of those times.

Well, people in those countries are used to it, so they already know how to find time. They aren't busy all the time worshipping the Holy Dollar.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2015, 05:41:23 PM by Famous Mortimer »

Again, "people can get used to the inconvenience" isn't a very good argument for making a law.

Let's ban laundromats on Wednesdays. No taking a shower after 9pm. It's stupid but don't worry, people will get used to it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »

But most people would rather do their routine shopping on Saturdays or after work. I don't know anyone who does it on a Sunday.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 11:10:40 PM »

But most people would rather do their routine shopping on Saturdays or after work. I don't know anyone who does it on a Sunday.

Well, and I do most of my shopping on Sundays: but, of course, I normally live in countries where this is allowed. In Madrid, mercifully, there were a few migrant stores that ignored the law - I did a disproportionate amount of shopping there.

BTW, and what would a Jew be supposed to do? He cannot shop on a Saturday.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 01:05:17 AM »

Well, and I do most of my shopping on Sundays: but, of course, I normally live in countries where this is allowed. In Madrid, mercifully, there were a few migrant stores that ignored the law - I did a disproportionate amount of shopping there.

He could on Saturday evening between sunset and 10pm under the Hungarian law  Or for that matter go to those stores that would be allowed to remain open.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »

He could on Saturday evening between sunset and 10pm under the Hungarian law  Or for that matter go to those stores that would be allowed to remain open.

A bit restrictive, isn't it?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies