Are the vast majority of Oklahomans not racist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:22:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are the vast majority of Oklahomans not racist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ??
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Are the vast majority of Oklahomans not racist?  (Read 2683 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2015, 03:27:26 PM »

pls respond
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »

No. The State of Red-People hold no racial insensitivities.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »

I haven't spent much time in Oklahoma, but I suspect people there are just like everywhere else. They'll swear up and down they're not, but live in a neighborhood or send their kids to school full of those people? Inks, please!
Worth noting out that those people are a bit of a rarity in Oklahoma. Just like elsewhere outside the Deep South and major metro areas elsewhere, people may have very limited experience with those people. I'm not sure exactly how that colors one's judgement, but I remain certain that my first paragraph, nonetheless, remains true.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:35:26 PM »

I haven't spent much time in Oklahoma, but I suspect people there are just like everywhere else. They'll swear up and down they're not, but live in a neighborhood or send their kids to school full of those people? Inks, please!
Worth noting out that those people are a bit of a rarity in Oklahoma. Just like elsewhere outside the Deep South and major metro areas elsewhere, people may have very limited experience with those people. I'm not sure exactly how that colors one's judgement, but I remain certain that my first paragraph, nonetheless, remains true.

Contrary to everyone's opinions of Oklahoma, there are sizeable African-American populations all over Oklahoma and especially in Oklahoma City and Tulsa and they are accepted and treated just like a white person.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

they are accepted and treated just like a white person.

No.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 03:40:33 PM »

Contrary to everyone's opinions of Oklahoma, there are sizeable African-American populations all over Oklahoma and especially in Oklahoma City and Tulsa and they are accepted and treated just like a white person.

How many African-Americans live in your neighborhood, or your parent's neighborhood?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »

Show me proof.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »

How many African-Americans live in your neighborhood, or your parent's neighborhood?

A fair amount in both.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:54 PM »

Racism can assume more values than simply "racist" or "not racist". If that were the case, the vast majority everywhere would belong to the former.

There are varying degrees of racism. I'm relatively confident that Oklahoma is higher on the scale than most US states, but it's an average and I wouldn't be too quick to claim a majority even there are full blown racists.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »

Everyone is a little bit racist!

Tulsa, interestingly, was one of the early centers of the black middle class until white people utterly destroyed the black part of town in a race riot.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »

Tulsa, interestingly, was one of the early centers of the black middle class until white people utterly destroyed the black part of town in a race riot.

The Tulsa Race Riots were way back in the 1920s, and has no correlation on the Tulsans of 2015.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »

The Tulsa Race Riots were way back in the 1920s, and has no correlation on the Tulsans of 2015.

Other than they are the grandchildren/great grandchildren of these people, no correlation, yes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »

Show you proof that blacks are treated differently from whites? Ummmm...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me that Bushie is one of those White privilege deniers.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 04:19:41 PM »

Some people certainly think it is:

http://www.thetoptens.com/most-racists-states-us/oklahoma-459206.asp

No. 9 on their list.

Not necessarily representative of course, but still an indication.

Top 10

MS
AL
TX
TN
GA
LA
KY
FL
OK
AR
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »

Other than they are the grandchildren/great grandchildren of these people, no correlation, yes.

Other than family heritage, there are very few ideological similarities between the generation in 1921 and the generation of 2015.

This is a national embarrassment, but anybody with a brain would know that these numbskull flimwads are not representative of the vast majority of Oklahomans.  We are a state that promotes racial and gender equality.  Admittedly, we still have a ways to go in sexual-orientation equality, but we're even making some strides there, too, by the legalization of gay marriage and the majority of people at least getting comfortable with that.  The good news for Oklahomans is that Sally Kern is term-limited and therefore cannot run again after her term is up.  Her husband, Steve, also lost in his State Senate primary race last summer.  I know Sally and Steve quite well and they are genuinely very nice people, they just have hateful politics.  I am very disappointed and do not approve of their politics.  I approve and love them as people.  The rest of the state is starting to come to grips with the new world that we are living in.  A lot still don't like it, but I haven't heard a whole lot of pushback and even hearing voices of support for Oklahoma's legalization of same-sex marriage.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:36:40 PM »

Whose town hasn't had a nasty race riot at some point? The Census Bureau will back up my claim that those people are uncommon in OK. It's not such a hard thing to look up...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 04:39:29 PM »

Whose town hasn't had a nasty race riot at some point? The Census Bureau will back up my claim that those people are uncommon in OK. It's not such a hard thing to look up...

We may not have as big of a black population in Oklahoma as in other areas of the Southeast, but I can tell you from visual experience there is still a sizeable number of blacks.  The vast majority of us treat them with the same respect and dignity that we treat other white people or people of other ethnicities.

Every city across the country has their fair share of idiots who are racist and bigoted, but they are a minority.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »

Obviously, Oklahoma is far less racist than it was in 1920 or 1980.  

I think we sort of fall victim to using the word racist to mean a lot of different things.  More conservative people tend to use racist to mean, openly hateful of a certain race or believing in their innate or genetic inferiority to your race.  That still exists, but is thankfully not a common perspective.  That is a totally awful thing to be and it's disgusting.  

Then, there's more subtle racism which is just exists just in the consciousness of race in America.  We all have preconceptions about what race means and says about a person, just from living in America I think.  That goes for every race of people, liberals, conservatives, everyone.  That's not necessarily an insult to us personally, you can't just not see race or consciously correct for racism.  But, it's something to be aware of, especially when you're not the group that's the victim.

So, that makes this all very complicated and touchy, but yes, everyone in America is a tiny bit racist, as is everyone in the world.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »

Are the vast majority of Oklahomans numbskull flimwads?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 04:47:55 PM »

Are the vast majority of Oklahomans numbskull flimwads?

Of course not.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »

No. 9 on their list.

Top 10

MS
AL
TX
TN
GA
LA
KY
FL
OK
AR

That list looks about right.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »

No. 9 on their list.

Top 10

MS
AL
TX
TN
GA
LA
KY
FL
OK
AR

That list looks about right.

Kentucky worse than Arkansas?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »

I'm sure they think they're not. There are a lot of 'urbans' in OK.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 06:53:14 PM »

At this point, yes.

I honestly believe being Christian/Evangelical is far more important for social acceptance in Oklahoma.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies