U.S. senate to consider changing Marijuana status from Class 1 to Class 2 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:41:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. senate to consider changing Marijuana status from Class 1 to Class 2 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. senate to consider changing Marijuana status from Class 1 to Class 2  (Read 2941 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 10, 2015, 05:11:46 PM »

High potential for abuse? Based on what?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:13:48 PM »

High potential for abuse? Based on what?

The argument is that people are willing to break the law to get marijuana, so that constitutes a high potential for abuse. In any case a move to schedule 2 is long overdue, and clinical studies can provide the necessary evidence to further move marijuana to more appropriate classifications.

But what's the rationale for saying there's a higher potential for abuse now than before? Because some states legalized it and it's more readily available and accepted socially now? That seems crazy.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »

More specifically, though, I guess my problem is with this part of the Schedule II description:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Science doesn't support this at all. How is anyone supposed to take drug laws seriously if Congress is trying to legislate a falsehood into fact?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 07:03:32 PM »

...you're not going to buy from the dispensary when you can just pick up your pot over the counter at CVS or Safeway. Medicinal marijuana for actual sick people is going to have to become a much more serious and less easygoing process.

I doubt you're ever going to see a framework where you can buy weed at CVS or Safeway -- it's unlikely that major corporations are going to embrace the risk of selling the drug. You're much more likely to see the California/Colorado model, where weed is only available at licensed dispensaries (like how alcohol is only available at liquor stores in some states).

I think weed should be legal, but as a potential future parent, I wouldn't want to have it for sale in a location where I routinely bring my kids to buy aspirin or milk.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies