Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:18:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man  (Read 5388 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 06:32:33 PM »

The problem isn't the law, it's the punishment. I don't like being woken up at 5 am either, but no one deserves to go to jail over it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 06:49:26 PM by muon2 »

Crazy time in jail is not unique to the South. Here's a story from today in Cook county, IL.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The problem is often the court system and trial times, and the inability to distinguish between violent and non-violent offenders.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »

The only way this begins to make any sort of legal sense (legal sense, not common sense as I see no way for it make that) would if the sanitation company has structured itself so that its employees are technically "subcontractors".
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »

This is absurd and yet another example of jails and prisons overcrowded with nonviolent offenders whose wrongs really don't merit incarceration to begin with.

I seriously doubt McGill, of his own volition, went in to work extra early, fired up a garbage truck and went out during a restricted time. Some supervisor probably overlooked the restriction and sent this man out earlier than authorized. The article says he was a "new" employee which means he likely wouldn't have known better and certainly wouldn't have been in a position to contradict his managers. The company should be getting fined. And if the vengeful people of Georgia absolutely must throw someone in jail, why not the man's supervisor or whoever is highest up on the chain of command?

Furthermore, the fact that an upscale neighborhood won't allow trash collection before 7 am because they don't want to be woken up just feeds into the stereotypes about Southerners - including rich Southerners - being lazy. If you're an adult in a professional or managerial job and you're still in bed at 7 am, you probably don't deserve whatever salary you're being paid. The hedge fund managers in Manhattan have been up since before 6. How fitting that the descendants of slaveowners down in Dixie are taking a cue from their ancestors and sleeping in while the darkies outside do all the work.

If he was ordered to go out and work earlier than was legally allowed, his first move would have been to offer to sell his employers down the river.

Noise ordinances aren't unreasonable, and I doubt the neighborhood cared what his skin tone was when they called the police for waking them up earlier than he was allowed to. This isn't their fault at all. It's the fault of the prosecutor, who seems like a grandstanding asshole by going for the max.  You're absolutely right that this sums up the problem with clogging up our jails with non-violent offenders. There's no way a first-time noise ordinance violation should result in anything but a fine.

You don't think when these fine homeowners looked out the window that they took into account he is a black in suburban Atlanta?  Yea, the prosecutor is a total POS, but who the hell calls 911 or the cops on the trash guy?!

You're assuming that they were fast enough looking out the window after just being woken up to observe the driver rather than the back of his truck as they drove away.

If I was upset that the trash man came earlier than he was supposed to, I would call the trash collection company to complain. I wouldn't call the frickin' police or get the local district attorney involved.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:27 PM »

Guys, it wasn't like he was just 10 minutes early. He was 2 hours early.

Exactly!  30 days in jail isn't enough.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 08:59:11 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2015, 09:03:56 PM by True Federalist »

A city ordinance limits trash pickup to between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

I wish we had that.  Sonsabitches come around here while it's still dark.  Every Monday, rain or shine, I can hear them rattling about 30 feet from my window.  I'm a light sleeper, I suppose, because neither my son nor my wife complain of the noise, but it really irks me.

Still, I think his employer should be paying fines, not him.

At least it's not as bad as those "snow blowers."  Whoever invented them should be taken out and shot.  I've been shoveling the old-fashioned way for years.  Men have existed for hundreds of thousands of years without them.  They pollute the air with their foul smells.  My neighbor is an anasthesiologist, and he's on call frequently, so any time there's a snow he's out there with his machine "blowing" the snow.  Apparently there's no ordinance against it.  Oh, he's a nice enough guy, but goddammit, why don't people shut up at least until it's daylight.

I'm sorry for this sanitary worker and his family, but you know it had to come to a head and somebody had to be the fall guy.  He's sort of the Oliver North of the sanitation industry, I suppose.  Anyway, I'm glad it's out in the open now:  WE NEED SOME SLEEP.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 09:04:40 PM »

In addition to the obvious main outrage that others have noted, it's also crazy that a municipality has so little control over when its own garbage collectors are at work. Even if it is privatized, can't they threaten not to renew the company's contract?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »

In addition to the obvious main outrage that others have noted, it's also crazy that a municipality has so little control over when its own garbage collectors are at work. Even if it is privatized, can't they threaten not to renew the company's contract?

Who says there is a company contract?  There's nothing about trash collection that makes it an inherent monopoly.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »

Who says there is a company contract?  There's nothing about trash collection that makes it an inherent monopoly.

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »

Im with these guys. 5am is an absurd time for garbage collection no matter what your income level.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 09:33:16 PM »

Obviously someone contracted the company or they wouldn't be collecting the garbage, but that article doesn't say they were contracted by Sandy Springs, so it may not have been the municipality doing the contracting.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »

I looked it up on the municipal website, and it appears that you are right:

This is totally ridiculous and I would have never considered the idea that an incorporated municipality in a metro area would not provide garbage pickup, but there you are.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 09:50:08 PM »

I looked it up on the municipal website, and it appears that you are right:

This is totally ridiculous and I would have never considered the idea that an incorporated municipality in a metro area would not provide garbage pickup, but there you are.

Lo and behold the consequences of uber-privatized exurban life where there is little to no coordination between municipal government and the patchwork quilt of subdivisions and gated communities who all have their own outsourced "public" services.

Part of the problem may be that this particular development's management company (the people the residents pay their homeowner's association dues to) has some ulterior motive for keeping this contractor on garbage duty, such as kickbacks or some kind of investment in the business. Property management firms can be incredibly shady and most people who live in a community managed by one aren't even aware of it - they assume their checks are going to some little old lady who is volunteering to be the neighborhood treasurer or something.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »

I don't have a problem with the ordinance itself. But issuing penalties on the individual driver as opposed to the company itself seems unfair. The driver is stuck between violating the law or losing his job.

And even then, instead of imposing a fine this judge imposed jail??? A full 30 days no less?? That's insane! Even IF I could personally find some justification for punishing the individual driver I could only see a 30 day sentence with 28 suspended and a weekend to serve being fair, and ONLY IF the guy was a repeat offender. A fine should've been sufficient (again, preferably whack the company rather than the worker).

A month's jail?!? Yeah, the South sucks.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »

The city should license garbage pickup companies, and if they fail to follow the law, they should lose their license. Apparently the fines are not enough to stop company bad behavior. They could be made more Draconian, but for persistent offenders, it should be de-licensure. The employee should only be brought into it, is if he is violating company policy, and then, it should be a fine, not jail, at least for the first offense.

We really don't know enough facts here to sort all of this out, other than that the sentence seems Draconian. Perhaps due to a flaw in the law, the DA went after the wrong target.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »

If I were the company, I'd never visit that house again. Let him deal with his own garbage. Screw the whole WASP neighborhood.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »

There's nothing wrong with restricting the hours of garbage collection in a noise ordinance, though sentencing anyone to jail for it is absurd. Yeah Torie has the right idea here. Probably a combination of both the city not having a good municipal setup and licensing system with what Linus pointed out (which kind of makes sense because of "OMG BIG GOVERNMENT!") and an idiot DA.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »

Okay, before I read the article I'm going to assume this was in Forsyth County. 

(reading)

North Fulton.  Close enough.  The vicious nature of the Southern richneck knows no bounds. 

This is a miscarriage of justice for sure, but Sandy Springs is not a redneck place at all. It's country club Republicans combined with a corridor of poors of various ethnicities.

Did you read what I wrote? 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »

He should be guillotined.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/sandy-springs-sanitation-workers-jail-sentence-mod/nkSFG/

We got some news. The sentence has been modified to only be of the lenght of the time he alredy served. So, it's done for him.

The prosecutor also explains why they did that. Before, they were fining the corporations, as people here suggested, but corporations just paid the fines and continued to collect garbage at 5AM. So, it was a stunt to force garbage collectors to respect schedule.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/sandy-springs-sanitation-workers-jail-sentence-mod/nkSFG/

We got some news. The sentence has been modified to only be of the lenght of the time he alredy served. So, it's done for him.

The prosecutor also explains why they did that. Before, they were fining the corporations, as people here suggested, but corporations just paid the fines and continued to collect garbage at 5AM. So, it was a stunt to force garbage collectors to respect schedule.

Of course.  Don't throw the wealthies making these decisions in jail after the fine does nothing to deter their practices.  Take the poor black dude working at the bottom of the totem pole and lock him up for a few days.  HIGHLY preferable and much, much less reprehensible.  Can't throw our precious, wonderful rich people in jail with the untermenchen. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »

Of course.  Don't throw the wealthies making these decisions in jail after the fine does nothing to deter their practices.  Take the poor black dude working at the bottom of the totem pole and lock him up for a few days.  HIGHLY preferable and much, much less reprehensible.  Can't throw our precious, wonderful rich people in jail with the untermenchen. 

Well, technically, you couldn't throw the wealthies in jail anyways. You know than companies and their owners are legally separate entities and you can't jail a company.

It was a very poor decision from them, but Waste Management is claming its against their policies and than the employee is suspended because he violated such policies (they claim he decided to pick thm at this hour by his own choice). I have doubt he decided that, but, it may be right, I know people in some jobs where the important is than all job is done by the end of the day/week, they don't really care when. But, they have a duty to train and inform their employees about such laws.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »

OR, change the local ordinance to jack up the maximum fine (the max organizational penalty for a misdemeanor in Ohio is $5k for example), and THEN start slamming the sanitation companies with the max every time they violate the ordinance. I have a hard time thinking these corporations are going to blithely continue when their weekly run in a community suddenly costs an additional $5k (or even $1k).

I guess they took the easy way out and chose to simply terrify the working stiff just doing his job.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »

Well, technically, you couldn't throw the wealthies in jail anyways. You know than companies and their owners are legally separate entities and you can't jail a company.

It was a very poor decision from them, but Waste Management is claming its against their policies and than the employee is suspended because he violated such policies (they claim he decided to pick thm at this hour by his own choice). I have doubt he decided that, but, it may be right, I know people in some jobs where the important is than all job is done by the end of the day/week, they don't really care when. But, they have a duty to train and inform their employees about such laws.

So this little standard should apply to everybody in the company, no?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 06:11:19 PM »

Well, the worker was the one breaking the ordnance. He did noise at 5AM in Sandy Springs, as a person.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies