Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:45:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man  (Read 5460 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 10, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
« edited: March 10, 2015, 02:16:43 PM by HockeyDude »

Okay, before I read the article I'm going to assume this was in Forsyth County.  

(reading)

North Fulton.  Close enough.  The vicious nature of the Southern richneck knows no bounds. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »

America in 2015: the only greater injustice than a black man being thrown in jail for doing his job is if said black poor would ever do something so foul as to inconvenience a white wealthy by taking his trash away too early.  

And people get on the leftists for their combative language towards wealthies.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »

This is absurd and yet another example of jails and prisons overcrowded with nonviolent offenders whose wrongs really don't merit incarceration to begin with.

I seriously doubt McGill, of his own volition, went in to work extra early, fired up a garbage truck and went out during a restricted time. Some supervisor probably overlooked the restriction and sent this man out earlier than authorized. The article says he was a "new" employee which means he likely wouldn't have known better and certainly wouldn't have been in a position to contradict his managers. The company should be getting fined. And if the vengeful people of Georgia absolutely must throw someone in jail, why not the man's supervisor or whoever is highest up on the chain of command?

Furthermore, the fact that an upscale neighborhood won't allow trash collection before 7 am because they don't want to be woken up just feeds into the stereotypes about Southerners - including rich Southerners - being lazy. If you're an adult in a professional or managerial job and you're still in bed at 7 am, you probably don't deserve whatever salary you're being paid. The hedge fund managers in Manhattan have been up since before 6. How fitting that the descendants of slaveowners down in Dixie are taking a cue from their ancestors and sleeping in while the darkies outside do all the work.

If he was ordered to go out and work earlier than was legally allowed, his first move would have been to offer to sell his employers down the river.

Noise ordinances aren't unreasonable, and I doubt the neighborhood cared what his skin tone was when they called the police for waking them up earlier than he was allowed to. This isn't their fault at all. It's the fault of the prosecutor, who seems like a grandstanding asshole by going for the max.  You're absolutely right that this sums up the problem with clogging up our jails with non-violent offenders. There's no way a first-time noise ordinance violation should result in anything but a fine.

You don't think when these fine homeowners looked out the window that they took into account he is a black in suburban Atlanta?  Yea, the prosecutor is a total POS, but who the hell calls 911 or the cops on the trash guy?!
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »

This is absurd and yet another example of jails and prisons overcrowded with nonviolent offenders whose wrongs really don't merit incarceration to begin with.

I seriously doubt McGill, of his own volition, went in to work extra early, fired up a garbage truck and went out during a restricted time. Some supervisor probably overlooked the restriction and sent this man out earlier than authorized. The article says he was a "new" employee which means he likely wouldn't have known better and certainly wouldn't have been in a position to contradict his managers. The company should be getting fined. And if the vengeful people of Georgia absolutely must throw someone in jail, why not the man's supervisor or whoever is highest up on the chain of command?

Furthermore, the fact that an upscale neighborhood won't allow trash collection before 7 am because they don't want to be woken up just feeds into the stereotypes about Southerners - including rich Southerners - being lazy. If you're an adult in a professional or managerial job and you're still in bed at 7 am, you probably don't deserve whatever salary you're being paid. The hedge fund managers in Manhattan have been up since before 6. How fitting that the descendants of slaveowners down in Dixie are taking a cue from their ancestors and sleeping in while the darkies outside do all the work.

If he was ordered to go out and work earlier than was legally allowed, his first move would have been to offer to sell his employers down the river.

Noise ordinances aren't unreasonable, and I doubt the neighborhood cared what his skin tone was when they called the police for waking them up earlier than he was allowed to. This isn't their fault at all. It's the fault of the prosecutor, who seems like a grandstanding asshole by going for the max.  You're absolutely right that this sums up the problem with clogging up our jails with non-violent offenders. There's no way a first-time noise ordinance violation should result in anything but a fine.

You don't think when these fine homeowners looked out the window that they took into account he is a black in suburban Atlanta?  Yea, the prosecutor is a total POS, but who the hell calls 911 or the cops on the trash guy?!

Suburban Atlanta is a lot more diverse than you think.

Well, this is very much to do with an individual neighborhood, no?  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »

(reading)

North Fulton.  Close enough.  The vicious nature of the Southern richneck knows no bounds. 

This is a miscarriage of justice for sure, but Sandy Springs is not a redneck place at all. It's country club Republicans combined with a corridor of poors of various ethnicities.

Did you read what I wrote? 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/sandy-springs-sanitation-workers-jail-sentence-mod/nkSFG/

We got some news. The sentence has been modified to only be of the lenght of the time he alredy served. So, it's done for him.

The prosecutor also explains why they did that. Before, they were fining the corporations, as people here suggested, but corporations just paid the fines and continued to collect garbage at 5AM. So, it was a stunt to force garbage collectors to respect schedule.

Of course.  Don't throw the wealthies making these decisions in jail after the fine does nothing to deter their practices.  Take the poor black dude working at the bottom of the totem pole and lock him up for a few days.  HIGHLY preferable and much, much less reprehensible.  Can't throw our precious, wonderful rich people in jail with the untermenchen. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/sandy-springs-sanitation-workers-jail-sentence-mod/nkSFG/

We got some news. The sentence has been modified to only be of the lenght of the time he alredy served. So, it's done for him.

The prosecutor also explains why they did that. Before, they were fining the corporations, as people here suggested, but corporations just paid the fines and continued to collect garbage at 5AM. So, it was a stunt to force garbage collectors to respect schedule.

Of course.  Don't throw the wealthies making these decisions in jail after the fine does nothing to deter their practices.  Take the poor black dude working at the bottom of the totem pole and lock him up for a few days.  HIGHLY preferable and much, much less reprehensible.  Can't throw our precious, wonderful rich people in jail with the untermenchen. 

Well, technically, you couldn't throw the wealthies in jail anyways. You know than companies and their owners are legally separate entities and you can't jail a company.

It was a very poor decision from them, but Waste Management is claming its against their policies and than the employee is suspended because he violated such policies (they claim he decided to pick thm at this hour by his own choice). I have doubt he decided that, but, it may be right, I know people in some jobs where the important is than all job is done by the end of the day/week, they don't really care when. But, they have a duty to train and inform their employees about such laws.

So this little standard should apply to everybody in the company, no?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »

(reading)

This is a miscarriage of justice for sure, but Sandy Springs is not a redneck place at all. It's country club Republicans combined with a corridor of poors of various ethnicities.
Did you read what I wrote? 

Yes. Huh  Then what, pray tell, is a "richneck" if not a rich redneck?

A richneck has money.  This makes them very different than a redneck.  Both of these types attack everyone who is different, so that means the richneck is going to be vicious to the poor. 

Snowguy has it right. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies