Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:17:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Garbage man sentenced to 30 days in jail for waking up rich man  (Read 5433 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 11, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »

I don't have a problem with the ordinance itself. But issuing penalties on the individual driver as opposed to the company itself seems unfair. The driver is stuck between violating the law or losing his job.

And even then, instead of imposing a fine this judge imposed jail??? A full 30 days no less?? That's insane! Even IF I could personally find some justification for punishing the individual driver I could only see a 30 day sentence with 28 suspended and a weekend to serve being fair, and ONLY IF the guy was a repeat offender. A fine should've been sufficient (again, preferably whack the company rather than the worker).

A month's jail?!? Yeah, the South sucks.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/sandy-springs-sanitation-workers-jail-sentence-mod/nkSFG/

We got some news. The sentence has been modified to only be of the lenght of the time he alredy served. So, it's done for him.

The prosecutor also explains why they did that. Before, they were fining the corporations, as people here suggested, but corporations just paid the fines and continued to collect garbage at 5AM. So, it was a stunt to force garbage collectors to respect schedule.

OR, change the local ordinance to jack up the maximum fine (the max organizational penalty for a misdemeanor in Ohio is $5k for example), and THEN start slamming the sanitation companies with the max every time they violate the ordinance. I have a hard time thinking these corporations are going to blithely continue when their weekly run in a community suddenly costs an additional $5k (or even $1k).

I guess they took the easy way out and chose to simply terrify the working stiff just doing his job.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies