Is Maine the Arkansas of New England?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:58:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Maine the Arkansas of New England?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is Maine the Arkansas of New England?  (Read 5850 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:38:44 PM »

Maine seems to be something of an outlier in New England the same way that Arkansas (until 2008) was in the South. Arkansas had two Democratic senators and a Democratic governor at the same time it voted Republican for president whereas Maine used to have two Republican senators and now has a Republican, independent and Republican governor while it votes Democratic for president. When King and Snow retire if they are replaced by Democrats the trend will probably complete itself. Actually my hope is that Bellows runs again in 2018 and unseats King.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »

We'll have to wait until 2016 for a definitive decision on that. The last few GOP nominees haven't been a good fit. Maine is very elastic, and I can see at least the Second District flipping for the right Republican
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »

Maybe a Rand Paul type could perform well in Maine.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:17:24 PM »

That is a distinct possibility but do remember that he is the most conservative Republican running for president (according to Crowdpac).
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:21:29 PM »

That is a distinct possibility but do remember that he is the most conservative Republican running for president (according to Crowdpac).

I don't buy that, only if you define conservatism on the basis of economic issues and even there he's just tied with the rest of the field. A guy who actually talks about the racism in police profiling and wants to end the war on drugs is not someone I would consider to be the most conservative.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 02:05:36 AM »

Not really, it's a different dynamic.  Arkansas was strongly Democratic, but starting voting Republican in Presidential years, before finally the identification of the state with the increasingly unpopular national party, as well as demographic changes, led to the erosion of Democratic power at the state level.  Maine on the other hand has a tradition of political independents when it comes to both the state and national level - the last time there was a consistent domination of the Republicans in the state level/statewide elections was in the 1950s, whereas in Arkansas the state Democratic party dominated up to the late 1990s.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »

Maine is the Maine of the United States.  No state like it politically.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »

No.
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 11:31:44 PM »

I don't buy that, only if you define conservatism on the basis of economic issues and even there he's just tied with the rest of the field. A guy who actually talks about the racism in police profiling and wants to end the war on drugs is not someone I would consider to be the most conservative.
I I agree.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 01:38:41 AM »

Absolutely. One of my favorite states - it loves Indies almost as much as i do....
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »

Absolutely. One of my favorite states - it loves Indies almost as much as i do....

Oh give it a break smolty.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 12:51:28 PM »

Oh give it a break smolty.

Why? I really dislike "major political parties" as they exist NOW. Party partisans stress their party allegiance and faithfulness, i - vice versa....
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 06:19:50 AM »

HEY LOOK AT ME IM SO MODERATE!!!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 06:47:56 AM »

Well, i don't need anyone to look at me. Otherwise - yes.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 08:52:51 AM »

The issue is though, Smoltchanov, that having clearly defined parties is good because it acts as a heuristic for voters who don't follow politics very closely--which doesn't work if each party is an ideological mixed bag.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »

Is California the Texas of the Pacific?
Is Alabama the Massachusetts of the South?
Is Wisconsin the Ohio of the Upper Midwest?
Is Wyoming the Delaware of the West?

Fine out the answers to these question and more at www.uselectionatlas.org/forum!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 11:13:58 AM »

The issue is though, Smoltchanov, that having clearly defined parties is good because it acts as a heuristic for voters who don't follow politics very closely--which doesn't work if each party is an ideological mixed bag.

I don't belong to "voters who don't follow politics very closely", so, obviously, it's not good from my point of view. I have a lot of other arguments against having "ideologically pure" parties in case (as in US), with strong President and only 2 major parties, but they will take a lot of space here, so i will not go into details...
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:38 PM »

If anything, Maine is a more centrist version of Vermont.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »

I don't belong to "voters who don't follow politics very closely", so, obviously, it's not good from my point of view. I have a lot of other arguments against having "ideologically pure" parties in case (as in US), with strong President and only 2 major parties, but they will take a lot of space here, so i will not go into details...

Ideology isn't something you can just turn off. Objectivity is a myth, and you're probably one of the biggest ideologues on this forum because of your uncritical embrace of 'moderate-ism.' To pretend that people like Mark Pryor or Susan Collins aren't deeply committed to Wall Street and are instead some kind of principled moderates is an exercise in delusional political masturbation.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 01:53:18 PM »

just updating the thread title
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »

Unfair. I never said anything one way or the other.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »

Ideology isn't something you can just turn off. Objectivity is a myth, and you're probably one of the biggest ideologues on this forum because of your uncritical embrace of 'moderate-ism.' To pretend that people like Mark Pryor or Susan Collins aren't deeply committed to Wall Street and are instead some kind of principled moderates is an exercise in delusional political masturbation.

Well, i am not obliged to agree with your opinion, isn't i? In fact - i am not even obliged to respect it. You may think what you want about me - i REALLY don't care. But i reserve a right to stick to my opinion...
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 09:14:49 PM »

To be clear Smoltchanov, I'm not saying that the parties shouldn't nominate moderates necessarily--though it wouldn't be my first preference for other ideological reasons. Honestly, something like the Canadian system, where the parties all sit very close to each other near the center would be acceptable from the heuristics perspective. But every Democrat in national office should still be to the left of every Republican.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »

To be clear Smoltchanov, I'm not saying that the parties shouldn't nominate moderates necessarily--though it wouldn't be my first preference for other ideological reasons. Honestly, something like the Canadian system, where the parties all sit very close to each other near the center would be acceptable from the heuristics perspective. But every Democrat in national office should still be to the left of every Republican.

Not sure about even the last sentence. Henry Wallace was initially a Republican.  And a lot of Republican Senators and  congressmen in 1950 - 1970 were much more liberal then at least some Democrats. In fact - Connie Morella in 2002 was much more liberal then Ralph Hall. And if you think that republican candidate for House, say, in CT-04, must be to the right of Democratic candidate in MS-04 - i will wholeheartily disagree... That Democratic candidate in CT-04 must (in MOST cases) be even more liberal, then republican one - well, yes, in MOST cases it's so..
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:41 PM »

America has these things called state parties, and they like to win a Senate or House race once in a while.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies