1992: Bush wins re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:22:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1992: Bush wins re-election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 1992: Bush wins re-election  (Read 17166 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »

Dem 293
GOP 245

Even if the GOP carried Ohio, they'd still have been behind.  They'd have had to carry Iowa or New Mexico as well, and I don't think either would have happened in 1996.

For those who were shellshocked by GOP landslides in the 1970s and 1980s, the shift away from the GOP at the Presidential level CLEARLY happened between 1988 and 1992, and was largely fueled by (A) the rising pro-choice, anti-religious sentiments of younger voters and (B) the traditional resistance to the South in New England and Middle Atlantic states (which is very much culturally based).
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »

October 10, 1996 - In Vice Presidential Debate, Gephardt runs to the center as Thompson attacks Liberman, Gephardt as "big government liberals"

CLEVELAND, OH - In their only debate, Vice Presidential Candidates Dick Gephardt (D) and Tommy Thompson (R) debated a variety of issues while attacking each other's tickets. Gephardt, emphasizing the Lieberman economic plan to reduce taxes and invest in worker re-training programs, said he and Joe Lieberman were "bi-partisian reformers" who would work to reach across the aisle on issues ranging from education to campaign finance reform. Calling Lieberman and Gephardt "big government liberals," Tommy Thompson attacked Gephardt for his votes against NAFTA and welfare reform, and said that he and Dan Quayle were the candidates who believed in state's rights, tax cuts, and the elimination of the Federal Department of Education.

October 15, 1996 - Lieberman, Quayle debate foreign policy, both cite experience and toughness

MIAMI BEACH, FL - In their second presidential debate, Republican Presidential Nominee Dan Quayle and Democratic Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman debated foreign policy. Each candidate cited their experience; Lieberman his years in the U.S. Senate, and Quayle as a U.S. Senator and Vice President. While both agreed that President George Bush had been a strong leader on foreign policy and that he made the right policy decisions, they had a different view of U.S. military spending going forward. For his part, Dan Quayle said he'd increase the size of the U.S. military by 50,000 over an eight year period. Lieberman said key was investing in human intelligence. On the situation in Iraq, both refused to rule out the use of force, and Lieberman went as far as to say that the U.S. must call for regime change.

October 27, 1996 - Lieberman, Quayle make their final cases in third presidential debate

"My fellow Americans, tonight I am asking for your vote in this election. To me, this presidential race is not about money or who the special interests support. It's about reclaiming the American dream and fundamentally reforming government. I believe, just as John F. Kennedy did, that government should be limited and effective. My opponent wants you to believe I'm a big government liberal. I'm not. In fact, he voted for more new spending as a U.S. Senator than I did. I broke with my party and supported this President's tax cuts, welfare reform, and a balanced budget amendment. I have put forward a plan to reduce taxes, invest in worker re-training programs, provide health care for the poorest children in America, increase aid to states in the areas of education and infrastructure, and we will still balance the budget and begin to pay down the national debt. At the same time, I will fight to ban lobbyists from the floor of congress and for public financing of all federal elections. Additionally, these times demand leadership in the world to ensure that our security interests, and the interests of freedom loving people everywhere, are protected. I ask for your vote because it's time for us to show the world that America is again read for great things" - Joe Lieberman

"This election offers Americans a choice. My opponent has proposed $500 billion in new federal spending over the next decade. He claims he can pay for it and pay down our debt while cutting your taxes, it just isn't so. He's going to either increase your taxes or increase borrowing. Joe Lieberman's voting record is clear: he has voted for $700 billion in new federal spending since he was sworn into the U.S. Senate in 1989. My record is very different. I voted for President Reagan's agenda that cut taxes and rebuilt our military. As Vice President, I stood with George Bush as we signed the Americans with Disabilities Act, drove Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, and implemented the broadest free trade agreement in our nations history. Today, I stand before you, ready to be President of the United States. My purpose is to return power to states and the American people by eliminating the Federal Department of Education, cutting your taxes, and block-granting funding for AMTRAK, the EPA, and health care. I also want to be the President who finally bans the brutal practice of partial-birth abortion. The pro-life position is one I have held throughout not only my entire career in politics, but my entire life. This nation needs to reclaim the moral high ground, and protecting human life is the first step. My fellow citizens, for a third time, I am asking for your support as I seek a leadership position in the executive branch" - Dan Quayle

Election 1996 - Lieberman wins Historic Victory to become first Jewish American President

Joe Lieberman / Dick Gephardt (D) 53% 308 EV
Dan Quayle / Tommy Thompson (R) 46% 230 EV
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »

January 20, 1997 - January 1, 1999 - Key events of President Lieberman's administration
-March 1, 1997: President Lieberman signs into law bipartisan welfare reform
-June 15, 1997 - Joe Lieberman signs into law a constitutional balanced budget amendment
-September 5, 1997 - President Lieberman asks congress for the authority for the use of force against Saddam Hussein in Iraq after Hussein continued to defy U.N. Weapons Inspectors
-November 1, 1997 - All but 20 House Republicans and 10 House Democrats, in addition to 7 Senate Republicans and 5 Senate Democrats, vote to give President Lieberman the authority for the use of force against Saddam Hussein in Iraq
-December 10, 1997 - President Lieberman signs into law the entirety of his 15% phased-in tax cut, in addition to a reduction in the corporate tax rate from 35% to 28%, paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes
-February 2, 1998 - President Lieberman announces he will sign an executive order allowing homosexuals to serve openly in the U.S. military
-April 15, 1998 - President Lieberman signs a Democratic-backed bill increasing the federal minimum wage from $7.50 to $8.25
-June 1, 1998 - President Lieberman vetoes a Democratic-backed farm bill which increased farm subsidies from $40 billion to $55 billion annually
-September 4, 1998 - President Lieberman signs into law the Lobbying Reform Act of 1998, banning lobbyists from the floor of congress
-November 25, 1998 - President Lieberman signs into law tax credits for R&D investments in alternative sources of energy

January 15, 1999 - Bond to make presidential run

ST. LOUIS, MO - Senator Kit Bond of Missouri became the first Republican to formally enter the presidential primary process for the 2000 election. Bond told supporters that, "I am running for President because this administration has undermined our values with liberal judicial nominees, and they've played politics with our national security as it pertains to Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Bond, a consistent opponent of the Lieberman administration, seeks to appeal to social conservatives. He has spent 12 years in the U.S. Senate.

February 1, 1999 - George Pataki running for President

ALBANY, NY - Governor of New York George Pataki ended months of speculation as to his role in the 2000 election by declaring he would run for President. "I believe our party and our country deserve a presidential candidate who has a record of leading, not just talking" Pataki said. While socially moderate, Pataki said he would make a 12% flat tax, expanding free trade, and paying down the national debt by reforming social security & medicare key elements in his campaign. Pataki is considered by pundits to be the front-runner for the 2000 GOP nomination, given his support from the party establishment and ability to win independents.

February 25, 1999 - Allen to run for President

RICHMOND, VA - Former Governor of Virginia George Allen declared he would run for President in 2000. Allen told supporters he was the best candidate to win. "My agenda for this country is based on my experience as Governor. I cut taxes as Governor, I'll cut taxes as President. I increased choice in education as Governor, I'll do the same as President. I fought for welfare reform as Governor, I'll strengthen federal welfare reform as President" Allen said. Allen, who had served as Governor of Virginia from 1994-1998, is considered by many analysts to be a leading candidate for President.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 05:56:07 PM »

March 5, 1999 - Quayle makes surprise announcement, will run for President again

HUNTINGTON, IN - Former Vice President Dan Quayle, the 1996 Republican nominee for President, surprised the political world by announcing he would again seek the Republican Presidential Nomination in 2000. "Republicans deserve a choice in this primary, and Americans deserve a voice for traditional values and returning power to the American people" Quayle told supporters. While Quayle did talk about similar themes to his 1996 bid, he pledged to make outreach to independent voters and minorities who traditionally support Democrats a key element of his second presidential bid.

April 15, 1999 - Watts to seek presidency

CHARLESTON, SC - Rep. JC Watts (R-OK) declared his intention to run for President of the United States. "I believe in the power of free markets, free people, and of protecting every human life, and today we need a leader who clearly adheres to those principles in foreign and domestic policy" Watts said. Watts has served in Congress since 1995 and is a popular figure amongst conservatives.

May 1, 1999 - McCain running for President

DOVER, NH - Former U.S. Vice President John McCain announced his run for the 2000 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I'm running for President because I think our party needs to focus on broadening our appeal and on issues like maintaining social security, medicaire, and paying down the national debt" McCain stated. McCain served in the U.S. Senate from 1987-1995 and as Vice President of the United States for 13 months between December 1995 and January 1997. Like George Pataki, he is considered a favorite of the GOP establishment.

May 10, 1999 - Hutchison launches 2000 presidential bid

AUSTIN, TX - Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas launched her 2000 presidential campaign. "I believe I am best equipped to defeat Joe Lieberman in the year 2000 because I have a record of working with both parties to get things done. Joe Lieberman has failed to reform entitlement programs, he's failed to change our tax code, he's failed to pay down our national debt, and he's failed to secure our borders" Hutchison said. Hutchison spent two decades in elected office in Texas before being elected and re-elected to the U.S. Senate in 1992 and 1998.

May 23, 1999 - Poll: Quayle leads GOP field
Dan Quayle 31%
George Pataki 20%
John McCain 19%
George Allen 10%
Kay Bailey Hutchison 5%
JC Watts 4%
Kit Bond 1%
Other 1%

June 1, 1999 - Lieberman: Most of these Republicans agreed with me until now

WASHINGTON, DC - During an interview with CNN's Larry King, President Joe Lieberman responded to his prospective 2000 opponents criticism by touting his administration's record and saying they all agreed with him until now. "We've reduced taxes on everyone who pays taxes and businesses, we've reformed welfare, and we have made investments in our roads and bridges, as well as research and development. Unemployment has fallen from 5.2% when I took office to 4.4% today as we've seen 7 million new jobs since January of 1997. Welfare rolls have declined by 20% in less than three years. We are on the right track" the President stated. "As for the Republican candidates, John McCain is a friend of mine, we worked together on campaign finance reform and when I passed even broader lobbying reform, he supported me. Senator Hutchison and Senator Bond have voted with my administration on tax cuts, welfare reform, trade policy - it wasn't until recently they've begun attacking me, these candidates were with me until they wanted my job" the President added.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:02 PM »

Very interesting.  I tend to think that if Bush Sr. won reelection, Republicans would hold the White House clear through to 2008, assuming 9/11 and the War on Terror happen as IRL.  1996 seems like an automatic incumbent party win based on the economy and if Bush did that well in 2000 with Clinton uber popular, I can't imagine an R incumbent losing in 2000.  And the rally-around-the-flag effect in 2004 would be just enough to keep the streak going unless the mortgage crisis somehow came early.  But the 2008 Dem probably cracks 60% in that world.   
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 10:16:47 PM »

Very interesting.  I tend to think that if Bush Sr. won reelection, Republicans would hold the White House clear through to 2008, assuming 9/11 and the War on Terror happen as IRL.  1996 seems like an automatic incumbent party win based on the economy and if Bush did that well in 2000 with Clinton uber popular, I can't imagine an R incumbent losing in 2000.  And the rally-around-the-flag effect in 2004 would be just enough to keep the streak going unless the mortgage crisis somehow came early.  But the 2008 Dem probably cracks 60% in that world.   

The main idea here is that Lieberman ran as a centrist whereas Quayle ran as a social conservative throughout the entire campaign of 1996.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 11:32:37 PM »

I think this is what would have happened in reality if Republicans won in 1992

Reagan 1980-1988
Bush 1988-1996
Cuomo- 1996-2004(Republicans really didnt have a great field that year)(Republican Revoultion happens in 1998 instead of 1994)
Gore- 2004-2008
Romney- 2008- Present
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 11:55:48 PM »

Reagan 1980-1988
Bush 1988-1996
Cuomo- 1996-2004(Republicans really didnt have a great field that year)(Republican Revoultion happens in 1998 instead of 1994)
Gore- 2004-2008
Romney- 2008- Present

That would be exciting  for sure.  I generally think we have had too many turnovers in the White House recently relative to what is historically normal.  But for Perot, Watergate, and Nixon agreeing to debate on television, we could easily be living in a world with ~20 year cycles:

1932-52: D (FDR and Truman)
1953-1968: R (Eisenhower and Nixon)
1969-1980: D (RFK and Mondale)
1981-2008: R (Reagan, G.H.W. Bush, Dole, McCain)
2009-2028: D (Obama, Warren, Castro) 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 12:45:15 AM »

I think the Dems will either lose in 2016 or 2020 in reality. If they win 2016 they will get all the Blame for a likely recession(USA has never been more then 10 years without a recession), Foreign Policy troubles and lose in a landslide in the midterms of 2018 and then probably lose decisively in 2020.  
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 12:47:37 AM »

Reagan 1980-1988
Bush 1988-1996
Gore- 2004-2008
Romney- 2008- Present

That would be exciting  for sure.  I generally think we have had too many turnovers in the White House recently relative to what is historically normal.  But for Perot, Watergate, and Nixon agreeing to debate on television, we could easily be living in a world with ~20 year cycles:

1932-52: D (FDR and Truman)
1953-1968: R (Eisenhower and Nixon)
1969-1980: D (RFK and Mondale)
1981-2008: R (Reagan, G.H.W. Bush, Dole, McCain)
2009-2028: D (Obama, Warren, Castro) 

I also think that if the Democrats lost that many elections in a row there party would probably split up by 2004 and a third party takes the GOP out in 2008
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »

June 5, 1999 - GOP Candidates debate

"When I ran for President in 1996, I said that we needed a President who was committed to restoring our values and returning power to the American people and away from Washington D.C. This President likes to talk about how he adopted Republican policies on tax cuts and welfare reform, but the size of the federal government has increased by 20,000 workers, the EPA has written two dozen new rules without the consent of congress, and this administration has appointed progressive judges who are writing social policy. I'm running for President to rein in the power of the federal government, to appoint strict constructionist judges, and to reduce the size of the federal workforce to where it was in 1997. I stand by what I said in the last campaign in terms of abolishing the bloated Department of Education and protecting vulnerable human life by passing a ban on partial-birth abortion because every life is precious and deserves equal protection. In the U.S. Senate, as Vice President, and as a presidential candidate, I have won the reputation of speaking my mind and getting results, and that’s why I believe I am best prepared to lead our party to victory in the year 2000" - Dan Quayle

"I'm running for President of the United States because the way to beat Joe Lieberman is by nominating someone from outside Washington who has a proven track record of getting results. In New York, I cut taxes, reformed welfare before the federal government did, and demanded higher standards and greater teacher accountability in the area of education. I'm running on my record, but also a clear agenda for the future. I think we should expand free trade beyond our existing trade agreements we have today, we should replace our current tax code with a 12% flat tax, and we need to reduce the size of the federal government via attrition while reforming federal employee pensions. It's also crucial that we enact comprehensive medical liability reform to reduce health insurance costs for consumers and the cost of medicare. If we do these things, we can help middle and lower income Americans aim higher, and we can broaden prosperity to all corners of our country" - George Pataki

"What brings me to this presidential race is the eagerness I have to have a Republican nominee for President who is committed to reform. In Virginia, I cut taxes 12 times by a total of $800 million, appointed conservative judges, and reduced the size of state government by over 12,000 workers.  Joe Lieberman likes talking about how we’ve seen job growth and a decline in welfare rolls over the last three years; he doesn’t like to talk about the fact that the growth in wages has slowed, the national debt has grown despite the President pledging to reduce it, and while Wall Street is doing fine, Main Street is struggling. As President, I will not only reduce taxes, I will reform our tax code - and implement a 15% flat tax. I’ll also fight for health care savings accounts to help more Americans be able to better access health care in the free market, something this President has opposed. I’ll fight for reforming our medical liability system by capping punitive damages at $350,000. I’ll be a reformer in the area of immigration - I support legal immigration, but I will fight to cut funding from sanctuary cities, we’ll secure the border, and we’ll deport anyone here illegally who committed a crime in addition to the crime of illegally being in our country. It’s time for change in Washington, and that’s what I bring to this campaign” - George Allen

“The year 2000 is the beginning of a new century for our country. This century has seen widespread economic prosperity brought on by an industrial revolution, the rise and fall of fascism in Europe, a man on the moon,  the collapse of Communism, the invention of the personal computer, and so many great things for our country. What’s next? I believe we have to move into the next century with confidence and pride. We must ensure that our military is well-equipped and prepared to protect the peace. We should reduce taxes and regulations for all Americans to grow our economy, and we should try and cut our corporate tax rate in particular to bring manufacturing back to our shores. We must also reform social security and medicare - I’ve proposed raising the retirement age for future retirees for both programs, and slowing the growth of social security for those earning above $350,000 per year. This new American century should be one where we continue to advance cures to horrible diseases, and it must be one in which we protect every human life - so I’ll support R&D tax credits and a constitutional amendment protecting human life. I ran for Congress in 1994 because I wanted to make a difference, and I run for President to lead our country to make a difference in this new century” - J.C. Watts

“In the state of Texas, we do things differently than in Washington D.C. I spent 16 years in elected office in Texas - I’m proud to have contained the growth of spending, created a rainy-day fund, and reduced our state’s property taxes during that time. I took my conservative principles to the U.S. Senate where led I sponsored welfare reform, led the fight for NAFTA, and I wrote the bill that gives tax credits for energy exploration. I’m very proud of my record and I have a clear, conservative agenda for the future. First, we need to help the American worker compete globally. I’ll fight for a reduction in taxes in three areas - income, capital gains, and corporate. My plan reduces income taxes by 35% for middle and lower income Americans, reduces the capital gains tax by 35%, and reduces the corporate tax rate from 28% to 23%. . I’ll also fight to end protective tariffs and for tort reform in our legal system. Next, we need to protect our country - which is why I will invest $15 billion annually towards human intelligence and border security. I also believe we must protect families and values, I will fight for judges who interpret the constitution, and I will fight to protect human life and school choice. We need a President who is experienced, committed to change, and who understands that more brings us together than seperates us” - Kay Bailey Hutchison

“As a Navy Officer in the U.S. Navy, a Congressman, in the U.S. Senate, and for a brief period of time George Bush’s Vice President, I have always sought to put America’s interests ahead of my own. I stand before you here today, ready to lead this country, understanding all she has to offer and all she can be. I’m proud to have worked with this President in changing our political system to be fairer to Americans because we need more transparency in government. But, over the last few years, the President and I have disagreed on quite a few issues. I am deeply concerned about the enormity of our national debt and the failure of congress and the President to fix social security and medicare. I am deeply concerned about the President not protecting the rights of the unborn. I’m also deeply concerned this President has not done anything to reform our nation’s health care system to make insurance more affordable in the free market. Here’s the truth. I’m not going to offer another large tax reduction, I am offering a plan to reduce the national debt in half over the next decade by reforming social security and medicare. I’m offering what’s been said up here in terms of health care, but I’ll go a step further - I want to return federally subsidized health care dollars to states. We need a President who can work across the aisle to get things done, and one who is a public servant, not an ideologue” - John McCain

“The reason I am on this stage here tonight is that I want a Republican nominee for President who understands our values. All of us up here are pro-life and support banning partial-birth abortion, the fact that we are talking about this issue when just two decades ago, Republicans were silent on the pro-life position, I think is a great thing. But, there’s more. Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, the Lieberman administration announcing support for domestic partnership rights without the consent of congress, and this President’s unwillingness to consider my bill censoring internet content at institutions funded by the federal government is out of step with our values. Make no mistake about it, all of these candidates make a lot of sense on economic issues, and I’m with them on support for a 15% flat tax and health care reform, though I’m more reluctant to support free trade because we’ve lost manufacturing in many places as a result. I’ll fight for those things as President, but what about our values? Dan Quayle is a friend of mine, but did he do anything to stop domestic partnerships without the consent of congress as Vice President? No. George Pataki is a good man, but he’s pro-choice and signed domestic partnerships into law, he’s not a social conservative. I ask the voters to consider supporting me because I’m a consistent conservative when it counts” - Kit Bond 

July 15, 1999 - President Lieberman announces invasion of Iraq, GOP Candidates respond

WASHINGTON, DC - Stating that the United States and the international community had "expended all other options," President Joseph Lieberman declared that he would send in combat troops to remove Saddam Hussein's Iraqi regime from power. Lieberman committed to replacing the present Iraqi regime with a democratically elected government. This came more than two years after congress gave the President authority to use force against Saddam Hussein. Republican Presidential Candidates John McCain, Dan Quayle, George Pataki, Kay Bailey Hutchison, and George Allen voiced support for the President's policy. Candidate Kit Bond said he believed the administration should "build an international coalition" before "going with only two allies." JC Watts, who in congress voted to authorize the use of force, called the decision "too little, too late" and cautioned against "nation building." Watts said while he voted to give the President the authority for the use of force, the Lieberman administration "abandoned the game plan they laid out to congress in 1997."

August 1, 1999 - Quayle wins Ames, IA straw poll

Dan Quayle 1,407
Kay Bailey Hutchison 978
George Allen 802
JC Watts 392
John McCain 111
George Pataki 94
Kit Bond 45
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 10:47:24 PM »

September 5, 1999 - Allen hits Pataki, McCain, says he’s the “conservative of conviction” in the presidential race

IOWA CITY, IA - Former Governor of Virginia George Allen attacked presidential opponents George Pataki and John McCain as being too moderate for the Republican Party. “John McCain worked with Joe Lieberman to hurt Republicans in elections by preventing the business community to donate to political candidates, which compromises their first amendment rights, and yet unions can still contribute” Allen said of McCain. “Governor Pataki is pro-choice, for gun control, and against preserving traditional marriage, that is not where I stand” Allen said of Pataki. “I’m a conservative reformer who believes in enforcing our immigration laws, improving our free market health care system, establishing a 15% flat tax that unlike Governor Pataki’s, also reduces our corporate and capital gains taxes, and I’ll protect human life as President” Allen added.

October 1, 1999 - Quayle 2000 not Quayle 1996 in some ways

CHARLESTON, SC - Despite leading in public opinion polling going into the 2000 Republican primaries, Former Vice President Dan Quayle lacks the fundraising advantage and establishment support he had in 1996. While much of his party’s establishment backed him in 1996, George Pataki was the clear winner in terms of establishment backing. According to FEC filings, since January, Pataki raised $14 million, followed by Former Vice President John McCain at $9.2 million, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison with $7.2 million, and Quayle lagging behind at $4.5 million. Quayle’s 2000 effort is also different strategically than 1996. Then, he focused heavily on courting social conservatives. While he still is seeking that voting bloc, Quayle has positioned himself as a Washington outsider - something he could not do in 1996. He’s focused on winning independent voters who lean Republican as much as the conservative base. While his focus is still on the pro-life position as it was in ‘96, he is embracing an economic and fiscal conservatism - including less regulation, reducing the federal workforce, embracing alternative energy, and a tax plan that eliminates the capital gains tax, doubles the per-child tax credit, and eliminates the “marriage penalty.” Quayle is also more aggressive towards his opponents, calling George Pataki “moderate” while attacking the Governor’s record on gun control, abortion, and spending.

October 15, 1999 - Allen making noise in South Carolina

COLUMBIA, SC - Former Governor of Virginia George Allen is all-in in the first in the south Republican primary state of South Carolina. Running on what he calls a “reform” platform consisting of a flat tax, an overhaul of immigration laws, health care reform, and entitlement reform, Allen is spending most of his resources in South Carolina. Public opinion polls have found him in 4th or 5th place nationally, but in the course of 6 weeks, he has gone from 5th to 2nd in South Carolina behind Dan Quayle. He has a presence in Iowa, but has made little investment in New Hampshire. Key to his potential success in South Carolina could be his southern roots and perceived ability to win as a conservative.

December 1, 1999 - Endorsements to date

Dan Quayle
James Baker, Former Secretary of State
Dan Coats, Former U.S. Senator from Indiana
Dick Cheney, Former Secretary of Defense
Jon Sununu, Former White House Chief of Staff
Chuck Grassley, U.S. Senator from Iowa
Tommy Thompson, 1996 Republican Vice Presidential Nominee
Robert Orr, Former Governor of Indiana

George Pataki
Tom Ridge, Governor of Pennsylvania
Bill Frist, U.S. Senator from Tennessee
Dennis Hassert, House Miniority Whip
Dick Armey, House Miniority Leader
Steve Forbes, Magazine Publisher
Peter King, Congressman from New York
Lamar Alexander, Former U.S. Secretary of Education

John McCain
Steve Merill, Governor of New Hampshire
Rudy Giuliani, Mayor of New York City
Jon Kyl, U.S. Senator from Arizona
Lindsey Graham, Congressman from South Carolina
Trent Lott, U.S. Senate Minority Leader
Bob Dole, Former U.S. Senate Minority Leader

George Allen
Jim Gilmore, Governor of Virginia
Carroll A. Campbell Jr, Former Governor of South Carolina
David Beasley, Governor of South Carolina
Newt Gingrich, Former House Majority Leader

Kay Bailey Hutchison
George W. Bush, Governor of Texas
Jeb Bush, Governor of Florida
Judd Gregg, U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
Newt Gingrich, Former House Minority Leader
Phil Gramm, U.S. Senator from Texas

Kit Bond
Rick Santorum, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania

J.C. Watts
Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas
Pete Wilson, Former Governor of California

January 25, 2000 - Iowa Caucus: Quayle wins, Allen & Hutchison do better than expected

IOWA CITY, IA - Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle won the 2000 Iowa caucus as he did in 1996, garnering 31% of the vote. Former Governor of Virginia George Allen and U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison did better than expected, garnering 20% and 18% of the vote respectively.

February 2, 2000 - New Hampshire primary: McCain wins decisive victory

MANCHESTER, NH - Former Vice President John McCain won New Hampshire’s Republican primary, defeating George Pataki decisively. With all the votes in, McCain won 41% of the vote, Pataki placed second with 27%. National front-runner Dan Quayle placed third with 18%.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »

February 9, 2000 - Allen wins South Carolina, Quayle wins Michigan & Idaho

CHARLESTON, SC - Former Governor of Virginia George Allen won South Carolina’s Republican Presidential Primary, defeating Dan Quayle 37%-25% in the Palmetto State. In Michigan, Quayle defeated opponent George Pataki 36%-33%, as he defeated opponent Kit Bond 68%-15% in Idaho.

February 21, 2000 - Super Tuesday: Quayle, Allen dominate as McCain, Pataki, and Hutchison win minimal victories, Bond withdrawals

WASHINGTON, DC - Republicans in 15 states went to the polls to decide who they wanted to be their 2000 presidential nominee. Voters in 5 states selected Dan Quayle, 5 other states selected George Allen, 3 states voted for Kay Bailey Hutchison, and 2 states voted for John McCain. Dan Quayle secured victories in Ohio, Illinois, Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming. George Allen won his home state of Virginia, North Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Oklahoma. John McCain secured victories in his home state of Arizona and Utah, as Kay Bailey Hutchison won New Jersey, Connecticut, and Maryland. After failing to gain traction in early states, Senator Kit Bond (R-MO) ended his 2000 presidential campaign.

February 24, 2000 - Pataki ends presidential campaign, endorses John McCain for President

ALBANY, NY - Governor of New York George Pataki ended his 2000 presidential campaign and endorsed fellow candidate John McCain for the Republican Presidential Nomination. “John McCain is a reformer who gets things done, he will clean up the mess in Washington and fight for fiscal discipline again” Pataki said of McCain.

February 28, 2000 - Poll: Lieberman tough to beat, Allen and Quayle lead

GOP Nomination
Dan Quayle 32%
George Allen 31%
Kay Bailey Hutchison  22%
John McCain 20%

General Election Match-Ups

Joe Lieberman 49%
Dan Quayle 37%

Joe Lieberman 48%
George Allen 40%

Joe Lieberman 47%
Kay Bailey Hutchison 41%
Joe Lieberman 47%
John McCain 44%

March 1, 2000 - President Lieberman officially launches re-election campaign

“Over the last four years, we have brought Democrats and Republicans together to challenge the status-quo in Washington D.C. We passed sweeping ethics reform that has reduced influence peddling in Washington D.C. We’ve reduced taxes and transformed our tax code, reformed welfare, made investments in worker re-training programs, and we’ve sent money to states to help the poorest children have access to health care, to invest in our infrastructure, and towards education. When I took office, unemployment was at 5.7%, today it’s at 4.5%, inflation was 3%, today it’s 2.3%, we faced a deficit of over $200 billion, today we have a balanced budget. We have made tremendous progress in helping more Americans realize the American dream. At the same time, we are making progress in Iraq. The next President of the United States must be committed to regime change and finishing the job there. My fellow citizens, with our economy growing but more work to be done, and in a world where our resolve is being tested, these times demand strong, effective leadership. I’m going to be a candidate for re-election as President. A second term will enable us to work together to continue to build on these results” - President Joe Lieberman

March 7, 2000 - Texas, Delaware, and Georgia vote

AUSTIN, TX - Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison won a decisive victory in her home state of Texas, garnering 72% of the vote. In Georgia’s Republican primary, George Allen defeated Hutchison and Dan Quayle, 40%-29%-19% respectively. In Delaware, Dan Quayle narrowly defeated John McCain, 35%-33% respectively.

March 15, 2000 - SOURCES: Lieberman whitehouse fears McCain most, Quayle least

WASHINGTON, DC - Speaking anonymously in order to speak candidly to the Washington Post, two Democratic National Committee sources said that President Lieberman’s white house believed the President would cruise to re-election - unless John McCain is the Republican Presidential Nominee. “Of the four candidates, the Lieberman white house believes McCain would be the toughest to beat because he’s universally liked and is very popular with independent voters” one source said. “The white house believes the President would easily win a rematch with Quayle, and Allen is not a great retail politician” the source said. A second source stated that the white house believed Republicans ultimately would nominate Dan Quayle, and that the President would win. “Basically, Republican voters know Dan Quayle and like him, he will be their nominee and the President is very confident of victory with a strong economy and a message that resonates” the second source said. “The white house also knows that John McCain would be formidable, and possibly the same goes for Kay Bailey Hutchison, but not Quayle or George Allen” the source added.

March 23, 2000 - Hutchison wins surprise victories in Minnesota, Missouri

ST. LOUIS, MO - U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison shocked the political world by winning Republican primaries in Minnesota and Missouri. She defeated George Allen in Missouri 35%-25%, and defeated Dan Quayle in Minnesota 40%-22%.

March 25, 2000 - McCain withdrawals from presidential race

PHOENIX, AZ - After only winning four presidential primaries, Former U.S. Vice President John McCain ended his 2000 presidential campaign. “I am grateful for the broad support I have received from both Republicans, independents, and yes, Democrats during the course of our campaign. I have no regrets and will continue to fight for the values I believe in” McCain told reporters.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »

April 2, 2000 - Watts withdrawals
TULSA, OK - Rep. JC Watts ended his 2000 presidential bid

April 2, 2000 - Three remaining GOP candidates debate

"Over the next 70 days, Republican voters will have a choice to make. My friend Dan Quayle ran for President in 1996, and his message didn't resonate with the American people not because he's wrong on issues, but because he spent two decades in Washington D.C. and became part of the problem. The problem in Washington is, promises are made, but they aren't kept. As a Governor, I actually had to lead, and I got things done - 12 tax cuts, welfare reform, school choice, and restraining state spending below the level of inflation. So, when I talk about the need for a 15% flat tax, health care savings accounts, border security, and stopping the growth of non-defense discretionary spending to below 2% per year, I speak from experience and from having the opportunity to lead a state" - George Allen

"Governor Allen is right, Republicans do have a choice in this election. In Virginia, state debt grew by 15% - twice the rate of the federal debt during George Allen's tenure. He talks about reducing taxes 12 times, he also increased taxes and fees by $400 million during his four years - he raised tolls, increased the gasoline tax, and even increased the state sales tax, plus because of his centralized planning, local property taxes saw their largest increase in a generation during his tenure. Where did the money go? It went to pay for a state expansion of medicaid despite an influx of federal dollars for that program, it went to a record number of pet projects, and it went to hire more government employees. My record, my values, and my experience are different. I served for 12 years in congress, the house and the U.S. Senate. I dealt with foreign policy issues, budgetary issues, and agriculture. I voted for the Reagan budgets that reduced taxes and rebuilt our military. Along with two of my colleagues, I wrote the bill that gave states greater authority over the Veterans Administration, and I also fought and won in the fight against lifting President Reagan's Mexico City policy in December 1988. As Vice President, I stood with George Bush as we drove Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, reduced taxes for small businesses, implemented NAFTA, and protected the rights of the disabled. I'm proud of that record" - Dan Quayle

"Being President of the United States is the toughest job in the world. All of us up here have experience, the question is, which one of us has the best record and the right ideas? In Texas, I helped restrain spending and we actually had a rainy-day fund when I left office, and we did it without raising taxes. In the U.S. Senate, I was a leading advocate for welfare reform, expanding free trade, and for reducing taxes on small businesses. As President, I will fight for economic security by reducing taxes on personal and business income and investment, reducing barriers to trade, and enacting tort reform to create certainty for the private sector. I’ll invest in our human intelligence capabilities because the first priority of any President is to keep Americans safe. I will fight for families by ending federal involvement in education and by protecting the sanctity of every human life” - Kay Bailey Hutchison

“I am very confident in my ability to beat Joe Lieberman in 2000. Four years ago, this President told Americans he’d pay for all these new programs, and still cut taxes and reduce our national debt in half by the end of this fiscal year. He did cut taxes, though our tax code is still complicated and filled with special interest loopholes. He also increased spending as promised, our national debt was $5.2 trillion when he took office, it’s now approaching $6 trillion, and it will be $7 trillion by the year 2010 if we continue on the same path we are on. If we stop sending money to cities that in turn give benefits to those here illegally, if we change our health care system to empower individuals and not bureaucrats, if we end the IRS as we know it, and if we cap the growth of federal spending, we can begin to reduce our national debt for real this time” - George Allen

“Four years ago, I ran for President as a conservative Republican. I lost. Today, I stand before you here today, understanding of the mistakes I made in that campaign. Four years ago, I relied upon the conservative base to win, and I’m still relying on that conservative base to get out and vote, and I’m proud to be a part of that conservative base. But, I also must reach out to independent voters who are tired of the federal government over regulating, over-taxing, over litigating, and being involved in parental decisions with regards to education. Secondly, I warned of Joe Lieberman’s billions in new federal spending without a way to pay for it, and unfortunately, what I said came true. Finally, Americans are eager for change, and I’ve been an agent of change. We brought on a conservative revolution in the 1980s by reaching out to independent voters, and I was a part of that revolution. Under George Bush, I was proud to have a bipartisan set of accomplishments. Together, we will win this election” - Dan Quayle

“Key to winning for any Republican candidate in 2000 depends on broadening our voter base the way Presidents Reagan and Bush did. When I ran for the U.S. Senate in 1992, I didn’t just go out and count on Republicans - I attracted the votes of not only 97% of Republicans, but also 61% of independents and even 46% of Democrats. In all three areas, I did even better in 1998. My message is not a particularly partisan one. It’s about protecting our free market economic system, our national defense, and our values. I also think my experience in both the state of Texas and in the U.S. Senate shows a great contrast with Joe Lieberman, perhaps more so than my opponents. I would offer Americans a sharp contrast. Joe Lieberman’s tax cuts are 50-60% smaller than what I have proposed since 1997, I voted against all of his budgets, I have fought against his liberal judicial nominees, and I was one of only three Republicans to vote against his nominees for Secretary of Labor and one of two who opposed his Department of Education nominee. But, Americans also expect a President to work with those whom they disagree with. I worked with this administration in passing new free trade agreements in places such as Peru and Columbia, I worked with this administration to send more border patrol agents to our southern border, and I worked with Senator Russ Feingold to pass tax relief for working families by increasing the threshold for the earned income tax credit” - Kay Bailey Hutchison

April 4, 2000 - Illinois, West Virginia, Alabama vote

CHICAGO, IL - Former Virginia Governor George Allen won a trio of primaries in Illinois, West Virginia, and Alabama. He defeated opponent Dan Quayle 41%-30% in Illinois and 50%-29% in West Virginia as he defeated opponent Kay Bailey Hutchison 39.5%-39.2% in Alabama.

April 11, 2000 - Alaska, Montana, Indiana vote

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - Former Vice President Dan Quayle won a decisive victory in his home state of Indiana, defeating George Allen 68%-21% as Allen defeated Quayle 51%-30% in Alaska. Allen defeated Quayle and Kay Bailey Hutchison 40%-30%-28% in Montana respectively.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »

April 15, 2000 - Hutchison ends presidential bid

DALLAS, TX - U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) ended her 2000 presidential campaign after finishing third in the majority of presidential contests. “Today, I am withdrawing from the presidential race. In doing so, I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to continue to advocate for the principles my supporters so strongly believe in in the United States Senate” Hutchison, who pledged to support the eventual GOP Presidential Nominee, stated.

April 23, 2000 - California, New Mexico, Massachusetts vote: Quayle sweeps

SACRAMENTO, CA - Former Vice President Dan Quayle swept primaries in California, New Mexico, and Massachusetts. Quayle defeated Allen 55%-40% in California, 51%-48% in New Mexico, and 60%-38% in Massachusetts.

April 29, 2000 - Illinois, Hawaii, Kansas vote: Quayle sweeps

TOPEKA, KS - Former U.S. Vice President secured victories in presidential primaries in Illinois, Hawaii, and Kansas.

Allen calls it quits

CHICAGO, IL - Former Governor of Virginia George Allen announced he was ending his presidential bid. “We brought what was a longshot campaign for reform in Washington to every corner of this country, and we placed second! For that, we can all be proud. But, the math is not in our favor and so tonight, I spoke with Vice President Quayle and offered him my concession, and my support in this election” Allen said.

Dan Quayle wins 2000 Republican Presidential Nomination

“I want to thank conservatives and Republicans from across this country for their support, confidence, and for their votes. Tonight, we have earned enough delegates and votes to claim that we have won the Republican nomination for President of the United States. Our principles of a flat tax, the pro-life position, abolishing the Department of Education, and standing up for strict constructionist judges has won the day. Now is the time for us to come together and reach out to independents and Reagan Democrats. We will pursue policies to reduce federal spending and begin to pay down the national debt. We will pursue policies to expand free trade to create more high paying American jobs. If we make the case for greater economic security, we will win this election, and I plan on doing just that” - Dan Quayle, Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee

May 10, 2000 - Media list of possible Quayle running-mates

George Allen, Former Governor of Virginia and Former Presidential Candidate
Kay Bailey Hutchison, U.S. Senator from Texas and Former Presidential Candidate
Rudy Giuliani, Mayor of New York City
James Baker, Former Secretary of State
Jon Kyl, U.S. Senator from Arizona
Newt Gingrich, Former House Minority Leader
George W. Bush, Governor of Texas
Jeb Bush, Governor of Florida
Judd Gregg, U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
Elizabeth Dole, Former Secretary of Transportation
Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas 

May 15, 2000 - Three Republicans back President Lieberman in re-election bid

HARTFORD, CT - President Joe Lieberman's re-election campaign announced that three prominent Republicans would be supporting the President for re-election at a press conference with the President outside his national campaign headquarters. Senator Susan Collins (R-ME), Governor Tom Ridge (R-PA), and Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY) declared they would be supporting the President for re-election. "If you look past the rheoric and look at what has actually happened since 1997, you'll see that this President has gone out of his way to engage Republicans - and he signed welfare reform, tax cuts, and a balanced budget amendment into law as a result" Senator Collins stated. Governor Ridge went on the attack towards his party's nominee during his remarks. "I am proud to have worked hard for my party in the state of Pennsylvania, but our message is one of unity, whereas Mr. Quayle believes in dividing people over issues best left up to individuals and not the federal government, the current President has brought both parties together" Ridge declared. "For New York City and America, this President has led - we need to come together as a country and find solutions to our challenges, and the President has done that" Mayor Rudy Giuliani, once considered a Republican Vice Presidential prospect, declared.

June 2, 2000 - Lieberman: Saddam Hussein captured

WASHINGTON, DC - President Joe Lieberman announced to the United States and the world that U.S. and it's allies captured Saddam Hussein in Iraq. "Tonight, Iraq's long national nightmare has come to an end, as the United States and our allies have captured a brutal dictator responsible for murdering millions. Tonight, the world is a better place" the President stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2015, 09:40:53 AM by dudeabides »

June 2, 2000 - Quayle: I agree, the world better off without Saddam Hussein

HUNTINGTON, IN - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Dan Quayle released a statement regarding the capture of Iraqi Dictator Saddam Hussein. In his statement, the Former Vice President said he agreed with President Joe Lieberman that "the world is better off" without Saddam Hussein in power. Quayle then called for "training the Iraqis to care for their own security."

July 1, 2000 - Poll: Lieberman leads by 10

Joe Lieberman 50%
Dan Quayle 40%

July 27, 2000 - Quayle taps Dole for Vice President

ST. LOUIS, MO - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Dan Quayle announced that Former Secretary of Transportation and American Red Cross President Elizabeth Dole would be his running-mate in the 2000 election. "Elizabeth Dole's experience in both government and in the non-profit sector, her experience leading, and her sound judgement uniquely qualify her to be Vice President of the United States" Quayle said of Dole. Dole, a former Washington D.C. attorney, served as Secretary of Transportation from 1989-1992 and as President of the American Red Cross from 1993-1999.

August 9, 2000 - Vice President Dick Gephardt accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"It was four years ago that the President and I stood before the American people and pledged to bring both parties together to get things done for all Americans. We promised to fundamentally reform government and ensure the American dream was available to all of our people. Four years later, we can point to a track record of results. We have successfully reformed our welfare system to reward work and discourage dependency, we are cutting taxes by $550 billion and ending special interest loopholes, we signed into law a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget, we've increased funding for local aid to education and job training, helped reduce the number of children without health care in half by working with state and local governments, and this administration has invested more in our infrastructure than any administration since Dwight Eisenhower. The results of these policies are clear. We now have a balanced budget for the first time in more than a generation, over half a million people who were in poverty when we took office have been lifted out of poverty, nearly 6 million new jobs have been created since we took office, welfare rolls are down by 40%, educational test scores are rising, and wages have grown at twice the rate of the previous four years. Our opponents see things differently, they ignore these facts and the bi-partisan accomplishments of this administration and congress. They believe that ideology should be the driver of the debate in Washington, we believe more unites us than divides us, and that's exactly how we will lead in these next four years as we have since 1997" - Vice President Dick Gephardt

August 9, 2000 - President Joe Lieberman accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

“Over the last four years, we have taken steps to reform government, restore the American dream for everyone, and we took decisive action to disarm a dictator responsible for murdering millions, oppressing millions, and threatening the security and stability of the world. Today, we are showing the world what American leadership looks like. We have invested in our communities as opposed to a larger welfare state. Government is now more open and transparent than at anytime in our history by any objective measure. We’ve reduced taxes, opened up our markets, and balanced the budget so we can continue to see economic growth. We’ve protected our country and worked with our allies to make this world safer. Americans are safer and more prosperous today than they were four years ago, and we will keep moving our country forward with confidence, unity, and strength in these next four years. In the next four years, let us come together to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy - we’ve made strides in the right direction, but we must encourage solar, wind, clean coal, and nuclear energies. I have also proposed that we means test social security and medicare not to punish the most successful in our society, but to make sure those programs are there for future generations, and to begin the work of paying down our nation’s debt. Another term affords me the opportunity to fight for something I believe in very strongly - I think it is time for us to work together to cover every child in America with health insurance by working with states the the private sector. If we do these things, we will enrich the lives of working families, protect the most vulnerable in our society, and we will continue to create jobs and move our economy forward. This era of great prosperity here at home is also a moment of great uncertainty abroad. Two months ago, our brave men and women in uniform captured Saddam Hussein. We succeeded in overthrowing an outlaw regime that has the blood of millions on their hand, and a regime that threatened the world. Today, Iraq is uncertain. My opponent believes that we should train the Iraqis and leave. I know that this is a long struggle for a democracy in a part of the world where freedom is rare. We will train the Iraqis to care for their own security, but we must also install a democratically elected government because that is what the formerly oppressed people of Iraq deserve, and it’s what is right in this world. Our country has achieved great goals in the last four years, and my job is to ensure our country is as prosperous, safe, and proud as she can be in the next four” - President Joe Lieberman

August 17, 2000 - Elizabeth Dole accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

“Every four years, Americans have the opportunity to select between candidates with different visions, experiences, records, and ideas. Four years ago, Americans elected a young U.S. Senator who promised to bridge the partisan divide and implement policies he said would help advance the American dream. Often, this President likes to tell you how many jobs were created, or how welfare rolls are down, or how the budget is balanced. The fact is, since 1980, our economy has only seen job growth. Even during the recession of 1991-1992, the economy added jobs. In 1980, 27 million Americans were dependent on welfare. By 1996, that number fell to 14 million and today, that number is 8.2 million. That is a credit to bipartisan welfare reform, but also to economic growth we’ve seen in the last two decades. If you look at the whole picture, you’ll find the President isn’t telling the entire story. Drug use is up 15% since 1996. The national debt has increased by $800 billion. In 1996, our deficit was $102 billion, in fiscal year 1999, it was $405 billion. The cost of health insurance has seen it’s fastest rise in the last three years than at anytime since 1960. Home ownership has seen it’s slowest rise since 1979. Fellow Americans, we can do better and if you entrust the presidency to Dan Quayle, we will do better. We will ensure that the future is brighter than our past, and we will always fight for what is right in this world” - Elizabeth Dole, Republican Vice Presidential Nominee

August 20, 2000 - Dan Quayle accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

“Four years ago, I accepted the nomination of our party for President of the United States in a time of great promise, but also great challenge. My generation has seen the size of the federal government grow by nearly double in the last three decades. We saw firsthand the horrors of a foreign policy without purpose or moral authority. We have seen a culture that has been in decline. In 1980, something happened. After two decades of decline and despair, we elected a hopeful leader who created an American foreign policy with moral purpose, who understood the greatness of our values as people, and who began to limit government. In 1988, Americans elected a war hero who continued to build on the progress made during the 1980s and brought us to new highs in terms of our economic strength and our nation’s security. I’m proud to have helped fight for the policies of Ronald Reagan and George Bush to grow our economy, protect our country, and restore our values. Much of what we did succeeded, though some of it did not. Today, more so than four years ago, our country faces great challenge, but we also have great promise. Let me be frank. This President has failed to reduce our national debt, he’s failed to do something about our southern border which has seen an increase in illegal border crossings, he’s failed to help our poorest communities fight crime and drug use, and he’s failed to help the most vulnerable in our education system succeed. Now is the time for an experienced, proven leader who can get things done to help limit government and unleash the spirit of America. If I’m elected President of the United States, power will be returned to states and to the American people. We will have an actual plan to train the Iraqis to care for their own security. We will stop the trial lawyers from harming our nation’s business climate with frivolous lawsuits. We will stop the erosion of our values by restoring integrity to government and discipline to our criminal justice system. We will fight to balance the budget and throw our our current tax code. At their convention, the Democrats again promised us the world. We’ve heard it all before - they promise more programs, but somehow, they seem to believe we aren’t going to have to pay for it. That’s what they said four years ago, and we’ve seen more debt and yet, for too many Americans, the American dream they promised in 1996 is distant. Throughout my career, I’ve always been realistic, but I’ve also always been optimistic because in this nation, we can achieve great things working together” - Dan Quayle, Republican Presidential Nominee
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »

September 5, 2000 - Four Republican U.S. Senators, 12 House members, back Lieberman for re-election

RALEIGH, NC - President Joe Lieberman, touting bi-partisan accomplishments on tax cuts, welfare reform, and a constitutional balanced budget amendment, was joined by a group of four senate Republicans and 12 house Republicans on stage as they crossed party lines to endorse the President for re-election. U.S. Senators Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Mike DeWine (R-OH), Rod Grams (R-MN), and Spencer Abraham (R-MI), in addition to 12 house Republicans, endorsed the President in his re-election bid, touting the same issues the President touted.

October 4, 2000 - Lieberman, Quayle participate in domestic policy debate

CLEVELAND, OH - President Joe Lieberman and Former Vice President Dan Quayle participated in the first of three presidential debates. The debate, focused on domestic issues, pitted the two presidential nominees against each other on a variety of issues, ranging from taxes to abortion. Lieberman, touting the creation of 6 million new jobs which he attributed to tax reductions and free trade, said his administration was working with both parties to promote a positive business climate. Lieberman said health care reform, entitlement reform, and continuing to invest in education and infrastructure improvements would be the focus of a second term presidential agenda. Quayle was critical of the Lieberman administration’s criminal justice and fiscal policies, arguing for a 10% reduction in the size of the federal workforce by the year 2004. Quayle said his top priorities would be to reduce the national debt, abolish the Department of Education, to appoint “strict constructionist” judges, ending parole for violent criminals, and a 15% flat tax.

October 12, 2000 - Vice Presidential Candidates debate

MONTCLAIR, NJ - Vice President Dick Gephardt and Elizabeth Dole participated in a vice presidential debate. Gephardt, long considered a populist, made the argument that fewer Americans were in poverty as a result of the Lieberman administration’s policies on taxes and health care, as Elizabeth Dole argued the poor were worse off, citing increases in property crime in  cities such as Detriot and Los Angeles. Gephardt accused Dan Quayle of supporting lower taxes for the wealthy while seeking to increase taxes on lower income Americans under his flat tax proposal. Dole accused the Lieberman administration of supporting a federal takeover of education, and of lacking vision in Iraq.

October 21, 2000 - Lieberman, Quayle debate foreign policy

DENVER, CO - In their second presidential debate, Republican Presidential Nominee Dan Quayle and Democratic Nominee President Joe Lieberman debated foreign policy issues. Lieberman said that his administration was committed to not only training Iraqis to care for their own security forces, but to overseeing free elections and helping construct new schools, health care centers, and job training facilities. Lieberman said it would likely be up to his successor to withdrawal from Iraq. Quayle said he believed the U.S. should train the Iraqis to care for their own security, but that nation building was not “the answer.” Both men agreed that a timeline for withdrawal from Iraq was not a good option. Both men also agreed that increasing defense spending was necessary; Lieberman said his administration increased defense spending by 5% per year and would continue to do so, whereas Quayle called for an additional $400 billion for the military by the year 2008 in order to pay for 40,000 additional recruits.

October 28, 2000 - Lieberman, Quayle make their final case in final debate

“My fellow Americans, four years ago, I stood here before you and promised I’d fight to reform government and help us reclaim the American dream. Four years later, we’ve cut taxes by 15%, reformed our welfare system, invested in health care and job-training, and we passed a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget. At the same time, the United States succeeded in overthrowing a brutal dictator who oppressed his own people and who was a threat to world stability. Together, working together, you and I have made history. I’m asking for the opportunity to continue to do the job I was elected to do in 1996. Together, we’ll continue to build on the progress of the last four years. We’ll cover every child in America with health care, we’ll reform social security and medicare, we’ll invest in our nation’s infrastructure, and we’ll end our dependence on foreign sources of energy. At the same time, I am committed to peace in this world, and I will pursue policies in Iraq to help bring our troops home in victory. The stakes are high in this election, and my opponent believes in the politics of fear, but I am optimistic about the future of this great country, and that’s why I’m asking for your vote” - President Joe Lieberman

“The President and I do agree that he made a lot of promises for years ago. Today, the administration has failed to reduce our nation’s debt, they’ve failed to take on the problem of crime and increased drug use in our most vulnerable communities, they’ve appointed judicial activists to serve on our judicial benches, and this President and his team have no strategy to achieve victory in Iraq. It’s time for change, and it’s time for a President with the judgement and experience to lead our nation. If you believe that the power over health care, education, and decisions you make in your lives belongs in Washington, than the President and his liberal allies in congress would love to have your support. But if you believe that it’s time to limit government and return power to the American people, than my Republican allies and I ask for your vote. My agenda is an agenda that is meant to empower all Americans to aim higher. We need to raise our standards of leadership - for two decades, I served in leadership positions. I fought for the values that made our country great, and I told people the truth about our challenges, our options, and where I stand. I’m asking for your vote because it’s time to restore integrity in government and it’s time to reclaim the values that made our nation great” - Former Vice President Dan Quayle
OnlyAlb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 10:26:10 PM »

Go Lieberman!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »

Election 2000 - President Lieberman wins decicively
Joe Lieberman / Dick Gephardt (D) 57% 340 EV
Dan Quayle / Elizabeth Dole (R) 42% 198 EV

The Second Term of Joe Lieberman key events - January 20, 2001 - January 2, 2003
March 1, 2001 - President Lieberman signs into law the Social Security Means Test Act, means testing social security to slow the growth on those with average earnings of above $100,000 per year during the decade before retirement
June 5, 2001 - President Lieberman signs into law the Education Bond Act of 2001, allowing the federal government to sell certain assets to fund increasing the number of college pell grants for lower income students
September 22, 2001 - President Lieberman announces the launch of the War on Terror
December 15, 2001 - President Lieberman signs into law a $300 billion stimulus package in the midst of a recession
February 15, 2002 - President Lieberman signs into law a federal ban on assault weapons, which won criticism from House Republicans & the NRA
May 1, 2002 - President Lieberman announces that all but 10,000 U.S. forces will be out of Iraq by June 5, 2002. The President also announces a surge of 15,000 forces to Afghanistan 
August 27, 2002 - President Lieberman signs into law a federal civil union law, guaranteeing same-sex couples the same rights as married couples under federal law
November 25, 2002 - President Lieberman and House Democrats pass a surcharge on the income tax of 5% above $250,000 to pay for a projected deficit of $500 billion for fiscal year 2003.

January 5, 2003 - Hart launches third presidential campaign

DENVER, CO - Former U.S. Senator Gary Hart launched his third presidential campaign after months of speculation. Hart, who served in the U.S. Senate from 1977-1989 and as U.S. Trade Representative from 1997-1999, made the announcement at a press conference. "I'm running for President because these times demand experienced foreign policy and economic leadership, and I have that experience" Hart stated.

January 23, 2003 - Pataki to make white house run again

ALBANY, NY - Governor of New York George Pataki announced his second white house run outside the governor's mansion in Albany. "Today, I announce that I am a candidate for President of the United States. I'm running because I have a record of getting things done on economic development, education, and welfare reform that others have not been able to do" Pataki told supporters.

February 15, 2003 - Ashcroft enters presidential race

ST. LOUIS, MO - Former U.S. Senator John Ashcroft of Missouri became the second Republican to formally enter the race for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I'm running for President of the United States to protect this country and restore a sense of civility to our politics" Ashcroft, who served in the U.S. Senate from 1995-2001 after serving as Missouri's Governor, declared.

March 1, 2003 - Giuliani to seek 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination

MANCHESTER, NH - Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani announced he would stand as a candidate for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. "Americans deserve an optimistic leader with a proven record of getting results" Giuliani, a former Reagan assistant attorney general and district attorney, stated.

March 23, 2003 - Bradley to seek 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination

MONTCLAIR, NJ - Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey announced his intention to run for President in 2004. "I believe our country needs to invest in it's people again here at home, and we have to protect ourselves and also restore our moral authority abroad" Bradley told supporters. Bradley served in the U.S. Senate from 1985-1997 and is a former NBA basketball player.

April 5, 2003 - Inholfe to seek Republican nomination for President

TULSA, OK - U.S. Senator James Inholfe announced he would seek the presidency in 2004. "The bottom line is this: our party, and our country need a consistent conservative on values, foreign policy, and on economic matters, and I will be that conservative" Inholfe stated.

April 27, 2003 - Gephardt running for President in 2004

DES MOINES, IA - Vice President Dick Gephardt entered the 2004 presidential race. "Today, I announce my candidacy for President of the United States. Today, our country is safer and more prosperous than it was eight years ago. But, for too many, prosperity isn't all that's cracked up to be" Gephardt said in his announcement. Gephardt served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1977-1997 and as House Speaker from 1993-1997 before being elected Vice President in 1996.

May 2, 2003 - Bush running for President

MIAMI BEACH, FL - Former Governor of Florida Jeb Bush entered the 2004 presidential race at a rally in Miami Beach. "Today, I declare that I am a candidate for President of the United States. Our country deserves strong, effective leadership to defend our interests, grow our economy, and bring Americans together during a time of great challenge" Bush stated. Bush served as Governor of Florida from 1995-2003 and is the son of Former President George Bush, and the brother of current Governor of Texas George W. Bush.

May 10, 2003 - Hutchison to make second presidential run

AUSTIN, TX - Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas announced that once again, she would seek the presidency. "I will be the candidate of change, and that's why I'm seeking this nomination" Hutchison told CNN. Hutchison has served in the U.S. Senate since 1993.

May 24, 2003 - Tancredo to run in 2004

CHARLESTON, SC - Congressman Tom Tancredo of Colorado declared he would run for President in 2004. "We need plain spoken leaders who will confront the challenges we face, which include a dangerous level of immigration and unfair trade laws" Tancredo said. Tancredo has served in congress since 1999.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »

The clown car has risen...
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 11:31:12 PM »

Just wondering what would the 1998 Midterms have looked like w/your scenario?

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »

Democrats keep the house and senate.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »

July 27, 2003 - Republican Presidential Candidates make their case in first debate

"I'm running for President of the United States because I want to protect our nation, revive our economy, and help unite our people in a way that helps us restore hope in our nation and in ourselves. In Florida, working with Republicans and Democrats, I reduced taxes by $18 billion, fought for medical liability reform, enacted the largest school choice program in America while raising standards in education, and I reduced the size of state government by 10% while increasing our state's rainy day fund from $1.2 billion to $7 billion in eight years. We added over a million jobs, and experienced more growth than all but two states during my time as Governor. I'm ready to lead our nation, I'm ready to reform our tax code and lower tax rates while closing special interest loopholes, I'm ready to reverse the regulatory burden created by this administration, and I'm ready to lead an effort to reform our immigration system, fix medicare and social security, and pay down our national debt. If we do these things, we'll see sustained economic growth and rising incomes again in our country. I'm also prepared to lead this nation at a time of chaos globally, I've had the experience of making tough decisions, and I'll lead a concerted, comprehensive effort to strengthen our alliances with our allies and defeat those who wish us harm. We need to restore hope and optimism in our country, and I'm asking for your help in doing so" - Jeb Bush

"In my eight years of Mayor of New York City, I reduced crime by punishing all crimes, we revived our cities economy through cutting taxes, and we plugged a budget deficit with fiscal discipline, not raising taxes. I feel that I have been tested and proven during good times and bad, and that is exactly what our nation needs in a President. Here at home, we've experienced eighteen months of either job loss, breaking even, or sluggish economic growth. It's because the current administration has failed to deal with our structural deficits, they have failed to cut taxes as dramatically as they need to be cut, and we have seen increases in the cost of health insurance over the last eight years because of increased government intervention into the market. I have experience taking on the special interests and leading an effort to reduce taxes and the size and scope of government, that's what I'll do as President. My economic plan calls for the largest tax relief in two decades and for making health care tax deductible and portable. Also, our next President must be able to deal with rebuilding Iraq and succeeding in Afghanistan. I have been honest and upfront about how I intend to succeed and that this conflict is not one that will be short, but it is one America must win, and I have the leadership qualities necessary to help us succeed" - Rudy Giuliani

"After twenty years of failing to address the three great challenges our nation faces, I am here before you today ready to confront them head on. The first is the immigration issue - mass migration to the United States from foreign nations has led to depressed American wages, a growing welfare state, and greater competition over jobs. I will secure the border, make sure those local governments giving benefits to those here illegally lose all aid from the federal government, and we will force those who are here illegally to go home. The second major challenge is trade. Governor Bush's father and Joe Lieberman have involved us in trade deals which have not been enforced, our currency has been manipulated, and manufacturing has gone off shore. I'll reverse that tide and fight for American workers. Finally, both Rudy Giuliani and George Pataki are pro-choice and in my mind, 56 million aborted fetuses since 1974 should not be tolerated in America, let alone the Republican Party. We need to do whatever it takes to protect human life, and one of my top priorities will be to overturn Roe Vs. Wade. I know I'm not the candidate of the political class, they are all for Jeb Bush or Rudy. But, I hope to have the support of clear, consistent, conservatives who care about issues and not money" - Tom Tancredo

"This nation needs strong, conservative leadership. Dick Gephardt will continue Joe Lieberman's policies of borrowing without voter approval, appointing liberal judges, and getting involved in foreign wars congress won't declare. As President, I have a five point plan to restore American greatness. First, we'll throw out our current tax code and move to a 10% flat tax with no deductions and replace the corporate income tax with a 5% sales tax on items above $100, it's revenue neutral and it'll create jobs. Second, I will freeze federal spending until we balance the budget without having to borrow money to do so. Third, I will fight to over-turn Roe Vs. Wade and protect innocent life. Fourth, I'll end the war in Iraq and focus on defeating our enemies in Afghanistan. Fifth, I will fight for and sign a federal marriage amendment to the constitution. If you support big government republicanism, Governor Bush or Mayor Giuliani would love to have your support, but if you believe in the party of Reagan and Goldwater, I'm asking for your vote. I believe government has gotten to big, we have moved too far away from our founding principles, and we have allowed the left to define who we are, well we Republicans seek to restore America’s promise as the left seeks to change the very foundation of who we are as a society, and I’ll stop them from being successful at that" - James Inholfe

“I stand here before you here today, determined now more than ever to fight for conservative values and change in Washington. I have agreed with many of this President’s decisions on foreign policy, and if elected, I would continue to stay on offense against those who wish us harm. But, we need to change the direction of our domestic policies. During the course of my career, I have always been a staunch fiscal, social, and national security conservative. I have fought for welfare reform, free trade, tax cuts, and sanctions against North Korea. I have amongst the highest ratings from National Right to Life in congress, and I'm proud to have been on the front lines in opposing Joe Lieberman's efforts to give taxpayer funding to planned parenthood. We need a President who will fight and advocate for conservative policies. That's why I'll oppose efforts to fund planned parenthood and get the government involved in health care. That's why as President, I'll fight for a flat tax and double border patrol agents to protect our southern border. Our conservative values are worth fighting for, and I'm the one who has fought for our values throughout my career- Kay Bailey Hutchison

“What America needs today is a turnaround, and I have done it before. When I ran for Governor of New York in 1994, I said that I wasn’t going to accept some of the highest taxes in America, the weakest economic recovery in the region, and continuously spending millions on social welfare programs without any provisions requiring work. Despite what the polls and pundits said, I won that election, and I’m a Republican standing here before you today who has won in a blue state three times. In New York, I cut taxes 17 times, reduced welfare rolls by 40% because we required work before the federal government did, and we took on crime and have experienced the largest drop in crime of any state during the last 9 years. Today, our nation is at war. Our economy is in recession. Our national debt is at a record high. Washington is more dysfunctional now than ever. I have a record of breaking through the gridlock and leading, and that’s exactly what I want to do as President. My top priorities will be protecting our country, reforming our health care system through tort reform, and reversing Joe Lieberman's new spending - it's time for proven leadership” - George Pataki

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:02 PM »

So The GOP is denied the house majority for 50 years...... Social conservatives are feeling rather ticked off over the left getting everything it wants on abortion and "civil unions". I'm expecting some serious conservative or conservatarian backlash soon. How's Ron Paul doing in this timeline?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2015, 08:56:13 PM »

So The GOP is denied the house majority for 50 years...... Social conservatives are feeling rather ticked off over the left getting everything it wants on abortion and "civil unions". I'm expecting some serious conservative or conservatarian backlash soon. How's Ron Paul doing in this timeline?

Like in real life, Ron Paul is not a household name in 2003.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies