1992: Bush wins re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:08:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1992: Bush wins re-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 1992: Bush wins re-election  (Read 17113 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »

Election 1992
George Bush / Dan Quayle (R) 40% 295 EV
Bill Clinton / Al Gore (D)  38% 243 EV
Ross Perot / James Stockdale (I) 22%

Key events of the George Bush Presidency, January 20, 1993 - January 1, 1995
- January 28, 1993 - President Bush implemented the North American Free Trade Agreement into law
- May 1, 1993 - President Bush vetoes a $200 billion Democratic tax increase
- August 27, 1993 - President Bush signs the largest medicaid expansion in U.S. history into law
- February 4, 1994 - President Bush and Democrats in Congress can't agree on a budget, shutting down the federal government for 2 days
- February 6, 1994- President Bush signs a budget into law which slashes $175 billion in spending over five years and freezes taxes while increasing local aid to education and medicaid payments
- May 2, 1994 - President Bush signed bi-partisian campaign finance reform into law, capping the amount candidates are allowed to receive from donors
- August 17, 1994 - President Bush signs into law a "Opportunity Tax Credit" into law, allowing businesses to deduct the cost of hiring employees off of social welfare for three years
- November 1, 1994 - Democrats make gains in the U.S. Senate and U.S. House. Democrats won two U.S. Senate seats in Florida and Washington while winning 12 house seats

January 2, 1995 - Gramm to seek GOP Presidential Nomination

AUSTIN, TX - Senator Phil Gramm of Texas, often a rare Republican opponent of the Bush administration, announced his intention to seek the Republican Presidential Nomination in 1996. "Our party and our country are headed in the wrong direction. Since George Bush took office in 1989, our national debt has increased by 30%, spending has increased faster than inflation, taxes are up by $200 billion, and 2.7 million Americans fewer are working today than in 1989. Our party is about free markets and a stronger economy, not more government. Our country demands better jobs and more economic freedom" Gramm stated.

January 27, 1995 - Weld running for President

BOSTON, MA - Governor William Weld of Massachusetts, a moderate Republican who won re-election in 1994 by just 10,000 votes, declared his intention to run for President in 1996. "I seek the Presidency of the United States because I believe we have unfinished business. Ronald Reagan showed us how to create jobs and end the cold war. George Bush showed us how to face international crisis and prevail. He has gotten us through a recession and into recovery. Now what? I think it's time we focus on the education crisis in America by raising standards, ending tenure, and promoting parental control" Weld stated.

February 4, 1995 - Florio in for '96

JERSEY CITY, NJ - Governor of New Jersey Jim Florio, a controversial figure in his home state, announced that he would be a candidate for President in 1996. "I enter this presidential race because my values are your values. I don't apologize for opposing George Bush's economic policies and calling for a tax reform plan that gives tax relief to the middle class while asking the wealthy to pay their fair share. I don't apologize for my support for investing in our infrastructure and in putting people back to work through programs similar to the New Deal" Florio told supporters.

February 25, 1995 - Lieberman running for President

MANCHESTER, NH - Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, a moderate in his party, announced he would run for President in 1996. "I want to be the President who finally balances the budget without raising taxes. I want to re-direct funds away from pet projects and waste in government and instead, we should ensure that social security and medicare are here to stay. I believe we have to embrace the notion that government shouldn't be big and intrusive, but that it should also meet it's obligations to taxpayers" Lieberman stated.

March 15, 1995 - Dukakis tries it again

IOWA CITY, IA - Seven years after his failed white house bid, Former Governor of Massachussetts Michael Dukakis announced he would again seek the presidency in 1996. "George Bush hasn't been a responsible steward of your tax dollars. I will be. George Bush entered into NAFTA without negotiating for worker's rights. I'll fight for those rights. George Bush and Dan Quayle have given billions away in special interest loopholes. I'll close those loopholes. George Bush and Dan Quayle haven't lived up to the promises of 1988. I'll live up to the goals of 1996" Dukakis said.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:43:05 PM »

Dukakis and Weld could possibly win both of their parties' nominations.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 08:10:39 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2015, 08:20:16 PM by dudeabides »

Dukakis and Weld could possibly win both of their parties' nominations.

That would be interesting!

March 24, 1995 - Republican Businessman running for President, takes on Bush/Quayle

CLEVELAND, OH - Businessman Morry Taylor told an Ohio audience that he would seek the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination. "The reason our national debt has skyrocketed, middle class wages have fallen, and so many manufacturing jobs have been shipped overseas is because politicians like Dan Quayle have made our tax code too complicated, and this administration decided to pass a trade agreement which makes it cheaper for companies to ship our jobs overseas. If we want the year 2000 to start an era of opportunity, it's time to reverse course, and that's what brings me to this election" Taylor stated.

March 28, 1995 - Gore running in '96

NASHVILLE, TN - Senator Al Gore of Tennessee, his party's Vice Presidential Nominee in 1992, announced his intention to mount a second presidential bid, having done so in 1988. "We Democrats believe in a balanced budget, welfare reform, tax cuts for working families, and gun control to protect our families. That's what this campaign will be about, and that's what the next four years should be dedicated to" Gore stated.

April 5, 1995 - Dole running for President

RUSSELL, KS - Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole announced his intention to seek the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I'm running for President of the United States because I have the experience to lead, and the judgement to fight for what's right in America. George Bush and Ronald Reagan have been great Presidents, there is no doubt. The question for America is, will we move forward with an agenda that includes tax cuts, a balanced budget amendment, and the appointment of strict constructionist judges, or will we go back to the days of high inflation, high unemployment, and out of control government?" Dole asked to a cheering crowd in his hometown.

April 23, 1995 - Wilder to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

RICHMOND, VA - Governor of Virginia Douglas Wilder declared his intention to seek the 1996 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Washington has failed to come together to help reduce urban crime, fix our broken tax code, they've failed to reduce our national debt, and they've failed to find a way to make sure social security and medicare is solvent for future generations. I say enough is enough, it's time for an outsider to come in, unite the nation, and get something done" Wilder stated.

May 1, 1995 - Quayle enters 1996 Republican Presidential Primary

HUNTINGTON, IN - Vice President of the United States Dan Quayle announced his intention to run for President in 1996. "Today, I announce my intention to run for President of the United States. I do so understanding the challenges these times demand. The truth is, our economy is again creating jobs, our nation is safer today than it was in 1980, and our tax burden is the lowest it's been since world war one. But, we still face many challenges. Too many of our children are not reading at grade level. Too many families still are sending too much of their hard earned paychecks to the federal government. Welfare has deprived thousands of the ability to be upwardly mobile. Our values are under constant challenge" Quayle told an audience in his hometown.

June 7, 1995 - Poll: Race for President Wide Open

Bush Approval
Approve: 45%
Disapprove: 44%

GOP Nomination
Dan Quayle 25%
Bob Dole 23%
Phil Gramm 20%
William Weld 15%
Morry Taylor 12%
Other/Undecided 5%

Democratic Nomination
Al Gore 30%
Douglas Wilder 25%
Jim Florio 20%
Michael Dukakis 10%
Joe Lieberman 8%
Other/Undecided 7%

General Election Match-Ups

Al Gore 47%
Dan Quayle 46%

Al Gore 46%
Bob Dole 46%

Al Gore 46%
Phil Gramm 46%

Douglas Wilder 47%
Dan Quayle 44%

Douglas Wilder 46%
Bob Dole 45%

Douglas Wilder 46%
Phil Gramm 44%

Dan Quayle 45%
Jim Florio 45%

Bob Dole 47%
Jim Florio 45%

Phil Gramm 46
Jim Florio 45%
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »

American attitudes will probably be further left with another four years of Bush rather than the opposite turn it took in the Clinton years.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:36:51 AM »

American attitudes will probably be further left with another four years of Bush rather than the opposite turn it took in the Clinton years.
I don't hold high hopes for Quayle to win in the general election.  Sixteen years of Republicans?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:56 PM »

I don't hold high hopes for Quayle to win in the general election.  Sixteen years of Republicans?

We shall see, but I will say this: it is already rare that the same party holds power for 16 years....
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 10:01:13 PM »

We shall see, but I will say this: it is already rare that the same party holds power for 16 years....

Don't you dare make Quayle president.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 10:54:11 PM »

Idaho Pharms need luv 2! Potatoe4PrezIn96!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 08:53:01 PM »

[b August 5, 1995 - Ames, IA Straw Poll - GOP Hopefuls make their case[/b]

"I'm running for President because I have the experience to lead this country, the vision to move us forward, and I know what these times demand. I'm proud to have stood with President Reagan in passing his budgets which cut taxes and rebuilt our military. As Vice President, alongside George Bush, I have had the opportunity to preside over the first post-Cold War administration. We've opened our markets, cut taxes on small businesses, and we fought for conservative judges. But, our work is not yet done. We need to have long-term robust economic growth, keep the peace, and preserve our values. As President, I will fight to cut income taxes by 30% across the board and to eliminate taxes on capital gains. I'll be an advocate for open markets and minimal regulations. I'll also use the experience I've gained over the last seven years to make sure America is a leader in this world. I'll also fight to preserve our values - I will stand up and defend the pro-life position, and we will promote family in our society" - Dan Quayle

"The fact of the matter is, our party and our country have a choice. Under President Reagan, our party and our country embraced lower taxes, limited government, and a strong national defense. But, since Ronald Reagan left the white house, we've seen government spending increase faster than the rate of inflation, taxes have increased by 12% since 1988, and we experienced a recession which has reduced home ownership to the lowest levels in two decades. My friends, the truth is, when the time came to support the largest tax increase in a generation, Dan Quayle said yes, and Bob Dole voted yes. I went against my leadership and voted no. I now propose a 12% flat income tax and a 25% flat corporate tax because you deserve to keep more of what you earn. When it came time to expand medicaid instead of expanding health care savings accounts, which I proposed as an alternative, Dan Quayle said yes, and Bob Dole voted yes. I will fight for restraining the welfare state and instead, we will balance the federal budget by the end of my first term and we will make health care savings account the rule as opposed to the exception to the rule. When Bob Dole and the Democrats were debating how much to increase unemployment benefits by last year, I joined Newt Gingrich in fighting for welfare reform. The Democrats stopped us, but we will win in 1996 and reward work, not dependency on government. I'm running for President as a conservative, and I have a record to demonstrate to America that I mean what I say and say what I mean" - Phil Gramm

"My agenda for America is clear. Real welfare reform, reversing the tax increase of 1990, cutting marginal tax rates by 15%, balancing the budget by the year 2000, and increasing the number of police on America's streets to combat drug use and gang violence. In some circles, it's popular to be critical of the decisions George Bush has made, and the votes I've casted. But, the results are clear. 2.8 million new jobs since January of 1994, the deficit is down by 78%, and wages have risen by 2.7% - the largest increase in seven years, last quarter. I'm proud of my public service. This election is not going to be about George Bush, though certainly our President's policies will be a part of the conversation. Like Ronald Reagan, George Bush has dealt with major issues in his administration. Thanks to President Reagan's leadership, this President inherited a strong economy and is the first President in four decades not to have to deal with the Cold War. George Bush drove Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, oversaw the end of the communist party in the former Soviet Union, and his trade policies have made a real difference in helping us compete in an ever-changing economy. Today, Americans demand a President who has been tested and proven. I have been tested in war and proven and peace, and I'm not afraid to lead this country. It's time for us to transition into a peacetime economy, but to also remain on offense in a complicated and sometimes dangerous world. It's time for us to take on the epidemic that is drug use, especially amongst our young. It's time for America to rise up and be all that we know she can be, all she has been, and all we want her to be." - Bob Dole

"In Massachusetts, the most liberal state in this country, I was the first Governor literally in decades who didn't grow the size of state government. In fact, we have the same number of government employees today than we did in 1991, the first time in five decades government didn't grow. I'm also the first Governor in 70 years not to raise taxes and in fact, I vetoed $1.2 billion in tax increases over the last three years. At the same time, we found ways to invest in education, health care for our seniors and poor, and we passed the toughest anti-drug laws in the entire nation. Drug use is up 38% across America, but with stricter sentences and more funding for rehabilitation clinics, our state has seen a reduction in drug use by 15% since I took office. I think my leadership model works, and that's why I want to be President of the United States. Washington should impose strict spending caps, we shouldn't go to the American people asking for more of their hard earned dollars whenever we can't find money for a program, we need to freeze the growth of government, medicaid and education should be primarily local, and not federal responsibilities, and while we should try to help those trying to overcome addiction, those who sell illegal drugs should see mandatory sentencing guidelines much stricter than they are today. I don't see where this is unreasonable. Restrain spending, stop raising taxes, more local control, tough on crime - that's what the Republican Party should be about, and that is the basis for the next President's agenda. The fact is, most of my opponents have been part of the problem in Washington, I seek to be the solution" - William Weld

"Fellow citizens, the truth is the politicians are trying to fool you. 2.8 million jobs have been added, yes. But, since the implementation of NAFTA, the manufacturing sector has averaged job losses that are of historic proportions. The truth is, NAFTA and this administration's trade policies have sent 200,000 jobs overseas since last year alone. Furthermore, they talk about rising wages - wages are lower today than they were when George Bush and Dan Quayle took office. On top of that, federal spending has increased by 23%, the size of the federal workforce has grown by 15%, and rural communities across this country have fallen on hard times. I'm a businessman, I know how to create jobs. Washington needs to enforce trade agreements and matters of commerce, but they have to stop raising taxes and increasing regulations. I say we move to a flat tax and reverse all the regulations this congress has implemented on Americans. I say we reverse NAFTA and stop sending our jobs overseas. I say we stop allowing China to cheat on trade. I say we fight for American industry, American jobs, and for our workers!" - Morry Taylor

Quayle wins Ames, IA straw poll

AMES, IA - Vice President Dan Quayle won the Ames, IA straw poll. Quayle won 1,274 votes compared with 1,017 for Phil Gramm, 997 for Bob Dole, 640 for William Weld, and 379 for Morry Taylor. "Experience counts, values count, that's the message of this great victory" Quayle told reporters.

September 15, 1995 - Democratic Presidential Hopefuls have different views on the future of their party, nation at South Carolina forum

CHARLESTON, SC - At a forum hosted by the South Carolina Democratic Party, the candidates vying for their party's presidential nomination each urged voters to support them for the purpose of moving the Democratic Party and the nation in one direction or another. Senator Al Gore, the 1992 Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee with the most support amongst the party establishment, urged Democrats to vote for him for the sake of allowing congressional Democrats to get legislation passed. Gore urged the passage of a minimum wage hike, doubling the earned income tax credit, universal health insurance for every child, and welfare reform - an area where he differed from some of his opponents. Running to Gore's left, 1988 Democratic Presidential Nominee and Former Governor of Massachusetts Michael Dukakis urged Democrats to support a "common sense Democrat." Dukakis vowed to fight for universal health care coverage, the reversal of NAFTA, and a reversal of George Bush's tax increase if elected. When asked how 1996 would be different from 1988, Dukakis said that Democrats were more eager to defeat Dan Quayle than they were George Bush. Senator Joe Lieberman, a self-described "Kennedy Democrat" proposed a "broad agenda." Lieberman, who broke with his party in support of the Gulf War but was the leading advocate for campaign finance reform along with Senator John McCain (R-AZ), said his priorities would be a federal balanced budget amendment, a 15% across-the-board reduction in income tax paid for by closing corporate tax deductions, higher standards in education accompanied by more aid to poor and urban school districts, welfare reform, and means-testing social security and medicare. Lieberman defended the Bush administration's foreign policy, separating him from his opponents. Governor of Virginia Douglas Wilder, considered by most to be a moderate, said his top three goals as President would be to restore cuts made to medicaid during the 1980s, universal health care access for veterans, and the enforcement of free trade agreements to make them fair. New Jersey's Governor, Jim Florio, challenged Al Gore, Joe Lieberman, and Douglas Wilder on their progressive credentials, labeling Gore as "a Republican in disguise" while attacking Lieberman and Wilder as trying to appeal to Republicans too much, citing their support for federal welfare reform. Florio touted his liberal record in New Jersey and called for stricter gun control laws, universal health care, and public financing of all federal elections.    

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 02:55:44 PM »

December 15, 1995 - Pre-Primary Endorsements

Dan Quayle
George Bush, President of the United States
George W. Bush, Governor of Texas
Rudy Giuliani, Mayor of New York City
Rick Santorum, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania
Tom Ridge, Governor of Pennsylvania
J.C. Watts, Congressman from Oklahoma
Dick Armey, House Minority Whip
James Baker, U.S. Secretary of State 1989-1994
Dick Cheney, U.S. Secretary of Defense 1989-1993
Dick Lugar, U.S. Senator from Indiana
Chuck Grassley, U.S. Senator from Iowa
Judd Gregg, U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
Robert Orr, Former Governor of Indiana

Bob Dole
Trent Lott, U.S. Senator from Mississippi
Gerald R. Ford, President of the United States 1974-1977
Howard Baker, Chief of Staff to President Reagan 1987-1988 and Former Senate Republican Leader
Pat Roberts, U.S. Senator from Kansas
Mike Hayden, Governor of Kansas 1987-1991
Strom Thurmond, U.S. Senator from South Carolina
Steve Merrill, Governor of New Hampshire

Phil Gramm
Newt Gingrich, House Miniority Leader
Jack Kemp, Secretary of HUD 1989-1993 and Former Congressman
Kay Bailey Hutchison, U.S. Senator from Texas
John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona
Steve Forbes, Magazine Publisher
Peggy Noonan, Reagan speechwriter and commentator

William Weld
George Pataki, Governor of New York
Tommy Thompson, Governor of Wisconsin

Morry Taylor
Pat Buchanan, Former Nixon Adviser
Duncan Hunter, Congressman from California

Al Gore
Bill Clinton, Former Governor of Arkansas and 1992 Democratic Presidential Nominee
Dick Gephardt, House Speaker
Tom Daschle, U.S. Senate Minority Leader
Harry Reid, U.S. Senator from Nevada
George Mitchell, Former Senate Majority Leader
Walter Mondale, Vice President 1977-1981
Tom Harkin, U.S. Senator from Iowa
Howard Dean, Governor of Vermont

Joe Lieberman
Bob Kerrey, U.S. Senator from Nebraska
Chris Dodd, U.S. Senator from Connecticut
Jeanne Shaheen, Congresswoman from New Hampshire
Zell Miller, Governor of Georgia
Evan Bayh, Governor of Indiana
John Rowland, Governor of Connecticut
Ed Koch, Former Mayor of New York City

Jim Florio 
Bill Bradley, U.S. Senator from New Jersey
Frank Pallone, Congressman from New Jersey
Ted Kennedy, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts
Bernie Sanders, Congressman from Vermont
Brendan Byrne, Former Governor of New Jersey
Jerry Brown, Former Governor of California and Presidential Hopeful in 1976, 1980, and 1992

Michael Dukakis
Rev. Jesse Jackson
John Kerry, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts

December 20, 1995 - BREAKING: Quayle to resign Vice Presidency to focus on Presidential Bid

WASHINGTON, DC - Vice President Dan Quayle announced that effective in 48 hours, he would resign the Vice Presidency to focus on his 1996 presidential bid. "For the last seven years, I have had the honor and privilege of serving as Vice President of the United States alongside a great American President. Under the leadership of George Bush, we drove a brutual dictator out of Kuwait, revived an economy once in recession, and passed landmark reforms in the areas of clean water and air, veterans health care, and trade enhancement. I'm proud to have played a role in this historic era. But, as everyone knows, I am seeking to succeed George Bush in the white house. While I seek the presidency, the current administration must be able to govern. So, today, I announce that I am resigning the Vice Presidency to focus on my campaign" Quayle stated. While Quayle supporters said he was putting the country's interest before his own in an effort to allow the Bush administration to function separately of a presidential campaign, critics charged that Quayle was simply pulling a P.R. stunt to distance himself from Bush, whose approval ratings were mixed.

December 22, 1995 - McCain takes over as Vice President

WASHINGTON, DC - Senator John McCain (R-AZ) was sworn in as Vice President of the United States after the resignation of Dan Quayle. "I am honored and humbled that my friend President Bush would ask me to have such a great honor" McCain stated.

Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 02:58:57 PM »

Well, this pointless move should prove embarrassing for Quayle. He'll be denounced as a quitter and an opportunist.
MichaelRbn
Rookie
United States
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »

Confirmation of a nominee to fill a vice-presidential vacancy takes weeks, if not months.  It doesn't happen in two days.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:20 PM »

January 4, 1996 - Iowa Caucus: Gore defeats Gephardt, Dole upsets Quayle

DES MOINES, IA - Senator Al Gore of Tennessee, considered the front-runner for his party's Presidential Nomination, won the Iowa Caucus handily, defeating Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder 40%-19% amongst caucus goers. Senate Miniority Leader Bob Dole defeated Former Vice President Dan Quayle narrowly, garnering 38% of the vote, compared with 36% for Quayle.

January 11, 1996 - New Hampshire Primary: Lieberman stuns the political world with independents voting for him, Quayle wins GOP contest

CONCORD, NH - Despite polls showing Al Gore winning New Hampshire's Democratic Presidential Primary, Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut prevailed. Lieberman, considered a long shot for his party's presidential nomination, courted moderates and independents in the weeks ahead of the primary. He defeated Michael Dukakis and Al Gore, winning 35% of the vote compared to 19% for Dukakis and 17% for Gore. On the GOP side, Dan Quayle beat Bob Dole 30%-27%, with Phil Gramm and William Weld in third and fourth respectively.

January 12, 1996 - Claiming momentum, Lieberman labels himself "the movement candidate"

LANSING, MI - Arguing that Americans are tired of partisanship, Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) told Michigan voters that he was "the movement candidate" as opposed to a "hyper-partisian hopeful." "We went to New Hampshire and brought a message of reform with us. We said that we will balance the budget, invest in education and infrastructure, fight for campaign finance reform, and we will cut taxes on working families" Lieberman said. "While George Bush and Dan Quayle have fought to protect corporate tax loopholes for special interests, our party has moved away from the John F. Kennedy era. Our party has called for billions in unfunded spending, we should be calling to restrain spending and pay down debt, not borrow from future generations to pay for today's projects" Lieberman said. Lieberman defended his party's progressive views on social issues, but argued that "big government liberalism is not only a losing message, it's an irresponsible message." "I will protect our existing entitlement programs, but I want to see us create jobs by supporting small business tax relief, investing in education" Lieberman declared.

January 14, 1996 - Florio calls for Lieberman to withdrawal and run as a Republican

DETROIT, MI - Governor of New Jersey Jim Florio, Democratic Presidential Candidate, held a press conference in which he called for fellow candidate Senator Joe Lieberman to end his presidential bid and instead run as a Republican. "Joe Lieberman said he doesn't believe we should embrace an activist federal government. He opposes more funding for HUD, he opposes universal health care, and he sided with Republicans on NAFTA. He's now calling for tax cuts and deregulation as opposed to asking the rich to pay their fair share of taxes, he should man up and admit he's a Republican" Florio stated.

January 17, 1996 - Quayle, Dole question each other on electabillty, ideology

GULFPORT, MS - Republican Presidential Hopeful Bob Dole slammed rival Dan Quayle as unelectable, while Quayle slammed Dole as both unelectable and too far to the political left. "Dan Quayle resigned as Vice President to focus on a presidential campaign, I think that's great for the Democratic Party. We need a nominee who can defend his or her record while also being able to show that they can not only campaign, but govern. I've led, and I'm not afraid to lead" Dole told supporters. "Bob Dole is desperate. In Washington, he's voted to give amnesty to illegal aliens, he opposed the Reagan tax cuts before changing his position, he has supported concessions on trade policy where the administration wouldn't, and he voted against tort reform on three different occassions - he's not only too liberal to be our nominee, while I've won two national elections as a vice presidential nominee, he was given the same opportunity in 1976 and lost" Quayle stated.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 10:10:10 PM »

January 25, 1996 - Michigan: Quayle, Lieberman claim victory as Dukakis defies expectations and Weld ends presidential bid

LANSING, MI - Republican Presidential Hopeful Dan Quayle won Michigan's GOP Primary by a comfortable margin, defeating opponents Bob Dole and Phil Gramm 37%-21%-19% respectively. William Weld, after placing last behind Businessman Morry Taylor, ended his 1996 presidential bid. On the Democratic side, Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) won a second suprise victory, with Michael Dukakis trailing Lieberman 30%-22%, a stronger showing than expected for the party's 1988 presidential nominee.

January 28, 1996 - Lieberman courts South Carolina Independents, argues for a "post-partisian Democratic Party

CHARLESTON, SC - Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT), fresh off campaign victories in New Hampshire and Michigan, told South Carolina voters he would be a "new kind" of Democrat. Promising to cap the growth in federal spending to the rate of inflation in three years, reduce income taxes by 20% across-the-board, and pledging for further reforms to the campaign finance system, Lieberman said he felt Democrats needed a change as well as the country. "John F. Kennedy ran for President in 1960 as a Democrat who was proud to fight for social change and individual equality, but he also was an advocate for tax relief, fiscal restraint, and government that was effective and small. Today, I'm running for President to reform our campaign finance system, to protect equal pay for equal work, to balance our budget and cut taxes on middle and lower income Americans and small businesses" Lieberman stated. Unlike his opponents, Lieberman is reaching out to independents in his campaign. While Lieberman narrowly won a majority of Democrats in Michigan, his strong support with independents won him the primary. In New Hampshire, Lieberman lost Democrats to Al Gore by two percentage points, but defeated Gore with independents by seventeen points, winning him the primary. Lieberman, a known fiscal conservative, is best known for have leading two progressive causes: campaign finance reform and greater environmental regulation.

February 1, 1996 - Democratic establishment in panic mode

WASHINGTON, DC - Members of the Democratic Party establishment viewed their party's presidential primary process as hurting the party's chances for victory in the fall. Establishment Democrats, almost exclusively united behind Al Gore's 1996 Presidential Campaign, have expressed doubts in Joe Lieberman's ability to represent the Democratic Party. Yet, they also feel other hopefuls can't win. "If you are in the Democratic Party's establishment, you see Joe Lieberman who is running a campaign which basically moved the Democratic Party closer to the Republicans on the role of government, and yet other than Al Gore and Lieberman, no one else can win" stated one Democratic donor. Frustrated that the Democratic Party has lost four straight presidential elections, Governor of Georgia Zell Miller said it was time for a change. "Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis ran on increasing taxes and the scope of the federal government. Bill Clinton lost because of his personal baggage, in Joe Lieberman we have a candidate who is fiscally responsible, and we have a candidate with the integrity to lead" Miller stated. The fear, according to sources close to Democratic Party leaders, is that Al Gore is the only candidate who balances out the Democrats desire to win, but who also represented the values of the party. Establishment donors, consultants, and leaders in the party view Lieberman as too conservative, yet see Gore's more liberal opponents as unable to win. They view Gore's poor showings in New Hampshire and Michigan as prolonging a primary they thought he would have easily won. Arthur Meyers, a Connecticut political consultant who ran Joe Lieberman's 1988 and 1994 U.S. Senate campaigns, said the establishment has it wrong. "Joe ran on campaign finance reform, the environment, and protecting a woman's right to choose - hardly views outside the mainstream of the Democratic Party. But, on some issues there is no question he is not with the party establishment. Democrats can trust Joe to protect a woman's right to choose, protect the environment, and end the special interest hold on Washington, but all voters can trust him to reduce taxes, balance the budget, and even work with the Republicans to reform the welfare system" Meyers stated.

February 5, 1996 - South Carolina Primary: Quayle dominates, Lieberman upsets Gore for third contest in a row

CHARLESTON, SC - Dan Quayle defeated Phil Gramm and Bob Dole 30%-23%-19% respectively to win South Carolina's Presidential Primary. On the Democratic side, Joe Lieberman defeated Al Gore by less than 3,000 votes - each garnering 33% of the votes.

February 10, 1996 - President Bush appears at rally for Dan Quayle, 20,000 show up

CLEVELAND, OH - President George Bush made his first campaign appearance of the 1996 campaign season in Ohio on behalf of his first Vice President, Dan Quayle. The rally in downtown Cleveland attracted 20,000 people from across Ohio and neighboring states. "Friends, let me be very clear. Dan Quayle is ready to lead America into the new century" Bush stated. "I asked Dan Quayle to be my running-mate in 1988 because I saw an experienced, accomplished, and responsible young man and today, he's even more experienced and accomplished. Together, we presided over the collapse of the communist party, containing Saddam Hussein, and a growing economy - he's the right man to lead us in the next four years" Bush stated.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:47:41 AM »

I'm inclined to think that Lieberman won't win the nomination.
Also?  It will be amusing seeing some Quayle gaffes on the campaign trail.
Overall, nice update.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »

I'm inclined to think that Lieberman won't win the nomination.
Also?  It will be amusing seeing some Quayle gaffes on the campaign trail.
Overall, nice update.

We shall see...
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 10:37:22 PM »

February 14, 1996 - Alaska, Louisiana, Delaware Primaries: Lieberman sweeps, Quayle and Dole split, Gramm withdrawals

DOVER, DE - With all the votes in, Senator Joe Lieberman claimed victory in three more Democratic Primaries in Alaska, Louisiana, and Delaware. While Lieberman won decisively in Delaware and Alaska, his margin of victory over Al Gore was just 5,200 votes. On the Republican side, Dan Quayle won Alaska and Louisiana, but Bob Dole won Delaware. Citing poor fundraising, Phil Gramm ended his presidential bid.

February 17, 1996 - In week before Super Tuesday, two front-runners emerge

ATLANTA, GA - Long considered the front-runner for his party’s 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination, Former Vice President Dan Quayle’s status was further solidified when one of his two major challengers ended his presidential campaign. Phil Gramm’s exit from the presidential race left Bob Dole as Quayle’s only major challenger. In the last quarter of 1995, Quayle raised $10.2 million, compared with just $6.1 million for Mr. Dole. Additionally, in the first poll conducted after Mr. Gramm’s withdrawal, Quayle’s lead over Bob Dole grew from 34%-26% to 41%-21%. On the Democratic side, there was more of a suprise. Though Tennessee Senator Al Gore was always the front-runner, polling data throughout the pre-primary season showed Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder and New Jersey Governor Jim Florio not far behind. After upsetting Gore in New Hampshire and South Carolina, Lieberman swept contests in Alaska, Louisiana, and Delaware. Running to “reform government and ensure prosperity,” Lieberman has become a bit of an odd front-runner. Exit polling showed that while Gore and Lieberman have been virtually tied with Democrats, it was the overwhelming support Lieberman has won from independents voting in the Democratic primary that has made him the front-runner. Sitting on top of national polls and with fundraising about equal to Al Gore, Joe Lieberman now enjoys front-runner status.

February 20, 1996 - Dole makes case to hometown audience

RUSSELL, KS - Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole made his case to those who know him best. “I believe that the key to winning this election is experience, it’s discipline, and it’s the ability to reach out and win not only Republicans, but independence” Dole said. Promising a 15% across the board tax reduction, a balanced federal budget, welfare reform, and the appointment of conservative judges, Dole said the difference between him and opponent Dan Quayle was electability. “Dan Quayle resigned as Vice President before finishing the job, I have run for Vice President and President while serving in the U.S. Senate. I have been in this job for three decades and don’t need any training as to the public policy issues facing America” Dole stated. “I have fought for conservative values, but I’ve also fought for legislation and won where I needed the support of Democrats, I know how to reach out to others. My friend Dan Quayle has not done that” he added.

February 24, 1996 - Quayle sweeps Super Tuesday contests, Dole wins Kansas & Nebraska, Gore and Lieberman claim victories, Florio & Taylor concedes defeat

WASHINGTON, DC - Of the fourteen states that voted in presidential primaries, Former Vice President Dan Quayle claimed victory in 12. Quayle secured victories in New York, New Jersey, Maine, Ohio, Michigan, Oregon, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, Idaho, and North Dakota. Quayle’s main opponent, Bob Dole, won victories in his home state of Kansas and neighboring Nebraska. On the Democratic side, Senator Joe Lieberman secured victory in seven contests, while Al Gore won five contests and Jim Florio won one. Lieberman won Ohio, Michigan, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, and New York as Mr. Gore claimed wins in Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Kansas, and Nebraska. Jim Florio won his home state of New Jersey and ended his presidential campaign. Both Florio and GOP Presidential Hopeful Morry Taylor ended their presidential bids.

March 1, 1996 - Wisconsin, Maryland, and Hawaii vote: Quayle dominates, Gore and Lieberman share victories, Dukakis withdrawals

MILWAUKEE, WI - Republican Presidential Candidate Dan Quayle defeated Bob Dole by double digits in GOP primaries in Wisconsin, Maryland, and Hawaii. On the Democratic side, Senator Joe Lieberman defeated Senator Al Gore in Wisconsin and Maryland, while Mr. Gore secured victory in Hawaii. Michael Dukakis ended his 1996 presidential campaign.

March 2, 1996 - Bob Dole concedes defeat, pledges to support Dan Quayle

"Moments ago, I spoke with Vice President Quayle and offered him my concession. I wished him well and pledged to do everything I can to make sure he's the next President of the United States. During the course of this campaign, we advanced much of the Republican agenda in the United States Senate. Though I end my presidential campaign, I will go back to Washington determined to fight for tax cuts, a balanced budget, and welfare reform. These are the things we ran on, and I'll continue to fight for them as the Republican leader in the United States Senate" - Bob Dole conceding defeat

Dan Quayle secures Republican Presidential Nomination

"Tonight, my fellow citizens, I can claim that I will be the nominee of the Republican Party for President of the United States. I want to first begin by thanking my family and campaign team for their guidance and support. I want to thank Senator Bob Dole, Senator Phil Gramm, and all of the other candidates for taking the time to fight for our country. I want to thank the American people for twice electing me to the second highest office in the land, and a special thanks goes to George Bush for asking me to join him. President Bush has been a great President. Over the last eight years, we have continued the progress of the Reagan era. We've opened up new markets, built stronger alliances across the globe, fought corruption in our nation's capitol, reduced taxes, and given more authority to local officials in the area of education. But, more work needs to be done. Today, Americans are over taxed, welfare has become a way of life for too many, values are being trampled, and our world is becoming increasingly complex. These times demand an experienced, proven leader who can get things done. During the course of this campaign, I've told you exactly how I intend to lead, exactly where I stand, and exactly what a Quayle presidency would look like. I will reduce income taxes by 30% and eliminate the capital gains tax, fight for conservative judges and the pro-life position, I'll work to overhaul our nation's welfare system, we'll increase parental choice in education, and we will ensure this world has strong, consistent American leadership. My friends, standing up for the free market, defending our values, and ensuring global stability is the obligation of the next President. Senator Gore and Senator Lieberman have missed the memo. Leadership is about fighting for what's right, not what polls tell you to do. They believe it's right for activist judges to interpret the constitution as they go along. They believe it's right to increase taxes on American business. They believe it's right to have a larger federal Department of Education. In Al Gore's case, he believes that ensuring our military is well equipped and well funded is fiscally irresponsible. That's really basically what he has said. We have a choice in this election, a choice between moving forward or going back to the Carter era, an era in which we saw massive inflation, higher unemployment, and a world in crisis. We need to be forward looking, we need to protect the values we hold dear, and we need to ensure America remains as great as she can be, and always has been" - Dan Quayle, victory after securing the 1996 GOP Presidential Nomination
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 10:27:37 PM »

March 5, 1996 - Lieberman wins California Democratic Presidential Primary

SACRAMENTO, CA - In yet another upset victory, Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) defeated Senator Al Gore (D-TN) to win California's Democratic Presidential Primary. Lieberman garnered 53% of the vote, ahead of Gore's 45%.

March 7, 1996 - Ahead of trio of primaries, Gore and Lieberman bring different plans, visions for the Democratic Party and the nation

"My entire life has been dedicated to social justice and fighting for responsible economic policies. As a young man, I marched for Civil Rights with Dr. Martin Luther King and was a young attorney who took on corruption in local government. As a state Attorney General, I fought corporate polluters and defended a woman's right to choose. In the U.S. Senate, I passed campaign finance reform, and broke with my party to support tax relief for small businesses and opening up our markets to foreign goods in passing NAFTA. I'm not here tonight seeking the presidency as a Democrat, I am running as a Democrat because I want our party to succeed, but I'm running for President to always put our country before anyone's politics" - Joe Lieberman

"My friend Joe Lieberman has done a lot to fight for reforms to the campaign finance system and I credit him with passing sweeping reform. But, there are some differences in this campaign. On tax cuts, education, and military spending, the differences between Dan Quayle and Joe Lieberman are virtually non-existent. I will always protect our country and I voted with Joe and very few Democrats to drive Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait. But, I voted against a 17% increase in our defense budget, paid for primarily through borrowing. Joe voted for that massive increase that was partially unfunded. On education, I believe in merit pay for teachers and funding for smaller class sizes. Joe has voiced his support of Dan Quayle's vision to basically privatize our education system in America. Finally, tax cuts. I have supported $200 billion in tax relief to benefit the working poor, Joe has proposed $750 billion in tax cuts, and he has not shown how he will pay for it" - Al Gore

"Four years ago, Al Gore had his moment to prove that he represented a new direction in the Democratic Party. Americans didn't buy it. I represent a new direction for the Democratic Party, but it's based on the vision espoused by John F. Kennedy in the 1960 election. I believe our country should invest in those priorities necessary to future economic growth. I'll fight for new investments in our infrastructure and in education. But, I'm also a staunch fiscal conservative. Al says my tax cut plan is $750 billion - that's false. My tax cut plan will cost $500 billion over the next six years, and 98% of it is paid for by closing 17 very specific corporate tax loopholes that exist in the code, the other 2% is through existing tax reductions congress passed already. The truth is, I have proposed a revenue-neutral tax cut, $100 billion in new spending over the next six years, and I have identified two revenue streams - $50 billion in spending reductions and projected revenue growth of $50 billion, to pay for new programs" - Joe Lieberman

"My vision for the Democratic Party and the country has been made clear during the course of this campaign. Democrats need to again fight for working families and reward work in the United States. I've said I'll raise the minimum wage, increase the earned income tax credit, fight to cover every child in America with health insurance, and reform welfare on a bi-partisan basis as President. For the last eight years, we have done a lot of investing in the wealthiest in our society. Our country now needs to invest in the working poor and working families who are struggling to pay the bills each and everyday" - Al Gore

"The Democratic Party must recognize that while government can play a role in promoting our values, it's role should be strictly limited to matters of justice and only regulating those things necessary to protecting the rights of each individual. But to be honest, my message is one that has attracted the support not only of millions of Democrats, but Republicans and independents as well. I'm a proud social progressive - I believe in a woman's right to choose and strengthening civil rights legislation. But, I'm closer to the political center fiscally. Yes, I think we need to aggressively pursue goals I've mentioned here tonight, but any item we spend money on needs to be paid for, and we must realize that government is not the answer to everything" - Joe Lieberman

"In the United States Senate, I'm proud to have sponsored bi-partisan legislation enacting the North American Free Trade Agreement which President Bush signed into law. Joe and I both agree on this issue. In fact, we agree with Dan Quayle on this issue, but Dan Quayle still has a very different view on many issues to me. Dan Quayle is running on the idea that a massive tax cut will automatically help the economic recovery continue. I disagree, I think the way to continue this economic recovery is to invest in our workforce in the ways I described tonight. I'm also supportive of opening up our markets and I will appoint a commission to study the effects of meaningful corporate tax reform similar to the reforms of 1986 which this administration has undone without congressional approval. The biggest difference between Dan Quayle and I is on education. I support smaller class sizes and merit pay, he has said he would eliminate the Department of Education and privatize our education system through a voucher program" - Al Gore

"There are two major areas of disagreement between myself and Dan Quayle. The first comes on campaign finance reform. With John McCain, I fought for the first major contribution caps and finance disclosure documents in our nation's history. Our work is not finished, we must now move towards longer waiting periods between contributions and a public financing option for candidates. George Bush signed McCain-Lieberman into law, Dan Quayle says he'd reverse it. The next is on economic policy. I voted for the Bush tax cuts, but the truth is this administration also has increased our national debt by 37% after promising to reduce the debt by a third. I will stop borrowing to pay for new spending, and my tax cut is 100% paid for, whereas Dan Quayle's is not" - Joe Lieberman

March 12, 1996 - Quayle: I'll run against Gore or Lieberman on the role of the federal government

ST. LOUIS, MO - Asked how he would transfer from the presidential primary to the general election, Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Dan Quayle said he would run against either of the Democratic candidates on the role of the federal government. "My opponents believe the federal government is here to have a major role in education, the environment, and economic policy. I believe that less should be done by the federal government; we should tax less, regulate less, and sue less" Quayle stated. "Senator Lieberman and Senator Gore have both opposed health care lawsuit reform, comprehensive tort reform, and now they defend the Department of Education, it's a very different approach to governing than the views I have" Quayle added.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 10:57:57 PM by TimTurner »

Quayle gets the nomination instead, eh?  Since the GOP has had the White House for 16 years he's unlikely to win in the general election.  So we most likely have either President Lieberman or President Gore in office come January 1997.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »

March 14, 1996 - Lieberman wins home state of Connecticut, Washington, and Texas

AUSTIN, TX - Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) defeated Senator Al Gore (D-TN) in three presidential primaries. Lieberman won his home state of Connecticut, 79%-19%, Washington 58%-41%, and Texas 51%-48%.

March 21, 1996 - With wins in Colorado, Illinois, and Pennsylvania, Lieberman wins majority of delegates, is declared Democratic Presidential Nominee

PHILADELPHIA, PA - With 1,235 delegates, Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) won above the required 1,229 delegates to become the Democratic Nominee for President. Lieberman is well ahead of Al Gore, who has just 417 delegates.

Joe Lieberman clinches Democratic Presidential Nomination

"Our victory tonight is a testament to the grassroots in American politics. I am so grateful to the broad coalition of support we have had across this country. I am thankful to my loving family, all of my friends, the people of Connecticut, my first class campaign team, and all the volunteers who have made this moment possible. Earlier, I spoke with my friend Al Gore and thanked him for running a spirited campaign. I told him we would work together not only to win this election, but to get this country back on the track to economic growth and greater social justice. This nomination means that there is a great change in American politics. During the first three quarters of this campaign, our fundraising and support was lagging. But, message triumphs money - we brought our message of economic growth, fiscal responsibility, government reform, and social justice across the country, and tonight we are proof that a message means more than support from the political establishment. Our campaign will continue to be about the issues we all care about. Dan Quayle, my opponent, will make the case that he's for limited government and lower taxes. The size of government has increased dramatically under his leadership, taxes have gone up, and the welfare state has grown. Our goals are clear. We seek a balanced budget, reducing taxes, reforming welfare, and paying for our priorities - we will again invest in education, our crumbling roads, and in workforce training programs. This is a pro-growth agenda, an agenda to strengthen the middle class, do what's best for our kids, and it's a responsible, realistic agenda. I also joined this campaign as a crusader for reform. I'm proud to have written the bill to place the first ever campaign donation limits and require reporting of all political campaign funding transactions. McCain-Lieberman has made a difference, but we need to have a public finance option for all elections, and we must have full disclosure of lobbying efforts in our nation's capitol. My opponent wants to repeal McCain-Lieberman and he opposes full disclosure of all lobbying activities. We also seek to protect a woman's right to choose and to strengthen hate crimes legislation, my opponent has opposed both efforts. On foreign policy, some say there isn't a difference between Dan Quayle and I. There is. My opponent believes the United States should ignore genocide in Kosovo, I couldn't disagree more. Our military must remain the strongest in the world, and America must always be a leader for both our security and stability in the world. I don't advocate being the world's police, but I do believe we have a leadership role to play in this world. My presidency will be dedicated to the idea that America is an exceptional country, but that we need to do some things to give government back to the American people. Together, I know we will work together to do the people's work" - Sen. Joe Lieberman, victory speech

Al Gore concedes defeat

"Earlier, Senator Lieberman and I spoke about the future of the Democratic Party and our country. Both of us are confident our party will win this November, and we are confident that we will work together to advance the values we both hold dear. I wish Senator Lieberman all the best, and I look forward to helping him become the next President of the United States. His victory is a historic moment in our country. His election will be historic, and his presidency will be. I want to be a part of helping our party, but more importantly our country, prosper during the Lieberman presidency, and I am committed to working with him" - Al Gore, conceding the Democratic Presidential Nomination
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 09:40:22 PM »

Joementum anyone?  He's the starting favorite, he's won the primary, he's only one election away from Oval Office, facing the VP from a party that has had the White House for 16 years.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 09:48:19 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2015, 09:49:55 PM by dudeabides »

April 4, 1996 - Poll: Nation divided over Bush, Lieberman leads

Bush Approval
Approve: 47%
Disapprove: 45%

Presidential Election
Joe Lieberman: 48%
Dan Quayle: 42%

May 5, 1996 - Media list of Vice Presidential Prospects

GOP
George W. Bush, Governor of Texas
Phil Gramm, U.S. Senator from Texas
John McCain, Incumbent Vice President of the United States
Dick Cheney, Former Secretary of Defense
Tom Kean, Former Governor of New Jersey
Elizabeth Dole, Former Secretary of Transportation
JC Watts, Congressman from Oaklahoma
James Baker, Former Secretary of State

Democratic
Bob Kerrey, U.S. Senator from Nebraska
Bob Graham, U.S. Senator from Florida
Bill Bradley, U.S. Senator from New Jersey
Jim Sasser, U.S. Senator from Tennessee
John Lewis, Congressman from Georgia
Dick Gephardt, House Speaker
Zell Miller, Governor of Georgia
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »

June 15, 1996 - Foreign policy affects nation, presidential race

WASHINGTON, DC - After months of a presidential campaign focused on domestic issues, foreign policy took center stage after President George Bush and Defense Secretary Richard Perle announced that Iraqi Dictator Saddam Hussein kicked UN weapons inspectors out of Iraq. The President called for congress to approve sanctions against Iraq, and he called on the U.N. to do the same. Both Republican and Democratic Presidential Hopefuls Dan Quayle and Joe Lieberman agreed with the President. What differed, however, was the kind of sanctions each candidate supported. Lieberman has voiced support for tough economic sanctions against Iraq using U.N. authority, while Quayle supports banning U.S. investments in countries that do business with Iraq.

July 17, 1996 - Lieberman picks Gephardt for Vice President

RICHMOND, VA - Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman announced that House Speaker Dick Gephardt of Missouri would be his running-mate in the 1996 election. "Dick Gephardt is a proven leader who can work with people to achieve results for all Americans" Lieberman said of Gephardt. Gephardt has been a member of Congress since 1977 and has served as Speaker of the House of Representatives since 1993, when Former House Speaker Tom Foley retired due to Democrats having their worst election year in decades. Gephardt is credited with helping Democrats win their largest majority in twelve years in 1994. While critics charge Gephardt is a Washington insider, supporters say Gephardt brings regional diversity to the ticket and can help Lieberman win more liberal Democrats who have doubts about him.

July 28, 1996 - Quayle picks Thompson as running-mate

MILWAULKEE, WI - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Dan Quayle selected Governor of Wisconsin Tommy Thompson as his running-mate in the 1996 presidential election. "Tommy Thompson has political courage, he has the ability to govern, and he is someone I trust to be Vice President of the United States" Quayle said of Thompson. Thompson has served as Governor of Wisconsin for the last nine years, were he spearheaded efforts to reform the state's welfare system, which served as inspiration for a Republican-backed bill to do the same at the federal level. While critics charge that Thompson is "too cozy with lobbyists", supporters say Quayle picked someone with experiencing winning as a Republican in a Democratic state.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 12:39:27 PM »

August 16, 1996 - Governor Tommy Thompson accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

“This election offers Americans a clear choice. It also offers the American people a chance. That chance is to continue to prosper, but to also restore the values that have endured our country. Our country was founded on the notion that every man, woman, and child should have the opportunity to pursue their own happiness free of the hand of big government. Our founders explicitly outlined the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. In many ways, this election is a referendum on their vision. Dan Quayle and I believe that the federal government has too much control over your tax dollars, the education of your children, and over decisions best left to states and more often than not, you. We believe the federal government is here to protect life - that’s why we will support our troops, contain Saddam Hussein, and ensure the world is more peaceful by ensuring strong American leadership. We also believe that it’s time to end the brutal practice of partial-birth abortions, and we know it’s time to reverse Roe Vs. Wade. The federal government is not here to teach your children, which is why we want to eliminate the Department of Education. Washington D.C. isn’t supposed to pick winners and losers, which is why we propose giving tax relief to not just some taxpayers, but to every taxpayer. We also believe that welfare is not supposed to be a way of life, so we will pass welfare reform that rewards work and discourages dependency. Our opponents vision is different. They believe the federal government should have involvement in health care, education, and even trade. For yet another election, the liberal Democrats are promoting the greatness of the federal government - we respond by promoting the greatness of ordinary Americans” - Tommy Thompson, Republican Vice Presidential Nominee

August 17, 1996 - Former Vice President Dan Quayle accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"I'm running for President because I have the experience to lead, and I'm running for President to continue down the path to peace and prosperity. My fellow citizens, under Presidents Reagan and Bush, America has continued to reach higher. Since 1981, we have seen the creation of 24 million new jobs, our tax burden has remained at it's lowest level since the 1920s, we have seen the collapse of communism, and we've opened up our markets to foreign goods. These are great accomplishments, but we also must confront the challenges of our time. Today, we are seeing a decline in our culture. Values like honesty and integrity, especially in government, are under assault. Violence still plagues many of our communities. Bureaucrats seek greater control of our lives. To confront these challenges, we must work together to have tough three-strike sentencing laws and end parole for violent offenders to reclaim our communities. We must work together to reverse Roe Vs. Wade and pass a constitutional amendment protecting human life in an effort to reclaim our values liberal activist judges have sought to deny us. We must work together to abolish the Federal Department of Education to allow parents to raise their children, not federal bureaucrats. We must work together to reduce taxes on everyone who pays taxes because the future of our economy relies on a nation where investment, savings, and production are not penalized. Each President has a purpose. For Abe Lincoln, it was rights for all. For Teddy Roosevelt, it was restoring the great outdoors for future generations. For John F. Kennedy, it was getting a man on the moon. For Ronald Reagan and George Bush, it has been keeping our country safe. For me, restoring the values that have endured us since the beginning of time will be my purpose. My opponent and his allies believe that Washington D.C. is a place where dreams are invented, I know that families is where dreams are invented, and I will use my experience and political capital to fight for all families across this great land to restore our values" - Dan Quayle, Republican Presidential Nominee

August 27, 1996 - House Speaker Dick Gephardt accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

“The differences in this election could not be more clear. Joe Lieberman and I have embraced an agenda of restoring the American dream and fundamentally reforming government. Our opponents have embraced an extreme agenda based on pure ideology. Joe Lieberman and I both have records of working across the aisle. Joe worked with John McCain to pass sweeping campaign finance reform, and I proudly worked with Newt Gingrich and President Bush in passing tax relief for 80% of American businesses. Those are just two examples. But, let’s look at the record and the vision here for a moment. Joe Lieberman and John McCain won praise from President Bush for their work on campaign finance reform. The President said this law, which he signed, would give power back to individuals during our election cycles. Dan Quayle at the time said he supported the law, but has since changed his position. He told lobbyists in Washington D.C. he’d fight to repeal McCain-Lieberman. Then, you have the medicaid expansion. President Bush worked with both parties to block-grant federal dollars to states for the purpose of helping to enroll over 5 million Americans who made too much to qualify for medicaid, but too little to afford a private health care plan, in a health care plan where the federal government, states, and private insurers could come together and help lower the cost of care. The plan has worked, yet Dan Quayle now calls it one of the biggest mistakes of his tenure as Vice President. Dan Quayle is going across this nation and telling people that he wants to cut taxes and to little else. He opposes bi-partisan legislation on health policy and campaign finance reform. Joe Lieberman and I won’t play politics with the lives of ordinary Americans. Joe Lieberman and I have disagreed with President Bush on more things than not. Yet, we have put aside our differences and worked with this President to get things done. That is a credit to the President, but also to the willingness of our party to put country first. It is in that spirit, that can-do spirit, that Joe Lieberman and I ask for your support” - Dick Gephardt, Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee

August 28, 1996 - Senator Joe Lieberman accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"When we began this campaign, we had little besides our ideas. Today, I stand before you here today, determined more than ever to fight to reform government and restore the American dream for everyone. For my entire adult life, I have stood up for what I believed to be right. I am proud to have marched with Dr. King and to be a part of a generation that helped end the brutal bigotry that plagued human history. Three decades later, I stand before you here today as the first Jewish American to be nominated by a major party for President. I am a person of faith, faith guides me. But, I understand that my responsibility as President will be to fight for all Americans. I want to help all Americans realize the American dream. I have put forth specific proposals to help grow our economy and ensure social justice for all Americans. For the last 16 years, it is no secret our party has been in the political wilderness. Now is our moment to show all Americans we are fighting for common goals, that we are in touch with all Americans, and that we are concerned with the issues facing all Americans. I believe in order to realize the American dream, we need to have a society where employment is maximized and dependency is minimized. I have a clear vision of where I want to lead this country. If elected President, I will put forth a series of budgets that seek to reduce taxes in a revenue-neutral way, make $50 billion in investments in education, health care for poor children, in our roads and bridges, and in worker retraining programs. I will also continue to invest in our military. But, we will balance the federal budget every year, and we will reduce the size of the federal government by 15% over the next five years. We will also reform government. I am proud to have worked with John McCain to place limits on political campaign contributions. I now believe it is time to have a public finance option for all federal elections. Now is the time to fight for banning lobbyists from being on the floor of congress. Now is the time for Americans to fight to rein in the power of the federal government and return power to the American people” - Joe Lieberman, Democratic Presidential Nominee
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 09:41:35 PM »

October 2, 1996 - Lieberman, Quayle debate domestic issues

"My opponent and I have a fundamental difference in philosophy. He believes the federal government should make decisions over education, health care, and that judges should decide what our values and laws ought to be. I disagree, I believe in limited government, the right to life, and that we should abolish the Department of Education and cut your taxes to help you grow this economy" - Dan Quayle

"This election offers Americans a very clear choice. The Vice President wants you to believe your choice is between a big government liberal and a strong conservative who will protect our values. That does not accurately characterize what this election is about. This election is about empowering Americans to strive for their full potential - it's about restoring the American dream and reforming government. To do so, I have put forth a plan that reduces taxes by 15% gradually, balances the federal budget, changes our campaign finance system even more than it's been changed under McCain/Lieberman, and I'll invest in health care for the poorest children, education, worker re-training programs, and our roads. We can do these things, pay down our national debt, and still protect social security and medicare. It requires fundamentally reforming government by slowing it's growth and cutting waste and inefficiency" - Joe Lieberman

"I have said that my presidency will be focused on restoring the values that have helped this country flourish to the institutions of government and to our public policies. Our country was founded on the idea that every life is sacred, and I will be the President who bans the practice of partial-birth abortion. I will appoint judges who interrupt the constitution of the United States and don't write law. Senator Lieberman has a 95% pro-abortion voting record and has voted against at least 23 George Bush judicial appointees. On taxes, there is also a difference - my plan would effectively cut taxes on the average American by roughly $1,800 - my opponent's plan would only cut their taxes by roughly $900. My opponent also voted for the 1993 and 1994 Democratic budgets which increased taxes by $250 billion. Senator Lieberman also believes the federal government should be involved in education, I want to abolish the Department of Education and send the money back to parents as school vouchers. I do accurately characterize what this election is about" - Dan Quayle

"Leadership is about doing what's right even when it's not easy. I'm a proud Democrat and am proud to have stood with my running-mate and the leadership of my party on protecting a woman's right to choose, supporting an expansion in health care benefits for millions of lower-income Americans, standing up for clean water and air, voting to raise the minimum wage, and opposing George Bush's 1993 and 1994 budgets which kept funding for worker re-training programs and education virtually flat. But, I have also taken on my own party and did what I felt was best. I was one of just ten senate Democrats who supported George Bush in Kuwait, one of seven who supported NAFTA, one of eight who supported a balanced budget amendment, and the only one who supported the President's 1995 budget because I was assured it did make investments in our military and education" - Joe Lieberman
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies