There are nearly 450,000 U.S. citizens enrolled in Mexican schools.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:08:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  There are nearly 450,000 U.S. citizens enrolled in Mexican schools.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: There are nearly 450,000 U.S. citizens enrolled in Mexican schools.  (Read 762 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:14:59 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-schools-americans-20150309-story.html

After deportations increased and the U.S. economic downturn caused more families to return home, the number of U.S. citizens enrolled in Mexican schools almost doubled over the last three years, with the total now nearing 450,000.

The transition for these American-born students is often no easier than that of Mexican immigrants entering U.S. schools — and often it is worse. Many encounter long delays in enrollment. Once admitted, many struggle to learn Spanish or have trouble adjusting to a new classroom culture and teaching methods.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »

That's tough.  Glad you shared the story, though.  We forget that immigration problems go both ways.

I knew a guy whose mother, after her divorce, moved from Illinois to Puebla.  He was 13 at the time and ended up going to school in Puebla for about a year and a half.  He had to learn Spanish quickly to catch up, and said that it was a big cultural adjustment for him.  These kids have all those problems and more.

There is some good news:

The federal education department will soon launch a campaign reminding schools of their obligation to admit every child.

Alacrity would be in order, both on the part of the local schools and on the government's part, but I don't know whether there will be any. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »

There are many more who are voluntarily back in Mexico. Double citizenship is very common, and there is also a large American resident population down here. Of course, I usually see the other side of this market here.

As for the documents... This, of course, is another illustration why requirements that seem trivial to educated, wealthy people may be highly challenging for the rest. I can apostille anything I need in NYC between 9 AM and 1 PM on the same day (if physically present). Would take a bit longer if I am not there: but I would manage. But the process involves 1) getting a copy of the document physically signed by an official or a notary (printed signatures not allowed), possibly having the notary's signature verified by the county clerk, and having the secretary of state office then verifying the county clerk's or the official's signature (that last is the apostille). At each office the payment method is different (some only accept money orders, for instance). I can only guess how intimidating it is for someone who is not familiar with such proceedings. And, then, of course, you have to satisfy Mexicans. First time I registered a newborn child took me about 3 weeks to find the judge willing to take my foreign documents: the local officials are also not very educated and, hence, not very willing to do anything unusual (no, there was no bribe involved).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies